The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Discussions

AC Milan Discussions Talk about AC Milan's tactics, AC Milan news, events, history, etc., in here. Also find out details on how to travel to Milan and buy AC Milan tickets.



View Poll Results: Who was a better striker
Ronaldo 1 11.11%
Marco Van Basten 5 55.56%
They were both equally good since Marco wasn't that fast and Ronaldo couldn't head a beach ball 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2008, 09:30   #41
albion tifo
Forever Milanista
 
albion tifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kosovo
Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
Default

And my vote goes to Marco Van Basten. It is difficult to compare this two guys cause both are one of the best strikers ever but I like Basten more.


Signature
albion tifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 10:42   #42
Wild
*Rejuvenation*
 
Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lebanon-Beirut
Fav. Players: Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zZ[-_-]Zz
factual events? how many that voted here have seen van Basten when he first joined Milan? have you?

what makes you think that report about Capello's comments were not made up by the media? didn't those reports also say that Buffon will join Milan? how many of those media information are actually true?

i have seen van Basten ever since he joined Milan and i have watched fat boy since his PSV days... i believe that is better than basin' it on videos and whatnot... and that is a fact...
I watched em both & I don’t blame ppl who consider Ronaldo better than MVB specially when Ronaldo’s fact is much better.
I also don’t blame ppl who say that MVB is better.
There is an argument there so don’t try 2 make it clear that MVB is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zZ[-_-]Zz
facts is not video footages & reports...
Facts r exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinni 17
It doesnt matter which one is better they are both legends and NOTHING can ever take that from them, Im just so happy that they will both be remembered in Milan history its a privelage to have had such wonderful players, it really makes it easy to bea Milan fan. Capello is a great coach I respect his views on Ronie.
Ppl shouldn’t consider Ronaldo as a big part in Milan history.
Same as Baggio , Rivaldo , Redondo , he was a great player prior 2 join Milan & with Milan he contributed much less.
On the other hand MVB is a Milan legend.
Lets not mix comparing the 2 as players with their Milan status.


Signature
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 10:48   #43
Wild
*Rejuvenation*
 
Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lebanon-Beirut
Fav. Players: Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Default

There was once a thread comparing all the legends.
After many days of arguments it was clear that , statistics wise , it is a battle between 3: Zidane , Ronaldo & Maldini.
MVB was never a part of the argument.
Am not stating that Ronaldo is better but only his stats r better.


Signature
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 12:32   #44
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi
 
DonippoKakaShevdini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Espańa/WDC
Fav. Players: Der Franco
Default

This is a more valid argument than one would think. Van Basten holds a legendary status at the Platini, Cruyff, and Beckenbauer level. Ronaldo isn't far off this list. He has not only consistently been effective at the International, La Liga, and Serie A domains, but he has recovered from multiple serious injuries as well in doing so. He has to be regarded as not only one of the finest strikers of his day, but of all time. His production speaks for itself. Look at his one season with both PSV and Barcelona. Almost 80 goals in 85 matches. Anyone else ever done that in two years?


Signature

The World will always be Red & Black....But Europe is Red & Gold.

Triunfa Espańa! Los yunques y las ruedas cantan al compás del himno de la fe.
DonippoKakaShevdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 19:26   #45
zZ[-_-]Zz
¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
 
zZ[-_-]Zz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fav. Players: Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
Default

Forza Milan...

Last edited by zZ[-_-]Zz; 24-06-2008 at 01:49.
zZ[-_-]Zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 19:47   #46
drucurl
Banned
 
drucurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Default

man above me:
That's why you read/watch from BOTH sources. It's not as biased as you think though....If Ronaldinho's hero could be Maradonna...and Tevez voted the BEST Corinthians forward, then there must be some fair reporting somewhere no?

Last edited by drucurl; 22-02-2008 at 19:50.
drucurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 22:11   #47
THE MALDINESTA
Lovin' Carin' N Nursin'
 
THE MALDINESTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I think it's called 'blue moon' ;)
Fav. Players: To many to mention, just see the nickname ;)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
MvBasten is the closest thing to a complete player. For a 6’3” player, moves like a 5’5” player. He can do anything. Shoot with both feet, dribble, headings and passing. The last 2 are something that Ronaldo isn’t capable. When it comes to speed, both are equally impressive. Ronaldo in 96 – 98 can run very fast but MvBasten on his best playing days can run 100 meter under 11 seconds. Ronaldo’s strength is on his dribbling and skill to get goals while MvBasten can create magic from almost nothing.

Medal collection from National Team, Ronaldo is definitely ahead of MvBasten because of the World Cup win in 02 and his goals in 3 WC. Throughout his career, MvBasten only played in 4 World Cup games and scored 0. He only have the Euro 88 medal to boast.

Club wise, MvBasten is ahead of Ronaldo. Ronnie won 2 UEFA Cups, 1 Inter Continental Cup and 1 Spanish La Liga. MvBasten won 3 Scudetto, 2 Champions Cup, 2 European Super Cup, 2 Inter Continental Cup.

In terms of legacy. I still have the feeling that MvBasten is ahead of Ronnie (although I can be VERY biased since he is my fave player of all time). His last game ever was in May 93 when he was only 28 (after 4 months lay off). He still have at least 3-4 good seasons ahead of him. He was forced to retire when he was at his peak. And in 92 he was at his best season ever before injury cut him short in November 92. He scored 12 goals in 9 league games, and who can forget that 4 goals vs IFK Gothenborg.

In the list of FIFA all time greatest player, MvBasten was voted in number 9. Ahead of him are the usual suspects like Maradone, Pele, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini (in no particular order). I can’t help think how he will be rated if injury doesn’t cut him short.

Capello said Ronaldo is better. He earns the right to say that. But let’s put it this way. He is a very tough and hard coach. He never smiled or applause when his team scores or won something important. The most he will do is nod his head in agreement. But he cried in the San Siro dug out and didn’t hide his tears from the camera when on August 18, 1995 MvBasten stepped on the field for a lap of honor to thank the tifosi.

Lastly, IMO Ronaldo embodied how the game should be played beautifully with all his step over, dribbling, speed and tricks. MvBasten is God's answer if we can ask Him to make us a complete player.
Nice bro.
For us who watched both of them in their prime times, would have more than 'love' to admit who's the better one.

Though I know Ronaldo won more with his NT, doesn't mean that he's better than Swan.
My vote goes to Marcel 'Marco' Van Basten, cause he made me want to watch more and more, his elegance on and off pitch was second to none.
To me he's the best package of gentleman, footballer,as well as coach.


Signature
THE MALDINESTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 22:30   #48
zZ[-_-]Zz
¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
 
zZ[-_-]Zz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fav. Players: Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
Default

Forza Milan...

Last edited by zZ[-_-]Zz; 24-06-2008 at 01:49.
zZ[-_-]Zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 23:02   #49
Wild
*Rejuvenation*
 
Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lebanon-Beirut
Fav. Players: Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zZ[-_-]Zz
so are you goin' to watch a few video clips of Maradona & Pele and from there decide who was better? you call those facts? please Wild... i expected better from you...

how about readin' reports written by other people? in Argentina... Maradona would be written like a god... likewise in Brazil... Pele is the king... so which is accurate?
I never said we should base our opinion on statistics.
I was explaining 2 u that statistics = numbers & not opinions.
Statistics = number of goals , assists .......


Signature

Last edited by Wild; 22-02-2008 at 23:12.
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 05:08   #50
takahan
World Cup Winner
 
takahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Singapore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zZ[-_-]Zz
so far it seems that among those have seen both van Basten & fat boy... Marco is in the lead...

i wonder why... maybe because they don't rely on video footages & reports written by others?
Or maybe they start to appreciate a player more when they retired.
This topic is very unclear right from the beginning.
The poll is about who is a better striker, but the topic title is who is better,
Are we comparing stats? ability? or contribution? or maybe even looks.

I would say Ronaldo is the world best scoring machine.
even better than MVB.

But MVB contribute much more to his nation, as a player and a national coach.
MVB also help to develope the rules and regulation of football.
After he raise his voice about getting injury from many bad tackling, Fifa responsed by enforcing a stricter rules about tackle from behind.
When is the last time you see Fifa response something positive to players complaint.

Conclusion
Ronaldo has more personal glory but MVB contribute more.

Last edited by takahan; 23-02-2008 at 05:12.
takahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 09:22   #51
GreatKalu
I still believe!
 
GreatKalu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Default

Two very talented forwards, both having injury problems. One tried his best to avoid and recover from his injury, while the other couldn't care less about what was causing his various injuries + has a never ending supply of excuses. One a Milan legend who kick-started this 20-year dominance Milan has had over Europe ... the other, a has-been who's retirement program went as per plan completely at Milan's expense. Enough? Please, don't degrade Milan legends. Thanks


Signature
SEVEN
GreatKalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 12:33   #52
Nielsenb41
Senior Team Member
 
Nielsenb41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Fav. Players: Schmeichel, Banks, Yashin, Manga, Preud'homme, Pfaff, Zenga, Sepp and Taffarel
Default

The question is who's a better striker, not who's the biggest Milan legend.
Nielsenb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 13:58   #53
zZ[-_-]Zz
¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
 
zZ[-_-]Zz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fav. Players: Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
Default

Forza Milan...

Last edited by zZ[-_-]Zz; 24-06-2008 at 01:49.
zZ[-_-]Zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 15:54   #54
atreides602
Cuore Rossonero
 
atreides602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: bucharest , romania
Fav. Players: gullit, maldini , pato, baressi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtherchot
Two very talented forwards, both having injury problems. One tried his best to avoid and recover from his injury, while the other couldn't care less about what was causing his various injuries + has a never ending supply of excuses. One a Milan legend who kick-started this 20-year dominance Milan has had over Europe ... the other, a has-been who's retirement program went as per plan completely at Milan's expense. Enough? Please, don't degrade Milan legends. Thanks
well said bro
atreides602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 14:04   #55
Madridista
not exactly a lightweight
 
Madridista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Pato, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Cassano, Drogba, Pandev, Balotelli, Benzema, Kaka, Isco, Jese
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtherchot
Two very talented forwards, both having injury problems. One tried his best to avoid and recover from his injury, while the other couldn't care less about what was causing his various injuries + has a never ending supply of excuses. One a Milan legend who kick-started this 20-year dominance Milan has had over Europe ... the other, a has-been who's retirement program went as per plan completely at Milan's expense. Enough? Please, don't degrade Milan legends. Thanks
Another insight in people's minds by our very own mind reading psychological expert. Did by any chance Ronaldo tell you he couldn't care less about his injuries and did you personally watch Van Basten trying his best to avoid (however the fuck you can do that) and recover from his injury? There's your definition about facts people - things that aren't what this guy said.

Anyway, everybody knows that in terms of Milan legacy Ronaldo is 1/100 of Van Basten. Trophy wise, they are around the same level, with Ronaldo's World Cup probably giving him the edge. The real question is who has been the better footballer overall?

One can simplify and say Ronaldo was faster, stronger and better dribbler and MVB could do headers, lobs and scissorkicks (like dru did in the poll). But these are two of the best strikers in history. They are much more than that.

Van Basten was a fantastic player, complete is the most accurate word, as objective people around here say. He scored amazing goals and had superb technique and finishing. But Ronaldo... He is something different. He has the x-factor, the aura of domination, the perfect sense and awareness for football, unmatched dribbling and elegance, better than MVB's. Ronaldo is beautiful football epitomized, his speed and strength combined with his technique and finishing defined an era of football since his arrival onto the scene. The entire concept of defending was reshaped after Ronaldo and strikers of his genre started emerging, unlike before, thats how good his style was. If Van Basten was the perfect striker, Ronaldo was the dream striker. Van Basten did his job perfectly, but Ronaldo not only did his job, he inspired people while doing so and showed what football really is all about. He was more of an artist than van Basten.

To me Ronaldo is better than Van Basten, because of the fact that he is was more spectacular and because he had the ultimate forward's mental, physical and technical ability. Ronaldo can dazzle the way Van Basten despite all his striking prowess never could. Ronie can create, can confuse defenders with his feints and one-twos, can surprise with a single deciding pass or long curled (placed) shot. Van Basten couldn't do these things. People may consider workrate or effort more important, but that is the variety in understanding of basic football values; different cultures of football. I for one am a believer that beautiful playing - meaning power, pace and skill - is the essence of the game, others believe that the key is teamwork, spirit, loyalty, commitment... That is a crucial difference in viewpoints, maybe thats why I'm the minority; a player fan first and then team unlike most football fans - I admire the individual before the collective.

I believe while Van Basten was a nightmare for goalkeepers, Ronaldo was more of a nightmare for goalkeepers and defenders because of his ability to work his way up from deep, using his incredible footballing brain, quick feet and upper body strength. While Van Basten with his heading was probably more complete as a striker, Ronaldo was more complete as a forward/attacker - while MVB's finishing was lethal from a wider range of positions, Ronaldo is master of getting into a perfect position to score. In that aspect, I believe Ronaldo had a better general footballing instinct from Van Basten, one only equaled by Maradona. That is one of the reasons why I think that while Van Basten is in the 2nd batch of legends, with Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Platini, Muller, Rivelino, Zico, Romario, Maldini, Best, Charlton, Henry etc., Ronaldo is up there among the very greatest - Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Zidane.

Anyway, this is a great topic drucurl, unfortunately polluted by the garbage the quoted poster has put forward.


Signature

#ForeverMario
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 14:56   #56
karish
Kaka
 
karish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Fav. Players: R9,kaka,Pato,Sheva,R80,Seedorf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9
Another insight in people's minds by our very own mind reading psychological expert. Did by any chance Ronaldo tell you he couldn't care less about his injuries and did you personally watch Van Basten trying his best to avoid (however the fuck you can do that) and recover from his injury? There's your definition about facts people - things that aren't what this guy said.

Anyway, everybody knows that in terms of Milan legacy Ronaldo is 1/100 of Van Basten. Trophy wise, they are around the same level, with Ronaldo's World Cup probably giving him the edge. The real question is who has been the better footballer overall?

One can simplify and say Ronaldo was faster, stronger and better dribbler and MVB could do headers, lobs and scissorkicks (like dru did in the poll). But these are two of the best strikers in history. They are much more than that.

Van Basten was a fantastic player, complete is the most accurate word, as objective people around here say. He scored amazing goals and had superb technique and finishing. But Ronaldo... He is something different. He has the x-factor, the aura of domination, the perfect sense and awareness for football, unmatched dribbling and elegance, better than MVB's. Ronaldo is beautiful football epitomized, his speed and strength combined with his technique and finishing defined an era of football since his arrival onto the scene. The entire concept of defending was reshaped after Ronaldo and strikers of his genre started emerging, unlike before, thats how good his style was. If Van Basten was the perfect striker, Ronaldo was the dream striker. Van Basten did his job perfectly, but Ronaldo not only did his job, he inspired people while doing so and showed what football really is all about. He was more of an artist than van Basten.

To me Ronaldo is better than Van Basten, because of the fact that he is was more spectacular and because he had the ultimate forward's mental, physical and technical ability. Ronaldo can dazzle the way Van Basten despite all his striking prowess never could. Ronie can create, can confuse defenders with his feints and one-twos, can surprise with a single deciding pass or long curled (placed) shot. Van Basten couldn't do these things. People may consider workrate or effort more important, but that is the variety in understanding of basic football values; different cultures of football. I for one am a believer that beautiful playing - meaning power, pace and skill - is the essence of the game, others believe that the key is teamwork, spirit, loyalty, commitment... That is a crucial difference in viewpoints, maybe thats why I'm the minority; a player fan first and then team unlike most football fans - I admire the individual before the collective.

I believe while Van Basten was a nightmare for goalkeepers, Ronaldo was more of a nightmare for goalkeepers and defenders because of his ability to work his way up from deep, using his incredible footballing brain, quick feet and upper body strength. While Van Basten with his heading was probably more complete as a striker, Ronaldo was more complete as a forward/attacker - while MVB's finishing was lethal from a wider range of positions, Ronaldo is master of getting into a perfect position to score. In that aspect, I believe Ronaldo had a better general footballing instinct from Van Basten, one only equaled by Maradona. That is one of the reasons why I think that while Van Basten is in the 2nd batch of legends, with Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Platini, Muller, Rivelino, Zico, Romario, Maldini, Best, Charlton, Henry etc., Ronaldo is up there among the very greatest - Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Zidane.

Anyway, this is a great topic drucurl, unfortunately polluted by the garbage the quoted poster has put forward.
nice said my friend i think the same way you think ronnie is tha best
karish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 15:01   #57
gaizka22
Apprentice father
 
gaizka22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jakarta - Indonesia
Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9
The entire concept of defending was reshaped after Ronaldo
Fast dribblers have always been around, the last before Ronaldo is Romario but I don't see anything changing. The entire concept of defending is changing because nowadays teams took more cautious route in the game and focus more on the result. 4 defenders, 2 DM, 1 striker. And may I add that tackles from behind and stronger punishment started after MvBasten complained about the 'treatment' he received from defenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9
Ronie can create, can confuse defenders with his feints and one-twos, can surprise with a single deciding pass or long curled (placed) shot. Van Basten couldn't do these things.
Both can create chances for themselves equally good but MvBasten is better in terms of creating chances for other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9
I believe while Van Basten was a nightmare for goalkeepers, Ronaldo was more of a nightmare for goalkeepers and defenders because of his ability to work his way up from deep, using his incredible footballing brain, quick feet and upper body strength.
So a striker like MvB was only a threat to goalie? Show me a striker who only pose threats to goalie and never to a defender at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9
...while MVB's finishing was lethal from a wider range of positions, Ronaldo is master of getting into a perfect position to score.
The term "Getting into perfect position" only applies to box striker (Pippo, RvNistelrooy), never to Ronaldo who is not at its best in terms of receiving assists and scoring, he is at his best creating chances from himself from outside the box. MvB can do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9
In that aspect, I believe Ronaldo had a better general footballing instinct from Van Basten, one only equaled by Maradona. That is one of the reasons why I think that while Van Basten is in the 2nd batch of legends, with Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Platini, Muller, Rivelino, Zico, Romario, Maldini, Best, Charlton, Henry etc., Ronaldo is up there among the very greatest - Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Zidane.
The greatest players is always debatable. Let's use fact, which is how all those players fared in the list of FIFA greatest ever player from online voting by the fans.

We could say that anybody proficient enough with the net (proficient enough to enable him/her to join online voting) are mostly those in the age range of 18 - 35. Those age are very exposed to Ronaldo, especially in terms of highlights, live coverage and video from the net. Why didn't Ronaldo name make the top 10?

As much as you try to be fair, your own very nick immediately showed which way you're leaning.


Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 15:16   #58
vashil
National Team Player
 
vashil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mauritius
Fav. Players: Maradona,Nesta,Sheva,Pirlo, Gattuso,Crespo,Riquelme, Sneijder,Sergio Ramos,Beck,aguero
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
As much as you try to be fair, your own very nick immediately showed which way you're leaning.

you too your fav player shows it all...

cmon ronaldo is the very best
vashil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 15:23   #59
gaizka22
Apprentice father
 
gaizka22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jakarta - Indonesia
Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashil
you too your fav player shows it all...
I know someone will mention that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashil
cmon ronaldo is the very best
I guess we agree to disagree then


Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 16:00   #60
Madridista
not exactly a lightweight
 
Madridista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Pato, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Cassano, Drogba, Pandev, Balotelli, Benzema, Kaka, Isco, Jese
Default

Convinient for you to take single lines and reply to them. Anyway I'll respond:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
Fast dribblers have always been around, the last before Ronaldo is Romario but I don't see anything changing. The entire concept of defending is changing because nowadays teams took more cautious route in the game and focus more on the result. 4 defenders, 2 DM, 1 striker. And may I add that tackles from behind and stronger punishment started after MvBasten complained about the 'treatment' he received from defenders.
Fast dribblers have always been around, but I wasnt talking about them, but about the combination of speed, technique, finishing and power for the strikers. Before Ronaldo, the strikers were mainly divided been the quick nifty striker type of Romario, Bebeto, Zola, Baggio and more often the classic powerhouse like Lineker, Shearer, Bierhoff, Batistuta etc. The first lacked the power and the second lacked the technique and beauty. Ronaldo combined the best out of them two, even though there were players like Suker, Stoichkov, Van Basten and Vieri who were somewhere in between, still they weren't as balanced nor as gifted as Ronaldo in terms of physical, mental and technical ability.

As for the defences changing, I think that after Ronaldo (and as similar players started to emerge - like Sheva, Henry, Eto'o) much more emphasis were put on collective, tactical defending instead of using the tall, strong intimating sweeper to mark the striker out. The offside trap was also more seldom used, as after Ronaldo it was proven that defending from deep together with midfielders is more effective. That is how I think Ronaldo as the prototype and at the same time culmination of that striker class revolutionized football since the mid nineties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
Both can create chances for themselves equally good but MvBasten is better in terms of creating chances for other.
I disagree, Ronaldo's vision and passing accuracy is better than Van Basten's and the way he gets the attention and draws the defenders and creates space for others is better. Also, again I will mention, Ronaldo's habit to come in from the deep or from the wings is one of the things that distinguish him. Van Basten never participated in the build up as much as Ronaldo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
So a striker like MvB was only a threat to goalie? Show me a striker who only pose threats to goalie and never to a defender at the same time?
I meant in terms of the fear factor - Ronaldo had the defenders more worried about what he's gonna do next than Van Basten did, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
The term "Getting into perfect position" only applies to box striker (Pippo, RvNistelrooy), never to Ronaldo who is not at its best in terms of receiving assists and scoring, he is at his best creating chances from himself from outside the box. MvB can do both.
Ronaldo, especially post 2002 also became an expert in poaching, having slightly altered his style because of the physical limitations. However what I was really talking about was Ronaldo's ability to make the perfect run for a though ball, beat the offside trap and get into a good one on one position with the keeper. The sense/instinct of making a lightning quick off the ball diagonal run from behind the lines is one of Ronaldo's best abilities, aided by his speed. But after the injury, he also started using other elements more often, like long shots, tap-ins, crosses etc. (what dru's been sayin 'reinvented himself'). So Ronaldo also could do both, only that he used the more attractive approach more often than the other, when he was able to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
The greatest players is always debatable. Let's use fact, which is how all those players fared in the list of FIFA greatest ever player from online voting by the fans.

We could say that anybody proficient enough with the net (proficient enough to enable him/her to join online voting) are mostly those in the age range of 18 - 35. Those age are very exposed to Ronaldo, especially in terms of highlights, live coverage and video from the net. Why didn't Ronaldo name make the top 10?
I don't see how anyone can disagree with the classification I made, but for the sake of the argument, lets say its true. However that list was made while Ronaldo was still active. Now that he's gotten close to retirement and people could evaluate his entire career, I think everywhere I read he was mentioned in the first class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
As much as you try to be fair, your own very nick immediately showed which way you're leaning.
Whats not fair is shoving that in my face; should I change the nick to be taken seriously? Come on, read what I wrote and respond to it and not to the nick.


Signature

#ForeverMario

Last edited by Madridista; 28-03-2008 at 16:05.
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:27.





Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2002-2011 The Red & Black Forums. These are fan forums and are in no way affiliated with AC Milan S.p.A.