Question about Istanbul

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Hey all,

Have planned a ten day trip to Istanbul. Flying out on the 18th. I was just wondering if anyone in here is from Istanbul or has been there in the last 2 yrs or so.

If yes, I have a few questions. Was hoping someone would be kind enough to answer.

1) What is the best, cheapest as well as safest mode of transportation within the city?

2) Any recommendations of places that are a MUST see?

3) Recommendations for places to eat? Nothing fancy, just good food. Preferably sea food.

4) Best places to shop? (apart from the Grand Bazaar of course). Istanbul has tons of outlet malls. Are they worth visiting?

5) Any cities outside Istanbul worth visiting? Prefer some place I could head out to in the morning and be back by night.

6) Any other tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

Mods, pls feel free to delete this thread on the 18th :D

Thanks all.

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do not visit this city.

What?

Istanbul is great. Can't help you though as I've been there when I was a kid - ~15 years ago.

Have a great trip!

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thanks for the help guys...NOT! :D

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Not a single Turkish member in here? :cry:

No one here been to Istanbul? :cry:

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Wow. Really? not one of you have been to Istanbul? Not one Turkish member here? :(

Mods, is this section only accessible to members? if yes, can it please be moved to the off Topic section?

Thanks.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Im not from Turkey but ive been there 3 times in the last 3 years? and its easily one of the greatest cities ive been to, with so much history, culture and very very GRANDE!

Istanbul is a city suitable for every person, ive been there with friends, with my family with my classmates it was always nice because the people there are open minded and mind their own business.

1) What is the best, cheapest as well as safest mode of transportation within the city?

Taxi's are pretty cheap, and so is metro line, with taxi's you must be aware that the driver will try to rip you off so keep an eye out on the meter

2) Any recommendations of places that are a MUST see?

you must go to the blue mosque (sultan ahmet mosque), Aya Sofia (Hagia Sofia) which was a cathedral, mosque now museum, Taksim square is pretty well known, you can visit the byzantine underground sewers, theres an area called Nisan tasci which is a nice more modern area, shopping in Istanbul is amazing, try to visit palaces or (saraya as they call them), oh and of course dont miss out on the Market or Bazaar im sure you will be attracted to it by yourself anyway. If your more into clubbing there is an area where Reina and Angelique are located. The food there is amazing, you must try as much as possible, and try to remember a famous Kabab shop near the blue mosque, oh and there is a nice shisha place called Darwish there.

3) Recommendations for places to eat? Nothing fancy, just good food. Preferably sea food.

All food as i said is amazing in Istanbul, Kabab there is really out of this world, and fish is also good due to its location. In turkey many restaurants serve appetizers similar to Mezza (if ur familiar with those) basically a guy has a tray full of different plates and you pick the ones you want and eat them, usually using a loaf of bread, its good because you mix healthy food with vegetables and cheese...etc

4) Best places to shop? (apart from the Grand Bazaar of course). Istanbul has tons of outlet malls. Are they worth visiting?

definetly, go to nisan tasci (sp?), taksim, and there is a nice shopping mall around 30 mins away from the city which is nice, shopping in Turkey is better than anywhere else I think, because prices are better than in major european cities

5) Any cities outside Istanbul worth visiting? Prefer some place I could head out to in the morning and be back by night.

I never tried this but usually people from Istanbul like to go to Marmaris to be near the beach, but now is not the season for it. Anyway, Istanbul is a huge city, as the taxi driver told me, "Eeeestanbul not city, eeestanbul country", around 15m population.

6) Any other tips/recommendations would be appreciated.
I think since ur there during football season, its definetly worth attending a league match, Besiktas stadium is in the center of the city (btw, Besiktas you can find fish, since its on the coast), Fenerbache is in the asian side, which you can tell is more conservative than the european side, Galatasaray now have a new stadium.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Im not from Turkey but ive been there 3 times in the last 3 years? and its easily one of the greatest cities ive been to, with so much history, culture and very very GRANDE!

Istanbul is a city suitable for every person, ive been there with friends, with my family with my classmates it was always nice because the people there are open minded and mind their own business.

OH MY GOD Jivara!

You just made my day! Thank you so much! I wanted to reply to your individual replies :D but I haven't done ANY packing yet and I'm leaving in less than 12hrs.

Will most likely have a few questions once I get there. So mods, pls keep this thread open till Jivara answers a few more questions :D

And thanks David for moving the thread. Seems to have made a difference :)

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
haha, youre very welcome, I feel excited like you are just by talking about Istanbul

btw 2 phrases that you might need to use to communicate:

Cok (tshock) Guzel = very beautiful
Nasul sun = How are you

Turks can be pretty crazy when you cannot communicate with them, use a lot of hand movements and your sherades skills to get your point across.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Tell them that you're a "Pezevenk". They'll treat you kindly.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
haha, youre very welcome, I feel excited like you are just by talking about Istanbul

btw 2 phrases that you might need to use to communicate:

Cok (tshock) Guzel = very beautiful
Nasul sun = How are you

Turks can be pretty crazy when you cannot communicate with them, use a lot of hand movements and your sherades skills to get your point across.

Thank you. You are a :star:

However I doubt I'll have as much fun as you had :(

I'm going with wife n baby.

I'm just praying I get some time by myself for the Barca game so I can enjoy some Shisha as well.

Talking about the Barca game. I'm gonna be staying in Sultanahmet. Any cafe's you can recommend that might be showing the Barca game? Or if not Sultanahmet, somewhere nearby?

Tell them that you're a "Pezevenk". They'll treat you kindly.

BITCH :D

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
One of my sister's best friend's lives in Istanbul. Shes 20 or 21. Becoming very pretty (which is kind of awkward).

Think you got the game? If so I'll give you her digits :tongue:

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
One of my sister's best friend's lives in Istanbul. Shes 20 or 21. Becoming very pretty (which is kind of awkward).

Think you got the game? If so I'll give you her digits :tongue:

Is she a Milan fan? Maybe I can hook up during the game? :D

Apart from that day, I doubt she'd wanna hang out with the wife n kid :D

Schedule