Copa America

Who will win Copa America 2011?

• Total voters

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
Julio
alves-lucio-silva-andre
lucas-ramires
ganso
robinho-pato-neymar

this is the formation that brasil is practicing today.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
condones-tulipan-2.jpg

Argentiniam advertisement of condoms in reference to Copa América. :lol:

Brilliance!

Edit - Oh it's actually quite old, back in 2006...
http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/tulipan_brasil_vs_argentina

Last edited:

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
Ganso, Robinho, Neymar and Alexandre Pato set to front Brazil's 4-2-1-3 formation at Copa America
In the first training session in which Mano Menezes selected his first-choice XI, he employed the system, which he believes suits the players' characteristics.

Brazil are set to employ a 4-2-1-3 formation during the Copa America. In the first training session in which Mano Menezes selected his first-choice XI, he deployed Paulo Henrqiue Ganso at the spearhead of a three-man midfield, behind Robinho, Neymar and Alexandre Pato.

The 49-year-old tactician suggested he will use the system in Brazil's opening game against Venezuela on July 3.

“It was the first more complete training session in terms of tactics, with the formation very close to the formation we will use on our debut. From here on in we'll develop the idea, tighten it, make corrections," he explained at a press conference.

“We've already played like this, against Holland for example. We didn't manage to win [the game finished 0-0], but we used the [formation] well in the second-half."

The coach concluded the 4-2-1-3 suits the men at his disposal: “The option [to use] this formation compliments the players' characteristics."

Menezes deployed Ganso behind the very same front three of Robinho, Neymar and Pato in his first game as Brazil coach last August, when the South Americans won 2-0 away to the USA.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Ganso, Robinho, Neymar and Alexandre Pato set to front Brazil's 4-2-1-3 formation at Copa America
In the first training session in which Mano Menezes selected his first-choice XI, he employed the system, which he believes suits the players' characteristics.

Ganso as CAM.

Good practice before his eventual move to Milan

:D

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ArgentinaFW: Looks like the players involved will be expelled from the Mexico squad.

ArgentinaFW: Scandal in Mexico camp. Jonathan Dos Santos and Nestor Vidrio have been accused of bringing prostitutes into their rooms. #CopaAmerica

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I like the fact that there would be likely 3 Milan starters for Brazil. And possibly 4 in a few more months.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...-players-sent-home-jonathan-dos-santos-062811

Eight players from Mexico's Copa America team have been suspended for six months for violating team training rules, the result of a scandal involving prostitutes visiting players at the team's hotel in Quito, Ecuador.

The players named are: Israel Jimenez, Nestor Vidrio, Jonathan dos Santos, Marco Fabian, Jorge Hernandez, Javier Cortes, David Cabrera and Nestor Calderon. They will be replaced by Kristian Alvarez, Antonio Gallardo, Edgar Pacheco, Alan Pulido, Emilio Orrantia Ulises Davila, Diego de Buen and Oswaldo Alanis.

A U-22 team, now minus 7 players.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
They should have invited South Korea or Australia, costa rica is a weak team in general and they are sending their youth team, while its a shame the real Mexico wont be there, im sure their u22 wont do anything.

inviting teams like australia,south korea, even an african team would have been much better.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mexico fielding a U-22 team is a joke in itself. Do the CONMEBOL have no dignity, that they are willing to let Mexico openly insult the Copa?

Dignity was sold together with the TV deal. FOX problably paid a bit more for it.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They should have invited South Korea or Australia, costa rica is a weak team in general and they are sending their youth team, while its a shame the real Mexico wont be there, im sure their u22 wont do anything.

inviting teams like australia,south korea, even an african team would have been much better.

Costa Rica is fielding a U-23 team + home players. But they had no choice, cause Japan was forced to withdraw on last minutes cause of the schedule of the J-League is in a mess cause of the earthquake. And European teams didn't allow players to go.

Edit: I agree, they should have invited teams willing to play with full force. Or don't invite extra teams at all.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm very interested to see how Columbia will do this tournament, yepes and zapata are a quality CB pair + they have very good players all around, I expect them to do very well.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, Peru is on an injury crisis (Farfán and Claudio Pizarro already out) and now México will be even more weak. This will turn the life of Uruguay easier in Group C - only Chile as strong opponent.

And this problably points to a Brazil x Uruguay semifinal (though one can't really rule Paraguay out, on their day, they can beat BOTH). Argentina will have an easy route to final though.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Costa Rica is fielding a U-23 team + home players. But they had no choice, cause Japan was forced to withdraw on last minutes cause of the schedule of the J-League is in a mess cause of the earthquake. And European teams didn't allow players to go.

Edit: I agree, they should have invited teams willing to play with full force. Or don't invite extra teams at all.
Both Mexico and CR are obligated by Concacaf to bring their U-22 teams + 5 older players. In our case we didn't called up the 5 older players cause they play abroad, and they only loaned them for the Gold Cup (eitherway I think one of those wouldn't have made it cause he died last week :cry: ). Had to make negotiations with AZ to loan us our kepper for the Copa America...guy supposly beat up his GF, she filed a lawsuit, he quit the NT and went back to Holland. I'm sure both CR and Mexico would've taken their best teams otherwise (our senior team is basically a u-23 with + 3 or 4 older players anyway, we were the youngest team in the Gold Cup and that's part of the reason of the debacle against Mexico, that and stupid high line against fast players).

Basically we're hoping to not get over 10 goals scored against, with no kepper with experience + kids all over the place and little time for trainning + all the things happening outside the group...really not hoping for anything less. That said and I hope he starts: Joel Campbell is a :star: in the making, maybe in Copa America against older rivals will be harder, and with an inexperienced team surrounding him, but he'll prove it in the U-20 tournament.

PS-I know we don't bring the viewership Japan could (which is the reason they got invited), but please keep the Copa America as a Copa America. In fact stupid Concacaf should try to negotiate to make it a one tournament for the whole continent, make the Conmebol teams qualify, give 2 spots for USA and Mexico and make the rest of the Concacaf teams fight for 4 spots, play the first 2 tournaments in USA, make it the most sucessful in terms of income tournament out there, stadiums are already built and made for massive tournamens, stadiums will be sold out-as seen in the Gold Cup-, sponsors will cream their pants for it, play it exactly as soon as the Eurocup finishes to avoid big european teams keeping their stars (like in 2007 with Brazil). For Confed Cup reasons, the best placed team of each confederation will qualify for the Confederation Cup.

Last edited:

d'Arc.LP

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Ibrahimovic, Balotelli, Schweinsteiger
Pato will wear #9, Robinho #7 and Thiago Silva will be #4 in Copa América.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'm very interested to see how Columbia will do this tournament, yepes and zapata are a quality CB pair + they have very good players all around, I expect them to do very well.

Guarin, Falcao, Armero and Hugo Rodallega. They have a great team and could make up for a solid starting line up but as Carlos Valderrama said, they lack imagination and creativity. Armero and Zuniga are probably their best wingers but they are both actually LWB/RWB. Not sure what formation it will be but they will lack creativity.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Colombia is always a good team (or better said, always has interesting individuals), but they usually have internal issues or they tend to have a good group stage only to ruin it in the later rounds, very inconsistent, most inconsistent NT out there.

Paraguay is usually a bigger force in qualifiers than in Copa America, which is more less the opposite from Uruguay (big in Copa America, sucks in qualifiers), though as always I'll have an eye on them, their possibly the most tactically organized team in South America, but again they do tend to lose it in the Copa America for whatever reason. And I hope that Uruguay finally gets to the final and wins it (it will be sweet if they beat either Argentina or Brazil...love me some historic geopolitical football bitch slap). This is Chile's best NT since the Sa-Za one, and perhaps even more complete than that one, but I'm not sure on their new coach, but they'll be among the most interesting to watch. If Mexico would've brought their A team I would've said they'll reach the semifinals, bastards always turn it big in Copa America, but with the U-22 (and they've just suspended 8 of them) I'll say they will probably qualify as one of best 3rd places...and depends on who they'll face.

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The preassure over Argentina is immense. They don't win a tournament with the first team since 1993 and they will be at home now. Messi specially, either he pull a Maradona or people will blame him.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
The preassure over Argentina is immense. They don't win a tournament with the first team since 1993 and they will be at home now. Messi specially, either he pull a Maradona or people will blame him.
Pretty much, he's already nothing for them...he's obligated to win.

That said, Argentina has no defense, they'll probably try out Mascherano in defense, but that's something only Barcelona can do since they don't really get attacked much to expose him, or in that note Cambiasso or Zanetti (but since they have zero quality fullbacks, they'll use Zanetti as FB, I'm sure they'll use one of Mascherano or Cambiasso as CB + Burdisso) and Burdisso, Gaby Milito, etc. are all more or less the same thing. Garay might be the best option, but he doesn't play, so I can't blame Batista for not using him.

I'm more than sure that people will say Argentina is the best team (and Messi is best eva) ever after they score 6 past us (just like in the last Copa America after they beat Mexico, or in 06' WC after the Serbia game or in 2010 after winning all their games, or in 1998 after they beat Jamaica and Japan or in 2004 Copa America...see the trend?), but don't be surprised if they don't end up winning it, their defense is just way too mediocre overall.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much, he's already nothing for them...he's obligated to win.

That said, Argentina has no defense, they'll probably try out Mascherano in defense, but that's something only Barcelona can do since they don't really get attacked much to expose him, or in that note Cambiasso or Zanetti (but since they have zero quality fullbacks, they'll use Zanetti as FB, I'm sure they'll use one of Mascherano or Cambiasso as CB + Burdisso) and Burdisso, Gaby Milito, etc. are all more or less the same thing. Garay might be the best option, but he doesn't play, so I can't blame Batista for not using him.

I'm more than sure that people will say Argentina is the best team (and Messi is best eva) ever after they score 6 past us (just like in the last Copa America after they beat Mexico, or in 06' WC after the Serbia game or in 2010 after winning all their games, or in 1998 after they beat Jamaica and Japan or in 2004 Copa America...see the trend?), but don't be surprised if they don't end up winning it, their defense is just way too mediocre overall.

This is the team Batista is using right now: Romero; Zanetti, Burdisso, Gabi Milito, Rojo; Mascherano, Cambiasso, Banega; Lavezzi, Messi, Tevez.

I think he is not sure about Gabi (Pareja can take his place) and Tévez (he was using Di Maria till a few days ago, Tévez won his place). It seems he give some rest to Cambiasso, but now he returned on the Biglia's place.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
This is the team Batista is using right now: Romero; Zanetti, Burdisso, Gabi Milito, Rojo; Mascherano, Cambiasso, Banega; Lavezzi, Messi, Tevez.

I think he is not sure about Gabi (Pareja can take his place) and Tévez (he was using Di Maria till a few days ago, Tévez won his place). It seems he give some rest to Cambiasso, but now he returned on the Biglia's place.

So is he using messi wide/AM role now?

I thought he was favoring messi in his barca position, thus di maria/lavezzi wide.

I can see purpose for it, and for considering biglia in midfield too, to play more possession based in general. They need to control posession to compensate for that thing they call a NT quality back line

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So is he using messi wide/AM role now?

I thought he was favoring messi in his barca position, thus di maria/lavezzi wide.

I can see purpose for it, and for considering biglia in midfield too, to play more possession based in general. They need to control posession to compensate for that thing they call a NT quality back line

Not sure, but Tévez played wide left against Albania. I think he will play that position with Messi central.
Though against Albania also, at some point in the second half he used Messi right and Agüero as a false nine.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Is Hernandez in the Mexico squad?

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida

Zanetti should avoid playing FB. I got a chance to see Rojo here, he was surpassed by a mediocre FB that at that time played at a mid-lower table club from here, same guy that in Gold Cup had to go out "injured" cause Salcido had him crazy. Anyway, I also saw him in another game, small sample size, but he doesn't seem to control his side nor is he anything to write about in defense (lets say he's the typical "6" rating player, doesn't do harm but doesn't add much). Pareja, Gabi, Burdisso, all the same (add Heinze eventhough he's not called up, but their all basically the same thing). Midfield up the issues are more tactical than anything else.If they would've had Samuel I would bet on them winning it without a doubt...they'll beat the minnows easily, but will struggle against bigger teams.

Senatore's point, I dunno if they'll handle possession against a team like Brazil, maybe against Uruguay and Paraguay it can work, especially against Paraguay if they're able to score one past them fast.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Not sure, but Tévez played wide left against Albania. I think he will play that position with Messi central.
Though against Albania also, at some point in the second half he used Messi right and Agüero as a false nine.

well naturally vs. albania is clearly same as vs. brazil/uruguay/paraguay etc

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zanetti should avoid playing FB. I got a chance to see Rojo here, he was surpassed by a mediocre FB that at that time played at a mid-lower table club from here, same guy that in Gold Cup had to go out "injured" cause Salcido had him crazy. Anyway, I also saw him in another game, small sample size, but he doesn't seem to control his side nor is he anything to write about in defense (lets say he's the typical "6" rating player, doesn't do harm but doesn't add much). Pareja, Gabi, Burdisso, all the same (add Heinze eventhough he's not called up, but their all basically the same thing). Midfield up the issues are more tactical than anything else.If they would've had Samuel I would bet on them winning it without a doubt...they'll beat the minnows easily, but will struggle against bigger teams

Rojo is really not good defensively. His choice over Zabaleta is stange. I guess he wants an offensive fullback on the left and kinda of loopside the team. I think Banega will be more of a box-to-box on the right than Biglia or Cambiasso and Zanetti will play more defensive on the right.

Batista like Rojo and Pareja from the youth sides. Those two are certainly his choice. Olympics are the only remarkable fet in all Parejo career, and the time in the U-21 squad is the only reason why Rojo is called-up under him.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well naturally vs. albania is clearly same as vs. brazil/uruguay/paraguay etc

Argentina's first game is against Bolívia. Maybe he will change the team after that for a more solid formation, but nobody knows just yet...

Schedule