Who was better

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Only difference between the two, IMHO, is the FACT that Silva hasn't doped.

Yet.
I don't know ... Silva seems the more technically sound player. Stam's certainly more of a bruiser-type CB, but Silva reminds me more of a younger Nesta, except without that telepathic capability of reading a game which Nesta had since birth :D - mind, he's improving in that after coming to Serie A.

I know he got Baresi's stamp of approval, but until he has dominated at the highest levels like Stam did, you'd have to give Stam the upper hand.

However, saying that he wont be able to reach or surpass Stam in his prime is nonsense cause Silva is developing at a frightening rate + technically is already better than Stam in his prime. And he's also capable of muscling it out mind ...

Gio

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Gattuso, Nesta, Kaká, Cafu, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Ambrosini, Sheva, Stam, Totti, R9
I don't know I must say I'm with manu fan about him not being at that level yet. He has the potential sure but, I remember stam's performances for us thinking we should have got him years ago. He was an absolute destroyer but then brought the ball forward and picked out brilliant passes. He did this consistently for many teams and is one of my favourite defenders we've ever had, looking back at some of his matches, I miss him, you really think I would have that feeling if wed have got someone better playing for us now? It wouldn't be that strong a feeling anyway. Its a good debate but for now, in my opinion Silva isn't as good as Stam but I think he can get there, even though his game is different, he can be as clinical a defender for us as Stam.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Comparing Stam at his peak and Silva now would be somewhat like comparing Lucio now and Silva now. Who is better? It depends on your personal preference on the style of defending.

Clearly Silva is a technically better footballer. That's all one can say at the moment.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
1-Who is Milan's greatest goalkeepers ever? Milan have never had a World Class keeper, but who is Milan's best ever GK? Is it Dida despite making many mistakes?
For me it's Dida. Although Sebastiano Rossi on his prime (92-96) was also very good but as others and even Sacchi mentioned, this is because Rossi had the legendary back 4 (Tasotti, Baresi, Costacurta and Maldini) in front of him. Although Dida also played with good defenders in front of him (notably Nesta and Maldini), IMO Dida edged this one out. He (on his best days in 03-06) can really pull out some miracles.

2-This is for older fans, Who was better Cafu or Mauro Tassotti?
Tasotti. Cafu gave a lot to the offense with his speed but in terms of defending, Tasotti is better. Many have overlooked Tasotti's offensive contribution but as I mentioned in the Milan’s Greatest XI threat IMO this is because the midfield and attacking players are very good in doing their job and his contribution was mostly overlook. Tasotti was also adept in going forward and sending crosses. Tasotti also built very good partnership with the midfield (Donadoni, Rijkaard, Ancelotti, Colombo, Albertini, Boban) and created many one-twos moment that freed him. Abate for me is becoming a newer version of Tasotti, he just needed to improve his actual defending skill.

3-Who would you say is better Thiago Silva or Stam?
I'd say Stam although if T. Silva can really beef himself physically, he would win the contest. Stam was the real rock and simply annihilated the offense, period. T. Silva can still get the rattled by body check but never Stam. But in going forward and contributed to the offense flow, T. Silva (as we saw this season when he was deployed as DM) was better. Stam can also scored from dead ball situation (eg: CL 05 SF 1st leg vs Inter) but in terms of footballing skill T. Silva is better.

4-Desailly ior Gattuso who is better as a defensive midfielder
Desailly but mainly because he is taller and have more imposing physic. Gattuso rattled the ball-carrying player with his bull-dog passion and 'you-shall-not-pass' attitude but Desailly simply cut the opponent's offensive flow. In terms of ball distribution, Desailly is also better.

5-What was Frank Rijkard's MAIN position?
Holding midfielder. This can be an ambiguity with the DM position since he had Ancelotti and Albertini in his Milan days as his partner. Rijkaard was a very versatile midfielder (not to mentioned that he sometimes play as CB in Dutch NT). He had it all: aerial threat, ball distribution, tackles, passing, scoring. You can put him anywhere. In 91/92 and 92/93 MvBasten asked Capello to allow Rijkaard to play more offensive role and he scored 5 goals in 91/92 (his best ever tally in Milan). If you want to see a player that I feel resembled Rijkaard the most, the answer is Michael Ballack.

6-What was Ruid Gullit apart from being a striker, I know he played as a midfielder sometimes but was he an attacking midfielder, a deep-lying playmaker like Pirlo, a defensive midfielder or what?
Gullit was all of the above. Another very versatile midfield player like Rijkaard (they're both of the same age, born only few days apart in the same month and year and debuted in Netherland NT in the same game) but if Rijkaard's versatility was based on the defensive platform, Gullit's was based on offensive platform. In Sacchi's team, he was the striker partnering MvBasten, Virdis, Massaro or Simone but he was mostly use behind the striker and had free license to roam. In 06/07 CL, Kaka was registered as a striker partnering Inzaghi but in reality he was more a midfielder. That was Gullit's role in Sacchi's Milan. When the team was in need of additional offensive threat, another striker will be brought in Gullit will drop to midfield.

7-Who would you consider to be Milan's greatest ever striker?
Marco van Basten, no doubt. Some might argue that Sheva is better but that's another topic :) I will not go waaaay back and talk about Gunnar Nordahl because that's waaaay beyond my years of following Milan.

8-Who was better Seedorf or Rui Costa or Kaka? (All at their prime)
Let's talk about Rui Costa first. For me he never reached his true potential in Milan that he showed in Fiorentina/Portugal NT and that always baffled me. In terms of passing, IMO he is better than Seedorf or Kaka.

Seedorf's main contribution for me was his intelligence in moving the ball into the penalty. He linked the midfields area and both sides of the field (left and right). Many have complained that he sometimes slowed down the tempo and I second that many times but many times he will wait for the others to join the attack and look for better options.

Kaka nailed this because of his skill, speed and a lot more deadlier. No offense but without him, we won't win CL 06/07.

9-Who was better Nesta or Costacurta
Nesta. For me pound by pound, Nesta's skill was a lot better than Costacurta. Nesta was very intelligent and was very graceful. Both are very good in positioning but Nesta is better in reading the game. Costacurta stopped the offense by clamping on the the striker carrying the ball while Nesta didn't even allow the ball to reach the striker. That's a difference.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
I agree about everything Gai said specially about Rui who I always said was less than the player he was @ Fio.
Disappointing to say the least not coz he is a bad player but coz he didnt bring his Fio form with him when he was pure class.
But between Kaka , Seedorf & Rui , I chose Boban any day of the week.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
1-Who is Milan's greatest goalkeepers ever? Milan have never had a World Class keeper, but who is Milan's best ever GK? Is it Dida despite making many mistakes?

Rossi.

At rightback the order 4 me is: Cafu, Panucci n then Tassotti.

This is a tough Q... Silva outscores Stam on technical ability but every other category Stam wins hands down.

I refuse to answer such a disgusting Q.

Guy is Dutch total football is the standard setting but at Milan he was the holding type... Baresi n his boys defended the goal but Rijkaard guarded the defence.

6-What was Ruid Gullit apart from being a striker, I know he played as a midfielder sometimes but was he an attacking midfielder, a deep-lying playmaker like Pirlo, a defensive midfielder or what?

Attacking midfielder - like a 145x better than seedorf.

I hope, like me, most will tell you that its Van Basten.

4get seedorf. Its out of Kaka n Rui. I'd go 4 Kaka, he had more goals in him.

Both r pillars of defence. It has to be a personal choice. My choice is Nesta.

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
I just don't think he'll be as good as Stam was. I don't think he'll ever be as physically dominant as Stam for one. Stam became a geuine, world class player around 1998, when he was 25/26, which is the age that Silva is at now, and by 99 he was as dominant a CB as any defender could be, and I can't think of another defender at that time who could match him.

Try those who were better than him, Nesta, Maldini, Costacurta, Cannavaro, Hierro, Thuram, Blanc, Montero.

Last edited:

Dominate

Genius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
RIP Totti
Probs go with Dida, didnt see Rossi so cant really comment

Im not that old but know it was Cafu, Tassoti fitted out amazing 90's backline perfectly, like busquets in Barca

Overall Stam, in the future I believe Silva may pass Stam

4-Desailly or Gattuso who is better as a defensive midfielder
Rino, back in the day, no one had possession for more than 5 seconds, he was everywhere

DM, covering the back four, still got all over th field due to dutch total football-ness

AM, behind Van Basten, he was almost the target man, ball played long to him, dropped to van basten and van basten scores

Van Basten

Kaka, his speed shits over any of these guys, vision may not be as good as ruis but Kaka was just a fucking monster

Nesta, really one of the best ever

Last edited:

av1hs89

Passive Fanatic
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Nesta, Rino, Sheva, Kaka, SuperPippo, T. Silva, Cassano
I mean my friend whose a man utd fan continues to tell me Ferdinand was better than Nesta:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Thiago Silva is on his way to the Group of Great with Maldini, Baresi, Beckenbauer.

This were Greek mythology and if Zeus 1 day just 4 funzies decided to play the sport, he wud have Cafu, Baresi, Beckenbauer n Maldini playin 4 his side. My point? Plz dont compare punks like Silva to them guyz. Besides, players like Ciro Ferrara n Matthias Sammer have dibs on be compared to those 4 b4 Silva does.

Spielmacher

Protagonista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Albertini, Weah, Gullit
Agree with gaizka'a opinion.

Off topic...I've seen this confusion pattern especially coming from a football fan who followed football after 2002.
They seem to be unable to grasp versatility concept on a certain player i.e: Gullit, Luis Enrique, Cocu, Leonardo. Gullit was a striker, he was fast and a good header of the ball. And with his skills set... on some games, he could be the AM or just simply drop deep to get the ball. IIRC he have been played as a DC/sweeper in chelsea because he's strong in the air.
And PES/FIFA add much of this confusion with their classic team like with Maradona as an AMC/CAM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen Maradona as an AMC/CAM. He's a seconda punta like Del Piero.
Adding new labels such as: box to box (a simple central midfield will do just fine), or Makalele's position (this is a midfield that focus on defense)...have given me such an headache too. Seems to me that more people become an expert in football formation or tactic by playing PES/FIFA/FM instead of watching/playing the game itself.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
I've recently replied to the Greatest XI Milan thread and there's been some really tough decisions to make, and since I've only been watching Milan from 2003 I need help, so you can you help me out my answering the following questions?

Please answer in as much detail as possible and thanks :)

is just my personal opinion..

1-keepers.. all resonable.. i used to like galli for his effort.
2-tassoti was more importante to milan.. but cafu was a better player, also panucci.
3-thiago silva
4-desailly, more versatily excelent job as CB too.
5-central mid and defense.
6-was a striker in a 4-4-2 most of the time.. was the 4th man in the midfield.. anceloti used to sub him a lot in that position.
7-mvb no doubt about it.
8-kaka. seedorf never did what the others 2 did.
9-costacurta.

Diavolo666

Banned
Reaction score
I've recently replied to the Greatest XI Milan thread and there's been some really tough decisions to make, and since I've only been watching Milan from 2003 I need help, so you can you help me out my answering the following questions?

I've only seen Dida and Abbiati.Have to go with Dida
Dunno only seen Cafu
Stam.But Silva is not far behind
Only seen Gattuso
Dunno but from what I heard he was Anchor ala Van Bommel
From what I know he was sort of a Deep Lying Forward just behind Van Basten sort of like Dennis Bergkamp
I've only seen Sheva and Pippo so Sheva but Van Basten is probably better
Seedorf and Rui were in the same level I'd say Kaka comes 2nd tough Kaka was better for us then Rui but Rui and Seedorf are definetly better players
I've seen very little of Costacurta like 5 years when he wasnt exactly in Top Form so if I have to choose I choose Nesta
Please answer in as much detail as possible and thanks :)

These are my Answers :)

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score

The best I have seen was Dida in the form he had before Inter fans threw a flare on him

Cafu, I assume, I haven't seen enough to remember Tassotti, but it seems that one was better as an offensive full back who also got the job done defensively while the other was mainly a very solid defensive full back.

I chose Thiago Silva, as an overall footballer. But Stam's mere presence was frightening for the opposition.

Desailly better overall, but I have never seen a more fiesty ball winner than Gattuso

I think he was a box-to-box midfielder, but also an all-rounder

He played as an AM in the beginning but began to move back as he got older, at Sampdoria and Chelsea he played as CM

Van Basten must be the one, but I haven't seen him, so I will say Shevchenko

1. Kaka, 2. Seedorf, 3. Rui Costa

Although Seedorf's main asset was that he can combine so well with any star, he is the perfect side-kick. Kaka in his prime was unstoppable. Rui Costa was beautiful to watch but a little bit less effective than the other two.

Nesta easily. I love Billy, but I think he is a little bit overrated. Nesta is a Gladiator.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

Van Basten must be the one, but I haven't seen him, so I will say Shevchenko

1. Kaka, 2. Seedorf, 3. Rui Costa

:lol::lol:\
blatant hate towards swedish and Portuguese players

seedorf better that rui Ok

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
'I think' 'I assume' 'I haven't seen him'

Cool story bro

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda agree with Ashish... Van Basten is maybe the most talented striker ever, but Nordahl numbers are on another level in Milan history

Last edited:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
lol

jibberish crap...u mean something besides the incredible insight u gave us all about players u didn't see?

:lol:

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
In his prime rui costa is the best AM/trequartista ever, till today i never saw any better AM/trequartista than him

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Kinda agree with Ashish... Van Basten is maybe the most talented striker ever, but Nordahl numbers are on another level in Milan history

1948-49 15 16
1949–50 37 35
1950–51 37 34
1951–52 38 26
1952–53 32 26
1953–54 33 23
1954–55 33 27
1955–56 32 23

Total for Milan 257 210

i read it was so scared i rode a zebra into another world

best known for his play in AC Milan 1949-1956, where he won two Scudetto's and an unprecedented five top scorer (Capocannonieri) awards, more than any other player in the history of the Serie A. He's generally considered one of the greatest Swedish football players of all-time.

zlatan fans should be shot

Last edited:

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
In his prime rui costa is the best AM/trequartista ever, till today i never saw any better AM/trequartista than him

For me Kaka is better than Rui Costa especially in terms of pace, shooting & finishing chances

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
For me Kaka is better than Rui Costa especially in terms of pace, shooting & finishing chances

:lol::lol::lol::lol:OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :D lool

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
:lol::lol::lol::lol:OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :D lool

:conf: I did'nt have chance to watch Rui during his time at Fio. Serie A wasn't broadcasted in our country until 2000-01. In Milan, his finishes sucked, you can count number of goals he scored for us with your hands. Vision and creative wise, Kaka' was pretty much at the same level with him

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:conf: I did'nt have chance to watch Rui during his time at Fio. Serie A wasn't broadcasted in our country until 2000-01. In Milan, his finishes sucked, you can count number of goals he scored for us with your hands. Vision and creative wise, Kaka' was pretty much at the same level with him

no kaka was an excellent hybrid at that time and good vision to great .. he ran like a wind from the center .. he coordinated more when he joined milan in 2004 then it was very fast build up

ii am very biased when it comes to rui and i know I am right but i will post outlandish things ...

Schedule