Dutch Eredivisie Thread

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
Jordy Clasie – Xavi in De Kuip

It’s always exciting to see a new football star “born” in front you. A new kid standing at the byline, ready to come on. And that posture, the look, the first touch…something tells you you are witnessing something special. I saw it many times… But to be honest, in most cases the player’s reputation had already reached me.

In the golden 1980s, when players like Kieft, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Vanenburg, Van ‘t Schip and Koeman made their debuts.

Or the much heralded Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta.

Christiano Ronaldo. Robin van Persie. Rafael van der Vaart… Players whose names were whispered amongst the fans already. I remember at Feyenoord, coaches telling youth coaches to stop talking to the media about their proteges. “Keep them anonymous for as long as possible”. But with today’s media frenzy in football, it’s impossible.

All over the world, scouts know who the left back at AZ Alkmaar’s B-junior team is or what the favorite foot is of the right midfielder of Feyenoord’s Under 16 team.

And I need to be honest, I sometimes saw players make their way and I loudly doubted their ability to ever make it big. I’m not proud of my “List of Shame” but it goes to show that a top football guru (me) can be wrong at times… Dennis Bergkamp, Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben. Three players I saw make their debut and I was highly unimpressed.

“Bergkamp only has speed. He’s as blind as a bat and can’t take on a player one on one”.
“Sneijder is a poor man’s Van der Vaart. Too small for top football.”

“Robben has only one leg. And he’s blind to what goes on around him. A smart defender will always win against Robben. Nice player for Groningen. Maybe PSV. That’s it.”

In my defence. I never said this out loud. More than twice. And I said it after having seen them play once. And re: Bergkamp: I wasn’t the only one thinking this…

Anyway… Jordy Clasie… Another player who made in to the (sub) top flying under the radar for quite some time. Castaignos, Jeffrey Bruma, Wijnaldum, Fer, Cabral, Biseswar, Drenthe… Young Feyenoord players whose names were linked to big clubs when they were still in their teens… Clasie was the quiet achiever.

Ajax wants to move back to Cruyff’s individual Barca-style youth development, but Feyenoord appears to be working like this for more than six years now.

Stanley “Patty” Brard, the former Wizard’s Apprentice in the 1984 Feyenoord Double-Winning team, is in charge of Feyenoord’s youth development and chuckles when he talks about the Ajax dramas.

“Listen, I’m not gloating or anything, but it is funny. Cruyff has trouble to get his vision executed at his own club. I only had to talk to him for an hour years ago to realise what was needed. I’m very close to Wim Jansen ( Stanley is related to Jansen) and Wim and Johan are still very close. I enjoy a good relationship with Cruyff too, of course, so we were on the same page quickly. And we executed his ideas at Feyenoord, but in stealth mode. No reason to make a big fuss. Let’s first develop some talents. And here we are.”

( Stanley Brard was a second rate left back at Feyenoord when JC made his entrance. Feyenoord played with too many prima donnas in the team back then ( Pierre Vermeulen, Ruud Gullit, Andrej Jeliazkov, Cruyff himself) and the Maestro decided he wanted the left winger ( Vermeulen) to work harder to cover for him. Vermeulen wasn’t able to do this, so Cruyff made sure Stanley Brard became the new Feyenoord left winger. For one season, Brard was a super star and won the title and the national cup and earned the respect of Johan Cruyff.)

In the last six years, players like Luc Castaignos, Roy Drenthe, Diego Biseswar, Leroy Fer and Gio Wijnaldum became the biggest names and some of them made really big moves as a result. Albeit, a tad too early maybe? Wouldn’t it have been great for Feyenoord and the players if these names would still be on the Feyenoord team sheet? But that’s dreaming of course….

Anyway, back to Jordy Clasie.

Because when Inter came to check on Castaignos and the English clubs came to check out Wijnaldum, Fer, Bruma ( who left for Chelsea) and Rekik ( who left to play for Man City) little Jordy Clasie was playing at Excelsior. On loan.

Stanley Brard, now head youth development in De Kuip

The little midfielder needed to grow in power and resistance. And learned on a daily basis.

And it’s pretty normal that Wijnaldum, Cabral and Castaignos get more attention. They are the “obvious” artists. Speed, goals, trickery.

Jordy Clasie is different. He plays as a holding midfielder. He loves to play on touch. It’s all about efficiency, vision and “let the ball to the work” with him. His first touch is impeccable and Clasie knows exactly what the next step needs to before he receives the ball. A player for the aficionado. Who is he like?

Well, I’d rather not say. It might turn out to be a bit much on this little shoulders. But, yes. He does resemble Xavi. A lot!

“Small players won’t make the top” some people said. Unless they are as good as Scholes, Xavi, Sneijder, Messi or…right…. Clasie is only 1.69 meters high but the 20 year old will make it alright.

Both Chelsea and Arsenal are vying for his services already and one Ronald Koeman ( Feyenoord head coach) and one Gio van Bronckhorst ( Feyenoord assistant coach ) have links to Barcelona and rumor has it that Pep and Co are aware of the development of this new “dreh und angel punkt” in the Dutch competition.

Clasie, born in Haarlem, signed his first pro deal in 2009, although he has played for Feyenoord since 2000. Stanley Brard: “He was always consistent, working hard to get to the next level. He wasn’t tall or strong but he was smart. Like Wim Jansen and most likely Scholes and Xavi, he had to be smart as he would be outmuscled by bigger players.”

Clasie was loaned out to Excelsior to play regularly and to grow. “I said yes, because the competition on Feyenoord’s midfield was murder. I wouldn’t have played a lot and at Excelsior I can improve myself but I want to return and stake my claim.” And this he did.
The player speaks mature words and is the Under 19 skipper at Oranje. He knows he’s not the biggest, but isn’t phased. “I can point at Cesc and Xavi, right? Not the biggest either. I need to be smarter. I watch how they play and they can read the game. I respect these two enormously.”

A lot of people compare Clasie with Sneijder. He isn’t conviced. “I get that, because that is based on my height. But Wesley is an attacking playmaker, I tend to play the holding role. I can make the play and pass and all that but I love to tackle and work for the team too. I need that kind of game. I play the deep role on the diamond, while Wesley plays higher up.”

How is it that Holland develops so many great midfielders? “Probably because midfielders take initiative, see a lot of the ball and want to be dominant? I think something like that… People call me bossy. I’m sure they say this of Sneijder and Van Bommel too, haha. I need a lot of ball contacts to be happy and the holding mid role does exactly that.”

http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org/world-cup-2010/jordy-clasie-xavi-in-de-kuip.html

knockout ned

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ireland, Robinho, Benarbia, Goater, Kinky
I do hope so, but don't think so.

I think he will be back at City next season. He's scored hat-tricks in his last 3 home games so i fucking hope he is.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Caught a bit of the Groningen - PSV match and im shocked. Was watching before the Manolev sending off and Groningen really took the game to PSV. I think also the midweek game has played a role.

AZ with a great chance to go top today.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Just saw on livescore, Utrecht pounding AZ 3-0 so PSV got let off easy this time. Ajax up 3-0 so its starting to heat up from positions 3 to 7.

ACRutger

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Huntelaar, Ronaldinho, T.Silva, Ibra, Verratti
just watched the highlights of Ajax - Roda JC.
someone would think, easy game for Ajax.....
when they were 1 - 0 down, Sulejmani got injured and was replaced by
Lorenzo Ebecilio

The 20 yeras old made a hat-trick ..... and it was easy for Ajax at the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPEGPpyXJiU

Please don't think he's good, because this is really the first time he played a good match this season:)

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What are the champions league/Europe league places in the dutch league?

Winner of the league goes straight into the group stage draw and second place team goes into the CL qualifiers/playoff.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Confrontation with fans after yesterdays loss :

Ant3f3eCQAA9TPW.jpg
Ant1hmaCIAEKRdm.jpg

AntzGDqCMAAWmFK.jpg
AntwuBFCIAA855m.jpg

Antvq4sCAAAUhD9.jpg

Strootman trying to calm things down :proud:

anyway Rutten is gone ..Cocu named as successor at a press conference earlier today

#PSV have confirmed that head coach Fred #Rutten has been dismissed. Phillip #Cocu and Ernest Faber take over until the end of the season.

@StefanCoerts

Cocu :thumbsup:

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Strootman is the best player in Eredivisie :o

He's doing fine ...struggling lately (relatively) ,but still the best mid in ERE....don't expect a move for him anytime soon ...hopefully Van Bommel puts in a good word for Milan next season :g:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
ok cool.

any other talents we may need to be aware of come next summer. :g:

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'm looking forward to how Cocu handles things at PSV.

They have signed a quality young CB in Matias 'Zanka' Jorgensen for next season and Heurelho Gomes couldmove back to the club. The team is full of promise and has some fantastic talents but have crumbled of late. Hopefully they can still put in a good fight for a top 2 finish.

--

Frank de Boer is keeping tabs on Twente's Douglas, possibly a sneaky move but a good one. If they lose Vertonghen then they will need a Douglas in that backline.

Kellet

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Ajax dicked PSV 2-0.

What about Europa league?

#3 Play-off Round EL

#4 3rd Qualifier Round EL

#5-8 -> Post-Season Playoffs for the last EL ticket which gives a spot in the 2nd Qualifier Round

KNVB Cup (FA Cup) winner gives a ticket to the Play-off Round EL

Kellet

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I think both Feyenoord and AZ deserve the CL-Qualifier spot much more than PSV and looking at Feyenoord's playing schedule, they have the biggest chance.

Last edited:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
I think both Feyenoord and AZ deserve the CL-Qualifier spot much more than PSV and looking at Feyenoord's playing schedule, they make the biggest chance.

I say Feyenoord too.

Kellet

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Ajax beat Twente 1-2 and are virtually champions. Only a miracle can keep them from winning the "Kampioen's Schaal".

Feyenoord beat AZ at home 1-0, giving them good chances of holding that 2nd spot which gives CL Qualifiers.

Schedule