Arrigo Sacchi Thread

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Just go to guardian website and click sport -- football it's there top of page

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Thursday June 20 2013 Sacchi: Italy must believe in youth

Italian Football Federation youth co-ordinator Arrigo Sacchi has urged Serie A clubs to not waste the nation’s up-and-coming talent.

Although pleased that the Azzurrini reached the Final of the European U-21 Championship this month, the former Milan and Italy tactician wants to see more faith in youth.

Clubs should not deny the national sides their players and then nail them to the bench on a Sunday afternoon,” Sacchi told Il Giornale.

To be honest, I’m not very optimistic about our football movement as our clubs don’t allow youngsters to play.

Teams in Serie A don’t focus on youngsters like they do in Spain and Holland – and those nations subsequently produce a lot by taking that choice.

We don’t lack talent,” Sacchi added. “Lorenzo Insigne, Manolo Gabbiadini, Marco Verratti, Ciro Immobile and Mattia Destro are players who could do well in the top flight.

But Spain are ahead of us because they start earlier with their youngsters and they don’t have the mind-set that we do.

Spain were crowned European Under-21 champions when they beat Devis Mangia’s side 4-2 in Tuesday’s Final.

It is still a prestigious result,” Sacchi continued. “It would have been impossible to do any better, doing worse was almost a foregone conclusion.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Monday September 16 2013 Sacchi predicts Milan revival

Arrigo Sacchi has backed Massimiliano Allegri to get his stuttering Milan side back on the right track.

The Diavolo lost their opening League game of the season at Verona, while they needed an injury-time penalty to secure a 2-2 draw at Torino on Saturday after going 2-0 down.

Allegri is used to seeing his sides have slow starts to the season, but then he’s been able to get the ship back on course,” Sacchi, a former Rossonero tactician, told Radio Onda Libera.

He’s also struggling with injuries right now, Kaka who has only just returned and a few youngsters who are not living up to their potential.

The side is still not expressing itself with the right compactness right now, but they have excellent offensive qualities and I’m sure they will come through.”

Allegri is currently without the injured Ignazio Abate, Daniele Bonera, Mattia De Sciglio, Matias Silvestre, Giampaolo Pazzini, Riccardo Montolivo, Kaka and Andrea Poli.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
AC Milan News ‏@Milanello

Sacchi: "Galliani is one of the best directors in the world. It would be sad to see him leave Milan. It would be a big loss."

Sacchi: "Ancelotti is the best coach in the world when it comes to handling difficult situations."

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Tuesday March 11 2014 Sacchi: 'Milan aren't a team'

Arrigo Sacchi launched a scathing attack on Milan after their 4-1 defeat to Atletico Madrid. “This is not a team.”

The former Rossoneri Coach is now a pundit for Sport Mediaset and was horrified by the 5-1 aggregate exit.

It is a sad moment for Milan and for Italian football,” said Sacchi.

This is not a team. They do not defend collectively and this just highlights the limitations of every individual player.

In attack they have many soloists, but the style of football has no logic to it. I was also disappointed by Adel Taarabt tonight, as he wandered around the field.

On the other side, we have a good collective with a great striker like Diego Costa who is wonderful at moving off the ball.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Arrigo Sacchi launched a scathing attack on Milan after their 4-1 defeat to Atletico Madrid. “This is not a team.”

The former Rossoneri Coach is now a pundit for Sport Mediaset and was horrified by the 5-1 aggregate exit.

It is a sad moment for Milan and for Italian football,” said Sacchi.

This is not a team. They do not defend collectively and this just highlights the limitations of every individual player.

In attack they have many soloists, but the style of football has no logic to it. I was also disappointed by Adel Taarabt tonight, as he wandered around the field.

On the other side, we have a good collective with a great striker like Diego Costa who is wonderful at moving off the ball.

Sad but 100% true.

mummila

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
taarabt is not good enough today but still can creates a chance for Kaka

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Sacchi: "Milanello needs to go back to being a factory pumping out quality players."

Lol, yeah, but that's easier said than done. Specifics please!

Sacchi: "Milan playing total team football is more important than simply relying on Mario Balotelli."

Agreed, team football. We played more of it under allegri, but that als ofell apart. I still blame it on berlusconi more/

Sacchi: "Fans will be patient and not criticize if they see Milan has a clear project."

This is what frustrates me most. I bought our project... the total football 4-3-3 we used last year. It had flaws (mostly we lacked high end CMs and CBs) But boatend and el shaarawy wide, working, CM's pushing it was nice basis.

And project is immediately abandoned for berlusconi's fetish of moment.

-

Real coaches knows much better how to create good football than Berlusconi. It involves all 11 defending and attacking. In that order. We had a basis for it last season but we needed to make some subtle improvement.s Add more hardworking attacking wingers. Add better b2b cms etc.

-

I would like to see Seedorf get it. But we for sure need to hire a tactical assistant, like Ten Cate was for Rijkaard, in the summer because he's very green at the moment (as expectred). For me this + a CB are highest priorities

Last edited:

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Agreed, team football. We played more of it under allegri, but that als ofell apart. I still blame it on berlusconi more/

I have no idea what you base this on? What is total football to you? Total football usually means that there is a lot of interplay and exchange of passes and positions. I never had the impression that we were like that under Allegri we looked like a really rigid unit but with Seedorf you can see hints of that sort of play but it is still very raw because of his inexperience and more importantly because of the players poor quality and lack of stability with the formations.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lol, yeah, but that's easier said than done. Specifics please!

This is what frustrates me most. I bought our project... the total football 4-3-3 we used last year. It had flaws (mostly we lacked high end CMs and CBs) But boatend and el shaarawy wide, working, CM's pushing it was nice basis.

And project is immediately abandoned for berlusconi's fetish of moment.

-

Real coaches knows much better how to create good football than Berlusconi. It involves all 11 defending and attacking. In that order. We had a basis for it last season but we needed to make some subtle improvement.s Add more hardworking attacking wingers. Add better b2b cms etc.

-

I would like to see Seedorf get it. But we for sure need to hire a tactical assistant, like Ten Cate was for Rijkaard, in the summer because he's very green at the moment (as expectred). For me this + a CB are highest priorities

:fp:
We had a good system? the 4-3-3 worked?
We needed working attacking wingers? more box-to-box players?

Please, the 4-3-3 was killing us not to say both SeS and Niang were half dead by middle of the season. They improved defensively but offensively they became next to useless.

When a team can barely beat a team already headed to serie B with 4-3-3 to make it to CL qualifiers, it shows that it was not working that great. Like every game from last season, we ended surviving game in and game out (besides the game against Pescara).

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I didn't like 4-3-3 I thought it was preventing one of our best assets which is the overlapping full backs. The way we played under Allegri in general was very limited. Players roles were very basic and confined to certain areas. If you compare that to Ancelotti we were like a primitive team. I am hoping that Seedorf can revive some of the elaborativr strategies we had under Carlo but really you can do so little with this bunch of players.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Can someone point us to the time period and the results during Allegri's 4-3-3?

paganini66

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
the problem is not the formation ,it is the shit players that we got.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
the problem is not the formation ,it is the shit players that we got.

We have many good players, but not the personnel for any system.

Not the CMs for 3 man midfield, not the wingers for 4-2-3-1 etc

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Last year we had a shortage if AMs and plenty of wingers

This year it's the opposite

It's a circus

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
Last year we had a shortage if AMs and plenty of wingers

This year it's the opposite

It's a circus

Last year we didnt play with AMs, this year we play mostly with wingers...seems legit.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We have many good players, but not the personnel for any system.

Not the CMs for 3 man midfield, not the wingers for 4-2-3-1 etc

Ditto.

For example,

- SeS plays better as winger (4-3-3)
- Honda/Saponara play better as AM (4-4-2)
- Zapata would play better with a 3 man defense (3-5-2)
- And so on.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Last year we didnt play with AMs, this year we play mostly with wingers...seems legit.

Last year should have been 4 3 1 2 and Boateng was getting bashed for not being creative enough as AM we eventually switched to 4231 because of that

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Last year should have been 4 3 1 2 and Boateng was getting bashed for not being creative enough as AM we eventually switched to 4231 because of that

boateng was shit at AM, he didn't want to play where is his best position, fuckin primadona

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Monday March 17 2014 Sacchi: Fans must be patient

Arrigo Sacchi says fans must have patience at Milan, as he backs Clarence Seedorf and Adriano Galliani amid crisis.

The Rossoneri are under increasing scrutiny from their support as a series of poor results continued with a 4-2 home defeat to Parma on Sunday afternoon.

Fans protested before and during the game, whilst the likes of Ricky Kaka, Mario Balotelli and Seedorf met with Ultras post-match.

For the club’s former Coach, who oversaw one Serie A title and two European Cup wins in the late 1980s, focus should be on the football, not on the fans.

Because of 25 years of success, is it right that the fans challenge the club and threaten the team? It is a serious matter,” Sacchi has reflected on Radio Anch’Io Sport today.

There is a lack of appreciation, a lack of respect towards the players. The violence has once again prevailed and in that environment it is difficult to grow. I would like greater support.

You cannot always be on top, there are times when you go wrong and others are better than you, you must know how to accept that. In our football we lack civilisation.

The choice of the right people is key, then return to a focused style of play and go and find the most suitable interpreters. Functionality first, then talent.

In Italy, we think everything is born at the feet of the players, in fact everything comes from the mind. When I arrived at Milan, Van Basten, Gullit and Baresi had not won the Ballon d’Or, so you need a club with clear ideas. Milan must first not only win, but also persuade.

Sacchi believes that the right people includes Clarence Seedorf, Adriano Galliani and Mario Balotelli.

Arriving and managing players who you have not chosen is difficult. For the first time in a long time, the club, apart from anything else, have proven not to be cohesive in the past - it is broken at the top, let alone at the base.

Fans must have patience - Galliani is one of the greatest directors, Berlusconi is engaged in politics and is less present, but Galliani is an added value to this club.

There are those with a lot more money, so they serve to have more options. Milanello can be a workshop of champions - Real Madrid and Barcelona invest €40m-€50m per year on this issue.

Balotelli? He is definitely a talent, but that does not mean that is enough. He has to find a positive environment, a game that will help him and a team that suits his qualities.

Undoubtedly he does not seem very helpful. He has yet to mature as a person. At a technical level he has extraordinary talent - I was impressed when I saw him at Inter, but it is not enough.

The individual cannot solve a complex problem, which in the case of Milan is the play.”

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Wednesday March 19 2014 Sacchi: Galliani the right man for Milan

Legendary Milan Coach Arrigo Sacchi has insisted that Adriano Galliani has the skill to turn things around at the club.

The Rossoneri have been pilloried all season long for their poor form, with results leaving them in 10th place in the table.

Sporting director Galliani has taken a lot of the criticism for sub-standard signings, but Sacchi has claimed that the board member can find his magic again.

Galliani is highly respected in the world of football,” he told Gazzetta dello Sport. “I have had the good fortune to work with him.

He may have made mistakes, but he certainly has the expertise to take Milan back to the top.

To stay with Milan takes seriousness, commitment and professionalism. In recent year, Galliani has done wonders with very little money.

If you invest in young people, like they have, then you have to be patient. Galliani has the expertise to choose these players.

We should not throw everything away now.