Week 32: Milan vs Sassuolo 21/04/2021 18:30 CET

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets win this

Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to the Milan squad on Wednesday, after serving a suspension last week, so should replace Rafael Leao at centre-forward.

While defender Davide Calabria and young forward Daniel Maldini are set to miss out again for the Rossoneri, coach Stefano Pioli has no other injury concerns, as Alessio Romagnoli returned to the bench last time out.

In Calabria's continued absence, Diogo Dalot will hope to unseat Pierre Kalulu at right-back, with Ismael Bennacer again having to fend off the claims of Sandro Tonali for a role in central midfield.

Though striker Francesco Caputo could still remain sidelined for Sassuolo - along with Kaan Ayhan (COVID-19) and long-term injury victim Filippo Romagna - star man Domenico Berardi returned to spectacular effect at half-time on Saturday and can now start.

Primavera product Giacomo Raspadori should continue up front for the visitors, as Caputo misses out, while Italy international Manuel Locatelli is expected to come back into the XI for Pedro Obiang.

AC Milan possible starting lineup:
Donnarumma; Dalot, Kjaer, Romagnoli, Hernandez; Bennacer, Kessie; Saelemaekers, Calhanoglu, Rebic; Ibrahimovic

Sassuolo possible starting lineup:
Consigli; Muldur, Chiriches, Ferrari, Kyriakopoulos; Lopez, Locatelli; Berardi, Djuricic, Boga; Raspadori

After a string of unforced errors on home territory, which have starved Milan of the chance to fight for the title with relentless rivals Inter during the run-in, Stefano Pioli's side were more than relieved to scrape over the line against Genoa at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza on Sunday.

Achieved by virtue of Gianluca Scamacca's unfortunate own goal - plus a pair of desperate goal-line clearances in the closing stages - the Rossoneri's 2-1 win now leaves them nine points adrift of their table-topping foes.

Thoughts at Milanello have long since turned to keeping the closing pack at bay, with their sole objective to secure Champions League football after an absence of eight long years - of course, only if the European Super League does not get off the ground.

Their overdue triumph last weekend put a pause on some sluggish home form since the turn of the year, as Milan had failed to take maximum points at in their previous five home games in all competitions. In fact, before beating Genoa, their previous San Siro success had come as long ago as the beginning of February.

While they have the best away record by far in Serie A this season, Pioli's men have won just seven of 16 league matches on home turf, but that strange combination of results has still seen Milan equal their Serie A points tally from the entire 2019-20 campaign with seven games yet to play.

On Sunday, top-scoring talisman Zlatan Ibrahimovic was absent again, as the Swedish star had previously been sent off against Parma for insulting the referee.

Becoming increasingly peripheral of late - due to a string of injuries, illness and suspensions - the veteran striker has watched on as deputies such as Rafael Leao and Ante Rebic have struggled to fill the goalscoring void. With January signing Mario Mandzukic - a more obvious like-for-like replacement - only now recovering his full fitness, the route to goal against Sassuolo may rely on Milan's leading man staging another spectacular comeback

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Are these considered friendly matches now?

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Our only goal this season is beat Atlanata to stop them winning the Scudetto!!!

Benz_1803

classic 1994
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan legendary
Only to watch for players reaction.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Ibra, Theo, Hakan and Bennacer are in doubt for tomorrow's game

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Super League already ruining football when we're not sure if this game matters ?

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As long as nothing is official these games matter I'd say

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
Sassuolo are always a decent team.
One thing for sure is that they will be wary of us trying to score right from kick off.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
De Zerbi furious about Super League: 'I don't want to play against Milan'

awesome, he is completely not focussed

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Frankly, I expect less from this than I expect from Lazio on Monday.

voom

Milan Legend
Reaction score
De Zerbi bitch. I hope we crush them . Your club lives from selling your best players to big clubs. We sold you Locatelli from whom you will profit greatly .You sold Demiral and Sensi for big money to Juventus and Inter .
De Zerbi you bitch ,you stood up to talk about Milan you bitch.

Kasoka

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Shevchenko, Gattuso, Ambrosini
If Pioli plays Krunic as LW again, as some italian media report, despite having Hauge, Diaz, Leao and Rebic available than he is a lost cause. That should never happen.

Home games against smaller sides should be played with confidence, not the old-school italian mentality of conservative and defensive submissiveness.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
:lol:

We have a game to play. Forza Milan!

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Well this game is going to be special. Wonder how the players will react to everything? I wouldn't be surprised at a shitshow of a match.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roma - Atalanta
Napoli - Lazio

Could be a good week for us if roma wins

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
De Zerbi bitch. I hope we crush them . Your club lives from selling your best players to big clubs. We sold you Locatelli from whom you will profit greatly .You sold Demiral and Sensi for big money to Juventus and Inter .
De Zerbi you bitch ,you stood up to talk about Milan you bitch.

:lol:

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
Ibra, Theo and Bennacer not called up, Calha and Calabria are in the team

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Ibra, Theo and Bennacer not called up, Calha and Calabria are in the team

Calabria back :love:

Sad about the others, but maybe Hakan + Leao 5 second goal this time? And, Theo has been underperforming lately so maybe Dalot starting isn't so bad. Hope I didn't jinx it :o

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Back to a similar XI as in the Old Trafford game, but this time with Rebic available?
I don't mind it.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Leao AM?

EzcWNpnX0AQ5JwZ

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
No krunic Grazie

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Why the fuck isn't Hauge starting? :fp:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Ante Rebic has scored 17 goals in the second half of the season in the last two Serie A campaigns (out of 18 with Milan): excluding penalties.

Only Cristiano Ronaldo (18) has scored more in the last two campaigns considering only the second half of the season.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Well this game is going to be special. Wonder how the players will react to everything? I wouldn't be surprised at a shitshow of a match.

Isn?t it a shame there aren?t fans in the stands right now :(

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I have to admit I approach the game with mixed feelings. It's hard to pretend that the whole ESL debacle never happened, especially when our feelings are supposed to be geared up for securing qualification to a competition we wanted to formally end less than 24 hours ago.

I hope watching the game puts my football psyche back together again.