The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
I admire the optimism here, but at the same time I hope you guys comprehend the extent of risk in this as well. Season 1 with a number of kids (most of them new to the league potentially), and a highly self-confident manager/sporting director who’s new to the league, could potentially result in a relegation battle if it goes wrong.

So be prepared for everything next season.

Yep.

And after this scenario the pressure for immediate improvements to justify the removal of Boban and Maldini will be even more absurdly high than usual.

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
Elliot dont know shit about calcio. And Gazidis also.

He cant clean shoes to Maldini. Arrogant prick. Cant speak 3 words of italian, AD of Milan. Ffs.

I hate those type of people

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not saying they've all been disasters, but of those Liverpool players, only Mane and Firmino have really done well--Naby Keita has been benched, a lot. And he was expensive.

My issue with Rangnick is that he's not cheap. He spends a lot of money, it's just in small bits. They're spending 10m here, 15m there, 7m over there--it's also done with the use of multiple clubs to cycle and develop players. It also takes time.

The way I look at Maldini and Boban is that I think they need more time. I'm not saying they're going to be a success, but I think they were turning the ship around. I don't see the point of getting Rangnick is we don't have time.

If we don't have time, then throw money at Allegri, buy a bunch of players you know will get the job done, and get your CL spot, and then go from there. But we haven't done that.

Gasperini and Inzaghi both had time. They got to get 7th and 8th places finishes and then continue. If they are the super managers that will take Milan to the promised land, then they would have been sacked too.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think Allegri is feasible because he will probably demand a budget that will bring us FFP issues. Maldini and Boban probably were demanding more spending and bigger contracts for veterans like Thiago Silva and Modric. We tried this with Higuain and I think Elliott don't want to get burned again.

Had they continued with buying players like Bennacer and Theo they would have been kept on but I think Maldini and Boban thought it was never going to work out unless they got the veterans. That's really the only explanation for the break. They got great players for good value and contracts, but I think they just decided it's not enough and we need veterans and Ibra proves this.

Maybe they're right, but I think Rangnick has a much better scouting network and way more experience rebuilding a football team than Maldini and Boban.

MKD_z0ki

Chosen One
Reaction score
We are going to be the new ajax. Buy players cheap till they become good and sell to top clubs. Rinse and repeat. Thats how Elliot wants to make the money.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
You sir are a gloryhunter. AC Milan has been a family, it's not the club for you. Also you have poor memory, cause Milan had many years were they were thinking about making UCL at all even before 2008, and a couple of years including scudetto, when we had no problems with getting there.

Few, if any, on this board started supporting Milan because they live in the city or because they long for the heady days of Serie B.

Rhat

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Rangnick will be fired next January.

We are at year -1.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I can understand wanting to fire Maldini and Boban for hiring GP, for sure.

But I don't understand the idea of giving Rangnick more than one season to get CL then, that's the thing that bothers me. You sort of have to expect a CL spot next year with Rangnick or he gets fired. Otherwise, why not give Maldini and Boban more time?

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score

But I don't understand the idea of giving Rangnick more than one season to get CL then, that's the thing that bothers me. You sort of have to expect a CL spot next year with Rangnick or he gets fired. Otherwise, why not give Maldini and Boban more time?

Maldini has been given 2 seasons (yes he shared decision making duties with Leo last season just like he has with Zvonny this year) plus a 190m transfer kitty so Ralf deserves the same.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score

Probably because they were agitating for high-profile signings both in the player and coach department. Had we been sitting pretty in 3rd, they probably would have been humoured. But for the ownership, the results so far didn't merit more investment in that direction.

Was it October when Maldini said that if the plan is to take Milan back to the top after many years, then we won't stick around (in so many words)?

Chiko

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Few, if any, on this board started supporting Milan because they live in the city or because they long for the heady days of Serie B.

Imagine calling a Milan fan who still posts to this day a glory hunter. We haven’t won shit in years and have been on a decline.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Elliott should at least afford Ralf 100m transfer budget (just like they gave Leo + Bodini) to give him a fair shot of succeeding.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I admire the optimism here, but at the same time I hope you guys comprehend the extent of risk in this as well. Season 1 with a number of kids (most of them new to the league potentially), and a highly self-confident manager/sporting director who’s new to the league, could potentially result in a relegation battle if it goes wrong.

That may be true, but what’s the other solution? Revolving door of average managers? Guys like Pioli, Mihajlovic, Montella, Giampaolo, they’re all more or less in the same boat. A couple decent seasons between them, a few bad ones, fans debate whether their time at Milan will more like the good season or the bad ones on their resumes. They are ok managers who are quick to change the team and players at the first sign of failure, most don’t have distinct reliable systems in place the players can rely on.

That hasn’t worked, and like you and others have pointed out, they aren’t going to spend in the way a true top team should. Not until the club is bringing in more money. That decision is probably wise honestly, the club loses lots of money and was still going nowhere, even getting on the shit side of uefa. Innovation and a new approach is needed, undoubtedly. It’s different and yes risky, but it holds far more potential of actually changing the club then anything we’ve done for a decade, you have to see that.

I’ll even add, I’d like the team to take a different approach, but I’m on board with anything that’s a good idea as long as they commit to it. I believe the team should bring in more older, veteran players, solidify the team into the top 4, and then invest when the money starts to come in. Inter made top 4 with a very different team then what they’re fielding now, and a different manager as well. As soon as they spent two seasons in the Champions League, they changed their approach and aimed for a title, and they’re competing for it. I would love to bring in Thiago Silva, a guy like Modric, keep Zlatan etc, until we can aim higher. But that’s equally risky, and they cost high wages too.

Overall, yes there’s a lot of risk. But the longer the club sits in mediocrity, the longer it will take to rise again. I’ll take the approach of hiring a manager with a proven resume at building clubs in a certain manner, when you know the potential is to build a competitive team, rather than settle for a pragmatic, gattuso approach where the team is decent but the ceiling is low.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Rangnick isn’t the solution in your eyes, fair enough. But someone tell me a different approach to bring Milan forward as more competitive team. What’s the alternative, I’m curious?

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I mentioned before I think Boban and Maldini changed their plan. They probably agreed with Elliott that they will pursue the youth only policy and maybe recently they gave an ultimatum that they HAVE to get a mix of veterans and youth. That's really the only thing that explains the situation. They would have continued to next season if they hadn't made that demand.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie

You mean...this season wasnt preparation enough :lol::lol::lol::lol:
- If Ibra didnt arrive we would be right there in the cellar.

No matter who arrives I will be right here hoping for the best - cheering when we do well and cussing players, coach and management if things are being done poorly.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Yep.

And after this scenario the pressure for immediate improvements to justify the removal of Boban and Maldini will be even more absurdly high than usual.

Correct - was going to post this yesterday.

New management team has zero room for error.

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
Maldini and Boban aren't yes man. Gazidis is, and that's why Elliot are keeping him. We've traded Berlusconi for a Berlusconi that has zero sporting passion and negative football IQ.

IL Diavolo 3

Fester
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Maldini and Boban aren't yes man. Gazidis is, and that's why Elliot are keeping him. We've traded Berlusconi for a Berlusconi that has zero sporting passion and negative football IQ.
You mean elliot has a vision and a plan in mind?
To transform milan to the arsenal model?

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
In Boban's case, I can't say I'm overly surprised. The writing was on the wall after that Gazzetta interview.

Maldini, however. Why? He had his wrongdoings, but we all live & learn. Rangnick would need his assistance, as Maldini would vice-versa.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
TastyImpressionableAsianwaterbuffalo-max-1mb.gif

Nevermore

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Isn't it obvious? Maldini and Boban are getting fired, because they don't share Elliot's vision. Imagine how their meetings go, if they can't agree even on the basic strategy. No one expects CL spot right away, Ragnik will have enough time for sure. Based on his track record, he represents what Elliot wanted since taking over

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So Rag will get time and money?

Gimme numbers.

Two years and 200 mil?

More? Less...?

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Good thing we have lots of legend to burn through... who cud we hire next to be the old new face of Milan?

Cant have Weah... the man's been a president.

Im thinking Kaka.

Last edited:

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score

its about sticking not starting. If a club for him is alive or dead based on trophies and strength, then he can just go and support whom ever he wants to. The team can be in financial troubles or tough times, but its not trophies only that shape the club. I fell in love with Milan in 98 when I saw Maldini and Billy play, before the scudetto season even started. I learned what a great family it is and I loved the players. It was awesome that we got a scudetto right away, but it was far from a killer side back then. Then I saw Sheva come and destroy everything and everyone. And I can confirm that before this time there was still a shadow of that Milan present. It's not about results. The point is with these guys fired, theres barely anything that connects us with the old Milan and its as good as full reset now.

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
Imagine calling a Milan fan who still posts to this day a glory hunter. We haven’t won shit in years and have been on a decline.

bs, some people post here cause their life is too "fantastic" or they got banned from merda forums.

Rhat

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious? Maldini and Boban are getting fired, because they don't share Elliot's vision. Imagine how their meetings go, if they can't agree even on the basic strategy. No one expects CL spot right away, Ragnik will have enough time for sure. Based on his track record, he represents what Elliot wanted since taking over

:lol::lol::lol:

Rumpelstiltskin

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Daniel Maldini.
I'd be okay with this move if they hire Rangnick as SD and get a top coach like Allegri.

With Gazidis and Rang at the helm the club will be fighting to avoid relegation next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule