The Rumour Commode XXXV: Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Like Hazard? Like Coutinho? Like Dembele? Like Maguire? Like Fred? Like Ndombele? Like Werner? Like Wan Bissaka? Fernando Torres to Chelsea? Mangala? Luka Jovic? Kepa? Joao Felix? Kaka to Madrid? Sheva to Chelsea? Redondo? Rivaldo? Those are just off the top of my head.

I understand what you're saying, but, it's not about money, a big part of it is luck, proper scouting, and knowing which players will actually fit your system and club's culture.

Man Utd and City have spent the same amount of money, but one club (City) is actually run well while United is a shit show.

I don't want Bailly, I really don't, but if he's just a stop gap for the summer, fine, why not? Meite was an important player last year, maybe Bailly will be the same? I honestly doubt we will grab him though.

I would rather be like City than United, but I don't really care how we do things as long as we win. Atalanta has shown how to build a strong team for lower wages and even lower transfer fees. Being well run is the most important. Having the massive financial might of Elliott means we don't have to sell anyone we don't want to and can afford to let players leave on free transfers because we want to preserve our structure while rewarding those who stay handsomely.

Theo, Tomori, Leao, Tonali, Maignan, Adli, Bennacer, Calabria, this is our core, and cost us like 140? That's Joao Felix.

Florenzi, Messias, Giroud, Maignan, have all been huge additions to this squad, while it looks like Bakayoko might finally be turning the corner. Toure has had some good games, and some horrific ones, but, with time, we will see how those gambles pay off.

Because I'd rather take a small gamble on Pellegri than a 200m Kane. 200m in Maldini's hands is probably a CL winning team, lol. Giroud has scored more in the league than Kane, so, Maldini's striker gambles have been working. Ibra has scored at an insane level for us. The challenge will be a long term option, sure, but the lack of strikers is why Vlahovic is the most coveted young striker, there are just so few out there.
Sure there's always exceptions...but I'm going for someone who can make us look good on the field first and then maybe in the accounting department. A lot will be revealed about our footballing ambitions by how much we spend this time around.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Wasn't it a bit similar last January when we signed Tomori?

A "shortlist" made up by the media, some of the bigger journalists even claimed we were close to one of them. Then nothing and then boom Tomori.

Wouldn't start crying if it's not Bailly.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Pioli on the negativized: "They were asymptomatic, their recovery will be easier"

:PThinking:

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
Like Hazard? Like Coutinho? Like Dembele? Like Maguire? Like Fred? Like Ndombele? Like Werner? Like Wan Bissaka? Fernando Torres to Chelsea? Mangala? Luka Jovic? Kepa? Joao Felix? Kaka to Madrid? Sheva to Chelsea? Redondo? Rivaldo? Those are just off the top of my head.

I understand what you're saying, but, it's not about money, a big part of it is luck, proper scouting, and knowing which players will actually fit your system and club's culture.

Man Utd and City have spent the same amount of money, but one club (City) is actually run well while United is a shit show.

I don't want Bailly, I really don't, but if he's just a stop gap for the summer, fine, why not? Meite was an important player last year, maybe Bailly will be the same? I honestly doubt we will grab him though.

I would rather be like City than United, but I don't really care how we do things as long as we win. Atalanta has shown how to build a strong team for lower wages and even lower transfer fees. Being well run is the most important. Having the massive financial might of Elliott means we don't have to sell anyone we don't want to and can afford to let players leave on free transfers because we want to preserve our structure while rewarding those who stay handsomely.

Theo, Tomori, Leao, Tonali, Maignan, Adli, Bennacer, Calabria, this is our core, and cost us like 140? That's Joao Felix.

Florenzi, Messias, Giroud, Maignan, have all been huge additions to this squad, while it looks like Bakayoko might finally be turning the corner. Toure has had some good games, and some horrific ones, but, with time, we will see how those gambles pay off.

Because I'd rather take a small gamble on Pellegri than a 200m Kane. 200m in Maldini's hands is probably a CL winning team, lol. Giroud has scored more in the league than Kane, so, Maldini's striker gambles have been working. Ibra has scored at an insane level for us. The challenge will be a long term option, sure, but the lack of strikers is why Vlahovic is the most coveted young striker, there are just so few out there.
💯

I never want to buy a “guarantee” again.
Even less, “revelations” of the season with all the media hype like Vlahovic.
We have good scout, go find the Vlahovic (or Kalulu, and hopefully Kerkez why not?) that moved from his first club to Fiorentina for 2m(?).
We have the environment and time for them to grow into “guarantees”.
Sprinkle in some cheap veteran to fill roles while adding valuable experience.

I wouldn’t want the club to operate any different than how they are right now.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yes I get what you guys are saying about guarantees. That's why I said guarantees or as close to one.
I mean who would have thought (other than myself :o ) that Messi would have one league goal in 11 games :proud:

Even so, you would expect a VVD to come here and do better than Romagnoli more than you would expect Bailly to replace Kjaer without missing a beat....to take an extreme example to illustrate my point.

Also I think we've tried that shit far too many times in attack (cf role) to the point where the cheap-and-hope signings will actually cost us more cumulatively. You can buy a Harry Kane or you can get 25 man

Kane has 4 league goals this season, not sure if he is the best example atm.

With CF role we have tried everything, also proven in form players like Bacca, there isn‘t really a pattern for our bad streak pre Ibra.
If anything Maldini did quite well with cheap Ibra and Giroud.

CapitanoMaldini

With Arrogance
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Sheva, Nesta, Pippo, T. Silva, Kaka, Seedorf, Laudrup, Maradona,
The first offer of #Milan for #Bailly is a loan with a right of redemption set at 18 million. The #Manutd would like 20 million, but with the obligation to redeem. The deal is now blocked and the player's agent will hardly be able to do anything after today.

Girardi

Take it for what it’s worth, if anything at all.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
If that's true Maldini must really like Bailly.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Kane has 4 league goals this season, not sure if he is the best example atm.

With CF role we have tried everything, also proven in form players like Bacca, there isn‘t really a pattern for our bad streak pre Ibra.
If anything Maldini did quite well with cheap Ibra and Giroud.
So....to be clear....you guys are arguing against highly rated players because they're expensive? :rolleyes:

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
some journalist at calciomercato just posted an article about referee mistakes for/against teams in the first 21 rounds and it looks like this:

(team name, errors in favor, errors against, overall balance)
Napoli 4 - 1 (+3)
Salernitana 3 - 0 (+3)
Inter 3 - 1 (+2)
Verona 3 - 1 (+2)
Empoli 2 - 1 (+1)
Genoa 2 - 1 (+1)
Fiorentina 1 - 0 (+1)
Venezia 2 - 2 (0)
Udinese 1 - 1 (0)
Atalanta 0 - 0 (0)
Sampdoria 0 - 0 (0)
Milan 6 - 7 (-1)
Juventus 2 - 3 (-1)
Sassuolo 1 - 2 (-1)
Lazio 1 - 2 (-1)
Spezia 0 - 1 (-1)
Roma 4 - 6 (-2)
Bologna 1 - 3 (-2)
Cagliari 0 - 2 (-2)
Torino 0 - 2 (-2)

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
After Messias put Kojak in a bodybag while Kojak is Roman Roy to James Rodriguez. That dead horse is done. So now it's Ronins turn. Also while he won't admit it I do think Ronin has a specific agenda against Leao and let's leave it at that otherwise the thread will get derailed.
This thread getting derailed? No never.

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
For those wondering what happened to Raiola

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
some journalist at calciomercato just posted an article about referee mistakes for/against teams in the first 21 rounds and it looks like this:

Napoli 4 - 1 (+3)
Salernitana 3 - 0 (+3)
Inter 3 - 1 (+2)
Verona 3 - 1 (+2)
Empoli 2 - 1 (+1)
Genoa 2 - 1 (+1)
Fiorentina 1 - 0 (+1)
Venezia 2 - 2 (0)
Udinese 1 - 1 (0)
Atalanta 0 - 0 (0)
Sampdoria 0 - 0 (0)
Milan 6 - 7 (-1)
Juventus 2 - 3 (-1)
Sassuolo 1 - 2 (-1)
Lazio 1 - 2 (-1)
Spezia 0 - 1 (-1)
Roma 4 - 6 (-2)
Bologna 1 - 3 (-2)
Cagliari 0 - 2 (-2)
Torino 0 - 2 (-2)
I thought referee mistakes only happened to us

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sure there's always exceptions...but I'm going for someone who can make us look good on the field first and then maybe in the accounting department. A lot will be revealed about our footballing ambitions by how much we spend this time around.
That list are exceptions? If you look at the ratio of spending to performance at Man Utd, Barca, Chelsea, Tottenham, Juve (particularly on salaries to free players), Atletico, they've been abysmal.

Take Chelsea.

Who in their attack has justified their fee? Pulisic at 58m pounds? Werner at 47.5m pounds? Havertz cost them 72m pounds. Ziyech at 37m pounds?

Mendy at 22m pounds has done better than Kepa at 71.5m pounds.

Their best performers last year were Rudiger, Thiago Silva, Reece James, Azpilicueta, Christensen, Mason Mount, Jorginho, and Kante. Rudiger, Jorginho, and Kante are the only ones who came in for big money, Rudiger was thought of as a flop until Tuchel came in while many questioned Jorginho post-Sarri, so they could have been failures themselves, the rest are free transfers, academy players, or token transfer fees.

This is where we have such a major difference of opinion. You keep saying that how much we spend reflects our ambition. I think the way teams are scouting, constructing teams, and defining value is fundamentally changing. Sure, there's City, but they've spent over 1 Billion Euros to build their squad. United has spent the same. In contrast, we've spent about 235m on our entire squad, which is less than Chelsea have spent on Pulisic, Werner, Havertz, and Ziyech, alone.

The fact that our owners are building a stadium, pumping tons of money into the team (because of the previous owners), while having to handle the insane destruction of the previous administrations, to me, underlines their ambition. They want to win. Maldini wants to win. He didn't come to just build a "top 4" team and shrug. That's not in his mindset. But he's not going to pretend that we will spend like Berlusconi's time by breaking transfer records. And I'm fine with that.

My favorite period as a Milan fan was when Galliani (and his team) were smarter than everyone. When we were always finding value in players like Cafu, Stam, Seedorf, Kaka, and getting big-time performances from Pancaro and Favalli, and none of those players cost us a lot. Grabbing Ibra for nothing, Thiago Silva for peanuts? That was when I was at my most proud as a Milan fan.

I think that period of Milan management coupled with the banter era has smacked the "I think we should buy (most hyped player X) and (most hyped player Y)" out of me. I want to buy the next K2 from Genk, the next Salah from Basel, the next Lewa from Lech Poznan. Imagine the team Roma would have had if they just kept their best players like Alisson, Marquinhos, Rudiger, Pjanic, Paredes, Salah, Dzeko? Alisson was 7.5m, Marquinhos was 3m, Rudiger was 9m, Pjanic was 11m, Paredes was 6m, Salah was 20m, Dzeko was 15m. Many of them were loans with options. 71.5m for top-class players is amazing (Paredes, not so much, Pjanic was for a while, but you get my point). Unlike Roma, we don't need to sell our players (and we don't), and the guy who helped in a lot of these deals, Massara, is our guy. If Roma kept their squad together, they'd be one of the best teams in the world.

I'll end with this: I was curious and wanted to see what Newcastle fans thought and saw themselves, especially vis-a-vis Botman and Milan. Some of them were amazed they were going to beat us to a player, others joked about Milan being a small club (in comparison to them due to their financial might), but there was an element that I really liked; there were fans who said things to the effect of: "Milan really uses data, they're a smart club, so if they want Botman, he must be good." That's what I want. That if we are scouting a player, that means they must be good, even if others don't get it.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players

CapitanoMaldini

With Arrogance
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Sheva, Nesta, Pippo, T. Silva, Kaka, Seedorf, Laudrup, Maradona,
🚨 Contacts between #Milan and #Espanyol to try to find a square for #Castillejo (but there are 3 other Spanish clubs).

#Bailly was proposed by his agent at #Milan . It is a profile that may be of interest but not a first choice and no open negotiations at the moment

Longo

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Napoli 4 - 1 (+3)
Salernitana 3 - 0 (+3)
Inter 3 - 1 (+2)
Verona 3 - 1 (+2)
Empoli 2 - 1 (+1)
Genoa 2 - 1 (+1)
Fiorentina 1 - 0 (+1)
Venezia 2 - 2 (0)
Udinese 1 - 1 (0)
Atalanta 0 - 0 (0)
Sampdoria 0 - 0 (0)
Milan 6 - 7 (-1)
Juventus 2 - 3 (-1)
Sassuolo 1 - 2 (-1)
Lazio 1 - 2 (-1)
Spezia 0 - 1 (-1)
Roma 4 - 6 (-2)
Bologna 1 - 3 (-2)
Cagliari 0 - 2 (-2)
Torino 0 - 2 (-2)
So more mistakes happen to us than any other team. 7 against us versus 1 for Inter? 1 against Napoli?

The thing that is more important is how these errors impact actual results. Inter against Empoli, for example, had an error when they had a stonewall penalty denied at 0-0, where Inter scored afterwards--the impact of that error in their favor would be much higher than Atalanta's penalty against us, which we won anyway.

All errors aren't created equal.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So more mistakes happen to us than any other team. 7 against us versus 1 for Inter? 1 against Napoli?

The thing that is more important is how these errors impact actual results. Inter against Empoli, for example, had an error when they had a stonewall penalty denied at 0-0, where Inter scored afterwards--the impact of that error in their favor would be much higher than Atalanta's penalty against us, which we won anyway.

All errors aren't created equal.
I was hoping the analysis would show points gained and lost because of the errors, not just the total number of errors.

But we (and Roma) do have a disproportionate amount of errors in our games. Weird.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
fe69ac8e383a5d6249c4986194fdaf9e.gif

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Just watched a youtube movie of Omeragic :fp: I want him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.