The Rumour Commode XXXV: Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super22

Wonderkid
Reaction score
Out of Curiosity.
What do you think of Romagnoli?
Good passing, positioning and reading of the game.

Average heading and marking

Poor physical condition, passive, and doesn't dive into a tackle.

In my opinion, for defenders, there are times when it is necessary to make a sliding tackle in the box to halt the attack but Romagnoli is not the type of defender who can or will do that and that separate top defenders from the rest. Anyone remember Nesta last moment tackle from behind on Messi in the box? Or Tomori tackle from behind on Pessina against Atalanta in the box?

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Good passing, positioning and reading of the game.

Average heading and marking

Poor physical condition, passive, and doesn't dive into a tackle.

In my opinion, for defenders, there are times when it is necessary to make a sliding tackle in the box to halt the attack but Romagnoli is not the type of defender who can or will do that and that separate top defenders from the rest. Anyone remember Nesta last moment tackle from behind on Messi in the box? Or Tomori tackle from behind on Pessina against Atalanta in the box?
I think Romagnolis best quality is he seems to always be in the right place when defending a cross. His obvious weakness is he can’t keep up with most attackers in open space. Besides that he’s a good defender. It’s just that we play in a way that really exposes that weakness. Botman doesn’t seem as slow as Romagnoli.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
No idea what you guys see in Pobega. I was casually watching the game while "working" earlier and I didn't see anything special with the guy. Seems like a headless chicken with a good left foot. I think we're better off cashing in on him. Can't have him and Krunic in the squad at the same time.
As a Krunic replacement, he's fine. Otherwise, he's not good enough.
I dont see something particularly special about Pobega either. The maximum he can be is a Krunic alternative as you said but even then Krunic is better because of his age and experience. In Italy lmthey love these type of players, strong bodies on the middle of the pitch. Think of Perrotta, Parolo, Tacchinardi, Gagliardini. If Pobega is fine with that role, getting minutes here and there then sure he can stay, but if we receive an offer of near 15m I would sell him considering our financial needs.

ardezzo

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ambrosini
It seems to me that a lot of people here keep forgetting about a team need to have 4 home grown players in their team.

All they want is to sell Pobega.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I dont see something particularly special about Pobega either. The maximum he can be is a Krunic alternative as you said but even then Krunic is better because of his age and experience. In Italy lmthey love these type of players, strong bodies on the middle of the pitch. Think of Perrotta, Parolo, Tacchinardi, Gagliardini. If Pobega is fine with that role, getting minutes here and there then sure he can stay, but if we receive an offer of near 15m I would sell him considering our financial needs.
Again, people are ignoring the fact that we need to have 4 players on the squad who are Milan homegrown. We currently have Calabria, Maldini, Gabbia and Plizzari. Only one of them realistically is good enough for the squad. The rest are all not good enough. I'd rather have four players who can play a part during the season without to worry about them. Plizarri or another Milan homegrown is fine as a third GK who will barely see any gametime, but the other three are important. Calabria and Pobega are good enough. That leaves only one more spot if we keep Plizarri or another GK. For now, we don't really have a choice it's either Gabbia or Maldini, or we promote someone from the youth team.

Selling Pobega for 15m or even 20m is stupid. You only have space for 17 non Milan/Italy players, and selling Pobega for money is fine but you can't replace him unless it's with another Milan player. There isn't anyone out there good enough.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
In the summer we need to buy 2 players who are Italy trained, assuming we keep Florenzi.

We would also need to keep Pobega, and decide on which other two Milan homegrown players make the cut.

Then we need to decide who are the 17 non-Milan, non-Italy players.

It's honestly not an easy problem to solve and it's weird that people are making 'dream signings' lists without considering these restrictions.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Berardi this season has 14 goals and 14 assists with Sassuolo in Serie A.

Faivre this season has 9 goals and 5 assists between Brest and Lyon in League 1.

Everyone is entitled to his preferences, but what I don't get is the mockery of Berardi. Berardi clocks 100 goals and 70 assists in 265 Serie A games. That makes him easily the best RW in the league, at least currently. I think his bad reputation came from his rough patch between 2015 and 2018, where he seemed a bit lost. But since then he consistently puts a lot of goals and assists on his account each year, especially for a winger.

I'm not saying Berardi is the perfect fit for us. I'm just saying that I don't get why he's so undervalued. If he was a young boy playing in League 1 putting those numbers we'd be cursing at our management for not trying to get him. Yes, he's expensive, and I'm almost 100% sure we're not after him because he doesn't really suit the profile we seem to be after, does he? But Squinzi is not entirely out of his head asking for big figures. Berardi is 27 years old, he'll be 28 years in august, he's in his full prime, with good numbers since at least three years. Yeah I'd shoot high too if I was Squinzi.

Last edited:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Milan:
1 Calabria
2 Pobega
3 Plizzari
4 ??? <-- Gabbia?

Italy:
1 Tonali
2 Florenzi
3 ??? <-- Left back replacing FBT?
4 ??? <-- Belotti?

Rest:
1 Maignan
2 Tatarusanu
3 Kjaer
4 Tomori
5 Kalulu
6 Botman
7 Theo
8 Bennacer
9 Krunic
10 Adli
11 Brahim
12 Leao
13 Rebic
14 Saelemaekers
15 Sanches
16 ??? <-- New RW?
17 Giroud

So this list assumes Belotti taking over from Ibra and no Origi. To fit Origi you'd have to sell FBT for an Italian trained player AND get an Italian trained RW. If we go for someone like Bergwijn, then we need to sell Tata for an Italian GK. Don't think anyone wants Tata and it might be hard to move him on. No one else on the list is expendable. If we want to keep Ibra then it becomes almost impossible to fit Ibra, Giroud and Origi. I'm also assuming we're letting go of Messias, FBT and loaning Lazetic, just to make it easier.

It's not an easy problem.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
BTW, Belotti has 102 goals and 27 assists in 263 Serie A games, just to put some perspective to Berardis numbers.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Faivre this season has 9 goals and 5 assists between Brest and Lyon in League 1.

Everyone is entitled to his preferences, but what I don't get is the mockery of Berardi. Berardi clocks 100 goals and 70 assists in 265 Serie A games. That makes him easily the best RW in the league, at least currently. I think his bad reputation came from his rough patch between 2015 and 2018, where he seemed a bit lost. But since then he consistently puts a lot of goals and assists on his account each year, especially for a winger.

I'm not saying Berardi is the perfect fit for us. I'm just saying that I don't get why he's so undervalued. If he was a young boy playing in League 1 putting those numbers we'd be cursing at our management for not trying to get him. Yes, he's expensive, and I'm almost 100% sure we're not after him because he doesn't really suit the profiles we seem to be after, does he? But Squinzi is not entirely out of his head asking for big figures. Berardi is 27 years old, he'll be 28 years in august, he's in his full prime, with good numbers since at least three years. Yeah I'd shoot high too if I was Squinzi.
I agree. I see him exactly the same way I see Romagnoli. They're great and will do incredibly well when in the right set up for them. I don't think Berardi is the kind of player we're looking for in the RW role, which is basically a RWB almost. There is SO much running and pressing that's required to sustain us having Theo and Leao on the left. I don't think Berardi has it in him. I also think we can find someone that fits a lot better for the amount of investment that's needed to get him.

In the right set up Berardi would be great. We're not set up for a Berardi.

ardezzo

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ambrosini
Milan:
1 Calabria
2 Pobega
3 Plizzari
4 ??? <-- Gabbia?

Italy:
1 Tonali
2 Florenzi
3 ??? <-- Left back replacing FBT?
4 ??? <-- Belotti?

Rest:
1 Maignan
2 Tatarusanu
3 Kjaer
4 Tomori
5 Kalulu
6 Botman
7 Theo
8 Bennacer
9 Krunic
10 Adli
11 Brahim
12 Leao
13 Rebic
14 Saelemaekers
15 Sanches
16 ??? <-- New RW?
17 Giroud

So this list assumes Belotti taking over from Ibra and no Origi. To fit Origi you'd have to sell FBT for an Italian trained player AND get an Italian trained RW. If we go for someone like Bergwijn, then we need to sell Tata for an Italian GK. Don't think anyone wants Tata and it might be hard to move him on. No one else on the list is expendable. If we want to keep Ibra then it becomes almost impossible to fit Ibra, Giroud and Origi. I'm also assuming we're letting go of Messias, FBT and loaning Lazetic, just to make it easier.

It's not an easy problem.
And only 11 of them would be starting, the rest would be rotation players and back ups who's still good enough to play and doesn't complain warming up the bench. For the latter, I'm glad we had Krunic.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
I agree. I see him exactly the same way I see Romagnoli. They're great and will do incredibly well when in the right set up for them. I don't think Berardi is the kind of player we're looking for in the RW role, which is basically a RWB almost. There is SO much running and pressing that's required to sustain us having Theo and Leao on the left. I don't think Berardi has it in him. I also think we can find someone that fits a lot better for the amount of investment that's needed to get him.

In the right set up Berardi would be great. We're not set up for a Berardi.
Yup. It’s that simple.

30-40-50m is great for a team that plays a style that suits him.
10m is a waste for a team with a style that doesn’t suit him.

Rhat

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
What about Malcom for RW? I guess a lot of players in Russian Super League will leave this summer given the clubs financial situation.

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
In the summer we need to buy 2 players who are Italy trained, assuming we keep Florenzi.

We would also need to keep Pobega, and decide on which other two Milan homegrown players make the cut.

Then we need to decide who are the 17 non-Milan, non-Italy players.

It's honestly not an easy problem to solve and it's weird that people are making 'dream signings' lists without considering these restrictions.
So at the minute, does it look like this?

Home grown: Plizzari, Gabbia, Maldini, Calabria, Pobega. (3 or even 4 may be gone)
Italy trained: Florenzi, Tonali
On the assumption Kessie, Romagnoli and Mirante leave.

The rest = 18
Maignan
Tata
---------------------
Theo
Ballo Toure*
Tomori
Kjaer
Kalulu
----------------------
Bennacer
Krunic
Diaz
Saele
Messias
Samu*
-------------------------
Giroud
Leao
Zlatan
Rebic
Lazetic
----------------------------

How do we currently manage then? Because from the above, we are already over the 17. And I've removed Baka. The squad is 27 on the official website.
In truth, the role taken by Ballo Toure, Samu and Krunic should really be taken by an Italian. Verdi is underrated. He'd also take a home grown quota. 1 game and 2 goals this season. I think he can match Messias and can be trusted against the bottom half sides, if we had an injury crisis.

Italian Free Agents in Summer:
Ogbonna - 1.91m - important player for West Ham, until he was injured in Nov.
Sirigu - would make a lot of sense to get rid of Tata and get Sirigu. All the Euro winners pointed to Sirigu as a huge help in the dressing room. He gave each player a personal message before the final. LEADER. Won with PSG too.
De Sciglio - Not a great option but again would fill a homegrown quota. Would have to be a LB back up tho.
Belotti
Bernardeschi

papaberlu

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I'm not saying Berardi is the perfect fit for us. I'm just saying that I don't get why he's so undervalued. If he was a young boy playing in League 1 putting those numbers we'd be cursing at our management for not trying to get him. Yes, he's expensive, and I'm almost 100% sure we're not after him because he doesn't really suit the profiles we seem to be after, does he? But Squinzi is not entirely out of his head asking for big figures. Berardi is 27 years old, he'll be 28 years in august, he's in his full prime, with good numbers since at least three years. Yeah I'd shoot high too if I was Squinzi.
It isn't really about fit or Berardi's production

When's the last time management invested a transfer fee into a player that has no room to grow or resale value? Especially one that will be 30m+

I'm sure he'd do great in the league but probably isn't ideal for Europe or the long-term goals of this club

Faivre is stupid comparison because he's younger, cheaper, and more versatile

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba

For me its the 40mil vs 15mil.
What are Berardi's numbers when he was the same age as Faivre is also a factor.

Rhat

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Berardi will not happen as he has basically no resale value. He's still relatively young and we could sell him at 30 but as he does not want to move from Italy his price tag would be trash.

Nevermore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Milan primavera formation vs Verona

MILAN: Desplanches, Coubis, Di Gesù, Nasti, Capone, Bosisio, Tolomello, Foglio, Omoregbe, Stanga, Bozzolan. Available : Nava, Pseftis, Obaretin, Nsiala, El Hilaly, Camara, Lazetic, Gala, Rossi, Alesi, Eletu, Roback

Lazetic on bench

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He's still relatively young and we could sell him at 30 but as he does not want to move from Italy his price tag would be trash.
Why would you sell him at 30?

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The way this places overrates Belotti but shits on Berardi is getting weirder all the time as one keeps improving and impressing whilst the other... yeah

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
Marko #Lazetic called up with the Primavera team of #Milan this morning at Vismara. Start on the bench.

Just seen that Nevermore already posted, sorry bruh

Rossonero81

The Little Red Rooster
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giusy Meloni

Home grown: Plizzari, Gabbia, Maldini, Calabria, Pobega. (3 or even 4 may be gone)

The rest = 18
Maignan
Tata
---------------------
Theo
Ballo Toure*
Tomori
Kjaer
Kalulu
----------------------
Bennacer
Krunic
Diaz
Saele
Messias
Samu*
Giroud
Leao
Zlatan
Rebic
Lazetic

How do we currently manage then? Because from the above, we are already over the 17. And I've removed Baka. The squad is 27 on the official website.
In truth, the role taken by Ballo Toure, Samu and Krunic should really be taken by an Italian. Verdi is underrated. He'd also take a home grown quota. 1 game and 2 goals this season. I think he can match Messias and can be trusted against the bottom half sides, if we had an injury crisis.

Sirigu - would make a lot of sense to get rid of Tata and get Sirigu. All the Euro winners pointed to Sirigu as a huge help in the dressing room. He gave each player a personal message before the final. LEADER. Won with PSG too.
De Sciglio - Not a great option but again would fill a homegrown quota. Would have to be a LB back up tho.
Belotti
Bernardeschi

No. Just no. I would rather cut off one of my toes.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score

The rest = 18
Maignan
Tata
---------------------
Theo
Ballo Toure*
Tomori
Kjaer
Kalulu
----------------------
Bennacer
Krunic
Diaz
Saele
Messias
Samu*
Giroud
Leao
Zlatan
Rebic
Lazetic

Belotti
Bernardeschi
I believe that U21 players don't count towards the 25 player squad limit. So Lazetic doesn't count against the 17 and I think Kalulu didn't either since he was 20 when the season started. Tonali didn't need to be in the 25 either since he was also 20 and we had enough Italy trained without him.

So we currently have 19 non home-grown players who we can field because Kalulu and Lazetic were U21 at the beginning of the season.

Kalulu will be counted in the squad list next year and we'll lose several Italy trained players so there will be problems we don't have now. Lazetic still wouldn't count against the 17 though, nor would any other U21 foreign player we signed.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The way this places overrates Belotti but shits on Berardi is getting weirder all the time as one keeps improving and impressing whilst the other... yeah
Maybe it's because Belotti fits in with our playstyle and Berardi doesn't? Or maybe because one is free and the other would cost around 30m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule