Status
Not open for further replies.

bullard

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
View attachment 10806
View attachment 10807
View attachment 10808

Doesn't look to me like a team that was shocked. We had way more of the ball in their half. They had more dangerous chances because of our bad mistakes, sure. That's part of why high intensity pressing works. They won more duels which is something we failed a bit at during the game. We did dribble really well and controlled the ball basically all game. We weren't as penetrative in the final third, but that's really been our problem for months now. It had nothing to do with CL intensity. If we had a problem with their intensity then we wouldn't have been able to easily move the ball into their final third the way we did.

Seems like everyone is just angry we didn't play a perfect game. Part of me is impressed that expectations are suddenly so high, but it's also really unfair to judge the players so harshly since they did an acceptable job and got an acceptable point away at a tough stadium.
I would actually argue that having this high posession means we didn't control the game. We are not a Man City, Barca, Bayern type team that heavily relies in high posession to make their game flow. We are at our best when we can press high, make opponents commit mistakes by suffocating them, and have a fast, direct on-goal buildup. We also play pretty good under pressure, when our opponents try to play aggressive againts us, as we have fast, technical, and good passers all accross the backline and midfield (with the exclusion of Calabria, who plays long balls when pressed). When we are pressed, we play ping-pong passess or long carries (mostly by Theo and Leao) to create a scoring chance. When we are the onew who press the opponent, we play fast counter-attacking football. Neither of these 2 scenarios require high ball posession.

We had the following posessions for our matches:
Salzburg - 65%
Inter - 48%
Sassuolo - 62%
Bologna - 48%
Atalanta - 59%
Udinese - 65%

We can see a trend here where a high ball posession for us means a worse game. The exception for this rule is our first match versus Udinese. Thank god Masina made a fuckup in the beginning of the second half in which Diaz scored, otherwise it would have been a pain in the ass to score the winner as we have experienced before how tough the defense of Udinese is to crackle.

Lets hope for a posession based Giampaolo masterclass for Sampdoria, that should result in a comfortable 4-0 win for us :D

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
I would actually argue that having this high posession means we didn't control the game. We are not a Man City, Barca, Bayern type team that heavily relies in high posession to make their game flow. We are at our best when we can press high, make opponents commit mistakes by suffocating them, and have a fast, direct on-goal buildup. We also play pretty good under pressure, when our opponents try to play aggressive againts us, as we have fast, technical, and good passers all accross the backline and midfield (with the exclusion of Calabria, who plays long balls when pressed). When we are pressed, we play ping-pong passess or long carries (mostly by Theo and Leao) to create a scoring chance. When we are the onew who press the opponent, we play fast counter-attacking football. Neither of these 2 scenarios require high ball posession.

We had the following posessions for our matches:
Salzburg - 65%
Inter - 48%
Sassuolo - 62%
Bologna - 48%
Atalanta - 59%
Udinese - 65%

We can see a trend here where a high ball posession for us means a worse game. The exception for this rule is our first match versus Udinese. Thank god Masina made a fuckup in the beginning of the second half in which Diaz scored, otherwise it would have been a pain in the ass to score the winner as we have experienced before how tough the defense of Udinese is to crackle.

Lets hope for a posession based Giampaolo masterclass for Sampdoria, that should result in a comfortable 4-0 win for us :D
We never had high ball possession in previous seasons but we have now.

Are they parking the bus against us?

bullard

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
We never had high ball possession in previous seasons but we have now.

Are they parking the bus against us?
Udinese - yes, but it was expected based on previous matches
Sassoulo and Atalanta - it came to me as a surprise that they played so deep the whole game. In the past, they played progressive football against us, I think they were definitely scared of us
Salzburg - after the first 25 minutes they realized that high press would not work agaings us, so they decided to sit back, and were lucky as we gifted them good chances

abritcemeng

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Malick is bigger than bakayoko
1832523685d3554f5696e2576c1ab09d.jpg

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Savićevićic, Baresi, Rikjaard, Pippo, Desailly
All jokes aside... Rade has done what's asked off him when asked and played a role in winning some important points.

We're building a winning squad, some consistency is needed, and he's not at the top of the list of concerns. plus he does have some value if we sell.

Till then Forza Rade ✌️

Now Leao and Bennacer please... Although I have mixed feelings on if they will or won't.

I feel and hope they will, but with agents whispering in their ears anything can happen unfortunately...

Either way, Forza Milan

Attachments

• the-ultimate-swiss-army-knife_400x333.jpg
    the-ultimate-swiss-army-knife_400x333.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 8

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
@Pingu

dont stop what you’re doing

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Funny how people are comparing this season as worse than last season, but then last season people said we were worse than the season before...

But like... we went from 2nd to 1st, so the comparisons and complaints are actually really fucking funny when you put them into context.

IL-Capitano

Legenda di AC Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
too many great players to list but if pushed all time favorite player: Maldini
Funny how people are comparing this season as worse than last season, but then last season people said we were worse than the season before...

But like... we went from 2nd to 1st, so the comparisons and complaints are actually really fucking funny when you put them into context.
Some people live to complain. Can’t be good for their mental health.

Godfather

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

Would you say our squad is overall stronger this season?

La Chupacabra

Primavera aficionado
Reaction score
People may laugh and ridicule Rade, but he is consistent, always puts 100%, black and red heart and currently is the most trusted backup CM we have. I am really happy for him, well deserved extension

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
People may laugh and ridicule Rade, but he is consistent, always puts 100%, black and red heart and currently is the most trusted backup CM we have. I am really happy for him, well deserved extension

No one laughs at or ridicules krunic

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Would you say our squad is overall stronger this season?
I don't think any of us know, as most people judge transfers based on reputation and price--so who knows?

Is Vranckx going to become Dembele or Bakayoko? Will Thiaw become Tomori or Senderos? Will Adli become Gourcuff or Modric? Etc etc

I think our team is more dominant this year, for sure. I was shocked at how we slapped the shit out of Inter. If Brahim didn't come on, I think we close out that game with ease, which is the little piece that people are going to hold onto.

I've never seen Atalanta settle for a point. In the CL, in the EL, against Inter, against us, I've never seen them hold on to their lives and play a low block. People fixate on the fact we drew, but we are making teams whose whole identity is pressing and attacking (like Salzburg and Atalanta) become low block relegation fodder hoping to hit on the break.

I think that says a lot about what is happening here.

patosheva

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think any of us know, as most people judge transfers based on reputation and price--so who knows?

Is Vranckx going to become Dembele or Bakayoko? Will Thiaw become Tomori or Senderos? Will Adli become Gourcuff or Modric? Etc etc

I think our team is more dominant this year, for sure. I was shocked at how we slapped the shit out of Inter. If Brahim didn't come on, I think we close out that game with ease, which is the little piece that people are going to hold onto.

I've never seen Atalanta settle for a point. In the CL, in the EL, against Inter, against us, I've never seen them hold on to their lives and play a low block. People fixate on the fact we drew, but we are making teams whose whole identity is pressing and attacking (like Salzburg and Atalanta) become low block relegation fodder hoping to hit on the break.

I think that says a lot about what is happening here.
I agree word for word.
Atalanta was like shit we need to defend we cant press them,same from rbs they tried for 20ish min then lets defend.

Super22

Wonderkid
Reaction score
The last couple of pages critical of Pioli are disgusting. It's like they forgot that we are Italian champs because of him and second year in a row in Champions' League. Who could have done better? Some people are never happy, even when we win.
I feel that Leao fantastic performance has sort of cover up the team flaws. Pioli is good but i feel people rate him better than he actually is because of Leao ballon D'or performance.

"only when the tide goes out do you know who has been swimming naked"

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If benna and leao dont renew sell them in january (and hope that leao has top WC) get 170+ mil from those 2.
If we are going to sell them, sell them in the summer, if Leao makes the jump from last season to this season, he will be worth 150m even with a year left, the bidding war will make it so.

Bennacer is probably going to renew I think.

I also think the player waiting for new owners to renew wasn't Bennacer, I think it is Leao.

DOB

Banned
Reaction score
He is above Pobega, for now. I think Pobega can be commanding. Kid just needs more minutes and focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule