Champions League Group Stage: Dinamo Zagreb vs AC Milan 25/10/2022 21:00 CET

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
I'm a little confused why everyone is putting so much weight on this game.
Chelsea winning would mean we are still in with a chance, even if we lose.
If they draw, we can even lose. That would make things difficult, as I believe we'd have to then beat Salzburg by 2 goals. Unless head to head is more important than GD?
Best case scenario, if we win and they lose, a draw would then be enough on day 6.

Hopefully this calms some of you :D

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Do we have a preference on early game or doesnt matter cause we know anyways? Salzburg loss is best for us but at the same time their win would open a route to group win? At the end have to do it ourselves.
A Salzburg loss is by far the best outcome for us. It allows us to draw one of the games and still have our fate in our hands.

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Do we have a preference on early game or doesnt matter cause we know anyways? Salzburg loss is best for us but at the same time their win would open a route to group win? At the end have to do it ourselves.
I love your confidence.
Club Brugge, Benfica, (Spurs/Marseille/Sporting), could be group winners, so finishing second might not be disastrous. Napoli may well finish top, so a 50% chance we'd get one of the teams if they do finish top and we finish second.

Chelsea winning takes away pressure from us tonight. If Salzburg win, and we don't we're out. I've just checked and head to head counts before GD.
Chelsea seem impossible to catch. They'd have to lose tonight and not win against Dinamo too.

If Chelsea win, we win, we can draw against Salzburg. Their win would mean any result keeps us in with a chance, unless we got totally hammered by Dinamo.

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
A Salzburg loss is by far the best outcome for us. It allows us to draw one of the games and still have our fate in our hands.
If Salzburg lose, we lose by 1 or even 2 goals, we'd still qualify on the last day with a win.

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
“We tried different positions for tomorrow’s game. We can be dangerous up front if we keep a certain breadth and depth, even with the plays between the lines.”

Interested to see what we are doing differently on the attacking phase today

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Its game day and I'm excited. We haven't been great in the CL so far this season but we are here. We have wanted these nights for years.

There are a number of different ways of progressing but I want two wins. This is a difficult game but a win here and a defeat for Salzburg puts qualification completely in our hands. A win against Salzburg at the San Siro will prove we are the 2nd best team in the group and that as it stands is our correct placing. If of course we win these two games!

I don't care who we get in the last 16 as long as we are there!

Forza Milan!

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
“We tried different positions for tomorrow’s game. We can be dangerous up front if we keep a certain breadth and depth, even with the plays between the lines.”

Interested to see what we are doing differently on the attacking phase today
Looks to me we're playing much deeper, mostly out of necessity. We can't push up high with Gabbia and Kjaer, so we're going to play more on the break. What's surprising is that we're going for Giroud. Origi might be a much better fit.

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
View attachment 12222

If we and Salzburg lose it will be:

Chelsea 10
Dinamo 7
Salzburg 6
Milan 4

What happens when Dinamo draws or beats Chelsea? How do we qualify?
Maybe I'm disrespecting Dinamo. But I can't see them getting a point at Stamford Bridge in that scenario.
Obviously it's out of our hands if we lose. But just highlighting it's possible.

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Looks to me we're playing much deeper, mostly out of necessity. We can't push up high with Gabbia and Kjaer, so we're going to play more on the break. What's surprising is that we're going for Giroud. Origi might be a much better fit.
I think Origi is not being used from the start not to risk injury. Not sure if his muscles are ready to start every 3 days yet

• Thumbs Up
Reactions: brk

bullard

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I believe this is the type of game Giroud will be more useful than Origi. Dinamo most likely will defend deep, with 10 man behind the ball, and try to hit us on the counter with Orsic.

Leao-CDK-Rebic-Giroud is a good front four for this game. They are all tall, can win ariel duels, which is a great source of weapon when you won't have much space.

I expect an ugly game. We had a hard time at San Siro as well before the penalty. We had possession, we were in control, but couldn't create the chances. Thank god for the foul on Leao. That penalty unlocked the game for us.

When you are leading against a deep defending side, sooner or later they have to change their style, if they want to get something out of the match. That leaves us with more space to hit them on the counter, as they will push us higher on the pitch.

Getting that first goal will be crucial, and I think Giroud's ariel presence will be the key for it. I believe Pioli thinks the same, and when we are leading, he can bring in Diaz, Messias, and Origi, and hit them on the counter to secure the win.

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
if ante is playing with leao I feel super confident

rebic is one hell of a team player

I expect him to assist at least 1

I think giroud out late if we haven't scored and bring in Diaz pushing ante in the middle

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wait giroud is starting?

Fuck me, give it a rest already padre.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I believe this is the type of game Giroud will be more useful than Origi. Dinamo most likely will defend deep, with 10 man behind the ball, and try to hit us on the counter with Orsic.

Leao-CDK-Rebic-Giroud is a good front four for this game. They are all tall, can win ariel duels, which is a great source of weapon when you won't have much space.

I expect an ugly game. We had a hard time at San Siro as well before the penalty. We had possession, we were in control, but couldn't create the chances. Thank god for the foul on Leao. That penalty unlocked the game for us.

When you are leading against a deep defending side, sooner or later they have to change their style, if they want to get something out of the match. That leaves us with more space to hit them on the counter, as they will push us higher on the pitch.

Getting that first goal will be crucial, and I think Giroud's ariel presence will be the key for it. I believe Pioli thinks the same, and when we are leading, he can bring in Diaz, Messias, and Origi, and hit them on the counter to secure the win.
I don't want to see us dominating possession, pumping crosses, then running back hoping Kjaer and Gabbia can keep up.

bullard

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I don't want to see us dominating possession, pumping crosses, then running back hoping Kjaer and Gabbia can keep up.
Me neither, but I think that is the most likely scenario for today until we score our first goal, just like in the San Siro game.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
188 - 192 -185

The height of our front 4 today
With Kjaer and Gabbia at the back, we're probably safe from set pieces. We should also be pretty threatening on our own attacking set plays, but I would be extremely surprised if we score a goal from a corner or a header off a free kick. We're that bad.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Me neither, but I think that is the most likely scenario for today until we score our first goal, just like in the San Siro game.
I feel like Pioli is changing it up today. Dinamo WANT us to push up looking for a goal. If we sit back and hit THEM on the break, we would play to our strengths and hide our weaknesses, while exploiting theirs. Giroud in this case would act as our quick outball and his job is to just flick it into the path or Leao/Rebic, or backs to CDK. Then try his best to run into the box to finish off the move.

I think and hope that Pioli changes our gameplan today and we don't go for the high line high press. Let's sit back, soak their pressure, then hit them on the break. With our tall CBs we can defend crosses, and with Kalulu and Theo we can really run at them in transition.

Last edited:

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
CDK needs to play more in the midfield instead of like a second striker. Get the ball early and turn and attack, look for outlets to leao/rebic

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roger Federer is the GOAT
I feel like Pioli is changing it up today. Dinamo WANT us to push up looking for a goal. If we sit back and hit THEN on the break, we would play to our strengths and hide our weaknesses, while exploiting theirs. Giroud in this case would act as our quick outball and his job is to just flick it into the path or Leao/Rebic, or backs to CDK. Then try his best to run into the box to finish off the move.

I think and hope that Pioli changes our gameplan to day and we don't go for the high line high press. Let's sit back, soak their pressure, then hit them on the break. With our tall CBs we can defend crosses, and with Kalulu and Theo we can really run at them in transition.
We have to play more smart in the CL. Can’t go all kamikaze always. It’s good to sit back and wait on the counter sometimes

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Lets see what pioli does

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 12222

If we and Salzburg lose it will be:

Chelsea 10
Dinamo 7
Salzburg 6
Milan 4

What happens when Dinamo draws or beats Chelsea? How do we qualify?
No, if we win and Salzburg lose it will be:

Chelsea 10
Milan 7
Salzburg 6
Dinamo 4

That puts us in a great position needing to not lose on the final matchday.

Your results are if Salzburg and us lose today. That puts us in a shit spot needing a win and Dinamo to lose to Chelsea.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No, if we win and Salzburg lose it will be:

Chelsea 10
Milan 7
Salzburg 6
Dinamo 4

That puts us in a great position needing to not lose on the final matchday.

Your results are if Salzburg and us lose today. That puts us in a shit spot needing a win and Dinamo to lose to Chelsea.
...That's what I said, if we and Salzburg lose. It's a hypothetical.

rossoner03

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
...That's what I said, if we and Salzburg lose. It's a hypothetical.
If we lose at today at NKD then will be better to finish 4th.....what's the point to play in EL?
We'll focus more on Serie A

Don't get me wrong...I wish we qualify to KO stages, but loosing today meahhh

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Two wins, 1st starting today.
This team needs to start getting wins in this competition so it becomes habit just like in the league.

I expect a strong performance.

Shevy_007

Omo Naija!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Pirlo, Nesta, Maldini, Baresi, van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard

Now, this line-up makes more sense and IMO poses the strongest line-up - considering available players and the opponent, while still leaving players who can come in and impact the game as needed. The front 4 would combine well for hold up play on the break, running at the defenders to create space, making decisive passes in the final third and being clinical with chances.

When does Mike come back again?

Schedule