Zaniolo al Milan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
There's a real concern with Kalulu and Tomori's ariel ability

Especially with a midfield of Tonali, Bennacer, Renato....a lot of short players, would absolutely get fucked on set pieces. Maybe Kjaer could fill that gap but its unrealistic to assume he comes back at a high level

Hopefully Kalulu will be used at RB more and they will rotate the defense based on matchups
Kalulu and Tomori are in the bottom 10% of aerials won. It’s just a fact that as a duo they’re vulnerable in the air even if they’re impenetrable on the ground.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
fucking djuric bullied them but sure, no problem there i guess:proud:if you think their height won't get exposed badly in CL then you cannot be helped. a tall monster like botman is a must!
just imagine a defence of
kalulu—tomori—botman—theo
that's insanely good:fp:
I don’t think Kalulu was playing against Salernitana

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Theo is so clearly the biggest star in this team. First fullback Ballon d'Or winner.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We are playing them at the moment and it is not like Tomori and Kalulu are leaking aerial goals left, right and center. It is maybe their biggest weakness, but in no way is it preventing them from being an extremely effective pairing ... and we played a couple of really physically dominant teams with them. Real concern is a bit much, it is maybe a weakness, but not a problem.

I don't think it is unrealistic to assume that Kjaer will come back at a high level, in that regard anything is possible, including him not coming back to form but it is not a law. Maybe I am naturally optimistic but the stance on Kjaer seems a bit overly pessimistic to me.
Duvan missed a free header. Cabral should have scored if not for Maignan. Almost all our big chances conceded were headers from set pieces or crosses.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Theo is so clearly the biggest star in this team. First fullback Ballon d'Or winner.
I don’t know, I think Leao and Maignan are up there with him, and if he keeps it up, Tonali will be too.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i know hes not dead but hes coming back from a seriuos injury and you want to start the next season with only three CB !?
2 goals conceded in the last 12 games so yea CB is a priority for sure , we're at first place bcuz we have great defenders and they are doing fantastic jobs .
and now we're getting another great talent for that post to secure our back line for next season and CL games .

just remeber ladri had chielin bonucci barzagli rugani [i dont rate rugani at all ] benatia and they won scudetto bcuz of their strong backline for many years .
They also played with 3 at the back. We definitely need 4 CB, maybe 5. I never advocated for 3 CBs. Relocating Budget doesn't mean that we cannot buy or in that case ideally loan-option a CB.
Also we still have Gabbia, who should get loaned, but if he stays he will be one more option and if Kjaer assessment in preseason is positive. I wouldn't be flat out scared of him as 4th CB, although I have to say that would be too minimalistic even for my liking.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They also played with 3 at the back. We definitely need 4 CB, maybe 5. I never advocated for 3 CBs. Relocating Budget doesn't mean that we cannot buy or in that case ideally loan-option a CB.
Also we still have Gabbia, who should get loaned, but if he stays he will be one more option and if Kjaer assessment in preseason is positive. I wouldn't be flat out scared of him as 4th CB, although I have to say that would be too minimalistic even for my liking.
Our ambition next season is different. We will be playing to challenge in the CL. We need a lot of quality everywhere and no weaknesses. As long as we can afford Botman, Kjaer, Tomori and Kalulu, why not? Two strong, two fast CBs and we vary as needed. By default, Tomori and Botman start and Kalulu starts RB.

When we upgrade CF, RW and with Adli and Renato rotating in AM….. mamma mia

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Duvan missed a free header. Cabral should have scored if not for Maignan. Almost all our big chances conceded were headers from set pieces or crosses.
I am not even disagreeing but likewise there are also situations where a less agile CB (not even pure pace) would have been beaten. I am not arguing against it being some weakness, my point of view is that two super fast, agile, tall, tactical aware and physical CBs are not realistic, especially in these day and age with classic defending in decline and athleticism pushed much further. Therefor I´d theorize that accepting one weakness is ok and doesn't automatically constitute a problem.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Our ambition next season is different. We will be playing to challenge in the CL. We need a lot of quality everywhere and no weaknesses. As long as we can afford Botman, Kjaer, Tomori and Kalulu, why not? Two strong, two fast CBs and we vary as needed. By default, Tomori and Botman start and Kalulu starts RB.

When we upgrade CF, RW and with Adli and Renato rotating in AM….. mamma mia

If we can afford it yes, give me Botman. If not I´d have 2 positions in attack I´d splash the cash on for a CL run, before even thinking of CB.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I am not even disagreeing but likewise there are also situations where a less agile CB (not even pure pace) would have been beaten. I am not arguing against it being some weakness, my point of view is that two super fast, agile, tall, tactical aware and physical CBs are not realistic, especially in these day and age with classic defending in decline and athleticism pushed much further. Therefor I´d theorize that accepting one weakness is ok and doesn't automatically constitute a problem.

It is a problem because your opponents can exploit it. If we want to defend high and fast, we play Tomori+Kalulu. If we want a mix, Botman+Tomori. If we want to close up, back three with two big guys.

The more variety and versatility you have the better, especially with an brave and innovative coach like Pioli.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If we can afford it yes, give me Botman. If not I´d have 2 positions in attack I´d splash the cash on for a CL run, before even thinking of CB.
We’re getting Botman solely on the money we save by not renewing Romagnoli and not a penny more. Yes he was paid that much.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It is a problem because your opponents can exploit it. If we want to defend high and fast, we play Tomori+Kalulu. If we want a mix, Botman+Tomori. If we want to close up, back three with two big guys.

The more variety and versatility you have the better, especially with an brave and innovative coach like Pioli.
Exploiting a weakness is not that easy though, our attack being Leao or left side dependent is a weakness, and while we all are for improving the right side in attack it is not like it is easy to shut us down per se.
Tonali+Bennacer not being physical monsters is also a weakness, it also was felt in a couple of matches but its not like opponents are able to exploit that regularly.

However I agree that we need options that are strong in the air, Kjaer and even Gabbia are that and if we buy someone that profile doesn't necessarily need to cost 30m. If we have the money to afford Botman without restricting other positions I am all for it as I said.
At the same time I don't think even Pioli would go crazy rotating CBs a lot, that's imo a bit different from other positions and I cannot really remember Pioli doing that. If a pair performs well it is usually left untouched as the chance of fucking up things is pretty high compared to tactical gain.

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
Calabria is a very well balanced FB, with average speed but good special and positional awareness. Kalulu tracks space a lot better as a CB than as FB and isn't really that effective when playing inverted instead of overlapping, which is a staple of Piolis total football approach. Kalulu does well when overlapping because he is a good crosser, inverted Calabria and Florenzi are a lot stronger, of course Theo is king here. Kalulu as a FB isn't per se a bad attacker, but in Piolis system he adds some predictability, at least at the moment, he of course has more than enough time to iron all these things out.

I don’t think Kalulu has any faults besides his aerial ability to be honest. Calabria has looked shaky and nervous with and without the ball recently. Kalulu has looked supremely confident while defending, while passing, and while bringing the ball our of defense. In fact his composure is astonishing for his age. I don’t think there’s anything Calabria does at full back, inverted or not, that Pierre can’t do better.

Just like the team outgrew Romagnoli, it is outgrowing Calabria. A great squad player but we really need to up the ante next season (pun some what intended)

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
A crazy thought - why not Kalulu at DM to replace Kessie? Kid has all the tools.

If we are going to move him out of CB, it’s worth trying imo. A but of a weird idea but I think it could have some merit. Thoughts?

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Theo winning CL with RM:
original

Theo winning CL with us:
AliveBothCowbird-size_restricted.gif

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
Botman is not that special in my opinion. I understand the need to have a young and able 3rd center back but spending 30m on him when we have more pressing needs elsewhere.. idk.
His value is obviously pumped by Lille winning the title last year but who says it wasn't a freak year for them? They are currently 10th in Ligue 1.
I don't think we should be buying high and potentially selling low if things don't work out.

Because Botman is not a high profile player. He is yet to make his debut for the Netherlands and is not in realistic contention atm.
He is basically an Ajax reject because he didn't fit the playing style (and our current playing style is more like Ajax' than Lille's). At the U20 Euro's he also didn't look that good for the Netherlands.

I don't see the point in Botman yet.. But Maldini & Co probably know better than me so we'll see.

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
What's funny, Kalulu is like a death sentence to captains. First it was Romagnoli and now maybe Calabria. :lol:

Speaking of that, who will be our next captain, if we consider that Romagnoli/Kessie will no longer be on the pitch + possibly Calabria on the bench? I think Theo is next in that hierarchy.

For romantic reasons I want Tonali as captain, but Theo was also very good in that role.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
What's funny, Kalulu is like a death sentence to captains. First it was Romagnoli and now maybe Calabria. :lol:

Speaking of that, who will be our next captain, if we consider that Romagnoli/Kessie will no longer be on the pitch + possibly Calabria on the bench? I think Theo is next in that hierarchy.
hopefully one of Theo/Mike/Sandro

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
Milenkovic (15mil) and Belotti >>> Botman (30mil) and Origi

nekky

Big Muffin
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic Kaká T.Silva Shevschenko Pato Nesta Maldini Theo
hopefully one of Theo/Mike/Sandro
Really should be Theo. It would also be quite romantic in a way, cementing his place as the true heir of Maldini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule