The Red & Black Forums

The Red & Black Forums (http://forum.acmilan-online.com/index.php)
-   Rules, Announcements, Feedback & Support (http://forum.acmilan-online.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Problems + Suggestions (http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showthread.php?t=7700)

Charbel 10-06-2011 14:52

Beemer tried to stop that word way back, it didn't happen back then...and I don't see it happening now.

drucurl 10-06-2011 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredrik9 (Post 1023309)
A moderator defends the use of the word "rape".

I have never used this thing before, but now I will: :fp:

Would you use the word "rape" in every day talk? At work? With your parents?

What's the difference between using this word and words like "murder" or similar? "Murder" is quite far fetched, and it's used in other aspects of life as well, describing other things than something that happens in football. "Rape" isn't. It's becoming unique in football talk.

I am sure those using the word don't have a sister, a mother, a girlfriend or a friend, male or female, who has been raped. And then witnessing them trying to repair and restore their lives after such an horrible experience. Something many of them still live with each day for the rest of their lives.

And again, no, there is no comparison between using words like "murder", "batter" and "slaughter", and "rape".

For those who use it here, I suggest you start using it every day life as well. And we'll see how that goes.

I'm not better than you. I used the word frequently here until someone made a remark about. And that made me think. That's an ability I hope most Milan fans have, as compared to Merda monkeys who can barely speak.

I'm not suggesting banning the word, because free speech is kind of a cool thing.

But people think about it. For fucks sake.

Not trying to argue for the sake of it but how is murder any more remote than rape? Also murder is a far more evil crime. As terrible as it is rape victims can recover. People who get murdered, slaughtered and families that are massacred can't. I think it's not right to give a lesser tragedy more importance over a more serious one. For instance, if someone in your family got raped and there was some guy who had a family member flogged publicly. Now suppose you were reading the forum and a poster said "wow what a public flogging that was of printer" and the other guy, traumatized by what he witnessed asks for a ban on the term- how would the family member of the rape victim feel after gearing the term being used all the time and understanding its metaphorical usage?

fredrik9 10-06-2011 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by drucurl (Post 1023318)
Not trying to argue for the sake of it but how is murder any more remote than rape?

Now you're arguing for the sake of it. Did I say people should use the word "murder"? No. But there are huge differences between the two. Murder is always murder. In all countries. Rape is something completely different. It's a disease as well as a crime, and for many victims something shameful. But let's not make a discussion out of that. Thank you.

Wet Ones 10-06-2011 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by drucurl (Post 1023318)
As terrible as it is rape victims can recover.

How many rape victims you know personally Dru?

Sage 10-06-2011 16:16

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...opcorn_yes.gif

drucurl 10-06-2011 16:20

won't say anymore. Anything else I say will be construed as insensitivity towards victims. This is not me. I also apologize to any who see my view that way. As for Wet Ones one of my exgirlfriends was a victim.

MilanMB 10-06-2011 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by drucurl (Post 1023359)
As for Wet Ones one of my exgirlfriends was a victim.

Was it you?

------

Now this was a bad and distasteful "rape-joke"... the word rape in football is only a metaphor and nothing else... obviously :lol:

Marcus made some good points on the subject. People should stop being so sensitive about stuff like this, it's just a word and it's not meant as an insult to people who has been raped.

Corzioli 10-06-2011 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 1023355)

Burj, please stop repeatedly posting this when someone's sh#t's about to hit the fan.

Otherwise you'll be shining Ali Daei's boots unfailingly every 0500 hours for like half an eternity up there in Parris Island. :lol:

Charbel 10-06-2011 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilanMB (Post 1023369)
Was it you?

------

Now this was a bad and distasteful "rape-joke"... the word rape in football is only a metaphor and nothing else... obviously :lol:

Marcus made some good points on the subject. People should stop being so sensitive about stuff like this, it's just a word and it's not meant as an insult to people who has been raped.

Many people nowadays use the word "*****" and don't mean to insult people with black skin whilst using it. Even, people of that race, use that word [ in television at least ] speaking to each other. Does all of this make the word any less insulting? Of course no. Point is, many words have been taken out of context and just because they aren't mean to insult doesn't make them any less severe. It's not so hard to replace the word "rape" with the word "kick their asses". It's a small thing to do when you consider how much people have suffered as a result of the meaning of that word...it might be a tad respectful for them to not degrade the word to a point were it makes no meaning at all , or nothing significant at least, when it has changed their lives since they encountered that incident. It's up to each person though, and people shouldn't be judged if they do use it, but I guess not using it wouldn't do much harm...actually it would be the beginning of clearing the over-usage of that word.

drucurl 10-06-2011 17:05

It's incredible how much the mods allow MilanMB to continually harass me then jump on my ass at the slightest infraction :)

Guy has been getting personal with me over a year now and nothing is ever done. Forza consistency :proud:

Sage 10-06-2011 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corzioli (Post 1023371)
Burj, please stop repeatedly posting this when someone's sh#t's about to hit the fan.

Otherwise you'll be shining Ali Daei's boots unfailingly every 0500 hours for like half an eternity up there in Parris Island. :lol:

LOL wut? why would usa invade one of their bases :lol:

david is waiting for me to stomp someone so he can ban me, so im going to let this one fly ;)

Corzioli 10-06-2011 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charbel (Post 1023379)
Many people nowadays use the word "*****" and don't mean to insult people with black skin whilst using it.***yeah right. Very, very true*** Even, people of that race, use that word [ in television at least ] speaking to each other. Does all of this make the word any less insulting? Of course no. Point is, many words have been taken out of context and just because they aren't mean to insult doesn't make them any less severe. It's not so hard to replace the word "rape" with the word "kick their asses". It's a small thing to do when you consider how much people have suffered as a result of the meaning of that word...it might be a tad respectful for them to not degrade the word to a point were it makes no meaning at all , or nothing significant at least, when it has changed their lives since they encountered that incident. It's up to each person though, and people shouldn't be judged if they do use it, but I guess not using it wouldn't do much harm...actually it would be the beginning of clearing the over-usage of that word.

Ok..been lurking on this discussion cos I'm pretty busy working on my Facebook Page atm, but since you dropped this gauntlet specifically FOR ME I WILL react shortly.................you did touch on a raw nerve just a bit my friend from the land of cedars. :D:D

MilanMB 10-06-2011 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by drucurl (Post 1023384)
It's incredible how much the mods allow MilanMB to continually harass me then jump on my ass at the slightest infraction :)

Guy has been getting personal with me over a year now and nothing is ever done. Forza consistency :proud:

What?

What I meant was that "was it you?" would be a bad usage of the word rape because it's a distasteful joke etc while using it in football it's only a metaphor.

Maybe I should have been clearer about that. I wasn't actually asking you, I only used it as an example. :lol:

and btw, don't whine... our arguments are fun :D

Marcus 10-06-2011 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilanMB (Post 1023369)
Was it you?

------

My point was it in football talks it loses the sexual connotation and begins meaning "forcing oneself's will onto". Which again, is closer to the original meaning - latin rapiō (“to abduct or seize by force”).

Interesting thing. The definition on Wiktionary gives the following meanings for the verb:

Quote:

Verb

rape (third-person singular simple present rapes, present participle raping, simple past and past participle raped)

1.To force sexual intercourse or other sexual activity upon another person, without their consent.

2. To abuse an object in an extreme manner.

3. (slang) To dominate in a contest.
I'm not defending the act of rape. I'm defending it's usage in a different meaning, in different circumstances. In general, I dislike "banning" words. It's language. It's imperfect as it is, no need to put more restrictions on it. If it expresses what your thoughts on a subject are, use it. Then again, I love Wittgenstein.

EDIT: Important thing to note. I express my opinions on this forum, not that of the moderating team. They have their own profiles. Don't take what I write as a mod, but as a member. When speaking as a mod, I'll say so.

Charbel 10-06-2011 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corzioli (Post 1023393)
Ok..been lurking on this discussion cos I'm pretty busy working on my Facebook Page atm, but since you dropped this gauntlet specifically FOR ME I WILL react shortly.................you did touch on a raw nerve just a bit my friend from the land of cedars. :D:D

...I've heard friends of mine call a guy who is from USA, but living in Lebanon, as a "*****" and he never felt once insulted because he new they had no bad intentions. I'm glad you did respond, and I'm pretty sure my post doesn't have anything that makes me look like a racist. So glad you know a tad about Lebanon.

MilanMB 10-06-2011 17:20

Charbel :fp:

It's not the same thing.

I don't want to get into this with you, you seem to be a really nice boy and a moralist. We will never agree with each other. :D

Charbel 10-06-2011 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilanMB (Post 1023401)
Charbel :fp:

It's not the same thing.

I don't want to get into this with you, you seem to be a really nice boy and a moralist. We will never agree with each other. :D

hehehehhe:lol: I do understand, btw, that you[ or anyone for that matter] use the term with no intentions of it being offensive. Just wanted to make you look through a different perspective.;)

Pedro 10-06-2011 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 1023397)
EDIT: Important thing to note. I express my opinions on this forum, not that of the moderating team. They have their own profiles. Don't take what I write as a mod, but as a member. When speaking as a mod, I'll say so.

Maybe it should be the other way around. If you defend the use of a word in the P+S thread for who know's sake, it really looks like a moderator defending the forum for allowing this word. Though moderator Lisa fights the use of the word. Anywho. Little advice is be aware of what message you bring when speaking with your status. ;) If you post, we all see it's a moderator saying something... you, as any moderator, represent the moderators who represent what's alright and what isn't to do.

Corzioli 10-06-2011 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 1023388)
LOL wut? why would usa invade one of their bases :lol:

david is waiting for me to stomp someone so he can ban me, so im going to let this one fly ;)

naaaaaaah, they're not invading their major beefcake pansy party..they're only coming for YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch out for some Mossad agents running outta some hotel right there in central Dubai..they claim they came for some Pakistani or some sh%t but that's a ruse.............................................. .............................Ali D sent them, choppers and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::t ongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::ton gue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongu e::tongue:

fredrik9 10-06-2011 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 1023397)
Interesting thing. The definition on Wiktionary gives the following meanings for the verb:

Interesting thing. You had to consult Wiktionary and not Webster or something with a bit more credibility.

But you didn't answer my post at all. Where, in other situations than this forum, do you use the word "rape" unless it is about actual rape.