English Premier League Thread II

Who will win the EPL title this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

neutral

Milan Icon
Reaction score
What doesnt make sense it why Wenger doesnt mind spending 15 mil on AOC but will make a 6 mil bid for an established player.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@sven.... if they gave wenger money to spend and he fucked up refused even though they wanted him to, wouldn't he be fired?

I'm just saying its a possibility they don't want him to. I mean look how stingy they are on wages with nasri..a pfa player of year nominee. They did it with adebayor too when he was a leading scorer candidate too... toure, flamini and others

In the end of the day its not HIS money. He who controls money always has most power. If board wanted investment in older players they'd force it or fire him. While wenger is certainly guilty of his own mistakes the board has got no desire to win titles or they'd force some older experienced players on him but they've made it clear its a poor investment cause there's no resale value

I don't exclude their board to lack ambition also, you're problably right here.

And I don't think Wenger "refuses" to use the money they gave to him. Actually, they problably don't even have a fixed budget (like most of the teams). It's simply that Wenger history in Arsenal got him into a position of power where he does his thing his way. He will not engage Arsenal in market fight for big transfers (when was the last time Arsenal fought in the market for a great player? Arshavin?), and he will not pursue big names. He just keep doing his thing, get his scouts to search for young players with a football style he likes. And on those players he will put real effort and resources.

And the board had no reason to be unhappy with his way so far or push for massive changes. Specially cause till now Arsenal achieved UCL football. If Wenger thinks it's ok to pay 13 M for Koscielny, they will trust and not push him to pay 25 M for David Luiz, even if they got the money.

Actually, this is the first time they're on a real crisis and on the need of strong decisions and huge changes.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What doesnt make sense it why Wenger doesnt mind spending 15 mil on AOC but will make a 6 mil bid for an established player.

I think it's about wages. Wenger seems to really object to the wage demands of established players, and the young guys he's paid substantial fees for won't have been asking for a lot.

Gio

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Gattuso, Nesta, Kaká, Cafu, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Ambrosini, Sheva, Stam, Totti, R9
I think it's about wages. Wenger seems to really object to the wage demands of established players, and the young guys he's paid substantial fees for won't have been asking for a lot.

They're becoming Udinese. Brilliant scouting system that spots some absolute gems, they then establish themselves and get a big reputation, their wage demands increase and the income of the club means they have to sell because they can't keep the players, this money is then simply re-invested into the club and to balance the books rather than go out and spend millions.

Both clubs have made 50m + from the sale of players this summer, and although Arsenal have spent 15m on Oxlade-Chamberlain, they've hardly sent shockwaves through the transfer market with the huge amount they've made, could've bought two brilliant players for that price, however as with Udinese, the majority of this cash is just injected back into the clubs' respective books.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
:thumbsup:

I have to blame Arsene for this, Best thing ever woudl have been if they would have traded cesc and wegner for pep

It cud 1 day easily happen. Pep wont be at Barca 4 many more years... at this rate Arsenal wont keep Wenger 4 much longer.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I think one of the biggest problems with Arsene is that even if it's to make the management look good, he's press conferences make him look as a completely deluded senile man, who lost the plot and doesn't seem to want to make any changes.

I do think the board is partly to blame in their disaster, they don't seem to care much about the results, and like it's been said, they're probably happy about the fact that they're making money instead of losing it. But blaming mostly the management falls short when an 8-2 happens, specially the mental fragility of the team and Arsene's "do nothing" move after the 4th goal. It's established, United are much better, and your team suffered a blow from selling 2 important players, ok you're not gonna make a comeback at 4-1 with so many kids in the field, you go there and do anything in your power to avoid a big trashing, park the bus with whole team if it's needed. But Arsene did nothing (granted the ref was a bitch by not whistling at the 90th when it was already 7-2, but doesn't change anything).

I dunno if after the 4th he thought it was best to not do anything and send a message to the management that they need to spend if they want the team to win (after all part of the prestige of owning a team is that your team wins stuff or at the very least it doesn't make headlines for the trashings they get, you're not gonna brag about making profits and having superavits when your team is a laughing stock, nor is it truely sustainable to have a mediocre team just to make profits in salaries, fans, gloryhunters, etc will get fed up, you're not gonna qualify to CL, you're likely to lose some sponsors, those are big sources of income).

Or if it was just that he is incapable I mean I've seen it over and over in the past 3 seasons, he doesn't sacrifice "good football" for a park in the bus when needed, he is clueless once a part of his puzzle falls down, and quite frankly, you can't blame the management if he doesn't bring up someone to replace Flamini (Denilson? he's good but he can't do what Flamini did, completely different players), or good defenders, or a no.9 to replace Adebayor...needless to say he doesn't seem to want to go for players like Vieira or Gilberto Silva. All in all even if he is making profits for his management, he hasn't exactly gone for what his team truely needs and it's not like he has to go and overspend to get those players. The team is weak in all it's lines.

I have no doubt in my mind that Arsene is a really good coach to bring up talent, and that he can make a wonderful team, but at same time since he became stubborn with his style of game, he seems to be stubborn in terms of which players to get...management is at fault for prefering a "don't spend much" approach, completely agreed (and he seems ok with it), but he's the one that picks the players and the style of players he wants.

Anyway if it's to send the management a lesson, if they're gonna start looking for an established player now or a really good player that hasn't exploded yet they're gonna have to overspend on his wages to convince him to get there, cause who will want to go to a team that looks on it's way down and just lost 8-2? And sad thing is, it doesn't like a "one good player to fix this mess", they need at least 3 transfers to try to get to CL football, and there's just 3 days left in the market (I'm pretty sure they'll just push for Hazard, will give Campbell on loan + money).

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20110...ible-clon-de-mario-balotelli_54206920147.html

What is the only thing Joel Campbell and Balotelli have in common? They're both black, which according to this pseudo journalist is enough to know that Campbell is a troublemaker. Fucking racist. I'll take it more as part of Barca press against Arsenal than an attack to this kid. Seriously what kind of note is that? 2 paragraphs, one stating he was bought by Arsenal, the other one saying "he has shown good things, but is personality can cause problems", nothing to justify it on...

Last edited:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Anyone notice Nasri had 3 assists last night breaking his grand total of 1 assist for Arsenal last season. :lol:

Man U fanboys are killing me on my Facebook news feed. Wish I could just block em all.
Feel for you bro. But this is not even close to the humiliation of 09/10. :cry:

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed after the game that the forward had pulled his hamstring, and will be ruled out for a month.

Ferguson told BBC Sport: “It is a loss for us and for England.

“Danny complained of a tight hamstring before he actually pulled it and we couldn’t get Hernandez on quick enough.

“It is a shame for Danny but it [his absence] will be around four to five weeks.”

Footiefan

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giggs, Scholes, Van Der Sar, Keano.
So far Young has been amazing for us, so is Phil Jones. What a tank he is.

Cleverley has changed the way we play. He was much needed addition to our team. With him Anderson is playing better than ever.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
If Fergie manages to create another group of great youngesters to form the next United legacy,they should build like i dunno a stadium after him or something :lol:

Not sure who will they replace him after his gone,its probably gonna have a similar effect to Maldini retiring.Although not on the same scale since Maldini is God and Fergie just a talented mortal.

P.S: Wenger should take notes :lol:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
If Fergie manages to create another group of great youngesters to form the next United legacy,they should build like i dunno a stadium after him or something :lol:

Not sure who will they replace him after his gone,its probably gonna have a similar effect to Maldini retiring.Although not on the same scale since Maldini is God and Fergie just a talented mortal.

P.S: Wenger should take notes :lol:

yeh, the curva sure gave maldini a great day :thumbsup:

nuttela

Super Bludfam
Staff member
Reaction score
Fabregas and Nasri made the best decisions of their lives

also, Arsenals avg age has changed from 17 to 14 now that the "experienced" players have left

that 8-2 drubbing is surreal

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
yeh, the curva sure gave maldini a great day :thumbsup:

Im not sure,i just have a vague suspicion that this has been mentioned a billion times,but a few idiots that had nothing to do with the whole curva sud started that shit.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Im not sure,i just have a vague suspicion that this has been mentioned a billion times,but a few idiots that had nothing to do with the whole curva sud started that shit.

I thought the ones that booed him a part of the curva, while the normal fans were applauding him.

I might be wrong, but all I know is that they were part of the curva.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having a good laugh reading ZM report about the 8 x 2:

Where to begin? It’s difficult to look at an 8-2 and break it down into specific areas that went wrong. Arsenal were simply poorer in every possible attribute that goes into competing in a football match,

The secondary issue was with the high defensive line, which is suicidal enough when there is no pressure on the ball – but that almost becomes a pedantic point when the main issue was that the back four was incapable of moving as a unit. Two players would step up, two would drop back.

Getting tackles in, getting blocks in – not sophisticated, not the Arsenal way and unlikely to be a deciding factor upon the game, but when your side can’t keep the ball, can’t keep an offside line and is letting the opposition play, these are the things you have to be halfway decent at. If not, you’re liable to concede eight goals.

This is amazing:

Laurent Koscielny finished with a 100% pass completion ratio…yet kept getting caught too high up the pitch when defending. Carl Jenkinson was a force going forward and got an assist…yet didn’t make a single successful tackle.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Arsenal's average age was 23.6 yesterday. Manchester United's average age was 23.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I thought the ones that booed him a part of the curva, while the normal fans were applauding him.

They just stayed in the curva,the rest of the fans in the curva applauded him ad tried there best to cover the idiots up.

I'm having a good laugh reading ZM report about the 8 x 2:

This is amazing:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:I said durring half time that the possition of there defense was attrocious and if they didnt do something about it ,there gonna get murdered.

Wenger really cracked under pressure there,he should have sorted it out at half time.I think he just stood there without saying nothing like he did all match long.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
The lack of a single tactical switch at halftime spoke volumes about AW's stubbornness. Also conveys very clearly that he'll never change - whether they lose 0-1 or 2-8.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Would be great deal for Toons if they can get Davide Santon. Am all for it.

I have read this multiple times not just over this forum but elsewhere but never really bothered to reply them.. but now isn't this video from Curva Sud?

and wasn't Paolo booed by the ones sitting in Curva Nord that day vs Roma while he was taking his lap? Correct me if am wrong.

Last edited:

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ece6b5f1f66baa8e199b23d392dbed03.png

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
you know what you really realize? Arsenal's defense was bad last year, but with fabregas and nasri they held a lot of posession in other half particularly (nasri).

Now without them they can't they get slaughtered.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
you know what you really realize? Arsenal's defense was bad last year, but with fabregas and nasri they held a lot of posession in other half particularly (nasri).

Now without them they can't they get slaughtered.

Im still pretty amazed at how Nasri was in a way held back at Arsenal.

Okay, maybe its too early to judge him at Citeh but from what I saw, he was pretty much all over the pitch and its something I didnt really see at Arsenal, and the fact that hes excelled with this much freedom is a result of him not having to be in anyone's shadow. He used to come deep but would constantly stick to that left wing, sometimes drifting inside.

Obviously the freedom has benefited his game. Three assists in one game compared to one assist all season long and his passing and flick ons were very crisp, could have had more.

I agree about Arsenal but last season they had Clichy and Sagna pretty much week in week out putting in decent performances. I dunno about you guys but Clichy is pretty decent when it comes to closing down his man, I felt he did pretty well against Lennon yesterday.

Also, they didnt have this many injury/suspension worries last season, all coming at once. They will recover when everyone is fit/back. Interesting note though from Opta stats, no team has finished in the top 4 after collecting just one point in their opening 3 games.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Im still pretty amazed at how Nasri was in a way held back at Arsenal.

Okay, maybe its too early to judge him at Citeh but from what I saw, he was pretty much all over the pitch and its something I didnt really see at Arsenal, and the fact that hes excelled with this much freedom is a result of him not having to be in anyone's shadow. He used to come deep but would constantly stick to that left wing, sometimes drifting inside.

Obviously the freedom has benefited his game. Three assists in one game compared to one assist all season long and his passing and flick ons were very crisp, could have had more.

I agree about Arsenal but last season they had Clichy and Sagna pretty much week in week out putting in decent performances. I dunno about you guys but Clichy is pretty decent when it comes to closing down his man, I felt he did pretty well against Lennon yesterday.

Also, they didnt have this many injury/suspension worries last season, all coming at once. They will recover when everyone is fit/back. Interesting note though from Opta stats, no team has finished in the top 4 after collecting just one point in their opening 3 games.

A big reason is that Mancini seems to allow Nasri to be a regular crossing winger, as well as to cut in at times. At Arsenal, he was always asked to cut in.

Crosses to Dzeko were excellent.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
A big reason is that Mancini seems to allow Nasri to be a regular crossing winger, as well as to cut in at times. At Arsenal, he was always asked to cut in.

Crosses to Dzeko were excellent.

another reason is man city are more direct and goal minded.

How often have you watched arsenal search for "THE PERFECT GOAL"?

Nasri can be highly decisive.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule