Alessandro Costacurta Thread

Ragazza

Milan, solo con te...
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, ZAMBROTTA, NESTA, SES, MAGIC MIKE
was this a coincidental meeting or did you know he was going to be in that area?

how lucky to snap a picture with him either way!

and you look totally adorable as a teenager...no awkward teen years for CP :thumbsup:

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Great picture man

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
capitano
t_ac_milan_alessandro_costacurta-5765307.jpeg

4.Costacurta.jpg

6a47ff4964e9e33d31712702057fbd68.jpeg

lapr_10417961_27330.jpg

hi-res-57248244_crop_north.jpg

Milan_difesa_storica.jpg

golden age

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
was this a coincidental meeting or did you know he was going to be in that area?

how lucky to snap a picture with him either way!

and you look totally adorable as a teenager...no awkward teen years for CP :thumbsup:

This was the day after a preseason match against chelsea
We were driving around downtown late the previous evening and i noticed some members of the team entering a hotel. I approached them and asked where the rest were, could i get pics etc (these were staff and junior players), they said to return in the morning
We did, the team bus was pulled up in front of the lobby and carlo ancelotti was smoking waiting on the players. I regret not taking a pic w him, but to be honest i was so intimidated by him, so completely in awe, theres no way i could have!
I got pics w many players of that legendary 2004 squad but i made sure to keep hold of the one w costacurta..i was really really in love w him and i still am haha

Lord Snow

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
Why is his nickname Billy? Always wondered why isn't it Alex or Sandro?

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
He started as a ‪‎Milan Youth‬ kid, he retired after winning everything, today he turns 49: happy birthday Costacurta!
10492417_10152762351146937_8317850416522303038_n.png

AsparagusFC

#hungry
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alan Shearer, Jon Dahl Tomasson
well, im partly agree with that list. especially djorkaeff who'll never given credit as much as zidane.

and i will put marcos senna into that list.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
What an insult to Billy, Hagi, Djorkaeff, Makelele, Dunga, Klose and Sammer to be in a list with that bunch of 3rd fiddle English players...

imagine english premier league without foreigners.. what u get??

Scotish/Irish premier league.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
well, im partly agree with that list. especially djorkaeff who'll never given credit as much as zidane.

and i will put marcos senna into that list.

you cant put djorkaeff and zidane on the same level.

and marcos senna have a good moment.. but wasnt underrated.

AsparagusFC

#hungry
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alan Shearer, Jon Dahl Tomasson
yeah i know. that list was rudiculous.

love the concept tho

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also agree Djorkaeff is underated. I think this list was the first time I read his name in years.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic

nice video

i like the ending vs bergkamp..his hair, w the goattee

like a movie star...but also perfect literally perfect centerback
i wish the video showed more of him on the ball, passing/etc

bacon d'or

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:thumbsup:
"Sacchi didn't even let us laugh"

Alessandro Costacurta (Varese, Italia; 1966) hang up his boots on may 2007. With 41 years and 663 games with Milan's shirt. There was only one game left. He asked the club to loan him San Siro to organize a farewell game with his best friends. "The butcher, the guy from the gas station, the one from management, the baker..., people that have grown with me and had never been to San Siro" explains the defender.

Q. What have you done in the past 3 years?
A. I've tried to be a coach. Now I'm working at Sky. I loved trainning, but my wife travels a lot, and I need to be with my son, Achille, 6 years old. Being on tv helps me out with that, being a coach not.
Q. Does time pass by faster now that you aren't playing?
A. It goes much more slower. I like it. A dear friend of mine, a phylosopher, says that there's nothing more beautiful than being bored. He is right. I've lived without having time for myself, and I've become a person that tries to get bored even if I can't do it.

Q. What did you look at your window when you were a kid?
A. I lived near Malpensa airport. I saw a football field. More than a football field it was a praire. We inveted the goal posts. That's where it all started.
Q. Were you always a defender?
A. The first time that I went to a real team I asked to be played as a sweeper. At 8, I thought a sweeper was the one that could play at any position: forward, midfielder, winger, defender...and no; in reality he was the last defender. I had asked for it already, so I had to deal with it, but early on I didn't like it at all.
Q. And you dealt with it till you were 41.
A. I was lucky that I never had any big injury. I talk alot with Paolo (Maldini): nothing had ever happened to our cruciate ligaments. Well it helps when you have a controlled life: not drinking much and not smoking.

Q. Who did you looked up as a kid?
A. Franco Baresi. All of the young defenders of Milan loved Franco. He debuted in the first team the year that I started in the younger teams. We all wanted to be Baresi because he was young, smart and tremendously good. And he got along amazingly well with all of the young kids. I always stayed watching him train.
Q. Did Tassotti, Baresi, Maldini and you hang out outside the field?
A. I went out and still do just with Maldini. Tassotti and Baresi in those days were married already and they were 7 years older. Paolo and I used to go out to flirt around in clubs, but they couldn't keep up with our rhythm.
Q. Who yell out the most?
A. Baresi. In reality, we prefered to yell during trainnings. With the automatisms we had, we didn't really need to talk.

Q. You work on that or is natural?
A. You work on it. There's no other way to achieve that than with trainnings.Sacchi believed a lot on that. In his first 5 months he had all four of us working one more hour.
Q. What did you do?
A. He placed the forwards and made us repeat time and time again the offside. He didn't stop. He insisted in protecting the ball, in double marking, and supporting the closest teamate.
Q. Was he a pain?
A. Yes. Specially at the begging. Just imagine players of the quality of Baresi and Maldini working in the tiniest detail day after day. It was a hard to understand situation for people of that quality. They were used to stop the rival with their strenght and talent. They didn't need anything more.Till we finally understood him...he was sooo right!
Q. How were the pre-match concentrations with him?
A. A pain. He demanded concetration since the day before. He didn't even wanted us to laugh during dinners. No kinds of noise.
Q. And with Capello?
A. He was more simple. He made us laugh. He wanted concentration, but till the minute we got to the stadium, we were able to laugh and joke around till we got to the dressing room door. You couldn't do that with Sacchi.
Q. Did you ever talk that with him?
A. Of course. He was completely convinced, and even if we didn't like it, looking at the results, he was right. With Sacchi and his rules we won playing pretty. With Capello we won, but maybe not in such a pretty way. It's complicated now to go and tell Sacchi "You were a nut and a pain banning laughing and joking around during meals". It's hard to criticize a winning idea.

Q. You had many different coaches. From outside, how do you see Mourinho and Guardiola?
A. I see Guardiola like a person that commands, in a very inteligent way, a team team that is built on a tradition. I met him, I like him, he is a nice guy, educated. If I have to choose between both, I go with him. But I realize that Guardiola is driving a car that was built by others. Mourinho, on the other hand, out of nowhere builts fantastic teams. His a born winner, more than Guardiola.

Q. Speaking of tradition, have Milan lost it?
A. Yes. With Maldini's good-bye we have lost that way of thinking. We were part of a group of italians that were born 20 years before. There was a way of thinking. There were certain ways of behaving that were an obligation, and you took care of them. Now with the brazilians, not so much. It's all a bit more simple.
Q. What you're talking about?
A. We had an schedule that we had to respect. If you were found at a club at 3 am, they took away your league bonus. I had to do it once. I took part of a teamate's bonus during the 1999-2000 season, when we won the league. I realized he had went partying.

Q. Why there's no more bandieras?
A. Maldini, Baresi and I were from Milan. It was easy staying in your city's club, even more so if it was the best team in the world. More than the colors, we felt the family. By family, I mean the club, the team, everything.
Q. Zanetti is not from Milan, he spend years without winning nothing, and decided to stay at Inter...is it possible nowadays?
A. Yes. It's not hard feeling the colors of a team. Many times its not up to the player. In my days, if you had a bad season, no one put you in the market. They supported you, you were given the right to improve. Now that bearly happens. Look at Ibrahimovic. I think he liked Barcelona. But when the coach says "you can leave"...well it's hard. I think things go too fast these days.

Q. Have you seen many the times the video of the 5-0 against Madrid?
A. Just a few times.
Q. How were Butragueño and Hugo Sánchez?
A. For me, they were the first forwards to play together. They were very close, one always ahead of the other. It's normal now, but they were the first ones to do it 20 years ago. It was hard to stop them.
Q. The forward that has drived you crazy?
A. Ronaldo when he arrived at Inter. I've never seen anyone like him.
Q. You've won 5 Champions...the most special one?
A. The first one, because there were 90 000 Milan fans at Nou Camp. The path from the hotel to the stadium is unforgettable. The final against Juve, on the other hand, I remember because of the tension.

Q. Where did your boots ended up?
A. Mine in the trash can. I used them till I couldn't. Kaka, for example, used to give them to charity.
Q. Does your kid likes football?
A. No way! When I pass him a ball, he grabs it with his hand and tries to score a basket. I believe he'll end up playing at the Barca basketball team.
Q. You collect art. Do you have many at your place?
A. Each time I won a title, I bought myself a painting. The last one was a Damien Hirst, a skull, valued at 30 000 euros.
Q. Any footballer you hated?
A. Materazzi and Hugo Sánchez. Sánchez did many things in the field that were unacceptable. He liked to provoke. He dived, insulted. I have never liked him.

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
nice video

i like the ending vs bergkamp..his hair, w the goattee

like a movie star...but also perfect literally perfect centerback
i wish the video showed more of him on the ball, passing/etc

Well it is a "Defense Skills Compilation"

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
When discussing our article on World Cup block-numbering with our friend Jay from Design Football, he mentioned that Paolo Maldini was listed as number 5 for AC Milan in the FIFA 96 simulation, as he had worn for Italy at the 1994 World Cup.

It required further examination. The game used 1994-95 squads and, as squad numbers wouldn’t come into force in Italy until 95-96, Milan’s numbers took their cues from Italy’s USA ’94 ones. Franco Baresi was in his usual 6 – he was allowed to buck the alphabetical trend in ’94 – with Alessandro Costacurta 4, Maldini 5 and Demetrio Albertini 11 when their normal club numbers were 5, 3 and 4 respectively.

Costacurta was Baresi’s long-time central defensive partner and wore 5 for the club in European Cup/Champions League finals in 1989, ’90, ’93, and ’95 (he was suspended for the ’94 final along with Baresi and Maldini actually wore 6). However, when Milan issued their numbers at the start of 95-96, he was allocated 29 with Filippo Galli, a career reserve, wearing 5. He wasn’t the only first-teamer with a high number – Zvonimir Boban was 20, Mauro Tassotti 21 and Marco Simone 23 – but, to our minds anyway, 29 seemed incongrouous. After all, it’s in the ‘third’ 11.

Things got stranger the following season. Galli moved on to Reggiana and 5 was free but when Costacurta switched numbers it was to 11, which had been worn by Roberto Donadoni for a part of 95-96. Costacurta did finally move to 5 for 97-98 and kept it until the end of 2001-02, when he announced he would leave the club.

He did – but only for a short time as defensive shortage prompted the club to re-hire him. In the interim, though, Fernando Redondo had taken advantage of 5 lying vacant. When he signed from Real Madrid in 2000, he wore 16 and then, having missed most of his first season, he moved to 30. While he wore 6 for Real Madrid, he always carried 5 for Argentina and took it for Milan too for 2002-03, leaving Costacurta to have to be content with 19 when he returned.

Injury dogged Redondo’s time with the club (he refused to accept a salary while out and tried to return the house and car which the club have given him) and he left at the end of 2003-04, allowing Costacurta to don 5 once more. He would keep it until his retirement, as a European champion once more, at the end of 2006-07.

Why did he choose, or why was he given 29 and then 11 before returning to 5? Sadly, we haven’t been able to find out, maybe you can help us?

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Nesta maldini costa. Jesus christ.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
He should really come on aboard in our management.
We need someone with his personality since Boban left.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
He should really come on aboard in our management.
We need someone with his personality since Boban left.

Absolutely. He'd be a perfect fit.

Make it happen Paolo!

BreadPitt

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomori, Nesta, Maldini,Tassotti, Silva, Seedorf, Baresi, Totti, *Abate*,

Last edited: