Gli Azzurri - La Nazionale, Italy National Football Team

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
Italy will qualify for Euro2020 if they beat Greece next month.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
qualifying is easy, but this team is too raw to actually achieve something

but maybe it’s what they needed now

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Which team isn't raw for 2020? Netherlands, Spain, Germany are all reinventing and kicking off new projects. France are the clear favourites, and everyone else has an outside chance.

I thought the Finland match was quite well played. Italy gave it away a little in the 2nd half, but the 1st half was very well done. I'm glad that Mancini opened up to the possibility of playing Sensi and Verratti together against certain opposition, because it would be a shame to bench either at this stage.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
I'm glad that Mancini opened up to the possibility of playing Sensi and Verratti together against certain opposition, because it would be a shame to bench either at this stage.

Benching Sensi is a good decision for Mancini and the Italian NT. Not necessarily that he is a bad player, but Verratti and Sensi are practically the same players, as they got the same charateristics. Jorginho, on the other hand, is unique. Absolutely fantastic midfielder, no one in the world can do what he does. I love seeing him in the regista role for Italy. Watching him makes me think that Mancini would rather have a midfield trio who is techincally gifted and would be able to dominate possesion + someone who can pop up with a goal, which they're currently lacking.

Anyway, if you start a midfield of Sensi - Jorginho - Verratti, there's no goals from the midfield nor an 'X factor player' in the final third. I think Jorginho could be the only one who can be considered somewhat of an 'X factor player', although he is far away from the final third ...so yes, Italy clearly lack that final third player.

If i were Mancini, i would go for a Verratti - Jorginho - Pellegrini midfield.

Bonaventura have the same charateristics as Pellegrini, so i wouldn't count that option out. Zaniolo as CM would be another option, but he does not look ready. Not even for the U21 side.

I would like to include Barella, but i think he's in the same boat as Sensi and Verratti. Barella may develop into something more of a 10 player, someone who attacks more, but i don't see it happening any time soon, especially not under someone like Conte.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Mancini's first choice midfield is Verratti-Jorginho-Barella. All 3 provide something different, and I think it's a great combination. They've already shown their balance together over the last year.

Sensi presents a good problem because he has broken through over the last 6-8 months, and was very good every time he got a chance in the Italy midfield (Finland first half was exceptional). So I'm happy to hear Mancini say that he would be willing to try Sensi and Verratti together (even though they are similar players) against certain opposition where their characteristics would work together. And in case one of the main 3 guys gets suspended or injured, Sensi will slot in seamlessly.

Pellegrini is a player I don't particularly like. Managers love such players because you can stick them in a hundred position and they'll put in a lot of hustle. He's the new Perrotta.

These 5 in any case will be the core midfielders for the Euro, unless we get someone breaking through in the next 8 months.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Castrovilli from Fiorentina could break through and get a place in Italy’s squad ahead of the Euro's. Who do you think?

Maybe Zaniolo if he has matured by that time, too.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zaniolo should be part of the squad but more for the attacking 3 positions. Castrovilli has never been involved in the nazionale setup, will be quite some feat for him to break through.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Renaissance kit out. I'm absolutely going to buy this.

20ss_pr_figc_q5_renaissance-group_0203_2160x2700.jpg

italy-green-web.jpg

https://www.football-italia.net/144999/italy-unveil-new-green-kit

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Some decent players coming through but I am not too confident in their abilities. None particularly have that match winning factor. Zaniolo can be that player but he is still raw.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Italy (4-3-3): Gianluigi Donnarumma; Danilo D’Ambrosio, Leonardo Bonucci, Francesco Acerbi, Leonardo Spinazzola; Nicolo Barella, Jorginho, Marco Verratti; Federico Chiesa, Ciro Immobile, Lorenzo Insigne.

at least one milan players is on the field

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Jorginho penalties are fun to watch.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Qualification done! Mancini has been impeccable. Bravo.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
That kit is dope!

Italy have a pretty good and interesting squad, but I feel like they're missing a WC forward, who can get you out of trouble when the team is in a slum. Immobile and Belotti are not talented or consistent enough imho.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
That kit is dope!

Italy have a pretty good and interesting squad, but I feel like they're missing a WC forward, who can get you out of trouble when the team is in a slum. Immobile and Belotti are not talented or consistent enough imho.

Bring back Balotelli :proud:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Leonardo Bonucci explains how Italy’s “first form of defence is attack”
:lol::lol: Since when?

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
GK
Donnarumma
Cragno
Meret
Gollini
Silvestri
Sirigu

CB
Chiellini
Bonucci
Acerbi
Bastoni
Mancini
Romagnoli
Toloi
G.M. Ferrari

RB
Florenzi
M. Lazzarri
Di Lorenzo
Calabria

RB & LB
Darmian
Zappacosta
D'Ambrosio

LB
Emerson
Spinazzola
Lu. Pellegrini
Dimarco
Biraghi

CM
Verratti
Jorginho
Barella
Lo. Pellegrini
Locatelli
Sensi
Gagliardini
Pessina
Cristante

RW
Chiesa
Bernardeschi
Berardi
Politano
Orsolini

LW
Insigne
El Shaarawy
Grifo

CF
Immobile
Belotti
Petagna
Kean
Scamacca
Caputo

This should be a good year for Italy

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This is it I think

----- Insigne - Immobile - Chiesa
----- Verratti - Jorginho - Barella
Emerson - Chiellini - Bonucci - Florenzi
-------------- Donnarumma

-- Bernardeschi - Belotti - Berardi
------ Pellegrini - Sensi - Locatelli
Spinazzola - Acerbi - Bastoni - Di Lorenzo/Lazzari
------------------- Meret

Sirigu - Toloi/Mancini- Cristante/Pessina - Kean

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Any chance for eng subs for the docu series on Rai?

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Nope (haven't digged yet too, truthfully)

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
That doc is incredible. Watched every episode pretty much, including the episodes leading up to the tournament. If you guys do find it somewhere please post here. Haven’t been able to myself.

It is on RAI’s website, but for those of you looking for subtitles, there are none.

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah, Rai web and app but geoblocked here

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Calabria and Tonali called up to the Italy squad.