European Super League

Should AC Milan join the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
OFFICIAL: LEADING EUROPEAN FOOTBALL CLUBS ANNOUNCE NEW SUPER LEAGUE COMPETITION
https://www.acmilan.com/en/news/art...l-clubs-announce-new-super-league-competition

CLUB
19 April 2021

LEADING EUROPEAN FOOTBALL CLUBS ANNOUNCE NEW SUPER LEAGUE COMPETITION

Twelve of Europe's leading football clubs have today come together to announce they have agreed to establish a new mid-week competition, the Super League, governed by its Founding Clubs
AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Atl?tico de Madrid, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, FC Internazionale Milano, Juventus FC, Liverpool FC, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid CF and Tottenham Hotspur have all joined as Founding Clubs. It is anticipated that a further three clubs will join ahead of the inaugural season, which is intended to commence as soon as practicable.

Going forward, the Founding Clubs look forward to holding discussions with UEFA and FIFA to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new League and for football as a whole.

The formation of the Super League comes at a time when the global pandemic has accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model. Further, for a number of years, the Founding Clubs have had the objective of improving the quality and intensity of existing European competitions throughout each season, and of creating a format for top clubs and players to compete on a regular basis.

The pandemic has shown that a strategic vision and a sustainable commercial approach are required to enhance value and support for the benefit of the entire European football pyramid. In recent months extensive dialogue has taken place with football stakeholders regarding the future format of European competitions. The Founding Clubs believe the solutions proposed following these talks do not solve fundamental issues, including the need to provide higher-quality matches and additional financial resources for the overall football pyramid.

Competition Format

20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.

Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.

An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.

As soon as practicable after the start of the men's competition, a corresponding women’s league will also be launched, helping to advance and develop the women's game.

The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues. These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10 billion during the course of the initial commitment period of the Clubs. In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

Florentino P?rez, President of Real Madrid CF and the first Chairman of the Super League said:

"We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires."

Backing the new European league, Andrea Agnelli, Chairman of Juventus and Vice-Chairman of the Super League said:

"Our 12 Founder clubs represent billions of fans across the globe and 99 European trophies. We have come together at this critical moment, enabling European competition to be transformed, putting the game we love on a sustainable footing for the long-term future, substantially increasing solidarity, and giving fans and amateur players a regular flow of headline fixtures that will feed their passion for the game while providing them with engaging role models."

Joel Glazer, Co-Chairman of Manchester United and Vice-Chairman of the Super League said:

"By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid."

Last edited:

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
good for the club. let's make it happen

I'm sure you'll change your tune when we're midtable year after year playing for literally nothing all year.

Giant waste of time, also the special occasion of playing a big team is gone.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Obviously won't happen. This has been an idea for several years, and for every time we read there's some progress, UEFA/FIFA clamp down on the whole thing.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll change your tune when we're midtable year after year playing for literally nothing all year.

no, we won't be. We'll be able to win it. We'll be able to poach players from other clubs outside of the 12th clubs.

FFP has been really bad for us. UEFA has been corrupt.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
It will start in August 2021. Great.... I look forward to watching the first match.

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Interesting and not surprising that people here are for it, the previous big boys got lazy and lost their footing to the likes of Atalanta but now something comes along and says you can be back amongst the big boys without the effort? Based on purely the size of your stadium and fanbase? Ideal.

It's an absolute destruction of what football has always been, change your club name to the Milan Wildcats or something equally shite and become a franchise.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I speak only my own worthless opinion here. I'm absolutely against that move to the point that this is a deal breaker for me.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
I speak only my own worthless opinion here. I'm absolutely against that move to the point that this is a deal breaker for me.

I am not passionate one way or another

But...

What deal does this break for you, Sven?

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
Interesting and not surprising that people here are for it, the previous big boys got lazy and lost their footing to the likes of Atalanta but now something comes along and says you can be back amongst the big boys without the effort? Based on purely the size of your stadium and fanbase? Ideal.

It's an absolute destruction of what football has always been, change your club name to the Milan Wildcats or something equally shite and become a franchise.

A bit of history..... back when Glazer bought Manchester United on a leveraged buy out.... yes.. .it was leverage buy out... basically Glazer borrowed a lot of money to buy Manchester United after that dump the debt on Manchester United's books. So Glazer basically bought Manchester United for free.... Manchester United's fans were really outraged.. Some of them set up a separate club..... fast forward now.... do you know what the club that was set up? Do you hear it?? People keep watching Manchester United owned by the Glazer.

moral of the story: these people who complain will keep watching these Super League matches.... just get on with it people. You all are powerless. The same thing applies to me. I am powerless. I can only watch. I can only be thankful that AC Milan is one of the Founding club. We need it to stay relevant. All these complaints are just temporary noise.. like f*rt.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not passionate one way or another

But...

What deal does this break for you, Sven?

I mean don't think I'll be watching a league of this kind.

A bit of history..... back when Glazer bought Manchester United on a leveraged buy out.... yes.. .it was leverage buy out... basically Glazer borrowed a lot of money to buy Manchester United after that dump the debt on Manchester United's books. So Glazer basically bought Manchester United for free.... Manchester United's fans were really outraged.. Some of them set up a separate club..... fast forward now.... do you know what the club that was set up? Do you hear it?? People keep watching Manchester United owned by the Glazer.

moral of the story: these people who complain will keep watching these Super League matches.... just get on with it people. You all are powerless. The same thing applies to me. I am powerless. I can only watch. I can only be thankful that AC Milan is one of the Founding club. We need it to stay relevant. All these complaints are just temporary noise.. like f*rt.

People who set up the United of Manchester never made it expecting to be bigger club than Manchester or something... Way to miss the point.

They didn't like the way it was managed and wanted a more community-oriented and democratic club. Which they did and are still doing nowadays.

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
This is the elite hijacking club football. Everything that was great about it goes to shit with this.

All the smaller clubs and their fans got stomped over.

ToonInvader

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi
Sad thing is, this is a (patho)logical accomplishement of what's been going on for years: football business. I don't really buy into the "you're destroying the passion" as if you could neatly separate the business from the passion in the football industry.

What I fear the most is to see Lady Gaga on teli sliding down a rope from a helicopter hovering above San Siro.

I will certainly not watch that Super League shite but the virtue-signaling that's going on right now on social media won't do it for me either.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Hope this goes aways after the first year, I won?t watch this shite.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score

Midtable? Only Arsenal has a worse squad than Milan. Get ready to be the bitch of this shit show

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Midtable? Only Arsenal has a worse squad than Milan. Get ready to be the bitch of this shit show

I don't think a "Super League" in this format will actually happen, but if it did, Milan would probably see the biggest revenue growth out of those 12 clubs - and become far more attractive to the top, top players that are currently not in a Super League club.
Why would we become the permanent punching bags of this competition?
I'd say we have a more competent management than Barca's, Atletico's and Manure's.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
This Frankenstein will destroy national leagues and will for sure put a end in national cups.

Only money factorys like Psg and Man City will deal with this well. They dont care about Europe anyway.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Much better concept imo-

Keep the 12 teams, and set up a summer tournament in non WC or Euro years.

Randomly place the teams in two groups, 6 each.

One group plays their games in the United States, the other in China.

You play every team in your group once, top two teams in each group advance to a semi.

Top team in the US based group plays the 2nd place Chinese based team, and vice versa.

Two winning teams play in Dubai or somewhere glamorous like that.

Structure the money so that players make big bonuses based on winning games to drive the stakes up.

Would bring in a ton of money and not destroy the existing structures.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Much better concept imo-

Keep the 12 teams, and set up a summer tournament in non WC or Euro years.

Randomly place the teams in two groups, 6 each.

One group plays their games in the United States, the other in China.

You play every team in your group once, top two teams in each group advance to a semi.

Top team in the US based group plays the 2nd place Chinese based team, and vice versa.

Two winning teams play in Dubai or somewhere glamorous like that.

Structure the money so that players make big bonuses based on winning games to drive the stakes up.

Would bring in a ton of money and not destroy the existing structures.

Sounds like International Champions Cup, Audi Cup or some other preseason friendly tournament.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score

No. We will be a protagonist.

Do you think Inter Juve and other clubs beat us easily?????

Give me a break... what you sell your club short.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
No. We will be a protagonist.

Do you think Inter Juve and other clubs beat us easily?????

Give me a break... what you sell your club short.

Where have you been for the past 10 years?

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
Where have you been for the past 10 years?

I am here all the time. The past 10 years we have been bad. This year we are one if the protagonists. Time has changed.

Where do you live??? Do you live in the past or future?
With a few more players we can compete.

Riffstein

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I?m all for it. Just on the condition that they sort this players ban problem.

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A very sad day for football indeed. But the truth is I don’t think UEFA can do anything about it. The richest teams in the world are together and I’m sure all those investors already thought about lawsuits and hiring the best lawyers out there

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
This tournament will much likely sub the World Cup in the decades to come, otherwise will destroy european football as we know it.

Schedule