Alessandro Costacurta Thread

costacurta5

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Costacurta, Leonardo, Ambrosini, Brocchi
He seems to be doing well. I watched him in CL last season, and defended well. Did he not retire four years ago, but was called back after the victory against slovan liberec? He will have done 5 more seasons after this season!
Leonardo was also called back that year, with less sucses, although I did ok... we could have needed him more the season he was away, because then Rui was injured and there was no Rivaldo...

Billy was also a lot better at passing the ball forward than Nesta, he did more mistakes when I saw him. Seemed very nervous when passing the ball.

I hope maldini will get in good shape too... Serginio did not impress me, and hes 36 I think! We need him on left back, or in center.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini and Pirlo
Congrats Billy

Congrats to Billy and His Family!

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Billy you fuckin' SK!
The last year of the Old Guard. Played good against Red Star and if we triumph next year in May it's down to his Captaincy during this difficult period with so many defenders goneskies.

jigaromilan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaladze - Shevchenko - Kaka - Nesta - Maldini
he keeps impressing me by impressing milan, what does milan see in him that he takes up the space on roster? i mean we did let albertini go after all eh? its surely not the experience, cause we have maldini cafu even kala and nesta in the back, so what the hell is it. we should have never gotten favalli, thats another empty space on roster so there you go at least buy 2 defenders with half of shevas money. damn it.

ForzaACMilan

Beginner
Reaction score
BOOTS STILL FIT FOR BILLY
9/6/2006 8:08:00 PM
Billy Costacurta is knocking down the numbers of minutes played and we are only in the first week of September. He has played almost 500 of them so far but it’s the big kick-off that the popular defender is looking forward to. Speaking to Milan Channel ahead of the season opener, Billy said: ’Finally, we are ready to start again although, in truth, we have already played an preliminary round.’ Moving on to new arrival Ricardo Oliveira, he added: ’He is an excellent player, I followed his progress at Betis and before that in the Copa Libertadores. I don’t really know him but my Brazilian team-mates speak highly of him. The other day he tried a few tricks in training that I usually do. I am kidding. I told to wear shinguards the next time ...’ Between the friendly with Varese in midweek and Sunday’s league match at home to Lazio, the 40 year old maintained the team was in good shape and said: ’The preliminary round got us fit. Lazio are a physical side who will look to make use of that. It is going to be tricky. They have signed Foggia and Makinwa while the midfield has been reinforced with Ledesma’s arrival.’ Speaking of midfield, Billy has had a few run-outs there during the summer: ’I like playing there in friendlies, I might get a game there as we have a lot of defenders. Well, as an experiment, it is something I enjoy.’

http://www.acmilan.com/index.aspx

Forza Billy! I love his sense of humour.

Considering his age, he has played a lot in the preasons, 180 minutes against red star, both legs fulltime, which is amazing. It would be exciting to see him play as a midfeilder!!!

Here are his preseason stats from this season:

BILLY KEEPS ROLLING ON
9/6/2006 6:20:00 PM
SEASON 2006-2007

MINUTES PLAYED

FRIENDLIES (Lecco, Deportivo La Coruna, Inter/Juve, Varese): 300

OFFICIAL MATACHES (Red Star first and second legs): 180

TOTAL MINUTES PLAYED (also as a midfielder) SO FAR: 480

http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=29014

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino
In fact, i feel very sad that i see Billy play in the field... He is 40 years old, at his age, most players are becoming coach or assist coach or teams' scout and small managers... But he is still playing for Milan... We can say he is a great player + his performance is not too bad... But why he is still in Milan ?? Because we didn't have enough good defenders or we didn't develop or try to use some younger defenders...
Sorry to all the mates who love Billy ( In fact, me too ), but i hope he can retire as soon as possible and then become an assistant coach or scout or small manager in Milan.

MilanFan009

A.P.7.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta, Pato, Buffon
yes ur rite but when a player is old + in shape + loves soccer = u cant get them retire, they love this game to much to leave it, like paolo for instance.

FORZA BILLY!!!

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Finally. The old fart should have called it quits 5 years ago.

Calcio: a fine l'addio di Costacurta

TREVISO - A fine anno Alessandro Costacurta lascera' il calcio. L'annuncio lo ha dato lo stesso giocatore del Milan alla Ghirada-Citta' dello Sport di Treviso, dicendo che ''questo sara' sicuramente il mio ultimo anno da giocatore, fra cinque mesi smetto definitivamente con il calcio''.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Passion for *9* said:

TREVISO - A fine anno Alessandro Costacurta lascera' il calcio. L'annuncio lo ha dato lo stesso giocatore del Milan alla Ghirada-Citta' dello Sport di Treviso, dicendo che ''questo sara' sicuramente il mio ultimo anno da giocatore, fra cinque mesi smetto definitivamente con il calcio''.

thank god. looks like he wasnt too happy with his performance last night either. lets hope the others in the dressing room take his clue.

milanissimo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van basten, pirlo, nesta, kaka`
Passion for *9* said:

galliani will convince him to stay for another couple of years,you`ll see

pussycat_doll

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Sheva, Maldini, Henry, Raul, Sergio Ramos
milanissimo said:
galliani will convince him to stay for another couple of years,you`ll see

if that happens i hope u die=))

just kidding,yey finaly now maybe the rest of the old corpses will fallow him.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Gee, I wonder if his horror show yesterday played any sort of role in his decision.

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
It was about time.. I would prefer to quit football in the best days.. not in the worst..

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Finally, now I'm hoping Serginho and Cafu take a hint and leave also. Maldini still maybe has one decent season left in him but only if its as the role Costacurta played this season. I hope he retires this season as well but then takes on another role at the club.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
I feel for the bloke. He's of the best defenders ever and had a terrible day agianst Roma that probably influenced this decision. I hope he returns to the Milan bench one day or atleast remains within the squad and helps the younger players or new aquisitions to integrate within the squad.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
San Paolo said:
I feel for the bloke.
I'll agree with you on that one sentence. I mean, EVERYBODY has an absolutely horrible game one day or another. Shame the old man let this one get to him (That is, IF it affected his decision).

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Its good we have conscientious footballers still around. He was a great figure of the past, but I'll write his farewell when he actually hangs up. For now, thank you Billy :)

ARNOLD RIMMER

Second Technician
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, DeSciglio
Noo. Say what you like about him, he's given great service to our team for many years, and i will miss him very much when he retires.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
I feel for the bloke. He's of the best defenders ever and had a terrible day agianst Roma that probably influenced this decision. I hope he returns to the Milan bench one day or atleast remains within the squad and helps the younger players or new aquisitions to integrate within the squad.

Didn't know he's a popular member (figure) in the squad. Always thought he kept to himself ... you know, the quite type.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
madtherchot said:
Didn't know he's a popular member (figure) in the squad. Always thought he kept to himself ... you know, the quite type.
The other members look up to him and Paolo... they set the bench mark and have for many seasons. That's why I'm trying to stress that old experience blokes within a squad are beneficial other than having a team full of young players. Their knowledge and experience rubs off amongst the other members, particially Billy and Maldini who are Milan Symbols.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
The other members look up to him and Paolo... they set the bench mark and have for many seasons. That's why I'm trying to stress that old experience blokes within a squad are beneficial other than having a team full of young players. Their knowledge and experience rubs off amongst the other members, particially Billy and Maldini who are Milan Symbols.
The only things that have really rubbed off are... their increasing slowness, inclination to make blunders + love of contract extensions :o

It's not like the rest of our squad consists of spring chickens who need motherly guidance all the time. All the 30somethings + soon-to-be 30s will cope just fine without ole Billy's apron strings, trust me.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
San Paolo said:

True, to a certain extent. And at 40, unfortunately billy is WAY past that. His experience is useful, but and it can stay useful if he gets some other role on the team, not defender.
Im glad hes retiring - hes given us 16-17 seasons of good, and he shouldnt ruin his memory with games like yesterdays.
Whihc is why I hope maldini retires this season as well. He may be able to play on for now, but Id rather he quit while he is still decent, than get laughed at and mocked by everyone next year if he makes costacurta-eqsue mistakes.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
Costacurta certainly merits homage for his illustrious Milan career. The problem is, his career would have been better served to end at least 1, preferably 2 years ago. His performance vs. Roma in the Coppa was indicative of someone over 40 years old. At that age, even a superb mental understanding of the game is tough to leverage as an advantage.

Fiore

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R. Baggio
Billy sets quit date

Alessandro Costacurta has confirmed he will retire in the summer, but his fellow Milan team-mate Paolo Maldini is intending to play on.

The pair have been mainstays of the Milan defence for the best part of 20 years and are still performing at the highest level.

Costacurta has made just five appearances this term and the 40-year-old feels the time has come to switch his focus towards management.

"I can officially say that within five months I'll stop playing football," said Costacurta.

"In the past I've said I would have liked to become a coach, but for next two or three years I'd like to grow under the management."

Despite being plagued by a niggling knee injury, Maldini has made 16 starts this term and he is not yet ready to hang up his boots.

"I'm happy with how things are going," Maldini told Gazzetta dello Sport. "My physical conditions were the main problem.

"The situation is this: inside me, I want to continue. I still like playing, training, working and I am in good condition.

"My wife pushes me to continue and I'm convincing myself about this."

Maldini's present deal expires in the summer, but the 38-year-old does not envisage a problem over agreeing fresh terms.

"My deal expires in the summer, but the signing has never been a problem."

www.planetfootball.com

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Fiore said:
Alessandro Costacurta has confirmed he will retire in the summer, but his fellow Milan team-mate Paolo Maldini is intending to play on.

The pair have been mainstays of the Milan defence for the best part of 20 years and are still performing at the highest level.

Costacurta has made just five appearances this term and the 40-year-old feels the time has come to switch his focus towards management.

"I can officially say that within five months I'll stop playing football," said Costacurta.

"In the past I've said I would have liked to become a coach, but for next two or three years I'd like to grow under the management."

Despite being plagued by a niggling knee injury, Maldini has made 16 starts this term and he is not yet ready to hang up his boots.

"I'm happy with how things are going," Maldini told Gazzetta dello Sport. "My physical conditions were the main problem.

"The situation is this: inside me, I want to continue. I still like playing, training, working and I am in good condition.

Maldini's present deal expires in the summer, but the 38-year-old does not envisage a problem over agreeing fresh terms.

www.planetfootball.com

Sigh...I'd perfer to see him retire at the top and with some pride left rather than take the road Costacurta has. Looks like renewal and rejuvenation will once again be replaced by recycling next season.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fiore said:

www.planetfootball.com

oh god....
doesnt anybody want to retire at the top of their game any more?!!?!?!?
look at chumacher, zidane - im sure both could have played on for atleast one more season, but they chose to stop when the crask were just beginning to appear. well with zidane there werent even any cracks, but still.
fuck
legend and all is ok, but basic intelligence calles for maldini to retire this season

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
Fiore said:
This totally reminds me of Cap. Roonie's wife in "Any given sunday", a film by Oliver Stone. :)

PatoKaka

eLdiablo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Seedorf, Pato, Sneijder,Danny Alves, J.Moutinho, Berbatov, Aguero, Nesta
im kinda happy he is going out cuz now he sux alot..
+ if he goes out well buy a new defender to replace him or grimi can do that

Schedule