Group D: COSTA RICA, URUGUAY, ENGLAND, ITALY

Which 2 teams will advance out of Group D?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
whatever :o. for me UCl > WC.

agsgualdino

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
world cup > champions league

champions league is easier because

1. in the knock out rounds the tie is settled over 180 minutes and not just 90!
2. the space between games is larger
3. the squad available to the manager is more flexible
4. manager has the luxury of resting players a whole week before a match if need be.
5. ability to play home legs in front of your own fans in your own country.
6. if you fuck up in winning it you always have next year.

world cup

1. settled over 90 minutes and is not a two legged tie
2. space betwen games is minimal
3. squad is set at 23 and thats it
4. manager has to carefully use his players to avoid fatigue
5. if you fuck up it could be your last chance to lift the trophy as it comes round every 4 yrs.
6. pressure is amplified. legit THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING

world cup over champions league any day of the week

Night Prowler

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
El Shaarawy, Balotelli
Probable XI vs. #ENG (4-1-3-1-1): Buffon; Darmian-Barzagli-Chiellini-De Sciglio; De Rossi; Verratti-Pirlo-Marchisio; Candreva; Balotelli.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Probable XI vs. #ENG (4-1-3-1-1): Buffon; Darmian-Barzagli-Chiellini-De Sciglio; De Rossi; Verratti-Pirlo-Marchisio; Candreva; Balotelli.

Cassano for Candreva is what I think

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
whatever :o. for me UCl > WC.

Whilst that's your opinion you're definitely wrong.

It's every 4 years and is a one game knockout where the best players can't just assemble to whoever is paying them the most and win like the top teams have done for the last 20 years. You work with whatever you are given which has its benefits and its draw backs. (Like Ibra never getting anywhere in a major tournament and the chances of Ronaldo winning anything being very slim)

It's better because players (for the most part) aren't just playing because it's their job. Watch Ghana - Uruguay from 2010 and tell me it's the same.

You can argue that the football is better - it is for the most part but the world cup is different. They're incomparable. The champions league can be pretty much bought.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
in the world cup there are so many countries I look up to
with every 4 year a total different story

in the CL it's kinda always the same, and always the same teams

wc > cl

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez

-----------------BALOTELLI-------------------------
-------------------------CANDREVA--------------------
--MARCHISIO-----PIRLO-------VERRATTI---------
-----------------DE ROSSI---------------------
-DARMIAN--------------------------DE SCIGLIO-----
----------CHIELLINI------BARZAGLI----------------------
-------------------BUFFON--------------------

Odd but we will see if it's true.

2006 we often played a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1, and I think we may see more of Insigne and less of Verratti by the end of this tournament.

De Rossi is more than capable of playing as LCM.. as I thought he was excellent as a B2B.

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
The WC is harder simply cause its played every 4 years so your chances at winning it, as opposed to winning the CL are diminished, basically if you're a top player, you'll have 3, with luck 4 tournaments to win it. CL you have an every year opportunity.

Both are restricted to a very minimal number of teams to win, but one involves stricking luck of having around 8 top players, and 5 good players in one generation ...and all those players have to reach top form in 7 games in one month and play as a unit after 3 weeks of camp, in which your margin of error is minimal (hell drawing one game in the group stages can cause you chaos), there's less recovery time.

The other one, the core of the team that can win will have likely been together for 2+ years, the team was able to add a few good players in the summer to improve, you can draw a couple of games and it wont be a drama, you can lose a match in knock out stages and still pass the next round. Sometimes teams likely to win dont even show their best till March and you have, at the very least, 1 week to prepare your next CL match (which only happens during semfinals, any other moment you play its 2 weeks at least), and 3 weeks to prepare the final.

If you're a top player, you're way more likely to end up winning the CL, because one of those teams will buy you. In a WC you have to accept the quality of your teamates from the country you play for.

And Im no big fan of this type of comparissons cause international football and club football are two different animals, but looking it purely on difficulty...just the every 4 years vs every year is enough.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't see the point on discussing what is harder.

What is obvious is that World Cup is a much bigger and more important event in every aspect.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

It's every 4 years and is a one game knockout where the best players can't just assemble to whoever is paying them the most and win like the top teams have done for the last 20 years. You work with whatever you are given which has its benefits and its draw backs. (Like Ibra never getting anywhere in a major tournament and the chances of Ronaldo winning anything being very slim)

It's better because players (for the most part) aren't just playing because it's their job. Watch Ghana - Uruguay from 2010 and tell me it's the same.

You can argue that the football is better - it is for the most part but the world cup is different. They're incomparable. The champions league can be pretty much bought.

this.

also, if your country has ever been in a legit elimination game, emotions and tension are incomparable.

see: england v. argentina 1998 or ask americans how they felt v. algeria or ghana last year.

That's the fun of it.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
WC > The Olympics :o

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Poli, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Pippo, Buffon, Pirlo, D.Lopez, Verratti, Gattuso, De Rossi, Darmian.
I genuinely felt ill after Ghana lost against Uruguay as they were the team I was rooting for after Italy crashed out. The circumstances behind them going out made it far worse - they were cheated out of it.

Dsav

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

:thumbsup: Well said

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That Ghana x Uruguay is the most memorable match I've seem in my life. And I doubt I'll see better in the future.

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
WC is most prestegious prize a player can win. Literally the whole world watches the world cup, every game is a mondial event let alone the final. So many great players have never won a WC. Hell world class players like Bale and Ibra won't even get to participate. If you win it you write history that will be relevant in football history forever, you bring joy to an entire nation/continent and you've put your nation on the map as the best of the fucking world for 4 years. You don't get to pick and buy players you like, you do it with what you've got. The best of the bunch is out there, representing their folk.

Also you live up to a WC for 4 years but if you don't peak at the exact right time, are unfortunate with drawing, or flop one match you're chance is gone and you might never get one again.

WC atmosphere is CL amplified by 10.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
well obviously it's Swagger against the rest of the world :D

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Well for me i wouldnt give it my all if i am not paid. Representing your country is great but if there is no bonus/incentive for playing or if i am not give any contractual payments then i wont try as hard as i normally would when i play for club.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
How do u know players arent playing for money in the wc? U asked them all personally lol. I dont think all of them will give their best shot tbh.

Last edited:

Randomername

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibracadabra Drake
I really wouldn't be surprised to see italy go all the way if they can place at the top of the group. I'm confident they can beat spain and with any luck brazil aswell

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every footballer will tell you he dream about playing a World Cup

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
@swagger

No offense meant, but sometimes you say like the most stupid things

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

thats what i was implying.

Reaction score
Its probably fair to say the quality of football in the UCL is better, the bigger teams in it could probably beat most national teams. However, the world cup is different though.

There's just so much more passion and intensity about it, literally the whole world comes together to watch it. Everyone dreams about playing for their country, you can see it in the players when they play and it resonates with the fans that watch it. I guess when a team loses it can be easy to say 'there's always next year', same can't be said about the world cup.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Its probably fair to say the quality of football in the UCL is better, the bigger teams in it could probably beat most national teams. However, the world cup is different though.

There's just so much more passion and intensity about it, literally the whole world comes together to watch it. Everyone dreams about playing for their country, you can see it in the players when they play and it resonates with the fans that watch it. I guess when a team loses it can be easy to say 'there's always next year', same can't be said about the world cup.

agreed :thumbsup:. well said.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
quality of football in WC > quality of football in CL

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lol debatable but ok.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
there are more stronger and interesting nations then club teams

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
But lot of the big teams in ucl have the top stars from the elite footballing nations.

Schedule