Marco Giampaolo Thread

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Thankyou for bringing the diamond back.

Losing the will to live to watch 4-3-3 with two wingers cutting inside. rinse.repeat. Every team in the world fucking uses it.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
deal with it
68849227_10156366846071937_2739076570814611456_n.jpg

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Uomo di Boglioli

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Being the Milan coach must be the toughest job in the world. Even more than a mortician.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
He said he hadnt talked to Gattuso yet... better hurry up and do so because the pressure just went through the roof.

I hope we can bring in two impactful transfers and I hope trust goes both ways - players trusting the coach and the coach trusting his more talented players to make plays.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I honestly can't understand how he managed to make the attack loose worse, than under Gattuso.

Just wow, i was all for trusting the coach but Jesus this game was simply the worst we looked under any coach so far in the last 10 years. Allegri is available in case he keeps this shit up in the next 5 games.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
I honestly can't understand how he managed to make the attack loose worse, than under Gattuso.

Just wow, i was all for trusting the coach but Jesus this game was simply the worst we looked under any coach so far in the last 10 years. Allegri is available in case he keeps this shit up in the next 5 games.

Allegri is not the man to return to a team in the middle of a season. Nor does he suit our project.

Let's rather say Donadoni :o

Rossoneri97

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka

Mourinho is also available.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
WHAT WAS THAT MR???
The stubbornness is what got montella sacked. I really dislike italian coaches for over complicating things.

How can he expect his players to master the system if they don’t even play official matches together.

If we tried our best and lost the match I would have understood it.. but knowing that we could do so much better with the players on the bench is what irritates me the most.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This fucking guy is the only manager in the world that needs 2 years of training to prepare a team to his ideal tactics.

I hate to say it but this is typical of italians over analizing and over complicating things. Hes so arrogant to think he has discovered some sort of tiki taka masterstroke and the only reason we weren't prepared is because the players returned late. He succeeded a milan legend who led us to within 1 point of CL and has been doing everything wrong since.

If you play a second string team on the premise that your best players don't know the system, you better be fucking sure that the players you HAVE chosen at least know the system. Otherwise he may as well have started with kessie bennacer and leao.

I feel like we are going to start pre-season again from early September when other teams are rearing to go. Our players looked frustrated, confused, fouling a lot when across the city conte is sounding the battle cry saying that his team is ready for anything. I'm very disappointed, what a terrible opening day. I don't even blame individual performance this is all down to giampaolo and the management

Nevermore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He really sounds arrogant, but I can see improvements in defense and midfielders movements. Donnaruma wasn't involved except idiotic passes from RR. Unfortunately, you can't play 4-3-1-2 without fullbacks and trequartista. No wonder our attack was sterile. I hope we switch to 4-3-3 and this loss will be our blessing

campsfield68

Faizan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Too many to name :D
Allegri is not the man to return to a team in the middle of a season. Nor does he suit our project.

Let's rather say Donadoni :o

and what makes you think allegri would want to come back here after his success with juve

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
magician
4-3-1-2
"system"

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Honestly

He isnt inspiring much confidence tbh.

All through pre season he stuck to his dated formation, with our entire transfer strategy revolving around getting players for the formation he likes to play in. He had ample time to figure out whether the players he has at his disposal are suited to play the way he likes to. Yet now, after our first game and barely a week left in the transfer window, he realizes that that may not be the case after all? Wasnt he made out to be some sort of tactics guru? How the fuck can you fuck up that bad then?

There were already warning signs in our pre season games and he kept repeating that the players will take time to get used to how he wants them to play. Now he fuckin changes tune?

Forget the fact that he kept insisting on using 4-3-1-2 despite the fact that it is dated as fuck and can only be effective if you have WC players at your disposal, why change your tune now?

There is a reason why his best placed finish ever was 9th. I fear this is going to be yet another wasted season because yet again we seem to have gotten a coach who is limited.

Sincerely hope I am wrong tho.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

indo

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
From my perspective, his idea is clear that the main thing this team do is maintain possession, that's why we rather passing back or vertical than try some attempts.

Starting from behind, in the back four, the side back rather to sit behind than do overlap, it's clear when samu get the ball wide, Calabria didn't help him by running upfront, so the only option he had was just passing vertical to suso or make a backpass to hakan.

In the middle and front this scheme too much reliable on hakan in terms of direction, and the position of suso is too far upfront, Moreover the striker many times going backwards or wide.

For our mister bean giampaolo atkinson, our ex coach gattuso may I say very rare too critic his player in the media, but our new coach already did in his first official league match.
And I saw a sign of panic by the way he changed his player.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
“Suso is an extraordinary player, but he probably has different characteristics and we need to get them to play in their natural roles. We’ll have to work on it and certainly in a different way, probably 4-3-3.

after one game...
I didn't expect it to happen so soon when I wrote this:

How long until the team drops the forced, impractical 4-3-1-2?

It took 3.5 games in 2012/2013.
No more than a few preseason games in 2013/2014.
8 games in 2014-2015.

I think we'll hit a post-2012 record this time. Giampaolo has used 4-3-1-2, from start, in EVERY single game in charge of Sampdoria and Empoli, with zero exceptions. He might stick to this until he's fired, and that's probably not going to happen until at least a few months into the season.

The only hope is that he mimics Sarri once again.
Giampaolo wasn't this strongly associated with 4-3-1-2 until he replaced Sarri at Empoli, and copied him, which saved his career.
4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 were his thing at Catania.
It's Sarri who was the 4-3-1-2 guy, and he tried to bring that over to Napoli, but he quickly realized it was impractical and shifted to a 4-3-3 that was a more advanced form of Benitez' 4-2-3-1.

Hopefully Giampaolo is as pragmatical as the guy who saved his career.
And hopefully Maldini and co aren't stupid enough to put all the eggs in one shitty basket, 4-3-1-2 in this case. It would repeat the mistakes of 2013, 2015 and 2017 summer mercati.

It seems he's going the Sarri route again, which is better than the alternatives, still we've ended up in a shitty situation that was so easy to predict from start.

I do not mind the club putting faith in a system coach and prioritizing long term results, but if you're going to do that then do it with someone worthwhile. Giampaolo went from a flop who was known for provincial, defensive tactics, to a "modern", 4-3-1-2 possession guy when he inherited Sarri's team at Empoli. He went on to try something similar at Sampdoria, and got similar results as his predecessors(actually Miha managed to finish higher than he ever did, 7th). He is one of few coaches who prefer short, lightweight, technical players in front of the defense(so basically he prefers Xavi on Busquets' position), and he throws away the defensive solidity which 4-3-3 & other winger formations tend to bring due to the helping hand the wingers give to the fullbacks. His Sampdoria team also looked overly tactical and static in some sense. Does his defensive record justify these weird decisions? Definitely not.
Did the overall results? Doesn't look like it. He may have improved some players, but he's the opposite of Gasperini in the sense that his stars go on to do even better without him. That's not a good sign.

Gasperini is what the club wishes Giampaolo was.
They should've given up the idea of a system coach when Gasp, Conte and Sarri rejected us. Or at least got someone that has achieved more than a 9th place.

Oh well. I hope he turns this around. Hopefully he manages to improve on Rino's/Montella's 4-3-3 the way Sarri did on Benitez' work.
He has such a sympathetic face. It breaks my heart to criticize him, especially now that he's already down.
Why couldn't all the poorly performing Milan coaches look like this?

15208803540743.jpg

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
He’s going public and putting pressure on the management at this stage. Thankfully the Italian window stopped that stupid early closure experiment for exactly this reason.

If we do not sign two starters for the attack, instead of Suso and Samu, then I think Giampaolo would be correct to move to a wider attack (a 4-3-3). But I’m really hoping that we sign the two attackers. Or once again this would be a window where we failed to solve such a blatantly obvious problem in the team.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Accidentally found this in a management book

Q64b4Yx.jpg

Kinda describes our situation, even though it's not about our Gattuso))

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yes indeed.. two fast fullbacks will make a world of difference to what we saw yesterday. Yet, it’s not enough.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I don't like this approach of pushing for the system you want to play, even if you don't have the resources for it. A good coach has to adapt to what he has at disposal. Giampaolo is not Guardiola and we are not Manchester City.

He was given a squad that was 1 point behind CL last year, while playing under a newbie coach. His job for this year is to take that level and improve it with 15-20% so that it is enough to get that CL place.

With 2-3 smart signings in key areas and some improvements in the technical area we should be able to achieve this objective.

1. Get a competent, fast LW
2. Replace RR
3. Sign a good MF
4. Sign some good depth players
5. Improve technical details

Although, point 0 would be to get a proven coach in the 1st place (which GP isn't).

Of course, I'm no coach or expert, but the action plan seems quite simple to me.

Why try this complicated overhaul straight from season 1, when there is a clear lack of necessary pieces and there's so much pressure to get this result? Seems quite stupid to me.

Why play Samu and Borini when you have Kessie and Leao? Even if they don't know the "system", their quality is much higher.

It's only the 1st game, but the signs of ego and stupidity are there. Hopefully, his ego is not that high and he'll make the necessary adjustments for the next one.

5 minutes of Suso on the wing has delivered more danger than the hole other 85 minutes.

Last edited:

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yes indeed.. two fast fullbacks will make a world of difference to what we saw yesterday. Yet, it’s not enough.

Did you notice our FBs indications yesterday? It was clear that GP has instructed them to be defensive and not go forward...it's not the problem of Calabria not being fast, but rather that he was told not to cross onto the opposing half... the whole setup was ridiculously stupid

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Did you notice our FBs indications yesterday? It was clear that GP has instructed them to be defensive and not go forward...i

Yup. This was also the case in Sampdoria.

Fullbacks are the engine of the team nowadays.
If they sit back, then the whole team will look lethargic.
One really good thing Rino did was establishing Calabria, who covered a lot more ground than Abate. This got the whole team going, and we were able to go toe to toe with teams like Lazio who try to outrun opponents.

Miha also made similar progresses on this front, albeit in a different way, before Montella undid them.
Looks like history is repeating itself.