The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 14-07-2018, 00:56   #1281
yagami7gnr
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curupira View Post
I am always curious what warranted his price?

During the end of the Berlusconi era we haggled for 6m over 3 years for Aquilani and even let Rami pay some of his transfer fee to Valencia.

Yet when we decide to spend, he was the guy? My memory may be a bit foggy but it felt like we did not even haggle...
Roma paid 9 million to Genoa for 50% of Bertolacci's card (they owned the other 50%) so it was not a surprise what we pay for him. On the other hand I never understood the fascination from some people for him when I always found him average at best.

Signature
"If ignorance is bliss; then, knock the smile off my face"
yagami7gnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 07:15   #1282
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Welcome back, Berto! The shining star of a hapless generation of Azzurri stars

Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 07:17   #1283
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curupira View Post
I am always curious what warranted his price?

During the end of the Berlusconi era we haggled for 6m over 3 years for Aquilani and even let Rami pay some of his transfer fee to Valencia.

Yet when we decide to spend, he was the guy? My memory may be a bit foggy but it felt like we did not even haggle...
Read the first few pages of this thread.. he was considered to have one of the best potential among the youngsters in the league. Sadly for us, it didn't work out...... SO FAR!

Signature
Old 14-07-2018, 07:28   #1284
Thenebra
AC Milan Icon

He is coming home.

Signature
Sometimes Maybe Good Sometimes Maybe Shit
Thenebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:01   #1285
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagami7gnr View Post
Roma paid 9 million to Genoa for 50% of Bertolacci's card (they owned the other 50%) so it was not a surprise what we pay for him.
This + 6 goals and 8 assists for Genoa.
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 09:36   #1286
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Trust Sven to have a response even to a question asked 3 yrs later. This is why Berto was a good signing in 2015 (in addition to the 6 goals, 8 assists season):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Both Bona and Bertolacci are AM/wingers "converted" to deeper roles. Bertolacci played as AM/second striker in the season Genoa almost got relegated... One of the few players who did well that season.

They both have trouble defensively, that they sort of make for it with running.

Bertolacci plays a heavier game though. He's more natural to CM than Bonaventura.

We got many players leaving and we will need depth. Bertolacci will be at least very useful

Signature
Old 14-07-2018, 10:18   #1287
kakajd
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
Trust Sven to have a response even to a question asked 3 yrs later. This is why Berto was a good signing in 2015 (in addition to the 6 goals, 8 assists season):
As rotation, could be a good back up, and if he does well, honestly should be worth more than a few million.

Worth keeping around.

Probably better than Monto playing.....right?

Signature
Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.
kakajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 10:39   #1288
Mario
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakajd View Post
As rotation, could be a good back up, and if he does well, honestly should be worth more than a few million.

Worth keeping around.

Probably better than Monto playing.....right?
agreed, he wouldn't be too bad for depth given that hes fit. he could be useful for Gattuso

and with Locatelli getting sold with a buy pack clause there is talk that we're back in for Badelj which would be nice

Monto, J. Mauri and Locatelli out

but then again i was quite happy when i read we'd be getting 6m from everton since we need the money, but i guess since its the capital gain we're after selling at loss wont cut it

Signature
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 11:23   #1289
Rossonero1028
Senior Team Member

If Bertolacci stays i have read that we dont buy another CM (Kessié Backup). I like Bertolacci a lot and i think he can very useful.
Rossonero1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 11:57   #1290
Ronin
Milansochist

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

I can see him doing ok as backup under Gattuso

#growlforce
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 12:10   #1291
Jasper
Maldini tier

Fav. Players: 3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
#growlforce
dude!

[insert Berto dive and being soft compilation in Milan shirt]

Signature
Must follow tumblr - http://milanpeaboss.tumblr.com/

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 14:48   #1292
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Yeah he was quite the softy during his time with us.. His only benefit that Gattuso might possibly like is the versatility, basically it's the same benefit that Borini gives us, except in midfield.

Signature
Old 14-07-2018, 18:54   #1293
Ronin
Milansochist

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

If Poli could do it under Seedorf, Berto can pull it under Rino.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 23:55   #1294
Hugh Janus
Mong

Fav. Players: Maolo Paldini

begone bot
Hugh Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:37   #1295
Balo45
AC Milan Legend

I would like to see how he plays in the preseason games and then judge him, I think he can be worth more to us than that 5 mil he might be rumored to bring in.

I watched a couple videos on him just to try and jump my memory and I think it's coming back to me a little bit. Injuries definitely ruined his time here and probably stalled his career in general. Not that he had career ending problems, just that you can tell he's the type of player whos confidence was totally shot. He was considered talented for a few seasons, and then he finally put it somewhat together and had a great year at Genoa, which earned a money move to Milan. Then he got hurt, lost his confidence, and probably struggled with the pressure of playing here. He's probably not the mentally strongest player.

Still, he was at least a decent player, and he played 33 games last year. I'm not going to act like I saw him at Genoa a lot, so idk if he's much different. But when we signed him, he was agile and could beat his man, hence the goals and assists he had at Genoa. Injuries/confidence issues made him hesitant to go into challenges and take on players, and that's what did him in here I think. But, he was tidy on the ball and if he can be close to the player I remember, we can use him. Like I said 5 mil is nothing.

Another thing I think is easy to forget but he actually was playing solid for Milan during a heavy stretch of the season in 2016. Mihajlovic played a 442 with Honda and Jack wide of Berto and Monto and he looked decent. He was never the player we expected, so he was rightfully looked down on. But I would take that Berto back tbh. Not at the expense of locatellis minutes though, that's important
Balo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:58   #1296
yagami7gnr
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balo45 View Post
I would like to see how he plays in the preseason games and then judge him, I think he can be worth more to us than that 5 mil he might be rumored to bring in.

I watched a couple videos on him just to try and jump my memory and I think it's coming back to me a little bit. Injuries definitely ruined his time here and probably stalled his career in general. Not that he had career ending problems, just that you can tell he's the type of player whos confidence was totally shot. He was considered talented for a few seasons, and then he finally put it somewhat together and had a great year at Genoa, which earned a money move to Milan. Then he got hurt, lost his confidence, and probably struggled with the pressure of playing here. He's probably not the mentally strongest player.

Still, he was at least a decent player, and he played 33 games last year. I'm not going to act like I saw him at Genoa a lot, so idk if he's much different. But when we signed him, he was agile and could beat his man, hence the goals and assists he had at Genoa. Injuries/confidence issues made him hesitant to go into challenges and take on players, and that's what did him in here I think. But, he was tidy on the ball and if he can be close to the player I remember, we can use him. Like I said 5 mil is nothing.

Another thing I think is easy to forget but he actually was playing solid for Milan during a heavy stretch of the season in 2016. Mihajlovic played a 442 with Honda and Jack wide of Berto and Monto and he looked decent. He was never the player we expected, so he was rightfully looked down on. But I would take that Berto back tbh. Not at the expense of locatellis minutes though, that's important
I would not. I would say "Thank You Genoa" and go away with 5 million. We are not even going to recoup 50% of what we paid. Even at his best Bertolacci is just a Bonaventura wannabe. Crafty (gets you FKs) but defensively offers you nothing, offensively may offer you a single good pass every 10 games but nothing more. I do not know what Rino can do with him but the only positive right now is that he is not an expense. On the other hand Jose Mauri still here too so ………………….

Signature
"If ignorance is bliss; then, knock the smile off my face"
yagami7gnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:51   #1297
helloAgain
AC Milan Legend

i thought, defensively he was ok. at least from few matches and highlights that i saw of him. some of his games, he was on early hakan level and others were ok(when whole team was doing well and were on a good run).
helloAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 12:54   #1298
truant
sexy football fetishist

Fav. Players: Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo

Jokes aside, good to see that old Berto isn't in the reckoning for us yet although the season is new.

IIRC he played regista for Montella so would be interesting for Rino to experiment against Coppa/EL teams seeing as we have no cover in that position. Would be important to test if Bertolacci can be an option in the event of suspensions and injuries.

If there was no other choice, I'm not sure whether he or Monto would be better, or would it be better to just give up and use a double pivot with Bakayoko and Kessie - Bakayoko played his best forward in a double pivot with Fabinho at Monaco, but what would Rino go for?
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 05:17   #1299
Donato
The Wise One

Fav. Players: Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato

Happy to wipe the slate clean with Bertolacci, the guy was struck down by injury in his time here and was here at a time of discomfort for the club. Not expecting a 20m player just expecting him to play his role when he’s called upon and if Gattuso believes he can play a role for this club then I believe so too.

Signature
🔴⚫️ The Sleeping Giant Is About To Be Woken 🔴⚫️

Donato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 13:23   #1300
helloAgain
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Jokes aside, good to see that old Berto isn't in the reckoning for us yet although the season is new.

IIRC he played regista for Montella so would be interesting for Rino to experiment against Coppa/EL teams seeing as we have no cover in that position. Would be important to test if Bertolacci can be an option in the event of suspensions and injuries.

If there was no other choice, I'm not sure whether he or Monto would be better, or would it be better to just give up and use a double pivot with Bakayoko and Kessie - Bakayoko played his best forward in a double pivot with Fabinho at Monaco, but what would Rino go for?
thought gattuso would bring him in instead of bakayoko.
helloAgain is offline   Reply With Quote