Rui Costa - feelings?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Our website is writing an article on Manuel Rui Costa and I wanted to get a general feel from the fans of Milan as to how the feel about him, both in the past and currently with hindsight.

How was he as a player? Strengths and weaknesses? Was he a good signing? Was he appreciated at the time, or only now?

I appreciate any help from you guys as you're the ones with first hand experience! Anything you can think of to say will be helpful and we appreciate any comments in advance.

Nostalgiainjection

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Less goals than prince

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
Less goals than prince

00055kxb.gif

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Should have been bought sooner.

Was really great in the cl final.

Last edited:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Legend.

He should sell benfuca players cheap to ud. :g:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Pls don't use the pic with him and materazzi

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I feel like all cyclists dope. #nosetalgia_injections

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
RUI1.jpg

Rui%20Costa%20-%20Milan%20with%20trophy.jpg

Rui Costa with Milan:

Serie A (1): 2003–04
Coppa Italia (1): 2002–03
Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2004
UEFA Champions League (1): 2002–03
UEFA Super Cup (1): 2003

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I don't have feelings for Rui.

I might have feelings for Dhorasoo, those are still unresolved though. #10yearsofsuffering.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
He shit all over Boateng. Joined too late for Milan still one of the greatest number 10 of all time.you should go to fiorentina forum to ask about glory days of batigol rui Costa

Miss Stardust

The Snow Queen
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaka, Gerrard, Inzaghi, El Sharaawy, Iker Casillas, Cristiano Ronaldo.
I have real and genuine feelings for Rui Costa... Even though I don't know him that well...

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Rui Costa seemed to glide, not run, with the ball. I think the closest player to his style today would be Ozil since they both have outstanding ball control and the eye for the killer pass. Rui Costa needed time to settle at Milan his first year didn't meet expectations but he was instrumental in winning the CL in 2003. When Kaka came his game time decreased but often he was played with Kaka in Xmas tree formation that was very appealing to watch. His attitude was admirable because you really felt he loved the club and the fans also loved him because he was a genuine person with a laid back personality. He looked more like a surfer than a footballer and never seemed to loose his mind.

I really loved Rui Costa but I only realized how great he was for us towards the end of his career with us. I would not put him on the same level as Kaka or Seedorf but he was part of a great moment in Milan's history and I am forever grateful for his contribution to this clubs success.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
if he had joined us just 3 years earlier, we would have had more scudettos easily.

Last edited:

Don Dada

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
He was a great player. As usual we got him a little too late in his career. Couldn't wait for him to retire. We haven't had a great #10 in years. Costa, Seedorf and now Honda. 3 Mehs! Granted Seedorf is a legend in Milan and European football but his time with that #10 jersey was definitely a Meh.

massaro

primetime
Reaction score
Fav. Players
seedorf pato nesta maldini
He was a great player. As usual we got him a little too late in his career. Couldn't wait for him to retire. We haven't had a great #10 in years. Costa, Seedorf and now Honda. 3 Mehs! Granted Seedorf is a legend in Milan and European football but his time with that #10 jersey was definitely a Meh.
dude rui was a phenomenal player this guy was an assist machine
he was definetly not meh and seedorf best mid in the 2007 champions league if this is meh for you

Don Dada

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Read what i said carefully. Im a big fan of Seedorf.

Oh and let's not forget another disappointing #10. Boateng. As a Ghanaian, he pisses me off the most.

WhatHappened2AC

Beginner
Reaction score
Rui Costa, Rui Costa, where do I start?

Personally he meant everything to me in the Rossineri shirt. This man deserves to be put up there with Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Botticelli, why? because he was a perfect artist of his era. There's nothing to say an artist has to be a painter but an artist must translate a thousand words with a vision from within.

Our man, our magician, our Rui Costa had that vision within himself that translated onto the football pitch. His vision was a thousand words written in red and black expressing happiness, adulation, freedom and creativity. The pictures we look back on with Rui Costa can still be felt in today's environment, the fans felt touch of the ball with every beat of the heart, every shimmy and every dummy that shut the opposition up, every time the San Siro stood still and waited on a cliff edge for that exquisite pass through on goal.

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Personally he meant everything to me in the Rossineri shirt. This man deserves to be put up there with Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Botticelli, why? because he was a perfect artist of his era. There's nothing to say an artist has to be a painter but an artist must translate a thousand words with a vision from within.

Our man, our magician, our Rui Costa had that vision within himself that translated onto the football pitch. His vision was a thousand words written in red and black expressing happiness, adulation, freedom and creativity. The pictures we look back on with Rui Costa can still be felt in today's environment, the fans felt touch of the ball with every beat of the heart, every shimmy and every dummy that shut the opposition up, every time the San Siro stood still and waited on a cliff edge for that exquisite pass through on goal.

Son, you are trying way to hard. It reads like a Twilight novel. Please, just stop.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
He was absolute class. the ideal #10. A man that rather make the final pass than the goal himself.

i agree with the comparison to him as almost a surfer. :thumbsup: spot on.

NobodyCares

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo
Rui Costa was one of the best players to have worn our shirt.
He was pure flair, pure class.
His through balls can put many other greats to shame.

He was pure genius.

You should see him and Batistuta.

Rui_Costa-Kaka.jpg

Kaka replaced him, a more industrial trequartista. But Rui was magical. Someone said this above.
He didnt run with the ball, he used to glide.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
he's a starter in all my "top xi"-s
The kind of player that makes you watch a match even if you couldn't care less about the teams that are playing

Monsieur

2footedtackle
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Teofilo Cubillas, Jose Velasquez, Cesar Cueto

rui costa cool as fuck.

Schedule