The Rumour Commode XXXI: The Panther Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
Milan returns from Rome as the winner, but not without bad news. The results of the exams for the three players who closed the Olimpico match with aches, two tiles and a sigh of relief have arrived.

IBRAHIMOVIC - Starting with Zlatan Ibrahimovic. For the Swede it is a lesion of the left adductor longus muscle. He will be re-evaluated with an instrumental examination in about ten days: the attacker, who will be a guest in Sanremo in these days, will certainly miss the two league matches against Udinese and Verona and the first leg of the Europa League round of 16 against Manchester United.

CALHANOGLU - More uncertainty instead about Hakan Calhanoglu, who came out at half-time: the instrumental tests showed a widespread edema of the medial flexor muscles of the left thigh. He will be re-evaluated according to clinical evolution.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
EvYkIpSXAAE15nr

Calabria got my vote.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
Hopefully Mandzukic returns for the game vs Man Utd

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
giphy.gif

bro...i dont think u understand how lame basketball is and how cool and global football is

zlatan is way bigger then lebron
and also messi is 10x bigger then MJ (but u cant compare cause its different times)

If you ask someone that has never watched any sports who Messi is, they might now know.

You ask them who Michael Jordan is, and they'll say basketball.

Also in regards to just popularity, David Beckham is one of the most famous football players globally. And currently, Cristiano Ronaldo is more popular than any other player.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
If you ask someone that has never watched any sports who Messi is, they might now know.

Also in regards to just popularity, David Beckham is one of the most famous football players globally. And currently, Cristiano Ronaldo is more popular than any other player.

Wrong. They'll say it's that guy from Space Jam if they don't know basketball/sports. :D

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Looks like Ibra and Calha won't make it for Wednesday.

Might be good for us, they've both been quite bad / average. Let's give others a chance.

I really wanna see Hauge CAM, but probably won't gonna happen soon. Pioli seems to not trust Lmeao at CF, so I hope this doesn't mean Rebic CF... even Diaz false-9 sounds better

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Goodmorning Milanistas

Except congo

A_Wild_Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Kessie was boss yesterday, I dont know what happens to him in the inter and spezia match.
If he always plays like that, we win for sure.
Kessie was overrun vs Inter & Spezia because the entire squad didnt stand their ground.
Yesterday he didnt need to cover for others & he was a beast.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane

Maradonna too.. even my aunts know hes a football player

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
So maybe

GK: G.Donnarumma, Tatarusanu, A.Donnarumma

CB: Romagnoli, Tomori, Kjaer, Gabbia

LB: Theo, ???

RB: Calabria, Kalulu

DM: Bennacer, Kessie, Tonali, ???

AM: Calhanoglu, Otavio

LM: Rebic, Leao

RM: Thauvin, Saelemaekers

CF: Ibrahimovic, ???

Kerkez, Svanberg, Belotti and Mandzukic.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Tomori transfer just shows how smart Maldini&co are. Instead of going for the overhyped kids who'd cost more than they're worth + demand a big wage, they found a gem in a tough situation (benched) and got a good price +loan deal

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Tomori transfer just shows how smart Maldini&co are. Instead of going for the overhyped kids who'd cost more than they're worth + demand a big wage, they found a gem in a tough situation (benched) and got a good price +loan deal

28 m... thats no peanuts in covid times

But tomori is worth every penny. Hopefully chelsea agrees to some instalments

Question is, will tomori want to stay? Well see

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wrong. They'll say it's that guy from Space Jam if they don't know basketball/sports. :D
Michael Jordan is in the same tier with Darth Vader and Michael Jackson. Even if you know nothing about anything you have heared of them and would recognize them

Messi I wouldn't dare to say so.

Jordan is up there because he's been the first megastar from sport who really was promotable outside his sport and in a tremendously commercial way. In the 1990s having a sport figure as prominent and popular like him on every McDonald's or Nike or many other adds just wasn't as common as it may be today. Not even with the likes of Maradona or whoever you might think of. That's why he became so famous all over the world even to those who haven't watched one single minute of NBA or even basketball.

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think Hauge should be playing instead of Castillejo every time. samu doesn't really offer anything in my eyes, he runs around a lot thats about it

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Just needs to be more proactive and find an approach against these high press teams we face, when we have a line line and destroy us on the counter.

I don't think high press means what you think it means.
"High" refers to the position of the press, not it's intensity.

Spezia pressed high - Inter did not.
Teams that look for counters aren't pressing us high - they stay in their own half.

At full strength, the team knows how to deal with high press and low blocks.
Problems appear when several key players are missing or off form and we have a new unsynchronized XI every week due to injuries, COVID, suspensions and rotation. The decimated team ends up not having the quality, fitness or cohesion to deal with fitter, well-organized sides regardless of how far up the pitch the opponents press. Liverpool are experiencing similar difficulties, but they may not even make Top 6 this season.

I think Pioli misjudged some players and he could've dealt with the issues more pragmatically. The team needs to reduce risks when they clearly aren't in a state where they can pull off risky moves.
But there are some players that are simply not good enough(Krunic, Meite, Dalot), not ready(Tonali) or poor fits for high press / high line(Leao, Romagnoli).

ZBoban

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Michael Jordan is in the same tier with Darth Vader and Michael Jackson. Even if you know nothing about anything you have heared of them and would recognize them

Messi I wouldn't dare to say so.

Jordan is up there because he's been the first megastar from sport who really was promotable outside his sport and in a tremendously commercial way. In the 1990s having a sport figure as prominent and popular like him on every McDonald's or Nike or many other adds just wasn't as common as it may be today. Not even with the likes of Maradona or whoever you might think of. That's why he became so famous all over the world even to those who haven't watched one single minute of NBA or even basketball.
Crazy to look at just a few of his endorsement deals. Coke, McDonald's, Nike, Gatorade...I can't even think of bigger or more global brands than these ones in the 90's.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I don't think high press means what you think it means.
"High" refers to the position of the press, not it's intensity.

Spezia pressed high - Inter did not.
Teams that look for counters aren't pressing us high - they stay in their own half.

At full strength, the team knows how to deal with high press and low blocks.
Problems appear when several key players are missing or off form and we have a new unsynchronized XI every week due to injuries, COVID, suspensions and rotation. The decimated team ends up not having the quality, fitness or cohesion to deal with fitter, well-organized sides regardless of how far up the pitch the opponents press. Liverpool are experiencing similar difficulties, but they may not even make Top 6 this season.

I think Pioli misjudged some players and he could've dealt with the issues more pragmatically. The team needs to reduce risks when they clearly aren't in a state where they can pull off risky moves.
But there are some players that are simply not good enough(Krunic, Meite, Dalot), not ready(Tonali) or poor fits for high press / high line(Leao, Romagnoli).

I think my typo maybe ruined what I meant, not "line line" - high line. We push up the pitch with a high line sometimes against a high press (as you've said, they are high up the pitch) and can leave us vulnerable when we lose the ball to it. We get beaten when they press players onto our key carriers i.e. Hakan who wasn't able to contribute much when this occurs. We end up losing the ball, and if we play up the pitch against that press with slow CBs then we just ask for trouble. We had issues against Atalanta and Lille (first game) when pressed and with intensity. It drowns out our play, which yes it certainly isn't helped with all of the injuries and players returning out of form. Problem is, we rarely have that cohesive full strength team to deal with it like they know how, so an alternative is needed. If we look back at the rate of injuries, you can suspect it will not be the end of it, and have to plan accordingly. Can't keep doing the same thing if Spezia can figure us out, and have others do the same.

Agree with your latter point. If you don't have the players with the characteristics needed to pull it off, we need to adapt. Not even a change in formation necessarily but how we dictate play and move the ball.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Imo Messi is not that big a "brand" as he could be because he is frankly quite boring and not that charismatic.

Compare that to Maradona who - despite being a legendary player - I?d say even outgrow his player quality in popularity.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
The answer to this question of global popularity can only be found in the deepest jungle of the most remote areas on the planet....so please let?s either go there and find the answer or let?s talk about another subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule