Week 36: Torino vs Milan 12/05/2021 20:45 CEST

Xudong

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
True but in that case it meant that we got 3 points against Atalanta and 3 points against Juve. Total: 6 points.

Juve got 1 point against Atalanta and 3 points against us. Total: 4 points.

Atalanta got 3 points against us and 4 points against Juve. Total: 7 points.

In that scenario where we end up having all three the same amount of points but with us winning against Atalanta Juve is out. That's why Atalanta winning against Genoa actually is good for us no matter what

A drew would be the best.:)

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
and they say that Zlatan carried the whole team

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Incredible result. Most goals I've ever seen us score, in fact I've never seen us score 6.

I remember one...early in the 02/03 season. I think it was also against Torino.
Oh, and the 2001 derby of course...

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If only Pioli deployed this flexibility with the 442/4411 w/e you want to call it a couple months ago when we were struggling. It had tested the water but we still reverted back to 4231 and were found out every game.

A few months ago Hakan and Brahim were out at the same time due to injury/COVID. Brahim's muscle injuries didn't stop when he returned - he's been going in and out the squad in the last months. Hakan has also missed games due to muscle problems.

Pioli did try this 4-4-1-1 also a few months ago. Remember the Old Trafford game? Or these other games where Krunic was left-midfielder?
We looked solid defensively, but lacked pace and a dribbler when Hakan+Krunic+Ibra were combined.

boss85

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Boban, Weah, Nesta, Shevchenko, Kaka, Inzaghi
I remember one...early in the 02/03 season. I think it was also against Torino.
Oh, and the 2001 derby of course...

December 2004 v Fiorentina, 6-0

Last time we scored 7 was v. Cremonese on 12 May 1996, and last time we scored 7 away was v. Fiorentina in a 7-3 win in October 1992

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Anyone know whats the deal with Hauge ?
Its really strange he isnt getting minutes.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
and they say that Zlatan carried the whole team

When the team plays well and Zlatan is on the pitch = it's his presence and shouting!

When the team plays well and Zlatan is not on the pitch = he doesn't need to be on the pitch for his leadership to have an effect!

When the team is losing without Zlatan = this team is hopeless without it's leader!

When the team is playing like shit and Zlatan is one of the worst performers, hampering the team with his immobility, walking, sulking, whining and complaining, such as against Spezia, Lille & Atalanta = .............

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
giphy.gif

fucking slander if ya ask me

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
We set up offensively different without ibra... with ibra we use him as a pivot up front. Get the ball to ibra who is excellent at ball control, strong with his back towards goal and holding up the ball to bring his team mates into play...this is better against stronger teams where the other players will be assigned to more defensive and positional responsibilities without the ball. ie to hit opponents on a counter with more direct play.

Without ibra the front 3 or 4 attackers have more movement and interplay/interchanging positions. This is more useful against “weaker” sides that set up to defensively. ie we can afford to take more risks going forward.

Playing against juventus and then Torino in a matter of days perfectly illustrates this.

Both are good options to have.

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roger Federer is the GOAT
Milan haven’t beaten Juventus and Torino away in 9 years, enter Pioli!!

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roger Federer is the GOAT
Time for Diaz to start vs Cagliari and Atalanta

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
So who was considering spending 15-20m on Singo?? Bad defending, no attacking and dominated all game by Theo. I remember the announcer saying that Singo is in to keep pace with Theo, then you watch the second goal and watch him burn Singo the entire field without trying... not saying he's a terrible player just there's absolutely no need to waste money on a backup RB like that right now.

Last edited:

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

He doesn't pleasure Pioli pre-game and that's required to get on the team

Ryo

Billy's Right Peg
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Billy, George, Marco, Paolo, Charles, Fik, Pierre, Mike & Rafa

Just let the kid integrate and develop in peace.
You forget that we have to give game time to the likes of Tonali and Leao too.
I feel like the subs this match were justified like-for like swaps.
- Bennacer wasn't doing too hot, so we subbed on Meite at half time to add more steel in the midfield.
- Diaz was starting to get tired (and Pioli probably wanted to go more defensive) so Krunic came on in the middle of the park
- Theo (LB) and Hakan (LW) were risking suspension against Cagliari so they took them both off for Dalot (LB) and Leao (LW).
- Rebic (ST) bagged a hattrick and was at risk of suspension so they took him off for Mandzukic (ST) to lead the line in his natural position.

In no situation would we put Hauge on, unless it was for Hakan, but we have Leao.

Best case scenario happened and we didn't get anyone injured or suspended for the Cagliari match. Alexis will be back to start over Samu.
End result, we are allowed to field 10 of our strongest 11 (bar Ibra) for the most important match of the season so far this weekend.

Last edited:

BreadPitt

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomori, Nesta, Maldini,Tassotti, Silva, Seedorf, Baresi, Totti, *Abate*,
Playing diaz behind the st has been a masterstroke his trickery and pace keeps defenders occupied and opens up space for others. Throw in a mobile st like rebic who runs hard you have got pockets of space all over.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We set up offensively different without ibra... with ibra we use him as a pivot up front. Get the ball to ibra who is excellent at ball control, strong with his back towards goal and holding up the ball to bring his team mates into play...this is better against stronger teams where the other players will be assigned to more defensive and positional responsibilities without the ball. ie to hit opponents on a counter with more direct play.

Without ibra the front 3 or 4 attackers have more movement and interplay/interchanging positions. This is more useful against ?weaker? sides that set up to defensively. ie we can afford to take more risks going forward.

Playing against juventus and then Torino in a matter of days perfectly illustrates this.

Both are good options to have.

I?d argue the opposite actually. Against bigger sides our faster players have more space to run into. Against smaller sides you need Ibra to ?make? his own space.

KooJii

Primavera
Reaction score
So who was considering spending 15-20m on Singo?? Bad defending, no attacking and dominated all game by Theo. I remember the announcer saying that Singo is in to keep pace with Theo, then you watch the second goal and watch him burn Singo the entire field without trying... not saying he's a terrible player just there's absolutely no need to waste money on a backup RB like that right now.

Yep. Singo was also in Dalot?s pocket after he replaced Theo. There?s no point to invest when there?s already a better player in the roster. And the price for Dalot is almost same?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The team played like dog shit before Zlatan returned last week.

Whether you like it or not, he brings the right mindset to this team.

The performances against Sassuolo and Genoa weren't as bad as the performance against Sampdoria, which Ibra played the full 90 mins of.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I?d argue the opposite actually. Against bigger sides our faster players have more space to run into. Against smaller sides you need Ibra to ?make? his own space.

Yup.
But some smaller sides try to play like big clubs, whereas some are so prone to errors that they can't even defend with numerical superiority.

If we could have Ibra available for one of the two remaining games I'd pick Cagliari.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
The team played like dog shit before Zlatan returned last week.

Whether you like it or not, he brings the right mindset to this team.

I?m not saying Zlatan isn?t important

But make people make it out like like we?re only Zlatan, yesterday?s display shows we have a few gems

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
A few months ago Hakan and Brahim were out at the same time due to injury/COVID. Brahim's muscle injuries didn't stop when he returned - he's been going in and out the squad in the last months. Hakan has also missed games due to muscle problems.

Pioli did try this 4-4-1-1 also a few months ago. Remember the Old Trafford game? Or these other games where Krunic was left-midfielder?
We looked solid defensively, but lacked pace and a dribbler when Hakan+Krunic+Ibra were combined.

Yeah, I understand. That's what I meant with testing the water - we had been forced into trying something new and it wasn't bad. But then it was dropped again when players came back and were thrown in unfit (like Hakan, Bennacer, etc) and we really struggled. I think the one thing Pioli needs is to be adaptable, like he has tried now. And, like benching Romagnoli, he also needs to learn it's acceptable to bench those just returning and give them 30 mins later into games than rush them in when unfit and then put in poor performances.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
E1Nz-aBXEAU_CHZ

So we had 12 shots, and managed to convert 7. That's massive compared to when we've seen us have 20 shots and still manage to not scored. Meanwhile Torino had 14 shots but I feel Donnarumma was only ever tested once - after Hakan gifted them the ball. The quality of our chances yesterday was sublime, albeit Torino were also very poor.

Last edited:

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Sensational performance.

It was a little nervy early on and I was just thankful Hakan's ludicrous lapse in concentration did not lead to a goal. We were just lucky the final ball was played to a defender who couldn't finish.

Apart from Castillejo who was as usual absolutely awful everyone else was superb. He hit the post when it was easier to score and put the shot wide before he was taken out for the penalty. I have seen him play a maximum of a handful of games since he has been here where he has shown flashes of being a good player. I know he has suffered with injuries but he must be one of the first players out of the door, he simply isn't good enough for the next chapter in this Milan's story.

Forza Milan!

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
E1Nz-aBXEAU_CHZ

So we had 12 shots, and managed to convert 7. That's massive compared to when we've seen us have 20 shots and still manage to not scored. Meanwhile Torino had 14 shots but I feel Donnarumma was only ever tested once - after Hakan gifted them the ball. The quality of our chances yesterday was sublime, albeit Torino were also very poor.
Exactly. The one and only big chance Torino had was 100% gifted by Hakan without them even putting pressure on him.

Actually that 1 big chance created should be accounted for us too

Schedule