Official: Stefano Pioli Thread

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The major positives I’ve picked up on about Pioli are that he’s charismatic/player favorite, he doesn’t over complicate things, and that he looks to play a style with intensity.

I’ve been clear in my desire for a high press system of some variation, and Goodfella was right to point out early on that Giampaolos teams didn’t run particularly enough. For a young team like Milan’s, it makes sense to ply with intensity, it will benefit our attack as well to win the ball back high up the field. When you have an experienced, smarter team it makes sense to play a deep line and cut off passing angles. When you have a younger team with legs to spare, it makes sense to play with high intensity and squeeze the life out of your opponents. I hope Pioli manages to outwork other teams at the very least if we can outplay them.

Charisma and getting the players to buy into him is also crucial for a young team. Over half of our team is talented and has shown flashes of good things, but they’re raw and a lot of players need to take the next step in their career toward being a more consistent player. Pioli being a father figure and being well liked will go a long way toward that I hope, because regardless of tactics, Milan first and foremost needs a coach that can shape young players. That’s the priority and the key determining factor in future success of this team.

Simplicity is also something I like about him, maybe similar to Gattuso although it seems like Pioli has more attacking ideas in him than Rino did. Clearly this team was not ready for an over complicated system that Giampaolo and also Montella wanted to try. Well see how he does, it’s certainly a gamble but on the surface level, he has the traits to at least improve the team a little bit

BillyTheKid

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
The major positives I’ve picked up on about Pioli are that he’s charismatic/player favorite, he doesn’t over complicate things, and that he looks to play a style with intensity.

I’ve been clear in my desire for a high press system of some variation, and Goodfella was right to point out early on that Giampaolos teams didn’t run particularly enough. For a young team like Milan’s, it makes sense to ply with intensity, it will benefit our attack as well to win the ball back high up the field. When you have an experienced, smarter team it makes sense to play a deep line and cut off passing angles. When you have a younger team with legs to spare, it makes sense to play with high intensity and squeeze the life out of your opponents. I hope Pioli manages to outwork other teams at the very least if we can outplay them.

Charisma and getting the players to buy into him is also crucial for a young team. Over half of our team is talented and has shown flashes of good things, but they’re raw and a lot of players need to take the next step in their career toward being a more consistent player. Pioli being a father figure and being well liked will go a long way toward that I hope, because regardless of tactics, Milan first and foremost needs a coach that can shape young players. That’s the priority and the key determining factor in future success of this team.

Simplicity is also something I like about him, maybe similar to Gattuso although it seems like Pioli has more attacking ideas in him than Rino did. Clearly this team was not ready for an over complicated system that Giampaolo and also Montella wanted to try. Well see how he does, it’s certainly a gamble but on the surface level, he has the traits to at least improve the team a little bit

Although I am not very optimistic regarding our current state, but your post makes sense and it made me feel better. So, thank you! :)

BillyTheKid

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Has he ever used 3 at the back? Considering how shit Calabria and Conti have been defensively, a 3-man defense might be a better option. Also Theo doesn't seem to be solid when defending. Any idea?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MKD_z0ki

Chosen One
Reaction score
Has he ever used 3 at the back? Considering how shit Calabria and Conti have been defensively, a 3-man defense might be a better option. Also Theo doesn't seem to be solid when defending. Any idea?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

He has used 3 at the back mainly against teams with possession where he needs to rely on counters. And against lower table teams where he can play possession based to have as many players as possible in opponents half. He mainly deploys 4231 and 433

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
The positives that I can say is that from all inerviews and quotes i've heard from him so far he at least doesn't sound like a GP style coach and his mentality and style already sound lightyears better than that tardbox GP. I think Pioli can have us battling for top 4. I think Spaletti would have gotten us there but at least Pioli might get us to at least challenge for it...

Well, now that there's nothing I can do about it, here's me becoming a fan again and willing to give support unless shit hits the fan again.

Good luck and Forza Pioli:star:

My thoughts really. GP was a liability and we would have been closer to the bottom 3 than the top 4 with him. We have a better chance with Pioli.

The start to the season shows what a massive mistake binning Gattuso was.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
The thing is with this guy once his tactics dont work he doesn't have a plan b.
I will take a scenario where Pioli start good & then his tactic are known & team is exposed.
Thing is GP doesnt know his own tactic.
I have no doubt that Pioli > GP.
Maybe not CL place better , but better.
If its Pioli or stick with GP then ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
s-l300.jpg

s-l600.jpg

s-l600.jpg

9208-81Bk.jpg

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Stefano Pioli is working on team-building exercises at Milan, including a rearrangement of the tables in their dining room.

The new Coach was appointed this week, replacing Marco Giampaolo after four defeats and three wins in Serie A this season.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Pioli’s first gesture was aimed at creating a more harmonious atmosphere within the squad.

This starts in the dining room, where he wants all the players around one long table so they can sit together and chat.

Until now, there have been many small tables, allowing them to break off into small groups.

Pioli is also introducing the idea of everyone having breakfast together when there are early training sessions.

Players can also be weighed before and after physical activity, in a bid to understand their progress and limit the diet.

He seems like a serious person.

Subw00fer

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko; Kaka; Thiago Silva

Pioli is also introducing the idea of everyone having breakfast together when there are early training sessions.

Players can also be weighed before and after physical activity, in a bid to understand their progress and limit the diet.

It’s quiet a true business!:thumbsup:
I have seen walkthrough of Zinchenko at City training camp and the same thing from Golovin at Monaco, seems like usual practice on board of top club. If you will delay even for 1 minute on breakfast - Pep makes for you some additional duties (wash the cleats for all team or assist another personnel for some hours or train young team). Everybody should respect the team and coaching staff.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
One table instead of many small tables?!

Fuck this man is next level!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Stefano Pioli is working on team-building exercises at Milan, including a rearrangement of the tables in their dining room.

The new Coach was appointed this week, replacing Marco Giampaolo after four defeats and three wins in Serie A this season.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Pioli’s first gesture was aimed at creating a more harmonious atmosphere within the squad.

This starts in the dining room, where he wants all the players around one long table so they can sit together and chat.

Until now, there have been many small tables, allowing them to break off into small groups.

He seems like a serious person.

This is very very serious calcio. One step away from Puccini in the dressing rooms. Forza Stefano.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
A 433 man.

Would've liked to see what he could do with 4321, but it is what it is.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
OK he got me, I am sold

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Klose to Gazzetta dello Sport: “I am happy that Milan have trusted Pioli for the job. He deserves it. He is a fantastic man. He is the right man for the job especially when it’s a moment of difficulty. He’s got rare human qualities, he is a very honest person.”

Klose: “He [Pioli] confronts the problems in a very concrete way He is frank, but very helpful. I am sure he will do well at Milan.”

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I'm not sure his tactics are gonna get us to where we need, but motivation, team character, and getting the best out of your players will trump tactics 10/10 times. That said it seems that he will have good man management like Rino and hopefully he will instill some damn pride in this team again and remind them that they are playing for a historic club and trying to get it to recognize its former glory again, not just some mid-table mindset which we've had for so long. Forza Stefano, really hoping for the best

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
I'm not sure his tactics are gonna get us to where we need, but motivation, team character, and getting the best out of your players will trump tactics 10/10 times. That said it seems that he will have good man management like Rino and hopefully he will instill some damn pride in this team again and remind them that they are playing for a historic club and trying to get it to recognize its former glory again, not just some mid-table mindset which we've had for so long. Forza Stefano, really hoping for the best

We can only hope!

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I liked how he fielded players to their strengths and didn’t force them to change their play to fit to his tactics. Everyone was comfortable playing their position, with the exception I think of Donnarumma who is still shaky as a sweeper.
Very attacking style, but we were at home against a weaker opponent. I want to see what he will field away against a same level opponent in Rome.
As far as substitutions go he made obvious substitutions for the situation. Must win game brought out a striker that can score for Leao who was getting complacent, and Paqueta wasn’t having the best game either. Both substitutions had a great game. Rebic on the other hand wasn’t so solid, but we don’t have much depth on attack other than him and he’s energetic so it still holds up.

What I took from this game is that Pioli is no where close to Giampaolo who is eccentric and hard headed. He is far more traditional, which I think young players benefit the most from. Still too early to be sure of anything though.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I really liked the central midfield with the 2-1/1-2 shift. That move gave our AM's a good bunch of attacking freedom and kept Kessie out of too many attacking moves without chaining him to the holding position too much. He is great for the occasional counter though.

The defense needs some work, even during the first half there were holes and errors a better team would have exploited.

In attack he really improved Suso's off ball movement and he and Hakan kept switching sides and being hard to mark. Also better attacking movements and plays in general :thumbsup:

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Like I said in the match thread, he taught the team how to attack.
Now he needs to teach them how to defend.

Every time Conti was left in 1 on 1 situations, we looked exposed af.
Someone needs to cover his ass all the time or we need a different player.

Same goes for Biglia.
He exposes the defense, but worst of all, 1 shit pass from him and we concede.

Pioli needs to figure out these 2 issues and we should be fine.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I liked two specific things about Pioli after his first match.

1. His courage to mix things up and take risks in his first ever match. The choice to go for a 3-2-4-1 style was pretty brave and it paid off in the first half. We should have really been 3-0 or 4-0 up.

2. Related to the above point, but he has been quick to figure out how best to play Hakan and Theo. Hakan is our creative hub in that floating role with Theo always ahead and to his left.

I hope he puts more players in their best situations in the coming days.

Last edited:

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Also, curva should call off their damn boycott.
This team is trying hard and needs the fans' support.

At least we now look like we can improve, unlike those lethargic GP's games.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I think it's just for one game to make a point. It's pretty stupid. They will hopefully come to their senses and cheer for the team from the next match.