Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Lisa said:
Group C
Haiti 2-2 Suriname
Costa Rica 1-0 El Salvador
:o. The result is what matters, and the stupidness of putting a coach with no friendlies to face a game like showed (congratz to our federation named by that stupid radio program :rolleyes: ). But damn it, he (our new coach) had absolutly no work plan, he thought it was either going to be a walk in the park, or I don't know what (he left only 1 defensive player in the bench, who isn't used to play in 4-4-2 formation, and who had never played with the other defender in trainings, he left out the DM's so we had no one to cover the ball, he only had strikers in the bench!). Respect to El Salvador, but with all of their limitations, we should have beat them by a bigger score (not suffer it when they missed out a pk and we scored ours). And that mexican ref=crap (Dracula), he called a foul on our strikers each time they bearly touch the defenders (meanwhile the defenders were able to kick all they wanted), eventually thanks to that we ended with a man down (our best striker). Glad I didn't went to watch it this time around.

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Coach Bradley has added defenders Danny Califf, Michael Orozco, and Marvell Wynne, and midfielder Ricardo Clark to the roster for the next two WC qualifiers against Cuba and Trinidad and Tobago. Injured Pablo Mastroeni and Jay DeMerit were dropped; and Steve Cherundolo is suspended for the game in Cuba following his ejection in Guatamala.

US Roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Danny Califf (Midtjylland), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Marvell Wynne (Toronto)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Los Angeles)

Forwards: Brian Ching (Houston), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Eddie Johnson (Cardiff)

The USMNT will play in Cuba for the first time since 1947, when they face Cuba in Havana, Sept. 6; they'll host Trinidad and Tobago in Chicago on Sept. 10.

Other scheduled games for Sept 6 - that's of course if all these damn hurricanes will permit it. :rolleyes:

Trinidad and Tobago v Cuba
Jamaica v Mexico
Canada v Honduras
El Salvador v Haiti
Costa Rica v Suriname

Last edited:

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Here's who Lippi called up for the WC qualifiers against Cyprus and Georgia.

Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Amelia (Palermo), De Sanctis (Galatasaray);

Defenders: Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Cassetti (Roma), Dossena (Liverpool), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Grosso (Olympique Lyon), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Zambrotta (Milan);

Midfielders: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan);

Strikers: Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Iaquinta (Juventus), Toni (Bayern Munich).

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
What Does He want from Gattuso?...The Player Is Injured, And We Need Him>:(>:(>:(>:(

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
ambro should have been called up instead of pee-rlo..

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Pato, Balotelli
Lisa said:

Defenders: Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Cassetti (Roma), Dossena (Liverpool), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Grosso (Olympique Lyon), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Zambrotta (Milan);

Midfielders: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan);

Strikers: Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Iaquinta (Juventus), Toni (Bayern Munich).

Pretty much what I expected to see for these qualifiers.
Great to see Il Capitano back. I'd only change one thing - kick Del Piero out of there and put in Cassano. Also, glad to see Materazzi didn't make it.

Alf

Reaction score
Lisa said:

Bad...:head:

Why Lippi don't call young players like Quagliarella, Cassano, Montolivo, Giovinco, Rosina or Giuseppe Rossi ?

Del Piero is too old now, and he never did good things with the "Nazionale".
He's pretty good with the Juventus but not with the "Nazionale".
He played 7 big competitions (96, 98, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008) and he's never been good... In 2000, if we lost the cup it's because of him, he missed 2 face to face against Barthez.
Why Lippi don't stop to call him ? :conf:

And, I don't understand why Ambrosini isn't in the selection also.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Alf said:
Bad...:head:

Why Lippi don't call young players like Quagliarella, Cassano, Montolivo, Giovinco, Rosina or Giuseppe Rossi ?

Del Piero is too old now, and he never did good things with the "Nazionale".
He's pretty good with the Juventus but not with the "Nazionale".
He played 7 big competitions (96, 98, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008) and he's never been good... In 2000, if we lost the cup it's because of him, he missed 2 face to face against Barthez.
Why Lippi don't stop to call him ? :conf:

because love juve
what an old team with no upcoming yougsters
if something happens to chellini during big tourney italy is going down

Alf

Reaction score
Ashish said:
because love juve

That's true...

And what about Amauri ?
He has an italian passport now, so why don't call him, he's good, better than Gilardino.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Alf said:
That's true...

And what about Amauri ?
He has an italian passport now, so why don't call him, he's good, better than Gilardino.
i think that guy is desperate for brasil

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alf said:
Montolivo, and Rossi are injured. Giovinco was called up to the U21 team.
But I agree on Quagliarella and Cassano and. They should have been called instead of Iaquinta and Del Piero. :head:

Ambrosini should have been called instead of Gatusso.

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Last edited:

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lippi Confident But Cautious Ahead Of Cyprus Clash

Italy coach Marcello Lippi has warned his side against complacency ahead of their clash clash with Cyprus in Group 8 of World Cup qualifying...

La Nazionale are favourites to emerge with the three points in Lanarca on Saturday evening, but the coach doesn’t think it will be as easy as it looks on paper.

Lippi is demanding that his players keep their feet on the ground and show respect for their opponents, rather than think of the game as an easy ride.

The coach is being cautious, but he is also fired up and raring to go as hetargets victory.

“No player in the team should underestimate this test,” said Lippi at the Azzurri’s afternoon press conference.

“If we did, it would show that the group has lost its intelligence, as well as the respect we have for the opposition.

“We will take them on with the different weapons we have in our arsenal and, believe me, we have many.

“I won’t accept any excuses, even if the pitch is small and awkward. No more talking - we must take maximum points.”

The coach also said a few words about Juventus talisman Alessandro Del Piero, who had a minor injury scare during training, but now appears fit to play.

“Del Piero worked separately from the rest of the group this morning and we will evaluate the situation tomorrow,” confirmed the coach. “He might be ready for the game.”

goal.com

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
hmmm, turkey will play armenia today... quite a big game given the history between the 2 nations.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
FYRO Macedonia 1 - 0 Scotland.

Fucking horrendous performance in George Burley's first competitive game in charge. We had a reasonable penalty shout but that's not really an excuse for the overall display. Total lack of creativity, poor tactics, some atrocious distriution from the defenders and to cap it all off, an appearance by some English twat with a Scottish grandmother.

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Calum1903 said:
Surprise defeat for a team that managed to hold their own against the likes of Italy and France.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Calum1903 said:

Fucking horrendous performance in George Burley's first competitive game in charge. We had a reasonable penalty shout but that's not really an excuse for the overall display. Total lack of creativity, poor tactics, some atrocious distriution from the defenders and to cap it all off, an appearance by some English twat with a Scottish grandmother.
Not directed at you, but ROTFLMFAO @ Tsar+Scotland. FAIL!

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
MilanoMichael said:
Not directed at you, but ROTFLMFAO @ Tsar+Scotland. FAIL!
Fair play, I don't know how the U.S. are playing right now so I have nothing to add about YOUR country, or have I misunderstood and your a Macedonian now because you had an ice cream or something?

Wasn't that big a surprise, Scotland never play well away from home in climates of about room temperature or above.

Last edited:

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Cristina said:
Surprise defeat for a team that managed to hold their own against the likes of Italy and France.

Not really a surprise, we're useless at playing against supposedly inferior teams, especially away from home. And any defence featuring Caldwell, McManus and Alexander is always going to leak goals. Oaves. Caldwell and McManus is a partnership that's proven inadequate in European competition with Celtic, so why would it be good enough at international level? Get Berra, Diamond or Andy Webster (if he's ever fit) in there, even if only to speed up their development, because none of the current crop apart from McManus are good enough.

Pandev acts like even more of a spoilt, petulant child when he's playing for Macedonia. No more so than James McFadden, mind you.

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
True, except the part about Diamond.

We are also unlucky, look at the last qualification tournament, we had to play Georgia when they were quite good and had it not been for defeat in Tblisi we would have qualified. Contrast that to the famously lucky Irish who less than a year later get to play Georgia now that it basically doesn't exist + and in Germany...

Then again I couldn't really care, we didn't have a chance of qualifying over Holland, though overtaking England in next months rankings would have been nice.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tsar said:
True, except the part about Diamond.

To me, of all our young centre-backs, he's next in line after Berra. Would you rather have Gary Kenneth?

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't realise youth was your issue, I'd take Weir + his dialysis machine over that power of pish players.

Are you seriously saying you'd have Diamond? I'm sure you to have of an evening ended up in Liquid and seen him and his bird. My mate accidently walked into him as you do in a busy club, apologised, and no word of a lie this was his response: "Ho! em Zander Diamond!". Who actually says that!? what a dickhead! I wouldn't take him even if he was twice the player he is now just to keep squad harmony intact.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Tsar said:
Fair play, I don't know how the U.S. are playing right now so I have nothing to add about YOUR country, or have I misunderstood and your a Macedonian now because you had an ice cream or something?
Come now Simple Jack, if I can take your ribbing then you can take some in return. :D

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tsar said:
Didn't realise youth was your issue, I'd take Weir + his dialysis machine over that power of pish players.

Are you seriously saying you'd have Diamond? I'm sure you to have of an evening ended up in Liquid and seen him and his bird. My mate accidently walked into him as you do in a busy club, apologised, and no word of a lie this was his response: "Ho! em Zander Diamond!". Who actually says that!? what a dickhead! I wouldn't take him even if he was twice the player he is now just to keep squad harmony intact.

Youth's not my only issue, I'm just suggesting that since no "current" centre-backs are good enough, it may be an idea to give some younger ones a shot, if only to increase their chances of one day being up to international standard.

I'm sure Zander is indeed a bit of a tosser, but I seriously doubt that he's much more of a dickhead than any other professional footballer. He doesn't have any sort of reputation for being a troublemaker up here that I'm aware of, just for being thick. As for other options, who do we have? Barr? Severin? Wilkie? Broadfoot? For the record, Severin's been outstanding at centre-back so far this season...

And I try to avoid Liquid at all costs - went back there last Saturday for the first time in a couple of months, inside for 2 minutes and there's a 20-man mass brawl going on - wonderful place!

Last edited:

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
man how the fuck did israel become good in football :mad: come on switzerland do something useful for once and finish their hopes once and for all.

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
MarbellaMiguel said:
Come now Simple Jack, if I can take your ribbing then you can take some in return. :D
LOL, keep it coming, but you will get as good as you give, for example:

Being a Macedonian is a little too obvious and short sighted for a smart chap such as yourself. I'm sure you'd atleast go for being Spanish given their recent success, hence your new name. :D

Calum: I'd have taken your man Anderson over that lot, I know his career hasn't been the same since Sunderland but he was a cut above that crap. McManus, Berra, Anderson, Webster would suit me with no fittness issues.

And yes, Liquid is a dive, hence numb nuts being the resident bar fly there.

Last edited:

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Full time: Albania - Sweden 0:0

Albania controlled the match all the time. Had the ball possession, more chances but seems that the luck wasn't written for them to score. All in all, I'm happy with the result and happy to see Ibrahimovic suffer from Albanian defenders who were more than perfect. :star:

Not a bad way to start with a draw on a very tough group.

Forca Shqipëria !!! :star:

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
lol at england.

Forza Andorra and specially since they have a defender called AYALA! ;)

Schedule