Group D: COSTA RICA, URUGUAY, ENGLAND, ITALY

Which 2 teams will advance out of Group D?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Italy never perform well in group stages. They do much better later in the competition.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
italy 9
uruguay 6
costa rica 1
england 1

Nah I expect a draw against Costa Rica

Italy 7
Uruguay 6
Costa Rica 2
England 1

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Poli, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Pippo, Buffon, Pirlo, D.Lopez, Verratti, Gattuso, De Rossi, Darmian.
The fucking hype.... Still another 4-5 days...

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Damnn a world cupp just feels such long time agoo

I can't wait for it :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
England will not pass the group swagger. If Rooney decided to play CF instead of trying to be AM, I may give them a chance.

My man studza aka sturrdige and sterling will decimate all the other teams in this group. You will be surprised, mark my words. :o

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Winning a champions league is much harder than winning a world cup.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The rigorous schedule, 13 games, 2 legged ties and the quality of players are around the same quality as the ones you would normally see in the wc. Besides even ancelotti and mourinho agree, u can have a look, both believe ucl is much harder to win. The main factor that decides this debate imo is the money aspect, since players arent given contractual payments to represent their country, conversely, players in ucl are paid on a regular basis and are also given added incentives based on performances. I am sure players try harder when they are paid more although yes representing your country is quite exciting too.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
although i agree that winning ucl is much harder than wc, you don't need to be paid to give your best in the world cup.

Patri

Kallappam-pothu
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Gennaro Ivan Gattuso
Winning a champions league is much harder than winning a world cup.

Would you also say that in a given player's career, it is harder to win a World cup than a Champions league? In club football, you play very well and you get calls from the best teams in the world. But for the World Cup, you could end up watching from home like Zlatan

Plus, there are the WC qualifiers to be navigated as well en route to winning a World Cup. That is a lot of matches too. :D

Last edited:

Dsav

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
The world cup is easier to win than the UCL? :fp: Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee be joking. No chance.

Even from a pure tournament stand point (1 leg vs 2 legs etc), I still disagree. 1 leg is harder, if you play poorly you are gone. In the champions, you have a second chance.

Ancelotti and Mourinho have never coached on the international level. How do they know? If your country has not got or produced the talent you will not win. Simple.

Today on the club level, money is the key. Look at City, Chelsea, PSG, Real. $$$ The UCL can be eventually be bought, the world cup cannot. Except for Real & Chelsea, none of the teams i mentioned have won the champions league but lets face it due their $$$ they are closer to winning it than Milan are. It wont be long before City and PSG win the champions league. Just like Chelsea did, they were nothing but eventually got there.

If the World cup is easy to win, lets see Ancelotti or Mourinho take over a team like Australia and win? They wont. They have a better chance of taking over a team like Torino for example and winning the champions league. All it takes is money. Rich arab buys Torino, invests money. They are now competitive.

You can pour all the money you want into a Country's football program, but there is no guarantee the country will produce the talent. If it they do, it takes generations to achieve. Ie Belgium's current generation. Look at Netherlands, Portugal. The talent those countries have produced is exceptional but neither have won the world cup.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Would you also say that in a given player's career, it is harder to win a World cup than a Champions league? In club football, you play very well and you get calls from the best teams in the world. But for the World Cup, you could end up watching from home like Zlatan

Plus, there are the WC qualifiers to be navigated as well en route to winning a World Cup. That is a lot of matches too. :D

well u do u have to finish within a top 3/4 position in the league to even qualify for ucl.

Patri

Kallappam-pothu
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Gennaro Ivan Gattuso
well u do u have to finish within a top 3/4 position in the league to even qualify for ucl.

And what of the Zlatan situation? Plus, the world cup only comes around every four years.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I guess you can make arguments for both tournaments
but I think mostly will agree that the World Cup is a lot harder to win

anyway the WC is the highest valued football tournament in the whole world
winning that makes you a legend

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
True but i just that the quality of players are much better in ucl. There are less average sides in comparison to the world cup. What about the zlatan situation? He plays for a mediocre team, hence why his team dint qualify. It works both ways. I guess its hard to arrive at a defined conclusion regarding this debate but for me the quality of players and the level of play is much superior in ucl. You need to factor in team chemistry as well, ucl teams have played regularly and the players would find it easier to adapt to a system they are familiar with. This would improve their ability to play more as a team, which constitutes better results in the process.

Last edited:

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
True but i just that the quality of players are much better in ucl. There are less average sides in comparison to the world cup. What about the zlatan situation? He plays for a mediocre team, hence why his team dint qualify. It works both ways. I guess its hard to arrive at a defined conclusion regarding this debate but for me the quality of players and the level of play is much superior in ucl. You need to factor in team chemistry as well, ucl teams have played regularly and the players would find it easier to adapt to a system they are familiar with. This would improve their ability to play more as a team, which constitutes better results in the process.

Not true at all IMO, there are more shitty teams in the CL

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Quality of play i mean

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
well club teams practice all season together, nation football just at occasions
another reason why it's harder to win the WC

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
And quality of players too. Almost all teams in the knockout stages and above are filled with quality players

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
Italy 7 Points
Uruguay 7 Points
England 3 Points
Costa Rica 0 Points

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
But overall depth in quality is superior to wc squads.

sorry, still disagree very much with this

Olympiakos, Cimbombom, Leverkussen, Schalke hell even Milan can not field 11 quality players

nations are far more superior than club teams, and are definitely more interesting

WC > CL any day !!

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
This is the stupidest debate I've ever seen in my life.

Ask Ibrahimovic which is harder, he will say playing for Sweden.. obviously. Ask De Sciglio and he will say playing for Milan is harder....

Depends on the team you play for.... World cup is a short tournament, but the powerhouses usually win. Perhaps everyone forgot.. Only 8 Countries have ever won, w 3 countries winning 12 out of 19.

Brazil: 5 World Cups
Italy: 4 World Cups
Germany: 3 World Cups
Argentina: 2 WC
Uruguay: 2 WC
France: 1 WC
England: 1 WC
Spain: 1 WC

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
well considering that world cup is organized every 4 years lol, its not surprising that only 8 countries have won it.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sorry, still disagree very much with this

Olympiakos, Cimbombom, Leverkussen, Schalke hell even Milan can not field 11 quality players

nations are far more superior than club teams, and are definitely more interesting

WC > CL any day !!

lets agree to disagree then. i could say the same about costa rica, australia (this year we are very poor) but that 2006 team was a beast :o. cameroon are probably on par with the teams u mentioned, greece, honduras, iran, nigeria and algeria too. it works both ways but i see what u mean.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
lets agree to disagree then. i could say the same about costa rica, australia (this year we are very poor) but that 2006 team was a beast :o. cameroon are probably on par with the teams u mentioned, greece, honduras, iran, nigeria and algeria too. it works both ways but i see what u mean.

Well that's not fair, I only was talking about teams from the knockout phase, if I would list all the fodder teams from the group stage it would be a lot more and prove my point even more

also Greece & Nigeria are definitely better than Olympiacos and etc.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ah ok. knockout stages and after i believe UCl teams are superior. cmon man, barca, chelsea, real madrid, bayern, man.utd despite their poor form, dortmund, atletico madrid etc are all just as good if not better than the WC teams.

Schedule