Week 3: Milan vs Lazio 12/09/2021 18:00 CEST

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully Florenzi shown something in training I didn?t see otherwise it?s a weird choice but if we wanna rest Alex guess we got no choice but play him for 50-60m

He?s shown nothing so far in his cameos as far as I see it but it?s still early. It was mainly the hesitancy and lack of any sorta explosiveness he shown, and he?s supposed to be the opposite and bigger character

Other than that I like the line up. Hopefully Ale continues good form and he deserves to start if Kjaer is bit tired, seeing Kessie-Tonali here will give us an idea if they will take on Liverpool or if Benna steps in

Either way having Kessie, Tonali, Baka and Benna for two spots :love: and we got Adli & Pobega on loan too!

Pioli compared Lazio and Liverpool by saying Lazio has a fixed forward while Liverpool has a mobile forward. Makes sense to rest Kjaer for Lazio because Romagnoli is more comfortable marking someone that likes to stay in the box and not try to drag him all over the pitch. Kjaer is far more proactive and doesn't mind doing that.

I agree with you about Florenzi. I really hope what we saw was just him being rusty after preseason, but his performance against Bulgaria was pathetic. Really hope we don't regret playing him today, especially with Saelemaekers on such good form. Then again Pioli really likes to rotate his wingers, so playing 3 important games one after the other, it's expected that this position would be the first one that he would consider making a preemptive rotation for.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So dumb.. why run the wingers Pioli... just go 4312 or 3412

-----------Maignan-----------
-----Fik----Kjaer---Roma----
Cal----Kess-----Tonal----Theo
-------------Diaz--------------
------Ibra/OG---Leao/Reb----

Seems obvious to me to just not run wingers. Puts Rebic and Leao in ideal positions to be threats and also benefits our backup "side backs" as they would be a lot better as wing backs (Florenzi, Ballo-toure). And it keeps Pioli's precious double pivot. Limited coach.

How do you propose we press them high with this formation? Are Theo and Calabria going to press their fullbacks? What if the opposition breaks the press, we need Fik and Romagnoli to cover their wingers? Doesn't that isolate the defense? Will Kessie or Tonali have to drop back during our press to accommodate for that? Does that mean that Brahim and Kessie are the only midfielders to cover the central spaces?

A 352 is great for width in attack to overload on the outside, but it doesn't really make much sense for the way we play (high press, quick build and direct up from the back). It's great for defending deep because you have 3 centerbacks, and the wingbacks can close off any danger from the wings, and you still have 3 midielders in front and 2 attackers to try and make something out of any counterattacks. But it doesn't really have the right spatial organization to maintain the sort of high press we need, especially with one of your two attackers being non-existent in that regard.

The simple answer is when we press we need someone to press the CB's to stop them getting enough time to think and then force them into a sideways pass (Ibra) we need someone to close off the central channel (Brahim) we need a player to press their fullbacks when they are about to receive the ball (Rebic and Saelemaekers) and we need our backline to push up and midfielders to track anyone dropping back to receive the ball.

A 352 has one key ingredient missing and that is you can't afford to push your wingbacks so high up during the press. It's suicide if they break it. In a 4231 or similar you have the failsafe of your fullbacks to cover for that.

Of course with the right tweaks and practice and time you can make anything work, but why force something like that to work when we have a squad that's used to the way we play and that works?

Saying Theo is better as a wingback is not true. He needs the space to run into and he needs our winger to occupy the fullback so he can exploit the space. We just need to protect the space behind him, and we do that.

I mean, I'm an amateur and I don't think I know everything but I can at least understand the way we play and what makes it work and how it works. Pioli is a professional and he sees the players every day and knows exactly what he's doing. It's been a pleasure to see the constant progress being made to the way we play, slowly improving what works and finding solutions to the problems that get exposed. To say 'he should play 352' without considering all the different variables, options and risks is just completely asinine. We've been adapting and evolving the way we play pretty much since January 2020 when we made the big change.

For example early on in 2020 Kessie was playing as the RCM, a position that he was playing with us for years, but in a midfield 3. We switched him to the left side against Lazio in order to track Sergej. Since then he's always been on the left, why? Because he protects Theo on that side. It allows Theo to take more risks knowing that Kessie is behind him to clean up. Fik on that side also makes it even more likely for Theo to take more risks, and even deeper in our half.

Now Pioli is experimenting with inverted fullbacks. Notice in the next few games how often you'll see Calabria and Theo tuck into midfield when we have the ball high up. They'll alternate this depending on where the ball is, but the idea here is that instead of Calabria always being the RCB when we have the ball (which is predictable and can be exploited) we sometimes drop Tonali into defense and have Calabria move up into midfield. It's very fluid but it wasn't an accident. So try to notice it next time.

I'm writing all this because I find it really sad that people don't see how intricate and well drilled this team is and it makes me sort of angry to read stuff like 'lets throw all the work we've built over a year and a half, and all the advantages that consistency brings, in order to try something completely different because Pioli is an idiot and I know better'.

Last edited:

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
MNiJZ75g

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wow, Messias not even called up. Must be really out of shape. At least Pellegri is called up so I guess he's catching up.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, Messias not even called up. Must be really out of shape. At least Pellegri is called up so I guess he's catching up.

Messias is just a loaned player, he isnt a priority at the moment. I hope he can deliver when called upon.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Messias is just a loaned player, he isnt a priority at the moment. I hope he can deliver when called upon.

Yeah wasn?t expecting him to do much at this point but to not be called up (when we?re expecting Florenzi to start) means he much really be having bad fitness issues

WILL2K

Magical Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo , Maldini , Kaka , Zizou ..
Hope to see Pellegri as a sub with at least 15 mins to go.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah wasn?t expecting him to do much at this point but to not be called up (when we?re expecting Florenzi to start) means he much really be having bad fitness issues

I watched some of his crotone matches a while ago. He doesnt seem like a winger so I dont think he is a back up for Florenzi or Salad. I guess he will be the back up for Brahim.
A lot of times his runs start in the mezzala position and then drifts forward.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I watched some of his crotone matches a while ago. He doesnt seem like a winger so I dont think he is a back up for Florenzi or Salad. I guess he will be the back up for Brahim.

There?s not much to base an opinion of him off of, he only had one season in Serie A. Pioli did say he sees him as a right winger that can also play the AM if needed.

King George

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Boban, Maldini, Nesta, Costacurta, Montolivo, Ambrosini, Albertini, Desailly
Sarri's team is typically really good in finding space to advance the ball forward with quick short passes. I prefer to be a bit conservative and more selective with the pressing.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Exciting game!

Lazio will be difficult, I think we are equal strength going into the game and we must show that we are serious title contenders by playing a great game tomorrow.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Let's goooooooooo!

Finally we get to watch this team again!

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

I think he has a very interesting skillset for what we need for the RW(as Saele alternative), but I also think we will see him a few times at AM.

I see people shitting on management because he needs some time to adjust, I don't understand this attitude. Let the player gel with the group and find himself, the season is long and it's not like we miss him right now. Saele is in excellent form.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
I think Messias will play as a RW majority of the time. He said he started at RW and he feels best there. Longo and Vitiello were reporting that we were after a left footed right winger (hence the Faivre, Messias links)..he might have more of a free role but on paper imo he should be playing as a winger

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think he has a very interesting skillset for what we need for the RW(as Saele alternative), but I also think we will see him a few times at AM.

I see people shitting on management because he needs some time to adjust, I don't understand this attitude. Let the player gel with the group and find himself, the season is long and it's not like we miss him right now. Saele is in excellent form.

Not shitting on management. He was a good low risk option. Shitting on the player for not being well prepared and fit.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sarri's team is typically really good in finding space to advance the ball forward with quick short passes. I prefer to be a bit conservative and more selective with the pressing.

Their weakness is when teams press their buildup. Guess what our biggest weapon is.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score

I hope he gets his chance on RW and has +20 assists.
Shittingn on management because they take a low risk gamble.
Yeah this happens here from time to time.

There?s not much to base an opinion of him off of, he only had one season in Serie A. Pioli did say he sees him as a right winger that can also play the AM if needed.
Im very interested in seeing what he can do.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Beacons

Light them

Now

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Matchday!!!!!! DAI DAI DAI!!!!!! ANDIAMO

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
I hope the no call-up for Giroud isn't a sign that Covid significantly fucked him.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
I hope the no call-up for Giroud isn't a sign that Covid significantly fucked him.

positive thoughts only in the match thread

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
These two weeks have felt like two damn years. And such a big game to look forward to as well...

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It's insane how much I love Milan I can't express my feeling towards this club. It's so special and unique

I want to be buried with red and black colors

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
The start of a special week. Let's win this.

Schedule