Official: Stefano Pioli Thread

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Can't wait til he wears a red turtleneck with black jacket. Boglioli custom design.

stefano-pioli-fiorentina-milan.jpg

iraqi

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
super pippo - rino - kaka' - ancelotti - rui costa - van bommel - maldini
Gigio
Calabria/Conti Durate R13 Theo
Bennacer
Kessie Paqueta
Rebic Piatek Leao

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
#calciopioli

go go go!

His win % at the last 3 clubs -
Lazio - 48%
Inter - 51%
Fiorentina - 36%

Hopefully, we will be close to Inter and Lazio and not Fiorentna :proud:

Last edited:

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I think he will do well. The squad is good enough, he's experienced enough and this is his real chance to show himself at a big club, it could even be his last, if he fails.

4th place is not certain, but I think it will be close. It will depend a lot on winter reinforcements too.

Our competitors are strong, but I think this year our depth is better and the squad is more flexible to formations.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I feel like a lot of Milan fans are wrong about Pioli... I for one think hes well suited to do well and even feel kind of confident. Not that I'm saying we'll reach top 4, but think we'll for sure be seeing a lot better things being produced by the players who are more than capable of doing so, but haven't shown it so far due to the man who looked like he barely had any pulse in him.

Welcome and all the best

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I feel like a lot of Milan fans are wrong about Pioli... I for one think hes well suited to do well and even feel kind of confident. Not that I'm saying we'll reach top 4, but think we'll for sure be seeing a lot better things being produced by the players who are more than capable of doing so, but haven't shown it so far due to the man who looked like he barely had any pulse in him.

Welcome and all the best

Not that I disagree with you. But the bolded part is not saying much, because Giampaolo somehow pissed on our players morale and almost everyone is under performing.

In regards to Pioli, I hope he can at least get us to a EL position and I feel like CL is still achievable with this squad if we can get back on track quickly. We will see his work with Lecce.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
The positives that I can say is that from all inerviews and quotes i've heard from him so far he at least doesn't sound like a GP style coach and his mentality and style already sound lightyears better than that tardbox GP. I think Pioli can have us battling for top 4. I think Spaletti would have gotten us there but at least Pioli might get us to at least challenge for it...

Well, now that there's nothing I can do about it, here's me becoming a fan again and willing to give support unless shit hits the fan again.

Good luck and Forza Pioli:star:

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I think Pioli has begun well by shrugging off the fan protest and focusing on the next ten days. I'm beginning to get that familiar feeling of excitement during the early days of a new manager.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I think Pioli has begun well by shrugging off the fan protest and focusing on the next ten days. I'm beginning to get that familiar feeling of excitement during the early days of a new manager.

At least we know one thing, Pioli doesn't appear to be a beta male cuck like GP, and that is a refreshing change of scenery

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
The sartorial improvement is incredible of course.

775c96aecb6bad7d1b00988cd8615198.jpg

Stitches

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Excuse me, I'll just go sleep in the refrigerator.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not that I disagree with you. But the bolded part is not saying much, because Giampaolo somehow pissed on our players morale and almost everyone is under performing.

In regards to Pioli, I hope he can at least get us to a EL position and I feel like CL is still achievable with this squad if we can get back on track quickly. We will see his work with Lecce.

Let me throw some reasons why I think he's a good fit

Players with a 433 but is adaptable to the players at his disposal. Used 4231 previously too. Having a coach w flexibility that won't waste our players potential is already a huge plus

Plays rather attacking football. Likes his teams to press and win the ball back quickly. Likes to have a lot of men running into the box, he highlighted that we need to do that a lot more in today's interview.

Good with youngsters and developing players

Despite a somewhat mid-table looking career, he had a very good spell at Lazio with them finishing 3rd. His win % at Inter was better than at Lazio and let's be honest they weren't exactly a stable squad 2 years ago. His Fiorentina team was pretty poor, but he finished 3 points behind Gasperini's Atalanta and showed some interesting ideas there.

Likes intensity and motivates players well. Apparently today's training was a lot tougher than seen so far this season.

I liked what he highlighted about individuals like Paqueta, Piatek and Suso (was asked specifically about them) he seems to understand their qualities and will try to work to get most out of them, rather than limiting them for DA SYSTEM

Sure I have doubts too... a few. On the good note he tends to do well in his first year, less so in the second (lol)

I would have felt safer w Spalletti but dont think this is a terrible appointment like its made out to be. Should check out J. Horncastle's word's about Pioli to Milan, v encouraging too.

Last edited:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Let me throw some reasons why I think he's a good fit

Players with a 433 but is adaptable to the players at his disposal. Used 4231 previously too. Having a coach w flexibility that won't waste our players potential is already a huge plus

Plays rather attacking football. Likes his teams to press and win the ball back quickly. Likes to have a lot of men running into the box, he highlighted that we need to do that a lot more in today's interview.

Good with youngsters and developing players

Despite a somewhat mid-table looking career, he had a very good spell at Lazio with them finishing 3rd. His win % at Inter was better than at Lazio and let's be honest they weren't exactly a stable squad 2 years ago. His Fiorentina team was pretty poor, but he finished 3 points behind Gasperini's Atalanta and showed some interesting ideas there.

Likes intensity and motivates players well. Apparently today's training was a lot tougher than seen so far this season.

I liked what he highlighted about individuals like Paqueta, Piatek and Suso (was asked specifically about them) he seems to understand their qualities and will try to work to get most out of them, rather than limiting them for DA SYSTEM

Sure I have doubts too... a few. On the good note he tends to do well in his first year, less so in the second (lol)

I would have felt safer w Spalletti but dont think this is a terrible appointment like its made out to be. Should check out J. Horncastle's word's about Pioli to Milan, v encouraging too.

Yea, after calming down and making it past the initial unpleasant feelings, Pioli is actually not the worst choice given the situation we are in.

Let's hope he can do what he did at Lazio

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
In the great scheme of things he seems to be much closer to Rino than to GP in terms of his ideas and working style.

BillyTheKid

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
This appointment is a disaster waiting to happen. Not because Pioli is shit but because he will have 0 fan support. Last season was incredible in terms of fan support and I believe a big part of it was because of the fans' love for Rino. Now imagine if we drop points against Lecce or even win but not convincing. Fans would forgive Rino but not this merda fan. Only rookie managers (like ours) could take such an unnecessary risk. I hope it pays off though, otherwise another season will be wasted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
If he wins, the fans will love him immediately

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
With the upcoming schedule things are not looking good...

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Seems like a likeable guy. Giampalos expressionless face gives me nightmares.

bluenine

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I have rather found memories of Pioli at Inter. He took over a team playing shite and turned them around very quickly by playing simple, attacking football. He couldn't handle the prima donnas in the locker room after a while, and couldn't adapt once his tactics got found out. But overall he did a decent job.

Now Pioli is taking over a young team with few egos, and low in confidence. Its ideal for him, this Milan side is better suited to him than Inter was. I expect him to turn Milan around very quickly. Pioli is a smart tactical coach and he rarely chooses a wrong lineup. He has very clear and simple ideas of how to play, much easier to implement that Giampaolo's system. While CL qualification may look difficult, its not outside the realm of possibility for Pioli.

IMO Spalletti would have been a less risky choice, but Pioli is not that bad - better suited than the recent few coaches Milan have had.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I have rather found memories of Pioli at Inter. He took over a team playing shite and turned them around very quickly by playing simple, attacking football. He couldn't handle the prima donnas in the locker room after a while, and couldn't adapt once his tactics got found out. But overall he did a decent job.

Now Pioli is taking over a young team with few egos, and low in confidence. Its ideal for him, this Milan side is better suited to him than Inter was. I expect him to turn Milan around very quickly. Pioli is a smart tactical coach and he rarely chooses a wrong lineup. He has very clear and simple ideas of how to play, much easier to implement that Giampaolo's system. While CL qualification may look difficult, its not outside the realm of possibility for Pioli.

IMO Spalletti would have been a less risky choice, but Pioli is not that bad - better suited than the recent few coaches Milan have had.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the insights, bluenine.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Welcome. Good luck. Don't dissapoint, get our shit together and get us that CL spot! Now that you're with us we stand behind you.

Forza Milan :heart:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
If he wins, the fans will love him immediately

Considering it's Lecce I expect a win but honestly as long as the team actually perform and play actual football for once I'd be happy. That in itself would be a huge step up.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Can't wait for the game

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If we perform at least as good as we did under Gattuso, I will consider this coaching change a success.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think he will do well. The squad is good enough, he's experienced enough

We have many good players, but there are some squad dilemmas that are impossible to avoid. And there will be RnB & Twitter whining over his player selection regardless of what route he takes.

Last year the team was only 1 point away from Top 4, but we've lost one of the keys to getting those clean sheets which the lethargic attack could lean back on.
Bakayoko was replaced by Bennacer who is simply not fit for the holding mid role in front of the defense, and I don't see the passing range(among other things) for a deep-lying playmaker role either. Don't get me wrong, he's clearly talented, but anchor is the not the role for him at this point in his career(and perhaps ever).
The post-injury Biglia was a huge downgrade from Baka, which prompted Rino to start him despite their differences, but even Biglia is a better option than Bennacer.

Then there's the Leao/Piatek dilemma.
We need a dependable CF, we need at least one reliable goal scorer.
Leao has outperformed Piatek in most aspects this season, but this is also because Piatek has been very poor in most aspects this season. We need his clinical finishing from last season back asap to have a chance at Top 4.
I think the best way to find balance with both of them on the pitch would be a 442/4411 - Leao in a free role behind Piatek.

Which brings us to the next problem.
We have plenty of players who prefer the left flank, but what about the right flank?
Suso has the left foot which has kept him off the bench, but he doesn't have the workrate which Pioli demands from his wingers. Would he bench him for Samu? That's very doubtful, at least for his initial 3-4 games.
A 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Paqueta's, Hakan's and Suso's characteristics in the wide roles is very different from Pioli's ideals.
He could also move one of the left flank players out of their favored flank, like Rebic, but I'm not sure that's the best option.

Paqueta, Hakan & Bona all provide good reasons to start them, and good reasons not to start them.

It's a puzzle and I have much more faith in Pioli figuring it out, than Giampaolo(and the coaches before him).

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

:thumbsup:
I think you're dropping too many conclusions from a small sample though.
He didn't start nor finish a season with Inter after all.
There's only so much that can be done with the limited players he had to work with in those 7 months.
Icardi's injury was a blessing in disguise for Vecchi in the final games of that season.