Ronaldinho World Player of the Year - Official

S

superman_1899

Hello guys,

Well the list is up, whats next? the anxiousness of who will win it, if your favourite player doesnt win, you would probably say the voters are blind, this and that.

And instead of seing the popular three names, (henry, sheva, ronaldinho), you would see the young (rooney, kaka, c.ronaldo or even milan baros) or the old (zidane, khan, maldini or cafu).

Well to me the award serve as a mere white elephant trophy. What happens is the player who wins it celebrate, the club celebrate, and all the huuu haaaa. In the end that player will be pressured to perform better this term. And the outcome may be a favourable or an adverse one.

Who ever wins it, it doesnt really matter, but of course the glamour and prestige will be there.

And since most you gave your points and prediction who will win it, ill go for the youngster, simply because they performed well throughout the season, both internationally and domestically.

But deep down every one of you, u know will know who should and who shouldnt win it.

Till then see ya.

P.S: those of you, who have a friendster account, please add me at superman_1899@hotmail.com :)

mikez sheva7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Rygaar said:
Shevchenko and particularly Henry are criticized for accomplishing little with their national squad this past year. What about Ronaldinho? He did nothing for Brazil beyond qualifiers; He wasn't called up for the Copa America and Brazil did not qualify for the olympics.

He was rested for the Copa America like many other stars simply because Copa America is not valued as highly in South America as Euro is in Europe. Copa America gives the national team coaches of big teams such as Brazil and Argentina to test some of their youngsters and see how they perform. As for the Olympics, it is only an under-23 tournament (with three older players) that loses its importance in the world of football with each upcoming olympics (Iraq's improbable run to the semi-finals proves that).
The fact of the matter is that when Ronaldinho plays for Brazil, he certainly makes an impact on the game. The same cannot be said about Henry and unfortunately also Shevchenko.

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Mikez Sheva7,

Your post only corroborate my point. Ronaldinho did not accomplish much with the national team this year. It's not his fault, but it is still true. The award is not based on the hypothetical, the "could have been". If Ronaldinho had been included, I don't doubt he would have excelled, but he wasn't and he didn't. In terms of national team (or club) accomplishments, Ronaldinho didn't do much this year.

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
(teams); Milan, Barca, Man Utd, South Melbourne
Ronaldo has one desevred 1 of his 3 imo.

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rivaldo, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta
Melbourne said:
Ronaldo has one desevred 1 of his 3 imo.

mmmm.....i know i am a bit bias :) towards Ronnie......but to be perfectly honest i think he has deserved all 3....especially his first 2. If Ronaldo didnt deserve those then Sheva and Henry certaintly dont deserve it this year cause Ronnie scored more goals than them in International aswell..

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
DonippoRuiShevdini said:
The winner of this award gets usually gets a lifetime supply of almond butter or a similar accolade.
Should Sheva win it this year En Sha Allah, would you reconsider this insatiable offer? :)

24.gif

Last edited:

mikez sheva7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Rygaar said:
Mikez Sheva7,

Your post only corroborate my point. Ronaldinho did not accomplish much with the national team this year. It's not his fault, but it is still true. The award is not based on the hypothetical, the "could have been". If Ronaldinho had been included, I don't doubt he would have excelled, but he wasn't and he didn't. In terms of national team (or club) accomplishments, Ronaldinho didn't do much this year.

It is not quite fair to non-European players who do not have the European tournament to compete in. And it is not their fault that not much importance is given to Copa America. Plus, there was nobody who performed particularly well in the Euro to fully deserve the honor, so in my opinion Ronaldinho seems the most logical choice. I'm not a huge Ronnaldinho fan and I would much rather see Sheva win it, but I'm just stating what seems fair to me.

pixiraver

Acmilan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldinho, okocha, shevchenko, inzaghi, maradona, romario
world best

currently ronaldinho is d best in d world ,it was be a serious crime for FIFA to give the award to someone else.

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rivaldo-11 said:
mmmm.....i know i am a bit bias :) towards Ronnie......but to be perfectly honest i think he has deserved all 3....especially his first 2. If Ronaldo didnt deserve those then Sheva and Henry certaintly dont deserve it this year cause Ronnie scored more goals than them in International aswell..
He only desevered the first.

And i agree, Sheva and Henry dont desevre it becasue Ronaldinho has been immence and should clearly win it.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
I would be delighted if Maldini wins it but if Sheva doesnt win this one then Fifa has some serious problems. I mean last yr Zidane won it for? he did nothing was injuried most of the time, dont get me wrong he is a great player but didnt come close IMO. Half the bloody coaches in the world probably put the vote for Zidane coz he's probably the only player they have heard of pfft!!!
If Sheva doesnt win it i dont consider this trophy as any importance.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Gatorbasu said:
Kyara and Passion,

You guys are right on money, IMO. DECO would get the node because he won the CL with PORTO and PORTUGAL went all the way in EURO final. Even though, as PASSION pointed out, he wasn't the only or even the main reason for success of either of those teams.

At the same time SHEVA was great domestically but didn't get a chance to impress internationally except CL, that too up to quarterfinal.

So, it's pretty balanced. But at the same time he has picked his form right at the nick of time and getting a lot of good press.

There is a 3 way tie currently between SHEVA, HENRY and DECO.

Of course, I want SHEVA to win it but it may do down the wire. BTW, SHEVA would have nailed it if we would have won the CL last season.

If one of the Milan players didnt win it when we won the CL and Coppa of 2003/2003 then i dont really consider Deco a realistic canidate

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
mikez sheva7 said:
It is not quite fair to non-European players who do not have the European tournament to compete in. And it is not their fault that not much importance is given to Copa America. Plus, there was nobody who performed particularly well in the Euro to fully deserve the honor, so in my opinion Ronaldinho seems the most logical choice. I'm not a huge Ronnaldinho fan and I would much rather see Sheva win it, but I'm just stating what seems fair to me.

I must concede you make a good point.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Ronaldinho made a greater impact than Sheva or Henry. Actually, if I recall correctly, he wasn't all that great during the first leg of the season. Anyone remembers his time at PSG ? Let's not even get there.. Even if 'past merits' shouldn't be made the basis of the vote, continuity should be taken into consideration + Ronaldinho really only burst on the scene last season, pretty much like Kaka', just a tad more impressively. He still is more of a flair player, while everyone just gushes over his tricks they conveniently disregard how self-indulgent his play often is. For some strange reason Davids was the engine behind Barcelona's impressive run last season, not Ronaldinho. In no way would Ronaldinho be *more* deserving of the award than Henry or Sheva.

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This award is voted on by all the international managers, is that correct?

In that case i dont have much repsect for it. Ronaldo and Zidane only win it on reputation. Maldini deseves one.

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dont the players, or captains of each side vote, but not for their own team-mates?

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Well like all Milan fans I want Sheva to win the award.I think that its
a race between him and Henry.About Ronaldinho I agree with Passion
cos' he did not have a good start last season but he had a good finish
but if you see Barca did not win anything so I think that he should not
be given the award.I think Ronaldinho will win the award in the future
but not this year.
GO SHEVA!

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
I don't think Ronaldinho made a greater impact than Sheva or Henry. Actually, if I recall correctly, he wasn't all that great during the first leg of the season. Anyone remembers his time at PSG ? Let's not even get there.. Even if 'past merits' shouldn't be made the basis of the vote, continuity should be taken into consideration + Ronaldinho really only burst on the scene last season, pretty much like Kaka', just a tad more impressively. He still is more of a flair player, while everyone just gushes over his tricks they conveniently disregard how self-indulgent his play often is. For some strange reason Davids was the engine behind Barcelona's impressive run last season, not Ronaldinho. In no way would Ronaldinho be *more* deserving of the award than Henry or Sheva.

Very good point. RONALDINHO played great for only half of the season and other half of the season he sucked like BARCELONA. Only DAVIDS inclusion made the huge difference of that BARCA team.

Kinda funny, why they let DAVIDS go ?? At the same time I thought that BARCA would start playing pretty bad this year since they got rid of DAVIDS. But certainly, I have been proven wrong. Then again, the season has just got started and it's a long season. So, I should give my verdict and concede my defeat yet !!

RONALDINHO breaks down the defense in a great flare but at the same time he loses a lot of ball in the midfield. But that is beside the point of this discussion but may play in the voters mind. Then again there are so many third world countries' coaches would be voting who only nods for the awe of the names such as ZIDANE or RONALDO or for this case RONALDINHO. May not go with the names such as SHEVA or HENRY or DECO. Out of the last 3 names, I guess HENRY has the most recognisition in the world.

BTW, coming back to the point, RONALDINHO doesn't deserve it. Rather HENRY, SHEVA played all through the season and should be up for the award. And as pointed out by many before, DECO would be in the run too for PORTO's success and PORTUGAL's successful run in EURO.

cccp

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko - KaKa - Maldini -Costacuta - Van Basten
Sheva has just scored a goal for Ukraina, one step further. Hope he will keep this pace (anyway, Ukraina held by Greece)

pixiraver

Acmilan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldinho, okocha, shevchenko, inzaghi, maradona, romario
ronaldinho

Passion for *9* said:

I don't think u r perfectly right about ronaldinho passion,to be sincere he has been more consistent as per team performance for both country and club,henry is still a local champ ,who only performes for arsenal and sheva only for milan,ronaldinho deserves to be the world best player in all sincerity.

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Haha, Ronaldinho? What has Ronaldinho done MORE and BETTER than Sheva??? Certaintly not in Internationals (considering Sheva cant perform on the big stage for them and Ronnie didnt even have that much of a noticeable impact for Brazil) and CERTAINTLY not in the Champions League - he wasnt even there.

By the way, for those who are saying Ronaldinho had an average first half of his first season with Barca - that counts for absolutely nothing because the World Player of the 'YEAR' begins on January 1, or December 21 something like that.

Still, I cant understand why Ronaldinho deserves it more Pixiraver?? Haha, or is it because you like Barca more and favour them? :)

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
I get the feeling that Sheva will be over looked and it will go to Henry or Deco.

Cescania

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini
Right, they are all voted among the coaches and captains. However coaches from small countries only know the big names like Henry, Ronaldino. Sheva is the best, but not very well known in those countries.

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
None, but thinking of some.
Cescania said:
Right, they are all voted among the coaches and captains. However coaches from small countries only know the big names like Henry, Ronaldino. Sheva is the best, but not very well known in those countries.
LOL, Professional coaches (even if in smaller countries) don't know Sheva? Man If they don't know Sheva who will they know? Sheva is one of the most popular players in the world. Henry is a bigger name than Sheva? Please. I know those people voting could be dumb but not so dumb not to know who Sheva is.:D

By the way I am sure that Sheva will get many Eastern European and former Soviet Unions countries votes. We all know who he is even though we might not be as big as China. :)

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hahaha yes i agree Biski, the Eastern Europeans will give their votes up for Sheva but then Henry has the rest of Europe and Ronaldinho has South America. But to be honest, Mourinho is perhaps the most well known Coach after his two years with Porto and some of the things he says :).....and he said Sheva is an outright winner.

So far, everysingle person i have heard talking about the WFOTY has said Sheva deserves it. ESPN's Tommy Smith, Derek Rae and Janusz alll say Sheva should win it :) although they are dumb....Mourinho says Shev should win it, and now even Deco said Sheva is his biggest rival. Hope this is a good omen and not a bad one.

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
None, but thinking of some.
Rivaldo-11 said:
the Eastern Europeans will give their votes up for Sheva but then Henry has the rest of Europe and Ronaldinho has South America.
I hope this doesn't turn out the way the Eurovision Song Contest always does :tongue:

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
HAHA yeh i think it will.....thats why IMO, i believe it should be only coaches, because i feel they will be less bias towards certain players than Captains of clubs would....but anyhow, whoever wins it should feel proud.

Schedule