Alessandro Costacurta Thread

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
I'm glad he is back but I certainly wouldn't start him in the derby. He is no way match fit.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I'm glad he is back but I certainly wouldn't start him in the derby. He is no way match fit.

Maybe they had a good gym/training program at Mantova ,could not be any worse then our all so perfect Milan lab.

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
hes probably still better than sederos... maybe we should give billy boy a run...

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
How come evrryone say like he failed? I get he resigned. (somehow feel it's because of personal reasons.

("it's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over..." -nofx

My favourite is "drinking beer too slow"?

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Here's an old ad with Billy and Baresi. The scenes of Billy in the shower and spraying himself with body spray were definite highlights for me.

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Billy at the Bagatti Valsecchi Palace in Milan

billy1.jpg

billy2.jpg

billy3.jpg

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
oh stand in cb for nesta :D

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I wanna go there as well.

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
oh stand in cb for nesta :D

yes, great idea, let Billy play when Sandro can't or bring back Paolo
I'm sure Billy and Paolo would be better than some of our other defensive back ups.:D

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Billy Costacurta

Happy Birthday Billy Costacurta

04/24/2010 13:30 by Vito Mazzuca

6c3b6c719924affcfb39fdd24a883342-1272106507.jpeg

© photo by Federico De Luca

The editors of Milannews.it wishes you a happy birthday to one of the invincible: Alessandro Costacurta. Billy turns 44 years today. Product of the nursery has Rossoneri debut in the Italian Cup in 1986. He wore the Rossoneri to 663 times by signing three networks. Congratulations Billy!

Happy Birthday Billy :)

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
What's up with this guy? Is he still a part of our organisation?

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Costacurta: the unexpected for the Rossoneri bench?

Costacurta: the unexpected for the Rossoneri bench?

05/18/2010 19:30 by Federico Gambaro
Source: sportmediaset

6c3b6c719924affcfb39fdd24a883342-76284-1274200171.jpeg

"There are three or four candidates to the bench: those who have said and also one currently without a contract, which you never thought." These words of Adriano Galliani today at a press conference held with sponsors Rossoneri. Thus starts the hunt for the "fourth man" who would be vying for the bench in Milan. "Sportmediaset" suggests that it is Billy Costacurta. There is in fact a background, dated 2007, which could indicate that more concrete would former central defensive Rossoneri. The day of his farewell to football, Adriano Galliani suggested to Silvio Berlusconi an important task in society. In particular, with AC Milan Costacurta asked his deputy to act as the glue between Milanello, then the team, via Turati, or the management. The President, however, said no right away because Billy had other ideas, was to become a coach. Hence, perhaps this desire for presidential decision to enroll in the course of Billy Coverciano to obtain the license. Costacurta would in other words an old ball of Berlusconi. For his beautiful image, but also for his charisma and the excellent relationship with the Senators team.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
NO NO NO

the oldies will continue to play in the squad, love you billy but i want a tough SOB as our coach who can bench these old metronomes

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Costacurta: "It was difficult to coach AC Milan"

Costacurta: "It was difficult to coach AC Milan"

29/06/2010 12:00 Paul Pinto

627ee9cf59a882befd22ff723fc01f56-76284-1277771853.jpeg

Host of the show "Football Special" broadcast on Sky Sports, the former AC Milan defender Alessandro Costacurta has wavered when asked if he had been contacted by AC Milan to take the lead in technology in the next season, driving then was assigned to Allegri and said.

"It was difficult to train with AC Milan also because many of them I've played and would not be easy to manage those that were, until a few years ago, your teammates. Frankly, I have to say that there was a time I felt the feeling that I could be me the Milan coach. "

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Costacurta set to replace Casirgahi?

Milan legend Billy Costacurta is among the favourites to replace Pierluigi Casiraghi, the beleaguered Italy Under-21 Coach.

Casiraghi saw his side throw away a respectable 2-0 aggregate lead against Belarus last night in the European Championship Play-off.

They lost 3-0 and will miss out on the Euros and London 2012.

La Gazzetta dello Sport understands that Arrigo Sacchi will be involved in the decision-making process to find a successor.

Italy Under-20 boss Francesco Rocca has been mooted for a promotion, but his candidacy is already below a pile of bigger names.

Costacurta, Gianfranco Zola, Beppe Bergomi and Davide Ballardini are the frontrunners, but it seems that Italy Under-19 Coach Daniele Zoratto is the absolute favourite.

When asked about the recruitment drive, FIGC President Giancarlo Abete said: “It's not the moment [to talk about it].”

http://www.football-italia.net/oct13d.html

Hope Billy gets the job!

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Costacurta set to replace Casirgahi?

Milan legend Billy Costacurta is among the favourites to replace Pierluigi Casiraghi, the beleaguered Italy Under-21 Coach.

Casiraghi saw his side throw away a respectable 2-0 aggregate lead against Belarus last night in the European Championship Play-off.

They lost 3-0 and will miss out on the Euros and London 2012.

La Gazzetta dello Sport understands that Arrigo Sacchi will be involved in the decision-making process to find a successor.

Italy Under-20 boss Francesco Rocca has been mooted for a promotion, but his candidacy is already below a pile of bigger names.

Costacurta, Gianfranco Zola, Beppe Bergomi and Davide Ballardini are the frontrunners, but it seems that Italy Under-19 Coach Daniele Zoratto is the absolute favourite.

When asked about the recruitment drive, FIGC President Giancarlo Abete said: “It's not the moment [to talk about it].”

http://www.football-italia.net/oct13d.html

Hope Billy gets the job!

+1
He couldn't be worse than Casiraghi :D

E

Esoteric

I always thought he should be a good coach ( and even suggested his name when we needed a coach in the summer). I don't know if he will though, but every time I hear him he seems like a very reasonable man. One of the best footballers to listen to actually. He must be wise enough. :D Anyway if he does coach any team I hope he succeeds.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
"Sacchi didn't even let us laugh"

Alessandro Costacurta (Varese, Italia; 1966) hang up his boots on may 2007. With 41 years and 663 games with Milan's shirt. There was only one game left. He asked the club to loan him San Siro to organize a farewell game with his best friends. "The butcher, the guy from the gas station, the one from management, the baker..., people that have grown with me and had never been to San Siro" explains the defender.

Q. What have you done in the past 3 years?
A. I've tried to be a coach. Now I'm working at Sky. I loved trainning, but my wife travels a lot, and I need to be with my son, Achille, 6 years old. Being on tv helps me out with that, being a coach not.
Q. Does time pass by faster now that you aren't playing?
A. It goes much more slower. I like it. A dear friend of mine, a phylosopher, says that there's nothing more beautiful than being bored. He is right. I've lived without having time for myself, and I've become a person that tries to get bored even if I can't do it.

Q. What did you look at your window when you were a kid?
A. I lived near Malpensa airport. I saw a football field. More than a football field it was a praire. We inveted the goal posts. That's where it all started.
Q. Were you always a defender?
A. The first time that I went to a real team I asked to be played as a sweeper. At 8, I thought a sweeper was the one that could play at any position: forward, midfielder, winger, defender...and no; in reality he was the last defender. I had asked for it already, so I had to deal with it, but early on I didn't like it at all.
Q. And you dealt with it till you were 41.
A. I was lucky that I never had any big injury. I talk alot with Paolo (Maldini): nothing had ever happened to our cruciate ligaments. Well it helps when you have a controlled life: not drinking much and not smoking.

Q. Who did you looked up as a kid?
A. Franco Baresi. All of the young defenders of Milan loved Franco. He debuted in the first team the year that I started in the younger teams. We all wanted to be Baresi because he was young, smart and tremendously good. And he got along amazingly well with all of the young kids. I always stayed watching him train.
Q. Did Tassotti, Baresi, Maldini and you hang out outside the field?
A. I went out and still do just with Maldini. Tassotti and Baresi in those days were married already and they were 7 years older. Paolo and I used to go out to flirt around in clubs, but they couldn't keep up with our rhythm.
Q. Who yell out the most?
A. Baresi. In reality, we prefered to yell during trainnings. With the automatisms we had, we didn't really need to talk.

Q. You work on that or is natural?
A. You work on it. There's no other way to achieve that than with trainnings.Sacchi believed a lot on that. In his first 5 months he had all four of us working one more hour.
Q. What did you do?
A. He placed the forwards and made us repeat time and time again the offside. He didn't stop. He insisted in protecting the ball, in double marking, and supporting the closest teamate.
Q. Was he a pain?
A. Yes. Specially at the begging. Just imagine players of the quality of Baresi and Maldini working in the tiniest detail day after day. It was a hard to understand situation for people of that quality. They were used to stop the rival with their strenght and talent. They didn't need anything more.Till we finally understood him...he was sooo right!
Q. How were the pre-match concentrations with him?
A. A pain. He demanded concetration since the day before. He didn't even wanted us to laugh during dinners. No kinds of noise.
Q. And with Capello?
A. He was more simple. He made us laugh. He wanted concentration, but till the minute we got to the stadium, we were able to laugh and joke around till we got to the dressing room door. You couldn't do that with Sacchi.
Q. Did you ever talk that with him?
A. Of course. He was completely convinced, and even if we didn't like it, looking at the results, he was right. With Sacchi and his rules we won playing pretty. With Capello we won, but maybe not in such a pretty way. It's complicated now to go and tell Sacchi "You were a nut and a pain banning laughing and joking around during meals". It's hard to criticize a winning idea.

Q. You had many different coaches. From outside, how do you see Mourinho and Guardiola?
A. I see Guardiola like a person that commands, in a very inteligent way, a team team that is built on a tradition. I met him, I like him, he is a nice guy, educated. If I have to choose between both, I go with him. But I realize that Guardiola is driving a car that was built by others. Mourinho, on the other hand, out of nowhere builts fantastic teams. His a born winner, more than Guardiola.

Q. Speaking of tradition, have Milan lost it?
A. Yes. With Maldini's good-bye we have lost that way of thinking. We were part of a group of italians that were born 20 years before. There was a way of thinking. There were certain ways of behaving that were an obligation, and you took care of them. Now with the brazilians, not so much. It's all a bit more simple.
Q. What you're talking about?
A. We had an schedule that we had to respect. If you were found at a club at 3 am, they took away your league bonus. I had to do it once. I took part of a teamate's bonus during the 1999-2000 season, when we won the league. I realized he had went partying.

Q. Why there's no more bandieras?
A. Maldini, Baresi and I were from Milan. It was easy staying in your city's club, even more so if it was the best team in the world. More than the colors, we felt the family. By family, I mean the club, the team, everything.
Q. Zanetti is not from Milan, he spend years without winning nothing, and decided to stay at Inter...is it possible nowadays?
A. Yes. It's not hard feeling the colors of a team. Many times its not up to the player. In my days, if you had a bad season, no one put you in the market. They supported you, you were given the right to improve. Now that bearly happens. Look at Ibrahimovic. I think he liked Barcelona. But when the coach says "you can leave"...well it's hard. I think things go too fast these days.

Q. Have you seen many the times the video of the 5-0 against Madrid?
A. Just a few times.
Q. How were Butragueño and Hugo Sánchez?
A. For me, they were the first forwards to play together. They were very close, one always ahead of the other. It's normal now, but they were the first ones to do it 20 years ago. It was hard to stop them.
Q. The forward that has drived you crazy?
A. Ronaldo when he arrived at Inter. I've never seen anyone like him.
Q. You've won 5 Champions...the most special one?
A. The first one, because there were 90 000 Milan fans at Nou Camp. The path from the hotel to the stadium is unforgettable. The final against Juve, on the other hand, I remember because of the tension.

Q. Where did your boots ended up?
A. Mine in the trash can. I used them till I couldn't. Kaka, for example, used to give them to charity.
Q. Does your kid likes football?
A. No way! When I pass him a ball, he grabs it with his hand and tries to score a basket. I believe he'll end up playing at the Barca basketball team.
Q. You collect art. Do you have many at your place?
A. Each time I won a title, I bought myself a painting. The last one was a Damien Hirst, a skull, valued at 30 000 euros.
Q. Any footballer you hated?
A. Materazzi and Hugo Sánchez. Sánchez did many things in the field that were unacceptable. He liked to provoke. He dived, insulted. I have never liked him.

Last edited:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
awesome^^^

thanks shawtie

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Great interview. Fucking glorious human.

Thanks, c4SPSS.

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Andriy Shevchenko, and Filippo Inzaghi
Q. Did Tassotti, Baresi, Maldini and you hang out outside the field?
A. I went out and still do just with Maldini. Tassotti and Baresi in those days were married already and they were 7 years older. Paolo and I used to go out to flirt around in clubs, but they couldn't keep up with our rhythm.

Q. Any footballer you hated?
A. Materazzi and Hugo Sánchez. Sánchez did many things in the field that were unacceptable. He liked to provoke. He dived, insulted. I have never liked him.

I laughed at these for ages. Thanks for posting

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Great interview, Billy speaks a lot of truth.....

Kind of makes me miss the days when football was simpler really...

Sadly IMO, the only big club with a real culture and identity (as much as I may dislike the arrogance) is Bartha. Man Utd might somewhat, but Glazers have killed that and when fergie leaves its all gone. I see Galliani trying his best to reestablish it, but it seems kind of 10 years too late with the youth development movement.

Then again, I think it's just a direct insult at Ronaldinho really, cause Billy liked kaka and spoke well about him. More those whose professionalism he questions...

Thanks C4SM84

Edity: The more I think about it.... the brazilian party criticism is more a direct criticism of Galliani and Berlusconi for losing club ideals or not enforcing them...

Last edited:

Marcus

Costacurta Groupie
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Pazzini, MENEZ
Thanks a lot for translating that crazy4milan. An excellent read.

You have to love Billy. He, along with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini were what made me love Milan. Excellent personalities and great players. Legends.

I miss the old days...

kriegpaolo_23

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Sheva, Kaka, Dida, Ambrosini, Nesta, T.Silva
sorry for being a n00b but why do people call him "Billy"?

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
What is Billy doing now?

Schedule