English Premier League Thread II

Who will win the EPL title this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So anybody watched the first half of Chelsea-Fulham?Just tuned in 0-0 at ht apparently.Curious to see how was Torres doing.

One of very few Chelsea players who did good in 1st half. Had their best chance(volley) early in the half, which the GK saved. Couldn't have done much better in that situation though. Assisted Mata's goal in the 2nd half. Not the most brilliant assist, but still. They moved Torres to the right side(RW) when Drogba came in, where he looked frustrated/lost and played like shit. AVB should've taken him out instead of Sturridge since he's a great winger, but probably didn't want to completely ruin Torres. Nothing Torres seemed to appreciate though since he made it obvious he didn't want to play in that position.

Overall: 6.0/10

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Chelsea's problem is that they're playing a high attacking line with Terry, who's a slow CB and Luiz is still reckless. Cole isn't the player he was either, nor is Cech. Their 2 best players recently have been Mata and Sturridge. For me they need to change the system, to something like:

--------------------Cech--------------------

WC RB-------Luiz*---------Terry---------Cole

-------------Essien--------WC CM-----------
--------------------Mata--------------------
Sturridge---------------------------------WC LW
-------------------Drogba---------------------

*Won't get sold.

Lampard is a top player but again he isn't the player he was, and more importantly Mata has outshone him when he's played in the centre.

AVB needs to play that systen for the remainder of the season (4-2-3-1). When Drogba goes away for the ACN he needs to put Mata in behind Torres and use it as Torres' final chance. If he doesn't perform he should be off.

Obviously Modric is their main target + it will be near impossible to sign him if Spurs get in the top 4, unless they make an offer of 40M as a minimum (possibly 40M + say Meireles).

Has Alvez signed a new contract at Barcelona? There were rumours that he wanted to come to the EPL. God knows Chelsea need a bit of pace aswell. I also think they should go for Sneijder who we know is available for 35M-ish and he's the type of dream signing Abramovic licks his lips over, and then you could keep Mata on the left. If you've got Modric, Sneijder and Mata in the same 11 then you've got unlimited creativity, but as I said signing Modric is almost an impossible dream.

There has been stories that Abramovic is giving ABV 150M to spend. Whether that's true or not I don't know but I'm sure he'll give AVB a lot of backing. Alex and Anelka are about to be offloaded and Mikel, Feirerra + Kalou need to be sold (i.e dead weight).

If Torres is to be sold then they should look for some young striker who is destined to be world class but will accept playing 2nd fiddle to Drogba for atleast a season or 2.

Last edited:

Rosoner91

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Sheva, Pippo, Nesta, Maldini, Rino, Ronaldo(bra), Maradona, Drogba, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Falcao

VdV-------Luiz*---------Terry---------Cole

-------------Essien--------Modric-----------
Sturridge---------------------------------Neymar/Hulk

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Pretty much agree with MUF

Chelsea's problems all stem from Villas Boas making the cardinal sin.... playing a system which doesn't suit his personnel.

Luiz could play a highline, if he had someone who is capable of dropping back and cleaning up like Silva (they do well in brazil for ex.). Terry is not that.

His whole front line and midfield (bar a couple guys like mata, merieleS) are in capable of the pressing system.

It's just generally poor coaching/managing. I know what he WANTS to do, but he needs to be realistic with what he's got.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players

VdV-------Luiz*---------Terry---------Cole

-------------Essien--------Modric-----------
Sturridge---------------------------------Neymar/Hulk

Van Der Vart?

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Pretty much agree with MUF

Chelsea's problems all stem from Villas Boas making the cardinal sin.... playing a system which doesn't suit his personnel.

Luiz could play a highline, if he had someone who is capable of dropping back and cleaning up like Silva (they do well in brazil for ex.). Terry is not that.

His whole front line and midfield (bar a couple guys like mata, merieleS) are in capable of the pressing system.

It's just generally poor coaching/managing. I know what he WANTS to do, but he needs to be realistic with what he's got.

I agree, but I think the sort of football he plays comes from Abramovic. It's no secret that he doesn't like the old, physical Chelsea. So I imagine he brought in Villas Boas (And Ancelotti), to play a more offensive kind of football, with more possession and more ball-players, like he did at Porto. The players they brought in are these type of players to his credit. Mata is very good technically, so is Meireles, it hasn't worked yet, but they're the right kind of players to play the system they have in Porto. If I were Abramovic, I'd give him a bag full of money and stick with him. You can't just change the whole philosophy of a club in 6 months, it takes time and money.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This is a dreadful game. Pulis' concessions to fashion are ruining Stoke.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What did you expect from a Villa-Stoke game?:lol:

The game would be much more interesting if they would just play like Stoke. They keep trying to pass the ball, which is just silly.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Finished Gary Neville's book the other day - he said the only team he ever dreaded playing in the league was the Arsenal side of 1998 with Adams, Vieira, Petit, Overmars and Anelka. Also said that the Invincibles were overated and the main reason why they would things was because teams let them play. Whenever teams got stuck in they hated it and complained about anti football (Wenger once called Fletcher an anti-footballer). Also said that whilst Mourinho's side were a scary machine, no one at United feared Anchelotti's Chelsea. All the players knew that if United played like they can + have a bit more luck then Chelsea wouldn't be able to live with them, and whilst most people talked about how many goals they scored everyone seemed to overlook how many games they lost.

He also said that after United beat the Invincibles + Arsenal players decided to throw food at Fergie (I think it was Fabregas and/or Cole, but could be wrong), the United players armed themselves with food + other things and every one of them was about to go and murder (food fight style :cool:) the Arsenal players until Fergie told them to leave it and sit down. That would have been awesome. Feckin Fergie :head:

Random post, but I think it's interesting to read his take on all his rivals. Also said that the 3 toughest opponents he faced were Figo, Del Piero + Ginola, and that there was an international game where England lost to Italy and after the match Neville knocked on the Italian dressing room door because he wanted Maldini's autograph, and instead Maldini invited Neville inside and spent 10 minutes casually talking to him.

The best thing he said was that in Turkey Cantona wanted to go outside and fight all the riot police on his own :lol:

Reading Scholes' book atm, and it's mind numbingly boring so far :(

I agree, but I think the sort of football he plays comes from Abramovic. It's no secret that he doesn't like the old, physical Chelsea. So I imagine he brought in Villas Boas (And Ancelotti), to play a more offensive kind of football, with more possession and more ball-players, like he did at Porto. The players they brought in are these type of players to his credit. Mata is very good technically, so is Meireles, it hasn't worked yet, but they're the right kind of players to play the system they have in Porto. If I were Abramovic, I'd give him a bag full of money and stick with him. You can't just change the whole philosophy of a club in 6 months, it takes time and money.

Abramovic has being trying to change the philosophy for 6 years, not 6 months :tongue:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
The game would be much more interesting if they would just play like Stoke. They keep trying to pass the ball, which is just silly.

Oh i see,like a upgraded version of Tenis:D

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
2 things Villa are doing horribly wrong: 1. pointless passing followed by unplanned long ball; and 2. Agbonlahor as hilariously unsuited classic no.10.

As for Stoke, Jones and Walters have been winning their headers. Why not go long more often? Ideas above their station.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That game sent shivers down my spine :proud:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
great goals by berbatov wow

his second..wow

he should leave man utd

Gio

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Gattuso, Nesta, Kaká, Cafu, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Ambrosini, Sheva, Stam, Totti, R9
Extremely harsh red card for Wigan. Simple tussle + the guy elbowed Carrick but I didn't think it was deliberate. If that's a red then Dempsey should have been given a 5 match ban for last week. It's not like Carrick went rolling around either - he stayed on his feet and just held his face.

Berbatov 2-0. Game over. Ref has ruined the game.

Yep, Wigan were playing pretty well it seemed. Manu were gonna win it but not with this much ease, super 2nd goal by Berba though.

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu
Did Fergie use Berba in CL?

I'm doubting this old man's ability recently.

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
hardly - though he did start v Benfica at home, and scored (2-2 draw it finished)

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
unlucky for arsenal, the keeper had a fantastic game.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
ramsey is sooooo handsome. :) but y u no start him arsene??? and where the fuck is walcott?

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
unlucky for arsenal, the keeper had a fantastic game.

yeah, arsenal played well and had many opportunities. I think 80 % of the second half was played in the wolve's penalty area :lol:

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
Draw for Arsenal, great game from the Wolves keeper.
One more game for Van Pussy to try and make history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule