Champions league final: AC Milan v Juventus!!

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I can still picture in my head Shevchenko's glance at the referee before the last shootout round. He was avoiding eye contact with Buffon OMG.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Nesta's penalty :proud:

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
WOW what a final.... man that is gonna be one hell of a game. The two teams are probably on the same level - just as good as each other. This is a harder match than Real but who cares we're in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL!!!!! :D :D :D

Ban for saying we're on the same level

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
Am jealous you got to watch this live in person.

This was a great Milan team - I watched and taped the CL matches on VHS. I can't believe I don't have those anymore.

For the final I remember walking back home from uni that evening to watch the match on my own as most of my close friends were predictably EPL fans and I just wanted some peace and quiet.

I bumped into an acquaintance I played football with and since he was an AC Milan fan who was also looking for a calm place to watch, we went back to my place, ordered Domino's Pizza and watched it on my tiny 14 inch TV.

We should have won in normal time but penalties made for a nail biting finale. Having grown up on the highs of the all-conquering Dutch trio Milan and then Capello's Milan and the lows of the wilderness years it was a great feeling to be back on top of the world where we truly belonged.

Similar story, but I watched it with 2 of my buddies who knew nothing about football. More hockey and the other football types. They saw how pumped I had been all of that season as we swept aside Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, and they decided to watch the Final. Not the greatest advert for a neutral admittedly.

We were also huddled around my crappy 20-inch tv. Good times.

That following summer, I saved up from my part-time job to get the Nesta away jersey, official name and number. Priorities. :)

I saw this game live, it was one of the best days of my life.. I arrived at the stadium 5 minutes before kick off and both sets of fans had their choreography on display it was like a fantasy. I had a French exam the same morning of the match and I flew all the way to England and then to Manchester and thank the good lord that Milan won the match.

It was the greatest period of my life, the victory was made sweeter when you recall the path we took to reach the final, we had some tough matches vs the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, Real Madrid, Depor.. I was still a teenager but all I could think about those years were AC Milan and how they were returning to greatness. I even remember the summer of 2002 I was at a friend's basement on a holiday and I spent all day refreshing the predecessor to goal.com (forgot the name) to see if Milan were going to sign anyone and that was the season they bought Rivaldo and Nesta on deadline day.

This is incredible.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Similar story, but I watched it with 2 of my buddies who knew nothing about football. More hockey and the other football types. They saw how pumped I had been all of that season as we swept aside Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, and they decided to watch the Final. Not the greatest advert for a neutral admittedly.

We were also huddled around my crappy 20-inch tv. Good times.

That following summer, I saved up from my part-time job to get the Nesta away jersey, official name and number. Priorities. :)

That's really cool that you had such a similar experience. :) At the risk of sounding like an old fogie, I have to say things meant more when one has a lot less in terms of finances and entertainment, like it did back in those days.
There is also a lot to say about being youthful and passionate, although having loved AC Milan for more than 30 years the flame still burns bright.

Great choice of jersey and also commitment to save up to get it! I only got my first jersey a few years later in 2005, the summer after graduating, once I was earning money from my first full time job - it was the home Gilardino one (yes, I know - I thought he was The One!), couldn't afford anything before that!

Last edited:

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
That's really cool that you had such a similar experience. :) At the risk of sounding like an old fogie, I have to say things meant more when one has a lot less in terms of finances and entertainment, like it did back in those days.
There is also a lot to say about being youthful and passionate, although having loved AC Milan for more than 30 years the flame still burns bright.

Great choice of jersey and also commitment to save up to get it! I only got my first jersey a few years later in 2005, the summer after graduating, once I was earning money from my first full time job - it was the home Gilardino one (yes, I know - I thought he was The One!), couldn't afford anything before that!

I completely agree. My first jersey was the 2001/02 home one, but that was a gift. And no shame in thinking Gila was the one. I still remember that protracted transfer negotiation.

I think it would be worth it to have a section where people can post stuff from their Milan/football collection? Not just jerseys, but all sorts of memorabilia. Maybe I will start one.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
I completely agree. My first jersey was the 2001/02 home one, but that was a gift. And no shame in thinking Gila was the one. I still remember that protracted transfer negotiation.

I think it would be worth it to have a section where people can post stuff from their Milan/football collection? Not just jerseys, but all sorts of memorabilia. Maybe I will start one.

The 2001/2002 jersey was a nice one to get. The only AC Milan jersey I ever received as a gift was the 2009/2010 one.

Great idea regarding a section for memorabilia. I don't have the Gila jersey anymore though. I gave it to an ex. I mistakenly thought she was The One too. I thought even though I gave it to her it would be with me forever. Nothing better than seeing your woman in the good old red and black. It was a real shame because on top of everything else that 2005/2006 jersey was one of my favourite designs ever, probably only second to the old mediolanum era Dutch trio jersey.