Champions League Group Stage: AC Milan - Porto FC 03/11/2021 18:45 CET

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
We really need a fast offensive threat aside from Leao.
+100

We lack quality upfront. We need a RW Leao and Rebic and a Mobile fast striker upfront that would allow us to play fast when our build up is disrupted.

The Champions League has exposed the limitations of our squad to be honest. We need a Starting level striker, RW and CAM for next season and that is if we keep all out good players.

We shouldn’t get carried away by Serie A teams who have a slow play style. We need real quality upfront

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We will build upon this demise in the Champions League. We will do all we can to be back here again next season. This is a mission.

Ditch the last two matches. Play the youth team in both.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's the worst case scenario for me. Still a small hope and it's out of our hands. Even if we beat both Atleti and Liverpool, we still need Atleti and Porto to draw. So frustrating. I don't want to feel the regret of doing that and then one of those two wins it in the end and we end up 3rd and in the EL...

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
I think we really struggled today mainly because we hardly play against teams that can defend with an organized high defensive line. This was also the reason why we lost the first match vs Porto as well. In Italy, teams sit back and counter whereas other top European teams are willing to risk space behind and press effectively high up the pitch. We were basically denied our build up play which we do well in Italy but our weaknesses were exposed by a team that was better than us technically and in some ways physically.

This is why we need to be able to readapt during games to a new strategy, which has been the advantage for Italian teams in Europe for many years. I think Saelemakers or Brahim should have dropped back as a third central mid effectively playing 4-3-3. Porto basically made us play bad, Theo was caught out of position and generally there was a missing connecter between defence and attack.

These European matches you need to be really sharp technically, the best example is Ajax who just dismantled Dortmund once again. Their excellent technical abilities means they can avoid engaging in an exhausting physical battle. Their passing and ball control was sharp. This is how you beat teams like Porto and Liverpool. This was how Milan dominated European football in the past. You cannot rely on grinta alone.
Agreed. I feel like we got pressed by an energetic, strong, fast team and it always throws us off. Need these experiences to grow though.

VillaiN

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
While we got hardest possible group i think it shows what we must work on. Also our core players re growing. Seria a s joke compared to cl.
We missed rebic more than we thought. Also our right side s so weak. Salad and calabria re not going to cut it. At least better rw s a must. Get Alvarez Maldini pls.
Hopefully with alvarez, adli and some mobile striker im sure we ll be much stronger. I d love adeyemi. Is he bound to Bayern?

Kaka06/07

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Saelemaekers
Its definitely a learning year. Hopefully we get a win. In the end we felt it this year and will be back next year really ready to compete.

Buske

Milan Icon
Reaction score
You can have a bad period in a game, and the ref can be bad at the same time.

Many times, by not conceding in your bad spots, that's how good teams win games. When the ref fucks you over, that makes it difficult.
While i agree it could have been called a foul, they were also a better team over the course of 180min.
Even in this last game, i would argue they were more sharp, had better chances and in general played better.

Even Maldini said 1-2 years ago, our team has to learn to play in Europe, because in europe you don't get a foul for every contact like in Serie A. I wish i could find that interview.

Last edited:

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
That Maldini corner.

boss85

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Boban, Weah, Nesta, Shevchenko, Kaka, Inzaghi
It's the worst case scenario for me. Still a small hope and it's out of our hands. Even if we beat both Atleti and Liverpool, we still need Atleti and Porto to draw. So frustrating. I don't want to feel the regret of doing that and then one of those two wins it in the end and we end up 3rd and in the EL...
I do not get people who are against us trying to at least get EL and then try to go deep in the competition, and it seems it is a majority of fans... If anything this CL campaign has shown that it is glaringly obvious this team needs European experience and learn how to play, with focus, two competitions at the same time. Going for the win in the EL would be great growing experience for this young team and would help them be more ready for next year when we are supposed to try to make a bigger impact in the CL and hopefully reach the knock outs and be competitive with the best teams. If you are not capable of competing for the scudetto and at the same time being focused on games in Europe then you are just not good enough. So sick of Milan being an average , if not below average team in Europe, whether CL or EL. It is embarrassing to our glorious European history. Man up and fight 100% in very game to win and represent Milan properly on the European stage

Rossonero81

The Magic Eagle
Reaction score
For me it is clear that Leao, Rebic, Diaz and naturally Zlatan have the quality needed to make a difference in this team. Giroud hasn't convinced me thus far. He has been unlucky in some games, but he doesn't offer enough in the attacking phase to make up for a lack of speed. Saelemaekers hasn't progressed enough to be considered a starter and doesn't have a good competitor. To make a leap in quality we need attacking enforcements in January and next summer.

- CF: Zlatan: will he be here next season and how many games will he be able to play?
- CF: Giroud: not a good fit for this team, because he's an alternative to an aging striker.
- CF: Pellegri: can't be considered as a serious option.
- RW: Castillejo: nice guy, but not enough quality (even for a bench role).
- RW: Saelemaekers: a decent player, but only as a second option.
- AM: Adli: can he be a serious alternative to Diaz?

Aside from the above, I wonder what our long-term plans are with Rebic. At the moment, both Leao and Rebic are too good for either one to be benched. If Rebic will keep on playing a big chunk of games as a CF, we might need an alternative to Leao on the left.

We need at least two serious quality injections up front to be competitive in Europe next year. It's great to have Zlatan, but the CF position will be a major point of attention for next season. For the RW position we need someone that can start ahead of Alexis.

I've talked about Belotti in the last couple of days and I think he would be a good replacement to Giroud as a second choice striker next season. He could battle with young, all-round CF with speed and potential. I wouldn't want him as a first choice with Giroud as a second option, but the fact that his contract is running out makes him a viable option to look at.

Maybe we can take a young promising striker, Belotti and a quality RW.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I do not get people who are against us trying to at least get EL and then try to go deep in the competition, and it seems it is a majority of fans... If anything this CL campaign has shown that it is glaringly obvious this team needs European experience and learn how to play, with focus, two competitions at the same time. Going for the win in the EL would be great growing experience for this young team and would help them be more ready for next year when we are supposed to try to make a bigger impact in the CL and hopefully reach the knock outs and be competitive with the best teams. If you are not capable of competing for the scudetto and at the same time being focused on games in Europe then you are just not good enough. So sick of Milan being an average , if not below average team in Europe, whether CL or EL. It is embarrassing to our glorious European history. Man up and fight 100% in very game to win and represent Milan properly on the European stage
I agree with you. I think I was just jealous at Inter having so much prep time last season and I think it was a big factor why they went on their insane run second half of the season.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Faivre and Antony are now my dream signings… Faivre for AM and Antony RW… keep Rebic as the starting striker

Maignan

Calabria Kjaer Tomori Theo

Bennacer Adli

Antony Faivre Leao

Rebic

You need skillful, fast players for the CL ..

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
About the striker discussions. I see many people shitting on Giroud again, but he really has some tough luck. In the last games he played the whole team was either off or played very defensive or bad which really hurts any striker. No striker can really do anything if he doesn't get any decent balls.

IMO Giroud had a decent game yesterday and really wasn't that, had a great shot on goal, was heavily involved in the goal (he drew the foul and was discussing with Tonali and Bennacer before the free kick what to do, look how he immediately slips away to get the ball and shoot on goal (that was planned), the rebound then resulted in the goal). Besides that he had some good passes and flicks, but sadly no one was up to it and could do anything, the three behind him had an off day. I don't think he could've done so much more, obviously he can/should be even better, but I think he'll get back to it.

Ibra had a great game against Roma, but that wasn't only because of him, we dominated that game before the red card, so obviously it's easier for the striker if the whole team is performing. Giroud on the other hand lately has bad luck as I said already, either coming on after/before we're a man down and he ends up isolated or the whole team is off and he gets no decent service (both Porto games for example), still scored two goals in the last games. Not even Lewandowski could do much more in such games and he is a WC striker.

As much as I hate international brakes, I think we really that one to get some players back (Rebic, Messias, Casti) and give others a rest or get them back into top form. Our wingers (Leao, Saele) run a lot and they play all the time, they need a rest, that's one reason why our offense is so off and obviously when the whole team messes up the easiest passes then how shall we get any good chances. Theo had some good runs but I really don't get it why he doesn't pass the ball, instead just runs until he loses the ball or maybe gets a foul.

I don't like shitting on any of our players, I support them all and yesterday Giroud certainly wasn't the worst, it's really embarassing what some "fans" write on social media. Criticism is alright, but just fully shitting on any player is uncalled for, esp. if the whole team wasn't that good. Social media can be so toxic nowadays, people hiding behind their screens, that's what's really pissing me off.

Forza Milan!
P.s: I still believe we can get through this group and if not, I would also take EL. I'd rather get far in EL or better win that shit instead of having nothing but Serie A. Even in EL you have tough/big teams every season and every game against strong opponents is good for our growth.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
For me it is clear that Leao, Rebic, Diaz and naturally Zlatan have the quality needed to make a difference in this team. Giroud hasn't convinced me thus far. He has been unlucky in some games, but he doesn't offer enough in the attacking phase to make up for a lack of speed. Saelemaekers hasn't progressed enough to be considered a starter and doesn't have a good competitor. To make a leap in quality we need attacking enforcements in January and next summer.

- CF: Zlatan: will he be here next season and how many games will he be able to play?
- CF: Giroud: not a good fit for this team, because he's an alternative to an aging striker.
- CF: Pellegri: can't be considered as a serious option.
- RW: Castillejo: nice guy, but not enough quality (even for a bench role).
- RW: Saelemaekers: a decent player, but only as a second option.
- AM: Adli: can he be a serious alternative to Diaz?

Aside from the above, I wonder what our long-term plans are with Rebic. At the moment, both Leao and Rebic are too good for either one to be benched. If Rebic will keep on playing a big chunk of games as a CF, we might need an alternative to Leao on the left.

We need at least two serious quality injections up front to be competitive in Europe next year. It's great to have Zlatan, but the CF position will be a major point of attention for next season. For the RW position we need someone that can start ahead of Alexis.

I've talked about Belotti in the last couple of days and I think he would be a good replacement to Giroud as a second choice striker next season. He could battle with young, all-round CF with speed and potential. I wouldn't want him as a first choice with Giroud as a second option, but the fact that his contract is running out makes him a viable option to look at.

Maybe we can take a young promising striker, Belotti and a quality RW.

Giroud has one more year left on his contract after this season. I strongly doubt that he'll get sold.

If Ibra's injuries continue, then he shouldn't be renewed.

Keep Giroud as box striker against parked buses. That's the only scenario where these tall, old strikers are crucial.

Rebic is a better option for open games, intense games, which big games usually are.
But we need another mobile, versatile striker, preferably one that is also aerially strong like our veterans.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sack Maldini for making us lose CL DNA.
The worst Galliani squad would win this match easily. /s

On a serious note, we got a tough fucking group.
Porto are cunts, but they played well - forced us to lose possession easily while keeping possession well themselves.
Also, we still haven't learned how to punish high pressing play style.
There's some homework for Pioli.

Finally, the last few subs we made were fucking dumb.
We hardly created anything in the last 10 minutes of the match.
It's all fun and games when Maldini Junior comes on and scores the winning goal.
But the rest of the time it's plain fucking annoying when we replace Tonali, Leao and Diaz and create fuckall.

Rossonero81

The Magic Eagle
Reaction score
About the striker discussions. I see many people shitting on Giroud again, but he really has some tough luck. In the last games he played the whole team was either off or played very defensive or bad which really hurts any striker. No striker can really do anything if he doesn't get any decent balls.

IMO Giroud had a decent game yesterday and really wasn't that, had a great shot on goal, was heavily involved in the goal (he drew the foul and was discussing with Tonali and Bennacer before the free kick what to do, look how he immediately slips away to get the ball and shoot on goal (that was planned), the rebound then resulted in the goal). Besides that he had some good passes and flicks, but sadly no one was up to it and could do anything, the three behind him had an off day. I don't think he could've done so much more, obviously he can/should be even better, but I think he'll get back to it.

Ibra had a great game against Roma, but that wasn't only because of him, we dominated that game before the red card, so obviously it's easier for the striker if the whole team is performing. Giroud on the other hand lately has bad luck as I said already, either coming on after/before we're a man down and he ends up isolated or the whole team is off and he gets no decent service (both Porto games for example), still scored two goals in the last games. Not even Lewandowski could do much more in such games and he is a WC striker.

As much as I hate international brakes, I think we really that one to get some players back (Rebic, Messias, Casti) and give others a rest or get them back into top form. Our wingers (Leao, Saele) run a lot and they play all the time, they need a rest, that's one reason why our offense is so off and obviously when the whole team messes up the easiest passes then how shall we get any good chances. Theo had some good runs but I really don't get it why he doesn't pass the ball, instead just runs until he loses the ball or maybe gets a foul.

I don't like shitting on any of our players, I support them all and yesterday Giroud certainly wasn't the worst, it's really embarassing what some "fans" write on social media. Criticism is alright, but just fully shitting on any player is uncalled for, esp. if the whole team wasn't that good. Social media can be so toxic nowadays, people hiding behind their screens, that's what's really pissing me off.

Forza Milan!
P.s: I still believe we can get through this group and if not, I would also take EL. I'd rather get far in EL or better win that shit instead of having nothing but Serie A. Even in EL you have tough/big teams every season and every game against strong opponents is good for our growth.

Nobody on the forum is shitting on Giroud. I think that most analyses consider the 'tough luck' he had. You also have to be critical about what you're seeing. Giroud doesn't offer a lot as a target man. I expected he would, but he just doesn't. He's not a focal point in attack, but more poacher like. At the moment he's a good option when we play close to the opponents box, but that is certainly not enough to be the first striker. He's an alternative to Zlatan and that means he needs to play a lot of matches. A lot of those matches are not really suited to his characteristics. Belotti at this point would offer us more as a second option, because he's better at holding up play than Giroud. That doesn't mean we should dump him. We do have to think about life after Zlatan.

Rossonero81

The Magic Eagle
Reaction score
Giroud has one more year left on his contract after this season. I strongly doubt that he'll get sold.

If Ibra's injuries continue, then he shouldn't be renewed.

Keep Giroud as box striker against parked buses. That's the only scenario where these tall, old strikers are crucial.

Rebic is a better option for open games, intense games, which big games usually are.
But we need another mobile, versatile striker, preferably one that is also aerially strong like our veterans.

If Zlatan retires and Pellegri returns to France, I see Giroud as the third striker next season.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Zlatan retires and Pellegri returns to France, I see Giroud as the third striker next season.
For me he should be the last option in open games, or games where we're losing the possession battle.

2nd option(ahead of Rebic) against the Genoas and Udineses at home.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Current- Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Maignan, Kjaer
Disappointing performance from most of our players. Tonali, Tata and Romagnoli were the only one's that played well. Ibra and Kessie made a difference when they came on.

Levi

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Sack Maldini for making us lose CL DNA.
The worst Galliani squad would win this match easily. /s

On a serious note, we got a tough fucking group.
Porto are cunts, but they played well - forced us to lose possession easily while keeping possession well themselves.
Also, we still haven't learned how to punish high pressing play style.
There's some homework for Pioli.

Finally, the last few subs we made were fucking dumb.
We hardly created anything in the last 10 minutes of the match.
It's all fun and games when Maldini Junior comes on and scores the winning goal.
But the rest of the time it's plain fucking annoying when we replace Tonali, Leao and Diaz and create fuckall.

You pointed out our two biggest weaknesses: playing against high pressing play style, and terrible subs.

The only reason we dominated Atletico until the red card is because they are the closest to a Serie A team in the CL. They play slow, defensive football, which is perfect for us. But as soon as we face teams like Liverpool or Porto which press high and play a high tempo game then we completely crumble apart. Not having resolved this issue is very grave and worrying.

Secondly, our bench is ridiculous. Kalulu, Ballo-Toure, Maldini, Krunic, Bakayoko, Castillejo, Giroud, Pellegri etc. are mediocre options. Coupled with the many injuries we have leads to many players working their assess off and getting tired.

I just hope we can somehow manage to pull it off in the league…