CL: AC Milan [2] vs BATE Borisov [0] - 19/10/2011

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
Fixture 3 of the Champions League 2011 campaign.
AC20Milan.png
VS
130875.png

Fixture 1:
FC Barcelona - AC Milan: 2-2
FC Viktoria Plzen - BATE Borisov: 1-1

Fixture 2:
AC Milan - FC Viktoria Plzen: 2-0
Bate Borisov - FC Barcelona: 0-5​

r929li.jpg

:star:FORZA MILAN!:star:
:c::c::c:

Yoshi

ahmedwuzhere
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo(R9), El Shaarawy, Nesta, Neymar, Montolivo, Maldini, Dinho, De Sciglio, Iniesta, Pato
I thought Barca was #1 in the table due to goal difference? Anyways, we should win this game at least 3-0...

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I thought Barca was #1 in the table due to goal difference? Anyways, we should win this game at least 3-0...

Some are saying it's goal difference, some are saying it's head to head performances. We won and drew away. They won and drew at home.
That's why some sources are saying Milan is 1st.
I took a ranking in which we are first, because hey, it's a Milan-forum after all :lol:

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Some are saying it's goal difference, some are saying it's head to head performances. We won and drew away. They won and drew at home.
That's why some sources are saying Milan is 1st.
I took a ranking in which we are first, because hey, it's a Milan-forum after all :lol:

99% sure it's H2H, haven't found the specific rule, but UEFA has us as first on their website http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/index.html

It's definetly a big advantage for us that it's H2H. I think after the 2-2 draw at Barcelona, Allegri has to be seriously aiming for the top spot in the group, which is something that's really worth the extra effort, because it not only gives us (Most likely) and easier opponent, but also gives us the last leg at home.

Barcelona are likely to win their games with a much bigger margian than us, but since it's H2H then it won't matter. Assuming we win the next two games against BATE (Big assumption), then we can play Barcelona @ San Siro knowing a 0-0 or 1-1 draw would leave us at first (Barcelona are not a very good away team in the CL btw).

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
3 points is all I want with robinho coming back

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
99% sure it's H2H, haven't found the specific rule, but UEFA has us as first on their website http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/index.html

It's definetly a big advantage for us that it's H2H. I think after the 2-2 draw at Barcelona, Allegri has to be seriously aiming for the top spot in the group, which is something that's really worth the extra effort, because it not only gives us (Most likely) and easier opponent, but also gives us the last leg at home.

Barcelona are likely to win their games with a much bigger margian than us, but since it's H2H then it won't matter. Assuming we win the next two games against BATE (Big assumption), then we can play Barcelona @ San Siro knowing a 0-0 or 1-1 draw would leave us at first (Barcelona are not a very good away team in the CL btw).

We and Barca are probable to win all games against Plzen and BATE. So it will be the San Siro game against Barca that's going to decide it. the 2 away goals are a big plus. We could go for 0-0, 1-1 or a win.

Yoshi

ahmedwuzhere
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo(R9), El Shaarawy, Nesta, Neymar, Montolivo, Maldini, Dinho, De Sciglio, Iniesta, Pato

I certainly hope it's H2H. I'd be very disappointed if we don't win both games against BATE and the last game against Viktoria. I also think we can restrict Barca to just a 0-0 or 1-1 draw considering they only scored one goal from free play (only huge defensive error in the game) and the other from a free kick.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score

As i understand it, it is down to head to head.

As we scored two goals in Barcelona that gives us the advantage.

Let's say for example we draw 0-0 or 1-1 at home to Barca and finish on the same amount of points we will go through top.

I dont know what happens if we finish level on points and draw 2-2 at home to Barca.

If we win this game against Bate it wont take many more points to get through. To win this group would be amazing.

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As i understand it, it is down to head to head.

As we scored two goals in Barcelona that gives us the advantage.

Let's say for example we draw 0-0 or 1-1 at home to Barca and finish on the same amount of points we will go through top.

I dont know what happens if we finish level on points and draw 2-2 at home to Barca.

If we win this game against Bate it wont take many more points to get through. To win this group would be amazing.

If we and Barca get the same amount of points and we will draw 2-2 at home. It will be goal difference. As h2h is equalized (2-2 vs 2-2)

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
If we and Barca get the same amount of points and we will draw 2-2 at home. It will be goal difference. As h2h is equalized (2-2 vs 2-2)

So in otherwords, if we draw with less goals v. barca @ san siro and win out (regardless of differential).... we win the group?

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So in otherwords, if we draw with less goals v. barca @ san siro and win out (regardless of differential).... we win the group?

Yes let's say both Barca and Milan win all their games vs BATE and Plzen.
Then in the San Siro game, if we draw with 0-0 or 1-1, we win the group. If we win we also win the group ofcourse.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan

Yes, 0:0 or 1:1 and we virtually win the group assuming we are on the same points regardless of their +20 goal difference :lol:

diavoli7

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Pirlo Cafu Ambrosini Nesta Gattuso Kaka Silva Pato Rivaldo Essien
yeah it's h2h. i hope we don't drop points stupidly to lose us the advantage, getting 1st in the team would be a huge boost. we'll likely get a weaker opponent and some unlucky group winner will get barca, with some luck it's manure or the merda :lol:

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
another easy winn :D

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
With Binho back this should be no problem. I am more afraid of playing BATE away as the weather and long distance travel will be hell.

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
With Binho back this should be no problem. I am more afraid of playing BATE away as the weather and long distance travel will be hell.

With Robi back it really shouldn't be a problem for us to beat them and also Boa should be back and some others too.

The away match against Bate will be two or three weeks later, at the beginning of November, so the weather might be bad, but it's not such a long travel, not longer than England for example, at least I think so.

Naraku

Milan Icon
Reaction score
3 points is all that matters,I don't care if we win1-0, 3-0 or 5-4 we MUST not drop points against BATE.I emphazie that only because it's the type of game (Like Zurich) which we could.

Xudong

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

to break the tie, the first step is H2H (in the order of points from H2H --> total goals scored from H2H -->away goals from H2H), then goal difference.

That's why We are ahead of Barcelona (both have 1 point and 2 goals from H2H, but we have 2 AGs vs. 0). Similarly, Bate is ahead of Plzen for the same reason despite their inferior overall goal difference (both have 1 point and 1 goals from H2H, but Bate have 1 AG out of that tie).

If we draw 2-2 at home with Barcelona and tie them on total points, then goal difference will break the tie. We need 0-0 or 1-1 and 3 more wins out of the two "minnows" to win the group. :)

BrasilianMilan

Eternal Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Seedorf, Romagnoli, Paqueta, Piatek
2 things:

1. If Robinho plays, we will more strikers on hand to play and rotate (and he'll get back into the string of Al's tactics)

2. We must not screw up against BATE at home and take advantage of their current situation.

FORZA MILAN!

derpu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Demetrio Albertini, Prinz Eugen
we should win this comfortably.

2-0 allegri style :D

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
It would be good to see Mexes but i want to make sure he is ready and his first game for us is not a disaster. This game is too important for anything less than 3 points.

Hopefully Robinho will be fit for this one.

squaresolid

8-bit noise~
Reaction score
Fav. Players
▌║║█║║▌│║█║█│
It would be good to see Mexes but i want to make sure he is ready and his first game for us is not a disaster. This game is too important for anything less than 3 points.

Hopefully Robinho will be fit for this one.

yeah, you're right.
it's a high risk in CL match to play him if he's not ready and we haven't secure the points we needed to go through the next stage.
i don't want think BATE is an easy opponents even barca beats the hell out of them.
also considering the teams in CL is getting stronger and stronger in years.
i think sandro and silva is still the best duo in centre defence.
it's just with this tight schedule, mexes could really be a benefit addition in the defence and allegri should give squad rotations to avoid sandro and silva from injuries.
mexes hower needs chances to proof it too considering he just recover a long period of injury.
i had enough for bonera in center defence.
yepes was quite okay, but if milan to face a team with fast movements in CL (such as tottenham last year), so i hope mexes could really give a big contribution.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
----------------Abbiati--------------
--Abate--Mexes--Yepes--Antonini--
---Aquaman---Dorf---Nocerino-----
---------------Prince------------------
-------Ibra------------Binho-----------

Bench-Amelia, Bonera, Tawio, De Sciglio, van Bommel, Urby, Cassano
not wanting to risk Silva even if he can go, let him rest, dont want Nesta to get to much work at his age.

I want to have an attacking sub on the bench and I think that Cassano is better for us as a supersub than he is as a starter, and Prince should be well rested. We should be able to play with Dorf as anchor versus a lower quality team

laxman

Cult of Shevchenko
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Zidane, Pirlo, Kaka, Inzaghi, Cafu, Messi, Xavi, Serginho
i know that the uefa site has us on top but rules seem to be different i.e. goal difference seems to be the top priority tie breaker...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_UEFA_Champions_League#Group_stage

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
5. If, after applying criteria 1) to 4) to several teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria 1) to 4) will be reapplied to determine the ranking of these teams;
6. superior goal difference from all group matches played;
7. higher number of goals scored from all group matches played;
8. higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.

the wiki article links to uefa rules pdf..

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles.../Regulations/01/63/02/44/1630244_DOWNLOAD.pdf

we need to win our games against the minnows and beat Barca.. no way we will be able to surpass them on goal difference

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
wednesday night game, decent amount of time for the internationals to rest.

Hopefully Taiwo starts this game.

Schedule