Copa America

Who will win Copa America 2011?

• Total voters

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Crespo, Ayala, Sorin & Riquelme sure great geniusses

Veron before he went back to back to Italy

With Veron (+....) i was also refelcting to Masaro94's time when he was in his early 30's you know like in the 90's or somethin

Ah gotcha.

Basically the late 90's.

2002 was the last likeable Argentina team

I'd say the 2006 team was the last Argentina team people could really cheer on.

The 2010 team was garbage and the 2014 team was so boring to watch.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah gotcha.

Basically the late 90'

Or maybe early 90's
Teach me massaro94

What's wrong with Dybala?
Also those guys you listed, esp :star:Batigol:star: were a JOY to watch I'd like to add Crespo, Aimar and Gallardo:proud:

2002 was the last likeable Argentina team

Dybala plays for the wrong team, also icardi

Yes gallardo was awesome at Monaco and aimar the Valencia legend

I'm probably less of a fan of ladri & merda players

I can't help and it's incurable

A_Wild_Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
@Wild Baresi won the world cup so you r point applies to Maldini and not Baresi
Baresi played in that world cup ?!!!!

Glad somebody picked up on his error

Trying to diss Baresi

Blud this guy is the greatest defender of all time

He don't need no World Cup for that
You would be an idiot thinking am dissing Baresi or Maldini.
On the contrary am saying that players could be legendary even if they didnt win a world cup or a CL or for playing or succeeding with one team.
At least try to comprehend before parading your fan status.

And now Messi is racist :lol:
Leaf , you still didnt answer the question : Maldini goat or not ?!!!!

Last edited:

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Baresi played in that world cup ?!!!!

You would be an idiot thinking am dissing Baresi or Maldini.
On the contrary am saying that players could be legendary even if they didnt win a world cup or a CL or for playing or succeeding with one team.
At least try to comprehend before parading your fan status.

And now Messi is racist :lol:
Leaf , you still didnt answer the question : Maldini goat or not ?!!!!
Maldini = definite GOAT
As I said My choices are not limited to the ones you presented.
Maldini might have not won the WC and R9 the CL but they were still Ronaldo and Maldini whatever shirt they wore. Messi is a DIFFERENT player for Argentina....his penalty missing is still consistent though :proud:

A_Wild_Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Maldini wasnt impressive with Italy though.
Messi in fact gave Argentina more than what Maldini gave Italy for that matter.
So again , the fact that Messi isnt great other than with Barca doesnt change the fact he is goat same as Maldini is one despite being good with Milan only.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Messi in fact gave Argentina more than what Maldini gave Italy for that matter.
So again , the fact that Messi isnt great other than with Barca doesnt change the fact he is goat same as Maldini is one despite being good with Milan only.

But quitter? :lol:

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9

10I6xDDHK6OI00.gif

So u r talking absolute shit about Maldini to defend Messi's failure?

Maldini was legendary with Italy. I never thought, wish he played for Italy like he played for Milan. tbf defenders aren't judged on winning international trophies, strikers/AM's are as its their job to really win matches. And ppl wouldn't be this hard on Messi if he was scoring and playing like he does for barca(or at a similar level) and losing due to shit defenders leaking goals.

Arsene

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Wow.

This is some next level hate.

Your post says everything....when you cant disputed a point, you call others hater. In school we call this debate equalizer. when someone bring up a point that you cant argue against, avoid the point and turn on the messanger and try to discredit the person so the point lose it value. Nice try

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Messis problem with Argentina is god is punishing them for their past. Its really that simple. They are cursed and paying price for how they have treated black people in their history. expect more heartache

Germany?

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
10I6xDDHK6OI00.gif

Maldini was legendary with Italy. I never thought, wish he played for Italy like he played for Milan. tbf defenders aren't judged on winning international trophies, strikers/AM's are as its their job to really win matches. And ppl wouldn't be this hard on Messi if he was scoring and playing like he does for barca(or at a similar level) and losing due to shit defenders leaking goals.
:thumbsup:
If the Maldini level of players (Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro etc) was still around, Messi would have retired after he left La Masia :lol::lol::lol:

In other news I'd like to dedicate this to Messi and his International career :)

*pours out a little louis* :proud:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
10I6xDDHK6OI00.gif

True. Messi doesn't have shit defenders around him leaking goals.

He only has the most overrated strikers missing open goals for him.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
drucurl I'm going to ask you straight up, how many matches of Messi in Argentina have you watched since 2011 apart from World Cup 2014?

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Your post says everything....when you cant disputed a point, you call others hater. In school we call this debate equalizer. when someone bring up a point that you cant argue against, avoid the point and turn on the messanger and try to discredit the person so the point lose it value. Nice try

You have to understand that doesn't apply today. That's like saying Germany is still being punished for the Holocaust even though the people responsible for it are mostly dead.

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
True. Messi doesn't have shit defenders around him leaking goals.

He only has the most overrated strikers missing open goals for him.

Again would be a good excuse if he was creating chances like he does is barca.. or scores incredible solo goals like barca. He doesn't do either.

I mean copa America is not really important tbh, not this one anyways as it was played 1 year after the last one so doesn't matter what he does there.

In world cup final, semi final don't remember anything from him, same in previous W Cups. And Argentina isn't England, they have seen Diego do it all on his own so they expect the same from Messi (especially cuz he does it in barca week in week out). He himself missed a golden opportunity in final. Higuaín missed probably the best chance there, which btw was made by Germany.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
“Messi was abandoned and I don’t want to abandon him. That’s why I want to talk to him, to fight against all those who abandoned him,” said Maradona, who coached Messi and Argentina at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Goat to goat resuscitation

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Messi does get criticized too much at times. Much more than that fucker Higuain and it's because people expect the most out of him.

This final I did see him trying but it wasn't enough. He got shut down and as a result he played bad.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Higuain always delivers what I expect from him, so he never disappoints.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
So much GOLD in the last 2 pages... @ joyrider i'll come back to that post, later on.

It's still cute to see messi fangirls blaming HiGOATin, despite messi doing sweet fack all in 3 cosecutive finals :lol:

6 hours... and i don't even think he registered a shot on Goal.

6 fackin hours :lol:

Here let me wipe those tears
13495331_1601102843515780_7399299568035793436_n.jpg

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Again would be a good excuse if he was creating chances like he does is barca.. or scores incredible solo goals like barca. He doesn't do either.

I mean copa America is not really important tbh, not this one anyways as it was played 1 year after the last one so doesn't matter what he does there.

In world cup final, semi final don't remember anything from him, same in previous W Cups. And Argentina isn't England, they have seen Diego do it all on his own so they expect the same from Messi (especially cuz he does it in barca week in week out). He himself missed a golden opportunity in final. Higuaín missed probably the best chance there, which btw was made by Germany.
What allows him to score those magical goals with Barcelona is having a team that actually has the balls to throw men forward, create space for him and does not have a gameplan that is quite literally give the ball to Messi and hope for the best.

This final, from second half onwards Argentina were utterly pathetic. Chile dominated the ball, and pressed Argentina from goal kicks leading them to play it long to Higuain who cannot win a header vs Medel. The rare times they got it to Messi it was at the halfway line, with only Higuain/Aguero in front of him, and one other player, usually Banega who is not someone used to or should be making that run. Messi still managed to dribble past two or three players every single time before he inevitably gets brought down, after which the set piece is inevitably wasted. They only sent on Lamela in the 115th minute.
This is the same broad problem that has been plaguing Argentina for the last 6 years, a ridiculous reliance on Messi to do everything in attack while the rest of the team's job is to defend and run as quickly as possible to Messi to celebrate when he scores. This, brilliant plan, shockingly, fails against every decent team that is organised enough and has a plan and the personnel (Schweinsteiger, Vidal) to mark Messi.

The only supposedly world class players in Argentina apart from Messi who have performed at a decent level for Argentina are Mascherano and Di Maria, who for the third tournament in a row, was unfit for the final. Higuain, Aguero and Tevez are absolute failures.

What other World Cups has he failed in? 2006 Pekerman didn't start him vs Germany and they paid the price, not to mention he was 18 years old. 2010 he had Maradona as coach and Jonas Gutierrez at RB. 2014 he didn't perform to his level and is labelled a national failure with demands for him to be dropped.
People forget Maradona only won one World Cup for Argentina. No Copas, 1982 he came in under similar pressure to Messi in 2010 and failed vs Brazil, 1990 is incredibly similar to 2016. The only players that have had comparable pressure to perform with their NTs to Messi are Maradona and fat Ronaldo, and fatty had a breakdown during 1998.

This "Messi doesn't look the same playing for Argentina" rhetoric is from people who have watched him play only the 2014 WC, and the two Copa finals. He has been the undisputed best player for Argentina since 2011, has consistently been good in Copa knockouts (2011 when he was playing his best football for Argentina, he was incredibly unlucky to be knocked out by Uruguay) and just fallen short to an admirable Chile team on penalties twice.

Look at the reaction after the match. Literally nothing about Chile, nothing about the rest of Argentina, nothing about the horrible referee, nothing about Aguero and Mascherano retiring. Just Messi. Calling him a coward, a pussy etc. while Argentina are begging for him to come back.

This Copa absolutely 100% mattered to Argentina, more than every other nation. They are completely desperate for a trophy.

On a side note, the reason I think Messi is so devastated this time is because he missed the penalty. I think that might have been the first penalty he's missed for Argentina, certainly in shootouts.

Last edited:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
6 hours of playing with Higuain, Aguero and Palacio, no wonder the Goat has broke

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
drucurl I'm going to ask you straight up, how many matches of Messi in Argentina have you watched since 2011 apart from World Cup 2014?

Honestly....I doubt it was more than 20. I watched the 2015 Copa (Obrigado Lord Higuain :proud: )...and he really wasn't the same Messi from Barca....then the World Cup of course....Surely you don't want me to watch every shit or friendly that Argentina plays?

I'll freely admit that I watch mainly the bigger games...and I will agree that Messi has been pretty consistent in them :D
You have to understand that doesn't apply today. That's like saying Germany is still being punished for the Holocaust even though the people responsible for it are mostly dead.

Sheesh he wasn't being completely serious....we're all professional trolls here. Calm down. Nobody actually hates Argentina (only) for this. However, there remains the question...where are all the black players? Even Germany has black players...I dunno it doesn't go down too well. I'm not saying that they definitively are racist...but it's iffy.

To be fair, he does create a few good chances here and there. But it's a tough sell to say that he's the same Messi from Barcelona

“Messi was abandoned and I don’t want to abandon him. That’s why I want to talk to him, to fight against all those who abandoned him,” said Maradona, who coached Messi and Argentina at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Goat to goat resuscitation
lol that was 2010.
in 2016 Diego told them win or GTFO....and he listened :proud:

Messi does get criticized too much at times. Much more than that fucker Higuain and it's because people expect the most out of him.

This final I did see him trying but it wasn't enough. He got shut down and as a result he played bad.
If he is supposed to be the GOAT, then surely much would be expected of him? :mb:

Higuain always delivers what I expect from him, so he never disappoints.

:lol::thumbsup:

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Messi apologists :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Messi was absolutely redundant for Argentina in those finals. No chances created for himself or his teammates.

Only reason Messi got to play in a WC final is because of Higauin's strike against Belgium.

This Coppa he missed the Chile game and Argentina won then played the final and failed to create anything against 10 men Chile.

Making it sound like the only way to create a chance is to get the ball in midfield and dribble everyone :lol::fp:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
That Diegoat quote was from yesterday. Also have the President of Argentina, '86 team asking him to come back amongst others, they're erecting statues of him to try and get him back. :lol:

"Those saying he should quit don't want us to see what a disaster Argentinean football has become," Maradona told La Nacion newspaper.

"Messi must go on."

Maradona, who captained Argentina to victory in the 1986 World Cup and managed the team at the 2010 World Cup, added: "Messi has to stay because he will reach the 2018 World Cup in Russia in conditions to become world champion.

"The lads have to be supported more to help him take the team forward."

Last edited:

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Messi apologists :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Messi was absolutely redundant for Argentina in those finals. No chances created for himself or his teammates.

Only reason Messi got to play in a WC final is because of Higauin's strike against Belgium.

This Coppa he missed the Chile game and Argentina won then played the final and failed to create anything against 10 men Chile.

Making it sound like the only way to create a chance is to get the ball in midfield and dribble everyone :lol::fp:
There are other ways to create chances too of course For example set pieces like the one played in from Messi from which Aguero made that header and Bravo pulled off that ridiculous save. Or creating space for others, like this one where he passed it off to Aguero who blasted it away. Hmm what about winning fouls and getting players sent off by himself? You know the one before Rojo got a red card 10 minutes later?
Yes indeed there are many ways for Argentina to let down the best player in the world.

Last edited:

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
There are other ways to create chances too of course For example set pieces like the one from which Aguero made that header and Bravo pulled off that ridiculous save. Or creating space for others, like this one where he passed it off to Aguero who blasted it away. Hmm what about winning fouls and getting players sent off by himself? You know the one before Rojo got a red card 10 minutes later?
Yes indeed there are many ways for Argentina to let down the best player in the world.

I expect better from the "GOAT" than to play like Balotelli :lol::lol:

For those 6 hours of football I wasn't sure what Messi was trying to do but it didn't work. He displayed Pep-level stubbornness and nothing more.

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What allows him to score those magical goals with Barcelona is having a team that actually has the balls to throw men forward, create space for him and does not have a gameplan that is quite literally give the ball to Messi and hope for the best.

This final, from second half onwards Argentina were utterly pathetic. Chile dominated the ball, and pressed Argentina from goal kicks leading them to play it long to Higuain who cannot win a header vs Medel. The rare times they got it to Messi it was at the halfway line, with only Higuain/Aguero in front of him, and one other player, usually Banega who is not someone used to or should be making that run. Messi still managed to dribble past two or three players every single time before he inevitably gets brought down, after which the set piece is inevitably wasted. They only sent on Lamela in the 115th minute.
This is the same broad problem that has been plaguing Argentina for the last 6 years, a ridiculous reliance on Messi to do everything in attack while the rest of the team's job is to defend and run as quickly as possible to Messi to celebrate when he scores. This, brilliant plan, shockingly, fails against every decent team that is organised enough and has a plan and the personnel (Schweinsteiger, Vidal) to mark Messi.

The only supposedly world class players in Argentina apart from Messi who have performed at a decent level for Argentina are Mascherano and Di Maria, who for the third tournament in a row, was unfit for the final. Higuain, Aguero and Tevez are absolute failures.

What other World Cups has he failed in? 2006 Pekerman didn't start him vs Germany and they paid the price, not to mention he was 18 years old. 2010 he had Maradona as coach and Jonas Gutierrez at RB. 2014 he didn't perform to his level and is labelled a national failure with demands for him to be dropped.
People forget Maradona only won one World Cup for Argentina. No Copas, 1982 he came in under similar pressure to Messi in 2010 and failed vs Brazil, 1990 is incredibly similar to 2016. The only players that have had comparable pressure to perform with their NTs to Messi are Maradona and fat Ronaldo, and fatty had a breakdown during 1998.

This "Messi doesn't look the same playing for Argentina" rhetoric is from people who have watched him play only the 2014 WC, and the two Copa finals. He has been the undisputed best player for Argentina since 2011, has consistently been good in Copa knockouts (2011 when he was playing his best football for Argentina, he was incredibly unlucky to be knocked out by Uruguay) and just fallen short to an admirable Chile team on penalties twice.

Look at the reaction after the match. Literally nothing about Chile, nothing about the rest of Argentina, nothing about the horrible referee, nothing about Aguero and Mascherano retiring. Just Messi. Calling him a coward, a pussy etc. while Argentina are begging for him to come back.

This Copa absolutely 100% mattered to Argentina, more than every other nation. They are completely desperate for a trophy.

On a side note, the reason I think Messi is so devastated this time is because he missed the penalty. I think that might have been the first penalty he's missed for Argentina, certainly in shootouts.

:eek:

I will be honest I didn't read through this whole thing properly cuz i would rather accept Messi is the GOAT football rugby and tennis player than go through a post this long :D

Maradona or anyone else inc messi didn't have to win every single tournament they were in. Diego won in 86 and was ridiculously good. I never saw Garrincha play but 86 Diego and 62 Garrincha are always mentioned as the sort of "winning all by themselves wcup" and i know its a team game and all of that but u get my point. And if I was an argie, no copa victory was going to convince me that someone was better than Deigo. The copa must matter to argentina (more to the players probably) but a south American cup that Brazil doesn't take seriously is not worth it IMO.

His worldcups have been mediocre at best, and its not like Maradona or many other great were coached by the greatest managers. If the only way he is going to win it is by having the absolute greatest players around him with the best manager then well doesn't say much about him being a GOAT.

I mean we r just talking Messi v Diego atm but there are many others too. e.g Ones before our times like Pele, Garrincha, Beckenbeaur who have won it all or someone like Cruyff who has won whatever Messi has won in Europe and had a sensational WCup. Or someone like Zizou or Iniesta from current era who have won everything Messi has plus international trophies with great performances in them and not all of them had legendary coaches or teams around them.

So Messi as GOAT club player.. can see that, but not overall, not for me anyways.

Schedule