Crespo: World Class?

ORez

The Red & Black Army
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta
This might be redundant for many buy I really wanted to know if Hernan Crespo was really a "World Class Strike" by any definition?

IMO, hes one hell of a striker. Probably one of the top elite, if there is any such class. But then again, 'dont touch my sheva' :p Every striker would love to be an understudy to the great Batistuta! What do you say?

rossoneroid

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
What is the definition or parameter which we use to judge that a player is a world class?

Crespo is very reliable, Carletto wants him since he still manage juventus and know exactly how to handle the argentinian.

Roksana

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pirlo, C.Ronaldo, F.Totti, Del Piero, Nesta, Heinze, Roy Keane...etc
I really miss Crespo :cry:

Nesta87

Banned
Reaction score
yer fuk oath i miss him heaps....we really should of sold pippo and kept crespo. See the guy now in the EPL his a freak

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I agree Crespo is super.

But what I want to emphasize is that Crespo was the first world class striker Milan has got after Sheva's transfer. And with Crespo Sheva started to show the best combinative football and surely alongside with Kaka' in Milan "forwards-history". Cause even from the start, when Crespo didn't score it was absolute clear how good can understand eachother these two forwards on the pitch. There were a lot of talks till Crespo arrival about inability of Milan's forwards (firstly Sheva-Inzaghi) to combine and to teamplay with eachother. But with Crespo and Sheva there was maybe first time since many years the real combinative play between forwards.

And one more thing I think Milan did very unjustise to Crespo, Chelsey wanted something between 10 - 14 mln for him. Milan said "we cannot afford it " and bought for 28 mln. Gilardino - the player I hope with future but in future not now, who still need to learn a lot and to find the best way to communicate with Milan's players and at first with Sheva on the pitch. But with duo Sheva-Crespo Milan already had what it needs.

*forza kaka*

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cafu kaka sheva pirlo
kenichy said:
crespo, defenetely world class

crespo world class i dont think so hes the rebound king i never saw him score outside the box for milan he shoots from outside wiht chelsea but he stiil is no were near world class hes gettin old now so hes not gonna get better

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
Tsar and I were discussing this yesterday. I've always been a big fan of Hernan Crespo. Of course he is world class, one only has to watch a highlite real of his goals to see that. He reinvented himself with milan and gave himslef a new birth as a football player at the international and club level. Not to mention with sheva injured, we never lost a match with Crespo on the Front line.

And If I still don' thave you convinced, just go back and recall that wondeful curling header he put away against Manure.

THE MALDINESTA

Lovin' Carin' N Nursin'
Reaction score
Fav. Players
To many to mention, just see the nickname ;)
Yes, he's a world class player, so was Vieri.
But does it( crespo being a world class) matter to us ,now?

percik said:
And one more thing I think Milan did very unjustise to Crespo, Chelsey wanted something between 10 - 14 mln for him. Milan said "we cannot afford it " and bought for 28 mln. Gilardino - the player I hope with future but in future not now, who still need to learn a lot and to find the best way to communicate with Milan's players and at first with Sheva on the pitch. But with duo Sheva-Crespo Milan already had what it needs.

Why must we spent our money for him, a 30+ player, since we can invest it for a 20+ one?.
If you rave about the amount,I'm sure Milan's management has their policy about it.Imagine, how much it will cost us, to bring Gila, next season, or maybe next two years? We might have to pay twice as much as now.

Yes, he still have to learn,and adapt to Milan's style,and I'm sure every new players would need to.

OK, my point is, if only Milan paid $$$ for 30+, then get a free one as well, who's also 30+, it would make the average ages of our strikers becomes 30++.
And I don't need to write the comparison, then.As an intelligent man, you know what next.

Oma_B

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SHEVA,BLOKHIN,Rui, Maldini, Okocha, Ronny D, Hagi, Cryuff, MVB, Belanov n Yashin
*forza kaka* said:
crespo world class i dont think so hes the rebound king i never saw him score outside the box for milan he shoots from outside wiht chelsea but he stiil is no were near world class hes gettin old now so hes not gonna get better
What a childish post, since when does scoring outside the box make u world class? He didn't need 2 shoot from outside the box, it wasn't his job he was meant 2 be in the box pickin up the scraps from shots from seedorf, pirlo n everyone else. True he is getting old, but by his performance against Betis he is still showing good form. I think the stats say 3 in eight games he's scored now even with Drogba starting. He is one of Argentina's finest and wouldn't deserve a spot in the national team if he wasn't, therefore world class.....still.:eek:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Crespo is a world class player though he's not the out and out scoring striker but we can get at least 12+ goals in a season if he's healthy. He didn't score more than 100 goals in Serie A for nothing. He's also spearheading Argentina attack and will absolutely be one of the senior member of the squad in WC 06 along with Zanetti and Veron. That should tell something about his quality. He's capable of shooting with both feet and has good heading ability (heading examples for Milan : vs MU and Roma).

About his reputation of only scoring inside the box with simple tap in or rebound, so what? That's the kind of striker he is. Inzaghi and Van Nistelrooy did this all the time. And Crespo has one quality that has been overlooked all this time: his passing ability, very useful in one-two passing situation with on-rushing midfield.

Although I am grateful for Gila's arrival (absolutely better option for Milan considering Gila's age and prospect in the future), I sometimes feel that Crespo will truly become a great partner for Sheva if he stayed with Milan this season. He only started to find his scoring touch again late in the competition. I can only imagine what would happen if Sheva's face was not injured and Milan didn't have to play the christmas tree formation.

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
About his reputation of only scoring inside the box with simple tap in or rebound, so what? That's the kind of striker he is. Inzaghi and Van Nistelrooy did this all the time. And Crespo has one quality that has been overlooked all this time: his passing ability, very useful in one-two passing situation with on-rushing midfield.

Well he has scored from outside the box a couple of times but not for Milan. Did you see the goal he scored for Chelsea againts Wigan? A world class shot from out of the box. He has done it a couple of times before. His confidence was down when he first came to Milan and he was rejuvenated here! I agree with you, he would have been a great partner for Sheva if he stayed on! Forza Crespo!

Last edited:

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
THE MALDINESTA said:
Yes, he's a world class player, so was Vieri.
But does it( crespo being a world class) matter to us ,now?

Why must we spent our money for him, a 30+ player, since we can invest it for a 20+ one?.
If you rave about the amount,I'm sure Milan's management has their policy about it.Imagine, how much it will cost us, to bring Gila, next season, or maybe next two years? We might have to pay twice as much as now.

Yes, he still have to learn,and adapt to Milan's style,and I'm sure every new players would need to.

OK, my point is, if only Milan paid $$$ for 30+, then get a free one as well, who's also 30+, it would make the average ages of our strikers becomes 30++.
And I don't need to write the comparison, then.As an intelligent man, you know what next.

Nothing wrong with signing Gila. Vieri came because we couldnt sign Crespo or didnt make an extra effort to sign him. It would have been great if we traded Kaladze (who has been playing badly this season) for Crespo. Something happened with that deal and the deal didnt go trough. Next thing you know we signed Vieri as a replacement for Crespo! Gila would have come even if Crespo stayed.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
percik said:
And with Crespo Sheva started to show the best combinative football and surely alongside with Kaka' in Milan "forwards-history".

Best example: 2nd goal vs Lpool (despite the final result).
Kaka rushing from the middle, Sheva (who was on Kaka's left when the move started) ran to Kaka's right and into the box with Crespo continuing his run to the middle from the left. Kaka passed to Sheva who then squared it to Crespo in the middle for a simple tap in. Classic counter attack with good off-the ball movement.

ORez

The Red & Black Army
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta
Crespo was definitely the driving force behind Milan's victories in the Champions League matches. He regained his confidence as a striker at Milan; the confidence that he and Veron lost under Claudio Ranieri (Chelsea). Still I think, Crespo, himself is doing bad to his game and age, playing at a club like Chelsea, where hes used as a sub.

At Milan, hes was very successful as a lone striker, and delivered when it mattered. Crespo is in-debt to Milan as much as Milan need him in its ranks. Crespo's ability to head, shoot, hold, control and pass the ball speaks volumes about his ability to be a 'world class' striker.

But now, hes history. We have to move on and so does Milan. Milan's new strikers need to accept the responsibility of filling in the shoes of Hernan Crespo. Even though still not of a heavenly repute, Crespo's performance at Milan is by far the best that hes shown anywhere hes played at. It now rests on Gilardino and Vieri to make the ball hit the back of the net. Not asking much, but still in alot of doubt about the future of these two new strikers at Milan.

Forza Gila and Vieri!
Forza Milan! :star:

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Last edited:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We had a 50+ page Crespo adulation thread a year ago, no need to start another one to essentially rehash over + over + OVER again what was said back then. But since the deed is done I might as well add my 2cent.

He's a predator type striker like a couple other names mentioned above + past his best years even if MilanLab helped him to (slowly) get his career back on track + score 11 league goals + 6 in the CL for us. Not enough to win silverware, not enough to win the most important matches... Even Vieri or Inzaghi will reach a similar tally this season... so... sure as hell Milan don't need Crespo back.

Nuff said.

Move on :tongue:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Passion for *9* said:
Even Vieri will reach a similar tally this season...

Doubt it ;)
I don't consider him a world class( a meaning that for me is overly used). He is a great stricker, no doubt about that. And he can score some really classy goals, but that doesn't make him a world class. By himself he didn't do much(consider a world class #9 like Batistuta in Fiorentina, almost by himself he brought Fiore from Serie B to Serie A, he didn't had the big almighty teams that Hernan has had, with the exception of Roma in 00' and maybe Fiorentina back in 98').
I appreacite the goals he did for us last season, and I enjoyed them a lot, and I thought he made a good presentation with Milan that could have made him stayed with us(but that wasn't up to us, but it was up to Chelsea, besides he's almost 30, and I much much rather Gila in that case).
So overall, great stricker, but not a world class.

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
We had a 50+ page Crespo adulation thread a year ago, no need to start another one to essentially rehash over + over + OVER again what was said back then. But since the deed is done I might as well add my 2cent.

He's a predator type striker like a couple other names mentioned above + past his best years even if MilanLab helped him to (slowly) get his career back on track + score 11 league goals + 6 in the CL for us. Not enough to win silverware, not enough to win the most important matches... Even Vieri or Inzaghi will reach a similar tally this season... so... sure as hell Milan don't need Crespo back.

Nuff said.

It is interessting - do I have to consider this post as inviting to the disscusion or you just has repeated (sorry) but your wrong position?

The same you told before his arrival. But Crespo came really back after Season where he got many injuries and created with Sheva really strong duo. So it is I hope you considers as a fact too!!
Then , ye he is "predator" but equiped with pass, visions, versality and great teamplay - the quality that many other "predators strikers" lacks.

As for "Milan didn't won nothing". I answer with SECOND place in Seria A and Final of CL and by the way Italian Super Cup - not such bad.
But the main thing Crespo has did and there was not the problem with attack, perhaps more in defense but not for sure, maybe more in "psychology" but this is up to coach. It is a pity but Ancelotty obviously doesn't possess ability to motivate or maybe this is still on what he has to work.

Anyway Crespo was a great benefit. That's all.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Passion for *9* said:
Are you calling me out for keeping an optimistic outlook, LOL ? ;)
Yeah. :D
Well, maybe your optimistic outlook is working...Vieri scored his first.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
crazy4milan said:
Yeah. :D
Well, maybe your optimistic outlook is working...Vieri scored his first.
I put football on ignore for most of tonight + have just caught up with results + match reports,, Gila scored, Bobo scored, I'm stoked !!!! :D

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Passion for *9* said:

Nuff said.

I agree.
We shouldn’t pay $10M 2 sign Crespo since we have Inzagi + free Vieri.
Crespo is surely better than both Inzagi + Vieri but I wont pay big koney 4 him.
If he was free then hell yes ……..

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Why we care so much for AC Milan money? do they care about our money? I dont think so .. even if they buy a bencher 50milion euro I dont care.. since its not from my pocket..

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
besikaka said:
Why we care so much for AC Milan money? do they care about our money? I dont think so .. even if they buy a bencher 50milion euro I dont care.. since its not from my pocket..
Coz Milan have a limited budget every year.
And buying a player who wont fit our squad is painful since we need reinforcements in many positions.

mzk57

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
*JDT* *Sheva* *Makaay* *Gudjohnsen* *Lampard* *Zanetti* *Maldini* *Nesta* *Aimar* *Maradona*
First of all what a stupid title; Crespo :world class??:conf:
No doubts abt the class of a player replacing Batistuta in national team.;) Secondly I hope both legendary JDT & Crespo finish their careers at Milan;)

Schedule