Status
Not open for further replies.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Normally I don't quote from Tribal.. but I guess this is legit :

Desailly: I'll find top African talent for AC Milan

tribalfooball.com - March 27, 2007

Marcel Desailly has returned to AC Milan after nine years away to become their official African scout.

The World Cup winner's appointment was confirmed yesterday and he declared: "Africans will again be scouted by Milan. There are some limitations, because of the rule regarding non-European players, but we will try to find a way to bring them to Italy.

"We want to buck the trend which has seen African players struggle when immediately joining big European clubs. Often the young players must go to a small club before developing like Michael Essien, Didier Drogba or Samuel Eto'o.

"But we hope to find players who can make an immediate contribution."

---

About time we start looking to Africa for talent. Good decision. Good luck to Monsieur DESAILLY :)

milanissimo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van basten, pirlo, nesta, kaka`
i am really happy for this,
i just hope this is official..

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish him all the luck he can get! find a nice striker. A younger version of Drogba at Milan :)

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
I hope he is better than scouts we already have.
bring some africans magic dude.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
i dont think our scouts are the problem. Theyve been doing a decent job over the years, with kaka and gourcuff being two rather obvious examples. You cant expect them to find a new kaka EVERY year, simply becuase there arent that many kakas every year.
Its a good move to bring a scout focused on africa, but all this will come to nothing if Ancelotti refuses to play them.
People like diarra, okaka chuka(not special yet, but long way to go), and adebayor would probably not have gotten chances to play under ancelotti, even if we had gotten them in their teens.
Cant complain against this though - its a step in the right direction, hopefully one of many.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Firstly, I thought Desailly was 'French' :D

He's going to have tough competition since there's a bunch of French + other smaller European clubs' scouts all over the place. Hope his name + more importantly, Milan's name, will give him the connections to strike gold especially in the Western countries.

The downside is that our policies are becoming more transparent ... getting raw African talent is cheaper than the experienced Africans already playing Europe. Which is real important since the European-based African players are more likely to be disciplined + focused + have the right character than their local counterparts who, I fear, will fall prone to the excitement of signing for a club like Milan. The last thing we need is a El Hadji Diouf ... so Desailly has a lot of work to do: lets hope he's not in it only for his cut.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
madtherchot said:
Firstly, I thought Desailly was 'French' :D
born September 7, 1968 in Accra, Ghana as Odenke Abbey... Moved to France at age 4... so he is as African as Drogba... maybe a lil 'less'... LOL.

Agree about the advantages of signing Europeanized Africans but we could have tackled the problem 'mentality' by its root + opened some state-of-the-art academies in African countries... But hell.. NO.. some dimwits decided to waste our money in 'Straylya :rolleyes:

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
It's much better to have a scout to sign players before being noticed by the media and reaching their fame 'cause we don't want little cunts like Mikel or Diouf [like madtherchot mentioned]. Africans are needed now, maybe we can find a new Weah, or even better ... a new Viera, but one to stay and actually play with Milan. All the best Desailly.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
madtherchot said:
He's going to have tough competition since there's a bunch of French + other smaller European clubs' scouts all over the place.
Scouts or con men ? :rolleyes:

Didn't know ASEC Abidjan's academy has teamed up with Charlton Athletic (according to untrustworthy Wikipedia), so now the talent will go straight to England + doesn't need to be channeled through Belgium anymore.

Milan are so missing out. Idiots.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Let's just wish him some luck. Compare to other top European clubs, we've been quite slow in getting young talents from Africa. Heck,we don't even have any African players in the squad (although Aubemayang can be named). The last we have (if not mistaken) was Weah.

BTW, where did Desailly end his playing career? I believe after Chelsea he went to some Arabian club.

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
Passion for *9* said:
Pffff... he's quite good.

I was talking about his personality more than his game; he's a good player ... but the glory hunters who would leave you any day for your rival if they pay more is the last we want now.

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Sounds like a good idea. But we'll just to wait and see if we find any talent we can use. There's no doubt its there, but even if we find it can we utilise it.

teis

Alice in Chains
Reaction score
Faяouk said:
I was talking about his personality more than his game; he's a good player ... but the glory hunters who would leave you any day for your rival if they pay more is the last we want now.
And you know him personally???

Torcida

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Totti, Gattuso, Maldini, Ronaldo 9
it's great we started to scout in africa

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
I hope we can find some similar role for Weah.I would really like to see him in our organization....

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
but we could have tackled the problem 'mentality' by its root + opened some state-of-the-art academies in African countries... But hell.. NO.. some dimwits decided to waste our money in 'Straylya :rolleyes:

Easier said than done. Rather reluctantly, I have to admit most promising talent in Africa is from West Africa ... a region plagued with political instability. Even if they tried to set up an academy in more stable countries, like Cameroon, they wouldn't have enough access to other Western African countries knowing the policies countries in the region have between each other. And it would also be difficult for prospective players to get to the academy ...

Can be done, but we have to be familiar with the region + their policies and other technicalities first before jumping into something as important as an academy. We wouldn't want dubious reports (like the unfortunate Ivorian incident) tarnishing our already questionable image. So then, appointing someone as renowned as Desailly as head of African scouting is a good start but I fear it won't materialize to much. We're a big club and should go for African talents already playing in Europe IMO ... rather than waste time for some youngster to prove himself (something Africans, unfortunately, don't have a good reputation with).

PS. Maybe we could set an academy in Southern Africa ... they've obviously got the better players :tongue: Oh, almost forgot ... fucking Mugabe :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
teis said:
And you know him personally???

Nope, but you can tell ... he signed for United and then signed for Chelsea after they offered him more.

crazymilangirl

Busy, Busy, Busy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaka, Gourcuff, Gattuso, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf and Superpippo!!!!
ohh the popular mikel case ;) i never actually got what exactly happened but him and his agent arent exactly popular in norway and with morgan andersen :tongue:

but it's good that we are looking in africa, all i know is that norwegian clubs gets heaps of talents from all countries but specially nigeria...right now Lyn got like 5 nigerian players and they get them really cheap (call them con ment ) and then sell them for like millions, like they did with mikel!
rumour has it that lyn payed mikels parents only $1000 when they were getting him first :rolleyes:

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
crazymilangirl said:
but it's good that we are looking in africa, all i know is that norwegian clubs gets heaps of talents from all countries but specially nigeria...right now Lyn got like 5 nigerian players and they get them really cheap (call them con ment ) and then sell them for like millions, like they did with mikel!
rumour has it that lyn payed mikels parents only $1000 when they were getting him first :rolleyes:

I know Lyn has some striker that Man U were tracking +someother clubs..forgot his name...

crazymilangirl

Busy, Busy, Busy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaka, Gourcuff, Gattuso, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf and Superpippo!!!!
Edi said:
I know Lyn has some striker that Man U were tracking +someother clubs..forgot his name...
umm..was his african? cause there is one called Edu (lol almost your name) and well he was extremely popular for a while :D dunno what happened though

dont follow the norwegian league but it should start soon :)

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
crazymilangirl said:
umm..was his african? cause there is one called Edu (lol almost your name) and well he was extremely popular for a while :D dunno what happened though
Ah it was Chinedu Ogbuke I remmebered now.I read few EPL sides were intrested in him:)

gj3

Return Of The King
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Ronaldinho, C.Ronaldo, Oddo, Gourcuff
Finally scouting somewhere other then Brazil, good luck Desailly

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
I dont think tribal posted the info first.The thread was opened on 27th of march and I read somewhere 10 days earlier I think maybe goal.com or calciomercato that Desailly will scout from Milan...

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Edi said:
I dont think tribal posted the info first.The thread was opened on 27th of march and I read somewhere 10 days earlier I think maybe goal.com or calciomercato that Desailly will scout from Milan...

Hmm a quick google search didnt reveal that - its possible the news articles may have been deleted.
If there arent any reliable links though, its hard to beleive. With the past desailly has had with milan, you would think there would have been atleast a mention on the official site.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@ Edi : It was reported Desailly got a JOB OFFER + a few weeks later assorted ITALIAN rumor mills (tuttomercato etc) confirmed he got hired as our scout for Africa. Tribal picked it up + so did some other news outlets, but Milan may or may not have been too busy to make an official announcement... in glitter + gold letters... on acmilan.com... :rolleyes:

I'm gonna email some folks now.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
radioactivenerd said:
Hmm a quick google search didnt reveal that - its possible the news articles may have been deleted.
If there arent any reliable links though, its hard to beleive. With the past desailly has had with milan, you would think there would have been atleast a mention on the official site.

I know I read the news before;)
It was reported first on the third of march

http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=23&a=35568

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Passion for *9* said:
It says "offerta" ;)

Well I know :tongue: .But I was just saying its not some tribal crap and that the whole story is legit...

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Edi said:
Well I know :tongue: .But I was just saying its not some tribal crap and that the whole story is legit...
Of course the story about the job 'offers' from Milan + Chelsea is legit. Desailly mentioned it in an interview w/ L'Equipe, hardly a rumor-mongering rag. The follow-up about Desailly being hired by Milan appeared on tuttomercato first, I posted the tribal version because I wasn't in the mood to waste time on providing a translation.

Can't believe how this dud is fussing over this thread... it's actually hilarious how agenda-driven some people are.

Status
Not open for further replies.