Galliani: No Big Moves In The Transfer Market

rony31

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
www.SoccerAge.com

06/03/2003. AC Milan Chief Executive Officer, Adriano Galliani has revealed that the European Champions will not be making any drastic changes or big signings over the summer as he feels that the current squad is very competitive. Milan will be competing for six trophies in 2003-04 (Champions League, Coppa Italia, UEFA Super Cup, Italian Super Cup, Intercontinental Cup and of course the Scudetto) and Galliani believes a core 25-man squad with some younger players in reserve would be adequate to compete on all fronts.

Speaking from Parghelia where Milan's 2003 strategy workshop is being conducted, the Italian League President said, "We will sign an important defender, not Chivu because he is a half-back and we are covered in that role with first-teamers Nesta and Maldini, and first-rate reserves like Laursen, Costacurta and Roque Junior."

That important defender is most likely going to be Cafu who is on the verge of signing for the Rossoneri following a medical examination. Milan are keen to seal that one weak spot in their defence at right-back and if the deal does not go through, Milan will focus their attention on one of Jaap Stam, Michel Salgado and Cosmin Contra. :D

Galliani also confirmed that Dane Thomas Helveg will join bitter rivals Inter after completing his loan period with Milan. He had been traded to the Nerazzurri back in 2001, but spent a further two seasons in the red-and-black half of the city. :cry: Ibrahim Ba :cry: and Jose Antonio Chamot will also be leaving following contract expirations.

Galliani also stressed that no major changes would be made anywhere else on the pitch.

"The team for the next season can count on eight defenders. As for the attack, young talent Marco Borriello will be added to the three present strikers: We do not need any other big names to compete with Pippo and Sheva."

Borriello has spent the season at loan with Empoli and is a regular with the Italy U-21 side. This statement also confirms that, despite speculation of a move away, Jon Dahl Tomasson will remain at the club.

When quizzed about Abbiati's contract the CEO said, "Abbiati is off the transfer list, he will stay at Milan until I am chief executive. He was decisive against Inter in the Champions League and clinched the Coppa Italia, playing the final."

Milan will also have to sort out the details involving the contracts of four players out on loan: Massimo Donati (Torino), Cyril Domoraud (Espanyol), Demetrio Albertini and Jose Mari (both Atletico Madrid). It is still unclear if they will all return to Milan or be sold.

AC Milan will start pre-season training on July 19th and will play a familiar foe, Juventus, twice: first in the Berlusconi Trophy on August 17th and then in the Italian Super Cup on August 23rd or 24th.

BA'S LEAVING!!! :eek: :cry: :head: [/u]

efford

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
What happened to that "One big signing-talk" ???? was that all rumours..? or is this simply a rumour? does anyone for shure know whats for real and whats not?

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
The one big siging has basically turned into a search for a right back, namely Cafu ;)

mamma_mia!

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
yay borriello is coming back!
I think he might just be saying that rather than saying "we are gonna get la di da" on the team and it backfires its always nice to have a surprise rather than disappointment.

juninho-paulista

rubro-negro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Timmy Cahill and Mr. Leite
Seems Galliani has drifted away from the Ronaldo-Beckham-Figo thing... he almost guaranteed one of these three, but recently has ruled them all out seperately (Beckhams Vodafone contract, Figo being an "old pursuit" and Ronaldo being happy in Madrid or something..) so i dont think this major signing will occur..

if Galliani doesnt have anything up his sleve, it looks like Cafu will be our "major" signing this transfer campaign.. :o

*rossonera*

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
2 questions:

1) why would milan want to play the ITALIAN supercup in JAPAN?

my take: perfect timing + LOCATION to launch becks' official milan shirt. milan will make millions then + there just by selling merchandise. ;)

2) why did galliani write a love letter to totti?

???

i'm pretty sure the big name will arrive, and it'll be either totti or beckham.

who does galliani think he can fool? alleged vodafone trouble is just a smokescreen. of course players of a certain format have their individual sponsorship + advertising deals nowadays, and to reach a mutually acceptable agreement for becks would be a piece of cake, really.

hell, we might even see 2 big-name signings! ;) not that i would be too happy about that as i'd rather see *some* of the CL money save on a swiss bank account... but whatever makes milan stronger... :devil2: