Sandro Tonali Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
(quoting a post from the commode)

If you end up contradicting yourself all the time then why are you still preaching?

:fp:

I mean that I won't hold on to an opinion just because.

Like you're doing.

I know the point you're trying to make, but you seem to not understand that I wasn't saying that playing regularly for Milan is bad for his development. It most likely isn't.
However if the floor is too low then we can't afford to field him regularly. Maybe he needs to spend more years at a provincial side, this time in a more challenging, established midtable side where he isn't guaranteed a starting role, instead of hopeless newcomers like Brescia.
I think 18 year old Locatelli's floor was high enough to be a backup for Milan. I was more than fine with him as backup and potential future starter. But spending a few years as a starter at Sassuolo has clearly done him well. I do think that the Milan experience toughened him up a bit, and that he needs to return to a big club to grow further, but Sassuolo seems to have given him something which a demanding, high pressure environment couldn't.

I feel that Tonali has arrived at the wrong time. We already have two young starting midfielders who will hopefully not leave anytime soon. We don't have a single 30+ player in the midfield department. One immensely valuable aspect of the big club experience for young players is the opportunity to train with and learn from veterans, champions. Last season we had Biglia at least. He didn't win any important trophies and he never was a player for double pivot systems, but I remember Bennacer mentioning the important role which Biglia has played in his growth, always giving him advices* etc. Biglia also seems to have been sort of a mentor for Kessie, despite the bizarre scenes in one of the 2019 derbies.
Now imagine if we had an actual campione, someone who could lead by example even at that stage of his career.

I'm sure Kessie and Bennacer now have learned a thing or two to pass on to Tonali, but it's not exactly like when Thiago Silva arrived to Milanello to train with Maldini & Nesta.

With that said, what's done is done and I'm glad Tonali's suspension is only for one game and hopefully he quickly grows to meet the minimum requirement. Patience is earned once that's met.

You are hammering in my point with every post of you write: you don't seem to understand talent development at a top club.

Take De Ligt in juve for example, after his meh season last year, one (who don't understand talent development at a top club) could have made the same argument you're doing with Tonali. He could have stayed in Ajax and continue his development, but Juve decided to bring him in.

Clubs are after talented players like wild dogs, if you don't jump on chances like this then other teams will. Inter was going to bring him in before we made the swoop for him. Apparently management see something in him that you don't see... and like I always tell commoders, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Tonali is a great talent, 2020 golden boy in Italy. He's got the physique, technique and mentality for this level and he's showing it already, indeed meeting the minimum requirements. I'm very happy we brought him in when we did.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:fp:

I mean that I won't hold on to an opinion just because.

Like you're doing.

I'm referring to you preaching and shaming posters for certain opinions or behavior which you are guilty of yourself.
One day you're a positivist who shame those who aren't, the next day you're shitting on the club.

Were you as passionate about defending Calabria when he was going through bad spells? I'm pretty sure you were among those who kicked him while he was down.
Look at him now.

Changing views on a player is normal. Plenty of players have surprised me after I gave up on them, such as Rebic.

However this isn't even a case where I give up on a player.

Apparently management see something in him that you don't see... and like I always tell commoders, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've already said that I think he has great potential. I'm not one of those who see nothing in him. Again, you're quick to generalize and make it about an "understanding", which you've not showcased yourself.

We disagree on this signing. That's it.
Hopefully Tonali proves me wrong and shows he deserves a spot in this squad in the remainder of the season.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Lmao ^

-----

Tonali is having a better start than Kessie and Bennacer to his Milan career.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Lmao ^

-----

Tonali is having a better start than Kessie and Bennacer to his Milan career.
Not better than Bennacer. Sure he did mistakes at the start, but showed more potential than Tonali has shown.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
He owes his teammates after his ridiculous sending off. That hurt the team against Benevento and massively in the Juve game with Calabria having to play in midfield.

I expect a reaction from him tonight.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
the shit this kid gets here shows how high the expectations people have for him

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Very wrong.

Yep. Kessie was good for a while, then got bad, then was in patches until his top quality performances across 2020. Bennacer was good, with the exception of his reckless yellow cards every game but he learned to play more controlled.

I love Tonali but it's clear he has some big issues in his game, which he can learn. Too many misplayed passes that give the ball away if the glaring one for me. It has and can cost us. He's still very young though so I'm sure he'll grow, no doubt on that. And it'd be a mistake to pressure him into becoming what the media say in one season here. But, that's how the football world is. Cruel and unforgiving. Just like VultureSheva's database of football stats.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Best game for us yet. Great performance and energy. Keep it up Sandro!

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
This guy got swag and if you can't see it then I feel bad for you.

I've played with some players like him, they want to stick to the centre of the pitch and show off their cool passing technique. You can't deny the talent but in Arabic we say he is "a philosophiser" which is when someone irritatingly tries to be a philosopher.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
hustle and pace :cool:

and i agree about his passing... he has pulled off a few fucking magical balls so far what are people on

its inconsistent but to say you dont even see hes got a passing ability is just :lol:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
I mostly impressed with his pace and physique.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I mostly impressed with his pace and physique.

And the fact he works extremely hard, he hasn?t let the golden boy talk go to his head. He nearly ran himself to death today in a Coppa match.

I think he?s going to be just fine.

IL Diavolo 3

Fester
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
My boy Sandro, few posters need to be fed your balls son.

Plant them deep in their throat. I need them mute...

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Something to consider, I keep seeing a lot of people say like “that’s going to cost us” or something along those lines. Think about it, with bennacer missing time, Tonali has been more or less the starter this season. He has more games started than Bennacer. And except the Lille game, the team has still been winning, with him in one of the most important positions on the field. He didn’t play the juventus match obviously.

Now I realize the team morale is very high, and they function well as a unit. Tonali hasn’t been great in every game, and no doubt Kessie is a big reason why the machine keeps going when Bennacer is out. Hakan too. Getting sent off like that is one example of a mistake that you can’t make a habit of. But the point stands, the team has been winning with Tonali as a consistent starter, and that’s with many other key players out as well during many of his recent starts. He is not the liability some make him out to be.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He never was a liability in terms of effort and defensive workrate, his passing is just light and shadow at the moment, but he can reach a super high level there if he improves his consistency.

Next season he will be much better imo with a corona free preseason and chemistry with the team. Even now he is really important and our most important depth signing this season.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Excellent defensively tonight.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
another good game. new signing should give him some rest and motivation.

I believe the pigeons who got their houses destroyed frequently during his long passes last game would disagree.

and i would believe the new signing would put him on the bench, if meite is good as it seems and bennacer is back, he would be lucky if he played in copa and EL games.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tonali is a lot better in defense currently and has a better passing range than Meite.
I‘m more courious how it will go between Bennacer and Tonali with one coming from injoury and the other being on a positive streak of form.

However there wont be a shortage of minutes for our CDMs.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
Tonali has been perfect tactically on this last 2 weeks. Still needs time with the ball tho, but defensively is covering all over center field and relieving the work on the last line.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tonali is a lot better in defense currently and has a better passing range than Meite.
I?m more courious how it will go between Bennacer and Tonali with one coming from injoury and the other being on a positive streak of form.

However there wont be a shortage of minutes for our CDMs.

His current form allows Bennacer to fully heal instead of being rushed back, which is great.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
He's been looking better and better and with time will be top notch. He seems to finally be adapting to the 2 man mid positionally as defensively he's been excellent recently. Well done, keep it up, and still needs time to properly cultivate his talent. Once his confidence rises further, he will start adding more of the creativity we know he possesses. I'm looking forward to his development with us :thumbsup: