The Rumour Commode XLIV: Paragliding to Piolistine Crisis

Rigore to save your life: choose your player

• Total voters

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Buying a CB makes just a lot of sense even with summer mercato in mind. We could see up to 4 CBs leaving realistically. That one will likely happen imo.

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Savićevićic, Baresi, Rikjaard, Pippo, Desailly
I largely agree with your post until this part:

The management made this happen, not simply by firing Maldini, but by throwing mud at him. They did. It is not just Scaroni publicly bashing him, but how they kept leaking to the press all the horrible stuff Maldini was supposedly going to do, all wrapped up with placing CDK squarely on him. Pirlo rumors, and on and on. Making him look terrible.

They could have fired him, and just said "we appreciate him, he will always be our legend, but we are going to make a change in direction." They tried to mitigate the heat for their choices, by shitting on him.

Maybe it was all true? Maybe Maldini has fooled everyone for decades? Maybe he was power hungry, wanted Pirlo, and slapped babies in the face too?

Fine, you fired him, that was enough heat, you sold Tonali, which has aged well because of his stupidity with gambling, but it was a big decision. Why give him reason to respond? Whether you think he's defending himself or betraying the club, it was still something created by choices of the management, which again, isn't about firing him or not.

The choices the management made were big choices and they made it very clear that Maldini was the one holding the team back with his transfers and that he shackled Pioli. The reports are there, the comments from Scaroni and Furlani are there, the comments about directors not being at signings because of egos--all of that stuff is there, they made sure to pile on.

If they won, they'd be vindicated. Things don't look great right now, and maybe they will win in the end? I hope they do. Genuinely, I do.

When Berlusconi took over Milan, he made choices that were unpopular. Firing Liedholm and then hiring Sacchi, were daring moves but they worked. If they failed, Berlusconi would have been widely mocked, but his ability to create success was part of his entire branding and how he used sports to further his political ambitions and profile.

You know all these things, of course, but for me, Redbird made big moves that look... lateral, so far. Again, I hope Jovic becomes Sheva and Musah is Seedorf and Pellegrino gets his number retired, while Chuk becomes the next Salah and Robben combined.

But they chose this path. A brash path. One that required results. Whether you think our Scudetto was a fluke or not, whether it was lucky or not, it happened, it raised the bar of expectations. And so did the CL semi final. Same deal, lucky or not, fluke or not, these milestones have had a clear impact on how this team is discussed.

So what Maldini did, you're right. It was released at a time when Maldini looks the most right. If they go on to win the CL, Maldini will be mocked. If they finish outside the top four, Redbird will be crushed.

But the nature of his comments are a product of their choices. How they decided to handle it.

Maldini's words carry weight, but if the players cannot cope with some added pressure then we are fucked. If management can't deal with pressure, then we're really fucked, because they don't have the goodwill to weather storms, and they have acted in a way that ensured they didn't. Which is fine, if you win.

Larry Bird trash talking wouldn't be funny if he was terrible. Berlusconi being brash and bombastic wouldn't be endearing to his supporters if he had Moratti-like results.

Which is why I find comparisons to Mirabelli to be odd. Mirabelli has continued to talk a lot, but worse yet, he had one summer where he spent an insane amount of money... and the team was terrible. If Mirabelli built a squad who were largely great, people would listen to him more, but even more importantly--and correct me if I'm wrong--the club didn't go out of its way to shit on him. The fiasco of the Li era, and his squad, were on full display.

I wasn't thrilled that Maldini spoke out. I was expecting that it would take a while for us to hear his side. But, I get why he did it. Redbird put themselves in this spot. If we want to talk about Maldini talking to the press when he was our TD still, okay fine. Let's also look at Redbird management there: they asked him to write a plan to win the CL. That was their bar. They didn't communicate with him about it, and cut his budget, severely. If the bar for them is winning the CL (music to my ears btw) but they're cutting the budget and not talking to him, what do they expect their very famous and admired TD is going to do when you (the management) parade him to convince people of the viability of your project and the need to move from San Siro?

I see incompetence and a distinct lack of strategic thinking.

Again, let's assume Maldini was all the things they said, an ego maniac, who punched orphans. Your customers (fans) love him and listen to him and you sell his face to make money, if you treat him like shit, it's going to come back at you, badly.

All I see is mismanagement, honestly. Gazidis's reputation has been enhanced by his time at Milan, at Arsenal he is reviled. But Maldini talking about what he had to fight for, etc, fine, every organization has these stories, even prime Galliani and Braida and all them. Elliott seems to have been the most shrewd here, but again, what I see is ego-driven choices by Redbird.

Again, not about firing Maldini, I am assuming it was the correct decision for my point about the larger mismanagement of Redbird, the mismanagement here is in how you handled Maldini, as an employee (you could have let him go when you took over and taken that heat but you didn't want to) and how you handled yourself after you terminated him.

This was a predictable outcome, and if they were 1st in Serie A and the CL this interview probably doesn't happen. But you made choices that required you to show out. You don't make those moves to finish 3rd, while the underlying problems that existed before are still there or have gotten worse.
What he said ✌️

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What I find weird about David is that he is statistically good at passing but has a low number of assists. Giroud has 3 times the assist quota, and while Giroud is generally great at assists it is still something that jumps out.

gioiuzza

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I still want Santiago Gimenez

but I guess most likely for him is PL in the summer

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
My point is that exposing your squad to these sorts of distractions are a consequence of Redbird's actions.

Actions have consequences. Tonali and Donna both got very different receptions from Milan fans when they came to San Siro, not because they left, but because of the context of what happened.

If we lost to a newly promoted side, that would be on Pioli and his team. Pioli doesn't need distractions to lose to relegation teams, anyway. The statistics around his tenure with injuries was laid out and was stark. His record against big teams in big games has become worse, and we are worse off points wise than we were last year (I believe).

I am not cheering on Maldini's words either, and while I don't want to speak on behalf of our enigmatic Scotsman I hope my high esteem for you is clear.

I just find the situation we are in, and those comments from Maldini, as a by-product of the choices of our management. Redbird were championed as ruthless corporate executives; and they have shown creativity, ingenuity, and expertise (so far) when it came to circumventing byzantine Italian regulations in identifying San Donato and purchasing the company developing that land for the stadium.

However, on the sporting side? I see lateral or regression. We have quietly returned to our 4231, while our injuries are worse. How you handle situations, like Maldini's firing, is just another example of how they are coming up short. There is a business utility in having manners, which is why I found the justification for his treatment as bad for business.

So the management opened this door, and that's the problem, because this isn't an isolated example of their processes being poor, but the latest in a series.
Yup, what he said ✌️

Kmoney

Dribble and Inshallah
Reaction score
Last night I watched the game against Frosinone because I couldn't do it live and I have to say that Chukwueze did much better than what I expected judging by the comments in the match thread :lol: Yeah, he lost the ball like a million times but was very involved with the play and did a shit ton of work in defense. Definitely needs a lot of work, but he is not as horrendous as he was in the first 4-5 games. I see a small but steady growth with each game.
Also scored a banger in our biggest game of the season. He has a good mentality at least. Positive and aggressive

Kmoney

Dribble and Inshallah
Reaction score
Jonathan David on something like a 5m loan + 20m option and a resale % + bonuses would be nice

He would fit Piolisimo quite well

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
My point is that exposing your squad to these sorts of distractions are a consequence of Redbird's actions.

Actions have consequences. Tonali and Donna both got very different receptions from Milan fans when they came to San Siro, not because they left, but because of the context of what happened.

If we lost to a newly promoted side, that would be on Pioli and his team. Pioli doesn't need distractions to lose to relegation teams, anyway. The statistics around his tenure with injuries was laid out and was stark. His record against big teams in big games has become worse, and we are worse off points wise than we were last year (I believe).

I am not cheering on Maldini's words either, and while I don't want to speak on behalf of our enigmatic Scotsman I hope my high esteem for you is clear.

I just find the situation we are in, and those comments from Maldini, as a by-product of the choices of our management. Redbird were championed as ruthless corporate executives; and they have shown creativity, ingenuity, and expertise (so far) when it came to circumventing byzantine Italian regulations in identifying San Donato and purchasing the company developing that land for the stadium.

However, on the sporting side? I see lateral or regression. We have quietly returned to our 4231, while our injuries are worse. How you handle situations, like Maldini's firing, is just another example of how they are coming up short. There is a business utility in having manners, which is why I found the justification for his treatment as bad for business.

So the management opened this door, and that's the problem, because this isn't an isolated example of their processes being poor, but the latest in a series.
There aren't many in here that I dont regard or hold their opinions in high regard.

This is a community, and communities are made up by and can succeed off the bs k.of it's diversity and differences. It takes a village to raise a child, and a community to follow a team.

Most folk want the best for Milan, I know I do. I maybe not be as eloquent as my dear @Samaldinho so on occasion he most definitely speaks for me haha. I feel we share very similar views, if we express them very differently.

So, the Maldini interview... What Sam said... No mud thrown at Maldini, probably no mud slung at RedBurd; but ultimately we're where we are based on a lot of RedBurd's decisions.

While they'll flaunt victories, they have to accept and front up to losses, it they're part of the blame. No one is blameless in this Milan currently, it's a cumulative effort.

Maldini's timing, totally full effect!!! But I understand why... Again, RedBurd fire Maldini and thank him rather than throw him under several busses to divert flak from them and I know I'd certainly hold them in higher regards.

@brk regards the selling the club or making a return on their investment by not winning... Simples, BVD or RedBull models bro... Buy cheap, sell high. Not that difficult with some knowhow and a great scouting network.

Like Sam says, we'd like to be wrong on so many levels so many times, but it's all a bit iffy and not looking great; less than half a season in.

I'd like to think nearly EVERY one of you guys would have a beer with me to shoot the shit, and I hope you all get my passion, even if it's a little OTT lol... Maybe it's cultural?!!!

But I gots nothing but love you all ✌️✌️✌️

Forza Milan and grazie Capitano Maldini ❤️🖤❤️🖤

Last edited:

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Interesting take on Maldini interview...

Paolo Maldini’s explosive interview has been described as a ‘pipe bomb’ which actually served to take the pressure away from the team before Saturday’s game against Frosinone, a journalist has claimed.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
somehow each of inter's players being good is all down to luck :lol: and not a rigid system that is in motion for years

They were at the brink of collapse and Inzaghi this close to being sacked. When they played Barcelona that CL night last year, roughly around the same time in the season as now, many considered it being Simones last game for Inter.

Unbelievably enough, they won that game, progressed the group and made it eventually into the final, almost winning it. That game, in retrospect, was a tremendous catalyst that set many things in motion who could have easily been a disastrous season for Inter. Now Simone is widely considered their hailbringer, the master puppeteer who maximizes all their efforts.

I hope our game against Newcastle can have a similar effect on us and our season. Things can happen and change so fast. If you told any Inter fan before that game how much Simone still has to give them, they would have laughed straight in your face. The parallels to us now are insane. Who knows what Pioli still has to give.

Last edited:

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
somehow each of inter's players being good is all down to luck :lol: and not a rigid system that is in motion for years
Of course consistently sticking with a coach has benefits, hence why Pioli should stay for the next years.
Inter also has a much older squad, they are by far the oldest team in Serie A, that brings different benefits and challenges as well.

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
They were at the brink of collapse and Inzaghi this close to being sacked. When they played Barcelona that CL night last year, roughly around the same time now, many considered it being Simones last game for Inter.

Unbelievably enough, they won that game, progressed the group and made it eventually into the final, almost winning it. That game, in retrospect, was a tremendous catalyst that set many things in motion who could have easily been a disastrous season for Inter. Now Simone is widely considered their hailbringer, the master puppeteer who maximizes all their efforts.

I hope our game against Newcastle can have a similar effect on us and our season. Things can happen and change so fast. If you told any Inter fan before that game how much Simone still has to give them, they would have laughed straight in your face. The parallels to us now are insane. Who knows what Pioli still has to give.
While I think the season isn't over yet, I think Pioli's time at Milan has run it's course.

We can still use this Newcastle match to kickstart our season, after a great start too it results wise.

You can simply see that Pioli seems to be out of new ideas, which isn't always a bad thing, sometime the old ways are fine... But he looks to have lost parts of the team and is repeating worrying patterns.

He gets thanks in part, but it's nearly time!!!

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
In terms of talent and what he could produce...im not talking about his character or behaviour
i've always said that balotellis talent is overrated.

well not always, maybe not during his first years.