The Rumour Commode XXXIV: From Mandela to Mugabe

Do you owe a jersey from other club/s?

• Yes, from a tier 1 club (man u, chelsea, bayern, barca, etc)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Yes, from a tier 2 club (leicester, leipzig, roma, sevilla)

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Yes, from a tier 3 club (midtable/lower rank club)

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • I am da Milan and da Milan only

Votes: 77 83.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Romagnoli had a horror game, but I don't think you make a decision on a player due to one game. Last season he was underwhelming, but until the Sass game, Romagnoli had been very good. What terms he would potentially be renewed at is important, especially with the rumors that the growth decree might be removed. He hasn't lived up to the hype, that's true, but the people who said he hasn't developed were quiet this season, because he did very well so far. The Sass game was horrific. Garbage. Dogshit. Romangoli's flashes of stupidity are even worse, because he tends to do many of the fundamentals correct, consistently, so his mistakes are that much more glaring, because they seem more random, rather than from certain situations. That makes him a more frustrating player.

I don't think Romagnoli is only a low-block player. Against Lazio, Porto, and Verona, he did well, and those are teams with skill and who press. Lazio, fine, we dominated them, but looking at the second Porto game and Verona, those are aggressive teams. Many wanted to fault him for the penalty in Verona, but it was super clear from replays that he was fouled. Against Atletico he was very good, but apparently that doesn't count. However, his Sass performance was horrific and came out of no where. I only wonder if his abductor wasn't ready to play two games in that short of a span. Which, again, goes to our training staff.

Di Marzio reports that Maldini has made an offer to Romagnoli that is significantly lower than what he makes now, and that Maldini is not unprepared for him to leave. I think Gabbia would do well with a year on loan in a Serie A club next year, if I'm honest. If we replace Romagnoli with someone, I won't lose sleep over it, but I do want him to finish out the season strong, because he's done well, and I'd rather someone step up from within our squad than having to buy someone new, especially when I think our attacking department needs as much of our resources as possible.

I'm a huge Kalulu fan, and despite his recent performances, I like him better as a CB than even a RB. But he makes mistakes with his positioning and marking that become much more glaring when he's at CB than when he's at RB. That makes sense, because he's a kid. Florenzi, defensively, has been fine, actually. It's his offensive output that hasn't clicked yet. If we are chasing a game and need a more stay-at-home RB, Florenzi has done well. But when we need production, threat, he's done very poorly. That being said, I hope Kalulu can get some reps at CB, and he might have to against Genoa.

Man, being injured and not being able to play has made me looking forward to Milan games worse, lol.
(y)

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
CB is not our biggest priority. Romagnoli just played an excellent game against Atletico, and Gabbia has been good much more often than not when he plays. We could use another young defender for the rotation but it isn’t urgent. DOTN overreact because we’ve lost 2 out of like 15 games.

There is the issue of our backline being exposed by speed and dribbling when Tomori isn’t on the field, it’s a valid concern. Our press is a lot more effective when he plays, obviously. But for all of Romagnolis faults, Pioli should be up to it for finding a solution. Romangoli(and Kjaer) are just not fast players, very simple. Romagnoli has gotten beat and exposed in some one v ones, Kjaer is better in these situations but has also been left alone sometimes and had to foul his way out of it. It’s an inevitable risk with the pressing game Pioli wants, I don’t want to sacrifice that style of play but maybe modify it. The midfielders keeping possession better would also help a lot. But maybe amp the press down a notch when we have a slower CB pairing, especially against attacking teams.
I agree, it's a bit of an overreaction. Not for January necessarily, but I'd rather we found a Maldini/Moncada approved young defender with more promise than Romagnoli next summer.

I'd like to swap Pellegri for someone more useful(one of the Alvarezes), otherwise I think it's not necessarily as important to strengthen AM/RW as many others here do.

If we get Messias going now and notch up a few wins we will be looking at the following situation after Rebic returns:

Leao/Rebic/Saele-Diaz/Messias/Krunic-Messias/Saele/Florenzi

That's pretty solid if we're over the worst in terms of injuries. What makes the January mercato interesting is what happens if Samu actually leaves - that would open up for a Faivre like signing I think. Imagine having him in Samu's stead, the possibilities that would give us. Same for Conti.

Some things look bleak depth wise now, but I think we're about to turn a corner. We need Ibra to really contribute over the next few weeks tho, I hope his body is up for it. The Ibra/Giroud experiment has been a worryfest so far.

Maybe bringing back Colombo wouldn't be the worst idea in the world?

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sensible post, but for me it's the feeling of "okay, at least he did okay and actually quite well these two games" and that's where I set the bar. At the brink of a contract renegotiation where he's rumoured to be offered more than the clearly superior and more experienced Kjær, its really crystallising for me that this isn't the right move forward. I may get excited over the signs he shows for parts of this season, but I know I'll be scared of him being turned inside out by some decent plus forward, especially as we play harder and harder opposition. Is him staying on as a third choice on 3,5m the right move when exciting and much faster talented options exist all around Europe/South America at bargain prices? We have a world class scouting department, let them find us a new CB. In the meantime we have Pierre and Gabbia.

I seriously think Kalulu has everything to be that 3rd CB, and eventually starter alongside Fik. He was in my opinion, with his lack of experience as context, absolutely masterful when he had his cameos there last season. The trouble with that idea is the place Romagnoli occupies in the squad. He's in the way, en route to earning wages he doesn't command and to an even lesser extent as time goes by. I'm sick of having a backup quality team captain anyway.
I think if he stays for 3-3.5m it's because it's cheaper to keep him, and perhaps they see him as important, but as I said, if he goes, I'm nonplussed. I love his potential, but he hasn't shown us that last year, but this year, I saw someone who fought for his spot, who didn't create a stink, and who has performed in big games for us this season. Sassuolo really dented my confidence in him, but that's recency bias.

Maldini has the license to make whatever move he feels is best. Kjaer was a confusing transfer to me at the time, but a master-stroke in retrospect. I openly said that spending 20m on Theo was a waste of money, because in my mind, we needed to put that money someplace else. So, if Maldini wants to grab another CB, I trust him and the rest of the team. I think we're on the same page so far.

Where I disagree with you is the idea that Kalulu can be our third choice CB. He can't. He makes a lot of positional and marking mistakes, he did that last year, and he's done that this year. His interceptions are great, is ball-hawk defender, and he reads the game well... when the game is in front of him. He lets players drift behind him, he loses his man often when runs are behind him, and when he's at RB, that's not as big a deal, but at CB it is glaring. Calabria's positional awareness and marking is great, if he had pace, he would actually be world-class, but he doesn't. Kalulu has that pace, which can cover up things, but Kalulu needs more work to truly be our 3rd choice, in my view.

A CB is not the glaring need for this January, I think a CAM and a RW are important. I'd take a CAM on a 6 month loan while we wait for Adli, but a RW (preferably someone who can play both sides), because even if Messias turns out to be the next Ilicic, we need more help on the wings. Faivre seems to fit the bill as he can cover multiple roles, but that's where I think our focus needs to be.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score

i have been youtoubing these guys. first time i hear of them...the Monaco guy, i heard his name but never seen him.

there is an aura of bravery about this one, Becir Omeragic. young Simon type. that's a big plus

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
He can't. He makes a lot of positional and marking mistakes, he did that last year, and he's done that this year. His interceptions are great, is ball-hawk defender, and he reads the game well... when the game is in front of him. He lets players drift behind him, he loses his man often when runs are behind him, and when he's at RB, that's not as big a deal, but at CB it is glaring. Calabria's positional awareness and marking is great, if he had pace, he would actually be world-class, but he doesn't. Kalulu has that pace, which can cover up things, but Kalulu needs more work to truly be our 3rd choice, in my view.
I agree he's got ways to go, but the raw talent is there. What he showed in aggressiveness and interception in front of the attackers was something almost as hard to teach as positioning. He is only growing, I would trust him to grow at CB as well. If he plays with Kjaer he will benefit from his experience, if he plays with Tomori he will benefit from having someone who can save his ass with speed alone if Kalulu exposes himself.

Recency bias is a good term, I think it applies for everyone's concern with the AM/RW situation as well(as it stands this season, I know it's been a well founded line before). A combined effect I hope materialises over the next weeks is Messias hitting his stride and Diaz regaining both confidence and physical form. If those two things happen, which aren't completely unlikely, and if Rebic can return as well - this will soften the impact of Saele's wastefulnes, Leao's tiredness and our feeling of lack of options.

We just have to weather the storm and find our mojo again, let's start with a win tomorrow.

I think you're right about the reasons for eventually keeping Romagnoli, but I don't think finance should regulate these decisions - but rather quality and room for growth. Romagnoli represents neither in my opinion, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Swagotelli

Supah Leagah!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Nesta, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Inzaghi, Maldini, Gattuso
Romagnoli is fine as a backup today but we need to think 4-5 years forward. Mission should be winning UCL again and doing what it takes to have personnel that can handle that level of challenge. I have no doubts Romagnoli is NOT a good fit for a team that wants to win UCL. If we are fine being ladri and challenging for scudetto then he is acceptable as backup.

Ryo

Billy's Right Peg
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Billy, George, Marco, Paolo, Charles, Fik, Pierre, Mike & Rafa
Another goal for Colombo tonight

If anything this shows he needs a creator to set up his chances.
We need more of those in our squad too.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Romagnoli is fine as a backup today but we need to think 4-5 years forward. Mission should be winning UCL again and doing what it takes to have personnel that can handle that level of challenge. I have no doubts Romagnoli is NOT a good fit for a team that wants to win UCL. If we are fine being ladri and challenging for scudetto then he is acceptable as backup.
I get what you're saying, but 4-5 years in the future I bet this team will look very different.

Five years ago this was our starting lineup: Donna; Abate, Alex, Romagnoli, Antonelli; Honda, Kucka, Monto, Bona; Niang, Bacca.

We don't know, for sure, what the level of our young players truly are yet. What will Leao become? Brahim? Tonali? We have some certainties in the squad, Theo, Tomori, Calabria, but it's clear we already have a Scudetto challenging team. Injuries are our problem. The next level for us is that our attack has to reach the level of our defense and midfield. Our defense and midfield are CL-level (not CL winning, not yet) but they are good enough, it's in our attack that we don't have enough yet.

Romagnoli would be a 3rd rotation option for a lot of big clubs, we will see what his market is this summer though, maybe I'm wrong?

If anything this shows he needs a creator to set up his chances.
We need more of those in our squad too.

Few strikers can create their own chances. Ibra is one of them, but in general, strikers need service. Giroud has had little service, so far, and when he does, he puts in dangerous headers constantly. He really hasn't wasted chances with his feet very often, and I can't think of some glaring miss he's had this season.

I think our attack needs to be added to. Perhaps it just needs to be healthy? But, in my view, we need more pieces. Creating chances has become a problem the last few matches.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
In terms of needs, our main need is to have a creative AM and a consistent CF. In reality, the management has addressed those needs by bringing in Giroud and Messias, but they have been injured/not ready for the most part.

We really need someone who can score over 25 goals per season and for that to happen you need someone who wants to feed him the ball.

I like Brahim, but he is not really an assist man; he is more of a support striker. His main qualities are dribbling and poaching. Messias seems to have quality but I am not sure if he can pick out a pass.

Up front, I'd like to have someone younger than Ibra and Giroud; and someone a bit more mobile. Actually, Rebic has the profile I am thinking of but his mentality is that of a winger in the sense that he doesn't finish with one touch (he likes to dribble). The good thing about the Uruguayan Alvarez is that he seems like a one touch finisher, I am not sure about the rest of his game. Actually, Girouds first goal for us early on in the season (vs Cagliari I think? We scored four goals) was a perfect example of the striker movements we need. I hope we can keep our players fresh for as long as possible.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
1-2 losses and this place reverts back to shit.

we need a win badly

R.Akbar

Allenatore
Reaction score
The forum turned so bleak that i might have to remind you guys that we're about to play againts our Shevchenko!

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Pelligri is going to have to show us a little something if he wants to see more playing time.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
There is the ESPN FC 100, best players in each position from 2020. There are a few Milan players in it, actually. Let's say world-class is being in this top 10 (not specifically, but let's say top 10 in your position is world-class) but in this range, and I think many of our players should be there.

From 10-1
GK: Navas, Emiliano Martinez, Ter Stegen, Mendy, Ederson, Alisson, Courtois, Neuer, Donna, Oblak.
RB: Pavard, Azpilicueta, Dumfries (LOL), Trippier, Jesus Navas, Kyle Walker, Reece James, Joao Cancelo, Trent, Hakimi
CB: VVD, Bonucci (lol), Thiago Silva, K2, David Alaba, Rudiger, Varane, Chiellini (lol), Marquinhos, Ruben Dias
LB: Shaw, Ferland Mendy, Gosens, Marcos Alonso, Raphael Guerreiro, Jordi Alba, Spinazzola, Theo fucking Hernandez, Davies (lol), Robertson
CM: Fenkie de Jong, Gundogan, Modric, Pedri (already?), Casemiro, Verratti, Barella, Jorginho, Kimmich, Kante
AM: Tomas Soucek (gtfo), Damsgaard (stop), Paqueta (Jesus Christ), Bernardo Silva, Mason Mount, Pogba, Foden, Muller, Bruno Fernandes, De Bruyne
Winger: Di Maria, Mahrez, Oyarzabal, Grealish, Insigne, Vinicius, Gnabry, Sterling (lol), Chiesa, Mane
Forward: Gerard Moreno (stop), Duas Tadic, Kai Havertz, Depay, Son, Neymar, Salah, Mbappe, CR7, Messi
ST: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Isak, Immobile, Lautaro, Luis Suarez, Kane, Lukaku, Benz, Haaland, Lewa

Looking at this list, how many of our players do you think should be in consideration? To me, the fact they broke it down between wingers, forwards, and strikers is odd because the difference between DM, CM, and AM is more stark.

GK: I think Maignan is better than Donna, Ter Stegen, and Emiliano Martinez. I also think plenty of those keepers are way better than Donna, including Navas, lol, but Maignan would not look out-of-place in that list.
RB: Calabria, as much as I love him, he's not at this level, I think with a little more experience, yes, to compensate for his lack of pace, but it does hurt him. I think he can be on this list, especially if Dumfries is on it, but I'd say he'd be just a step below this. I think James is overrated, but whatever. Kalulu has the talent to be on this list, his ceiling seems to be higher than Calabria's, but if Kalulu is a Kyle Walker-style RB then Calabria is more like Azpilicueta.
CB: Tomori is better than Bonucci, Varane, Chiellini, right now. I'd probably say he's better than Alaba, too. He's up there. Kjaer also wouldn't look out of place on this list. I think we have two truly top-class CBs.
LB: Theo should be higher than Davies, who is overrated as fuck--he did one move against Barca and everyone lost their minds. But yeah, we have one of the best players in the world at the position, amazing scouting and development.
CM: I wish this was broken down between DM and CM. Tonali, Bennacer, and Kessie have the ability to be on this list. They aren't there yet. Kessie played as a top 10 DM last year, but not this year. Bennacer and Tonali have the talent, but they're not there, not yet, but they can be. Pedri is a reach, to me. Tonali is truly an underrated jewel.
AM: Brahim is not there. If he reaches the potential that Man City and Real Madrid saw in him, that we saw in him, yes, he can get there, but he's not there, not yet. Soucek is overrated as hell, Damsgaard is too, he's not a top 10 player, and I don't want to mention Paqueta's name. Past those three, Brahim isn't close to the others on this list in production, he just isn't.
Winger/Forward: Alexis? No. Messias? No. Leao? He can be, he has the potential, but he's not there yet. Rebic? I'd say no, but he's a great player to have in your squad.
Striker: Ibra is there, and that tells you everything you need to know about the quality of world strikers today--or it just goes to show you how incredible Ibra is. Like the CB list, the striker list is sad. I think Osihmen and Vlahovic are both better than Isak, Immobile, and Lautaro. This is where we our scouting seems to be focused, this is where we need to find a long-term successor.

Our front four is the weakest part of our team. When they are all healthy, their intensity, wildly different styles, and unpredictability makes us very dangerous. However, the talent needs to be built up, investment needs to be made, and to be fair, it's started with Adli, Chaka Traore, but the striker position and the RW continue to be a place of concern.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
There is the ESPN FC 100, best players in each position from 2020. There are a few Milan players in it, actually. Let's say world-class is being in this top 10 (not specifically, but let's say top 10 in your position is world-class) but in this range, and I think many of our players should be there.

From 10-1
GK: Navas, Emiliano Martinez, Ter Stegen, Mendy, Ederson, Alisson, Courtois, Neuer, Donna, Oblak.
RB: Pavard, Azpilicueta, Dumfries (LOL), Trippier, Jesus Navas, Kyle Walker, Reece James, Joao Cancelo, Trent, Hakimi
CB: VVD, Bonucci (lol), Thiago Silva, K2, David Alaba, Rudiger, Varane, Chiellini (lol), Marquinhos, Ruben Dias
LB: Shaw, Ferland Mendy, Gosens, Marcos Alonso, Raphael Guerreiro, Jordi Alba, Spinazzola, Theo fucking Hernandez, Davies (lol), Robertson
CM: Fenkie de Jong, Gundogan, Modric, Pedri (already?), Casemiro, Verratti, Barella, Jorginho, Kimmich, Kante
AM: Tomas Soucek (gtfo), Damsgaard (stop), Paqueta (Jesus Christ), Bernardo Silva, Mason Mount, Pogba, Foden, Muller, Bruno Fernandes, De Bruyne
Winger: Di Maria, Mahrez, Oyarzabal, Grealish, Insigne, Vinicius, Gnabry, Sterling (lol), Chiesa, Mane
Forward: Gerard Moreno (stop), Duas Tadic, Kai Havertz, Depay, Son, Neymar, Salah, Mbappe, CR7, Messi
ST: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Isak, Immobile, Lautaro, Luis Suarez, Kane, Lukaku, Benz, Haaland, Lewa

Looking at this list, how many of our players do you think should be in consideration? To me, the fact they broke it down between wingers, forwards, and strikers is odd because the difference between DM, CM, and AM is more stark.

GK: I think Maignan is better than Donna, Ter Stegen, and Emiliano Martinez. I also think plenty of those keepers are way better than Donna, including Navas, lol, but Maignan would not look out-of-place in that list.
RB: Calabria, as much as I love him, he's not at this level, I think with a little more experience, yes, to compensate for his lack of pace, but it does hurt him. I think he can be on this list, especially if Dumfries is on it, but I'd say he'd be just a step below this. I think James is overrated, but whatever. Kalulu has the talent to be on this list, his ceiling seems to be higher than Calabria's, but if Kalulu is a Kyle Walker-style RB then Calabria is more like Azpilicueta.
CB: Tomori is better than Bonucci, Varane, Chiellini, right now. I'd probably say he's better than Alaba, too. He's up there. Kjaer also wouldn't look out of place on this list. I think we have two truly top-class CBs.
LB: Theo should be higher than Davies, who is overrated as fuck--he did one move against Barca and everyone lost their minds. But yeah, we have one of the best players in the world at the position, amazing scouting and development.
CM: I wish this was broken down between DM and CM. Tonali, Bennacer, and Kessie have the ability to be on this list. They aren't there yet. Kessie played as a top 10 DM last year, but not this year. Bennacer and Tonali have the talent, but they're not there, not yet, but they can be. Pedri is a reach, to me. Tonali is truly an underrated jewel.
AM: Brahim is not there. If he reaches the potential that Man City and Real Madrid saw in him, that we saw in him, yes, he can get there, but he's not there, not yet. Soucek is overrated as hell, Damsgaard is too, he's not a top 10 player, and I don't want to mention Paqueta's name. Past those three, Brahim isn't close to the others on this list in production, he just isn't.
Winger/Forward: Alexis? No. Messias? No. Leao? He can be, he has the potential, but he's not there yet. Rebic? I'd say no, but he's a great player to have in your squad.
Striker: Ibra is there, and that tells you everything you need to know about the quality of world strikers today--or it just goes to show you how incredible Ibra is. Like the CB list, the striker list is sad. I think Osihmen and Vlahovic are both better than Isak, Immobile, and Lautaro. This is where we our scouting seems to be focused, this is where we need to find a long-term successor.

Our front four is the weakest part of our team. When they are all healthy, their intensity, wildly different styles, and unpredictability makes us very dangerous. However, the talent needs to be built up, investment needs to be made, and to be fair, it's started with Adli, Chaka Traore, but the striker position and the RW continue to be a place of concern.
I don’t watch enough other football to evaluate others in comparison to our boys. But Theo, Maignan, Tomori, Leo, Diaz are the players who will def be on those list once we start having better run in CL…
With The bias on those channels, only regular CL ko stages football will place them on those lists.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Pelligri is going to have to show us a little something if he wants to see more playing time.
Yup and I'm talking advanced serious calico shit like being able to walk for 2 min straight etc :o

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
Pellegri wanting to leave…even though it’s understandable since he has not played much. But I would think that with Giroud’s injury he would be buzzing as this is his moment.

Anyway, 2 goals from him tomorrow.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Pellegri wanting to leave…even though it’s understandable since he has not played much. But I would think that with Giroud’s injury he would be buzzing as this is his moment.

Anyway, 2 goals from him tomorrow.
He's going to have a lot of minutes until the winter market. Let's see how he does. We will probably play a lot differently with him on the field instead of Ibra, and honestly that might be a good thing at certain moments.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Pellegri's been injured almost his whole career and now he is surprised that he is no starting for the biggest club he ever represented. Right...

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Zlatan to Corriere della Sera: "In the beginning in training, no one was running. I faced them one by one, and not on the sidelines, in front of others: in training you have to kill yourself. If I run, if I kill myself, my partner will run and kill himself for me. Everyone understood this except one. Leao didn't listen to me at first. He got there on his own. In fact, he has improved a lot."

It doesn't surprise me a bit. Everyone bar VS could see that Leao was being lazy last season. I'm glad he changed eventually.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Zlatan to Corriere della Sera: "In the beginning in training, no one was running. I faced them one by one, and not on the sidelines, in front of others: in training you have to kill yourself. If I run, if I kill myself, my partner will run and kill himself for me. Everyone understood this except one. Leao didn't listen to me at first. He got there on his own. In fact, he has improved a lot."

It doesn't surprise me a bit. Everyone bar VS could see that Leao was being lazy last season. I'm glad he changed eventually.
Ibra basically telling us he's the reason why we have so many injuries since he came.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Bennacer out of the squad vs Genoa because of illness connected to his inner ear.

The nightmare never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.