The Rumour Commode XXXIX: A Cardinal Sin

Do you think Leao will renew?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nefremo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
This same discussion has happened before. For Bellanova recently. Before that Cristante, Darmian. Plenty of examples. Maybe Kerkez will turn out better than all of them and we'll regret the decision to sell him. But that time is not now. Nothing to regret yet. And not sure how exactly he's proven to be better than FBT (yet). Barely played 6 games in Eredivisie. A couple assists and some interest on the transfer market won't do that. Even Theo took time to be defensively sound. Kalulu wasn't fuly relied on for a while after coming. Both made some big mistakes in their initial 6 months-year and were both criticized for those. Likely by the same people that are now also saying Kerkez (at 17-18) should have been given the Theo's back up role.

Some things simply just don't work out and many times it's just timing. It is what it is. We dug up the kid from some craphole in Hungary. Developed him for a while. He wanted to step up way too soon. The strategy didn't align. He didn't want a loan and wanted to leave if he isn't the back up in the 1st team. Quite a steep demand. Even in his own words, Milan didn't WANT to let him go. In the end, the club decided not to stand in his way. This happens. Why label it as a "Major fuk up" or anything of the sort. Especially when he hasn't proven shit yet anyway. Has anyone even watched a full game of him for AZ? Highly doubt it...

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have the mental strength to compete with FBT for a reserve spot, then you don't have the mental strength to play in front of San Siro crowd to begin with, let alone in a derby or in a final.

Yes, we bought FBT but we still didn't want to let Kerkez leave - his own words. We wanted to see of what stuff this Primavera boy was made, if he could handle the pressure of one of the most important locker rooms of Italy. If you want something, you have to earn it. Wait for your moment. For that one in a million shot. And then be ready and deliver.

That's exactly how Kalulu earned his maturity. No gifts. No immediate reserve spot. Heck it took even some badluck with injuries from others. But Kalulu didn't mind, worked his ass off and when his chance came, he took it. That's what makes him so mentally strong.

Kerkez chose another career path, which is perfectly legit and I don't blame him for. But reading these past few pages how people moan because the staff didn't just handle the keys to first team to a 17 years old Kerkez like it was a Fiat Punto baffles me tbh. That's not how great champions are forged. That's how we build this mentaly weak bunch of banter era team back then.

Last edited:

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Remember when Nesta said after winning the CL he felt like no one would ever take away his spot, and then the management went on and signed Stam?

I wish we'd be talking here like we were about to sign Trent to make pressure on Theo. We're very obviously not. But the very same people that are moaning since days that the good old days are gone moan because we didn't guarantee a Primavera player a spot in the senior team but - heck - even dared to to raise competition a little bit too (with FBT, mind you). Where's the consistency?

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
He was too young to be given moren than a pure reserve spot, we are a Serie A team, even if it takes 2-3 years to play semi-regularly it still is a short cut to top 4 level or at least equal to going through lower leagues where they play him.

He acted like we are some top 20 league where everyone with some talent gets instant playing time and wanted to force that here. Kalulu in comparison was patient at a higher age and similar squad role and it payed of big time for him.
Distinction - Kalulu was with the first team
Kerkez after being with Primavera was going to be sent on loan, he wasn't given the chance to stay with first team.

People have problem with Kerkez when we have best LB in the World.

I think they have a problem with the fact we spent 5 mill on an unreliable player while selling him for 2 mill - and this is during a time where seemingly transfer funds are very limited.

On the player - he made the best decision for himself (nothing wrong with that) and it proved right as he was selected for his NT and he has raised his profile.
Milan made a decision at the time which seemed best in bringing in a more experienced player and allowed the kid to follow his dream. It is the Milan way but we may need to alter it if funding transfers continue to be an issue as some people have been saying.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Remember when Nesta said after winning the CL he felt like no one would ever take away his spot, and then the management went on and signed Stam?

I wish we'd be talking here like we were about to sign Trent to make pressure on Theo. We're very obviously not. But the very same people that are moaning since days that the good old days are gone moan because we didn't guarantee a Primavera player a spot in the senior team but - heck - even dared to to raise competition a little bit too (with FBT, mind you). Where's the consistency?
One person just said we should get a better mid than Benny and was immediately ridiculed :proud:

ForzaMilan2

Milan fan since the 60's
Reaction score
Fav. Players
When I was young, Rivera. Many more since then.
Management Groupies are what I call homophones (yes homo :D), i.e. they all sound the same.
They will defend any dumb shit that management does (including the Dest, Kerkez and Origi transfers),
and then accuse you a range of dumb shit if you disagree with them.

Hell I can write a perfectly accurate management groupie starter kit and it will fuckin describe 90% of their posts :lol:
The top 10 would go like this
1) le Scudetto
2) You're a bitch/eeyore/negative person/ fan of other team
3) You only believe negative news about Milan but doubt positive reports
4) Fuck you Qaas
5) You're happy when we fail/lose
6) If we spend stupid money on an unnecessary transfer: "He's cheap/we needed a player like this"
7) If we refuse to spend $1 on a necessary transfer: "Player's shit/Unnecessary/Too expensive/ You need to be realistic, we're not PSG"
8) We're not broke. We simply won't make dumb transfers (then we gold plate Origi's toilet :proud: )
9) wE'rE aHeAd oF sChEdUle
10) I guess you prefer the banter/Chinese era don't you?

It's mainly attacks on any critic's character / fan intensity as opposed to addressing an argument
#JustSayin :o
Since I feel (in part) this is directed towards me:
- FWIW, I did not start the debate on the Chinese owners. Someone actually claimed they were better than Elliott / RedBird, and someone else then tried to prove they did not bring us to the brink of bankruptcy (apparently, the team losing a massive amount of money while the owners were defaulting on loans is an indication of a healthy financial situation, money to pay the bills would have just materialized out of thin air). I replied until the discussion became ridiculous, but I did not start it.
- I have criticized management decisions several times (as have posters you identify as "management groupies"). in particular, I agree Origi was a dumb move. However, I believe MMM + Pioli have a good track record, and there is a difference between criticizing and obsessing over mistakes (which is what some posters keep doing).
- I have tried (multiple times) to explain what motivates certain decisions (including driving to profitability), mostly because part of my job is to deal with US-based investors / VCs. Does not mean I like it. Of course I would prefer to see us spend lots of money on players, and of course I miss the good old days when Berlu would buy the best out there. That said, I understand the consequences of spending when you do not have the financial structure to support it (we suffered over a decade largely because if that). And, no, going in debt to spend on players does not guarantee titles or increased revenues (yes, it may happen, but more likely it will not end well).
- I agree some of the statements you list are ridiculous, but frankly I do not see them all that much. Also, this is is a Milan fan forum, so you should not be surprised if some posters get a tad defensive when they feel others are s**tting on their team. Particularly given that the current situation is much, much better than it was just a few years ago.

ForzaMilan2

Milan fan since the 60's
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Am really afraid that Leao will renew.
People in here convinced me that players walking for free is better for the long run.
:-)

Depends on the player, though. We are better off without Dolla, we did not really replace "figlio di puttana" (though I do not regret his leaving), I think the team is missing Kessie (even though his last year was disappointing), and Roma leaving is a non-issue. Leao leaving would be a problem, especially if he leaves on a free.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
One person just said we should get a better mid than Benny and was immediately ridiculed :proud:

Yeah and what has that to do with me? Or the point? Are you saying that person was right and my point wrong? Vice versa? Help me out here :)

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Since I feel (in part) this is directed towards me:
- FWIW, I did not start the debate on the Chinese owners. Someone actually claimed they were better than Elliott / RedBird, and someone else then tried to prove they did not bring us to the brink of bankruptcy (apparently, the team losing a massive amount of money while the owners were defaulting on loans is an indication of a healthy financial situation, money to pay the bills would have just materialized out of thin air). I replied until the discussion became ridiculous, but I did not start it.
- I have criticized management decisions several times (as have posters you identify as "management groupies"). in particular, I agree Origi was a dumb move. However, I believe MMM + Pioli have a good track record, and there is a difference between criticizing and obsessing over mistakes (which is what some posters keep doing).
- I have tried (multiple times) to explain what motivates certain decisions (including driving to profitability), mostly because part of my job is to deal with US-based investors / VCs. Does not mean I like it. Of course I would prefer to see us spend lots of money on players, and of course I miss the good old days when Berlu would buy the best out there. That said, I understand the consequences of spending when you do not have the financial structure to support it (we suffered over a decade largely because if that). And, no, going in debt to spend on players does not guarantee titles or increased revenues (yes, it may happen, but more likely it will not end well).
- I agree some of the statements you list are ridiculous, but frankly I do not see them all that much. Also, this is is a Milan fan forum, so you should not be surprised if some posters get a tad defensive when they feel others are s**tting on their team. Particularly given that the current situation is much, much better than it was just a few years ago.

Well, fucking fair enough :)

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah and what has that to do with me? Or the point? Are you saying that person was right and my point wrong? Vice versa? Help me out here :)
i dont think there is a right or wrong in this. We all have opinions and sometimes part overlap.

My comment was just a reply for RnB as a whole........unless you have a little book where you expect the cry baby squad (we are going to need faction registrations at this rate) to only respond a certain way with certain talking points.

If I was going to go after you the same way I would need to say something snarky like 'the accounting revenue boys should support playing the kid or selling him for more than gambling on 5mill and making a loss in the two transactions'

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So, since it‘s only half a season way at this point, would you guys sign Brahim Diaz in summer?

Some points in his favor imo:

+ He knows the team, tactics, players etc
+ Finding number 10s that fit into a modern set up isn‘t easy, CDK and Adli couldn‘t outperform him so far.
+ He represents a pretty unique profile among our attackers (small and glitchy)
+ We can probably get him for a good price
+ He can be a deciding factor in some specific games

and some against him:
- inconsistent as fuck
- Cannot play many positions really well
- Loyality to Real Madrid
- His loan fee was a good investmen‘t, signing him might tilt that price/performance ratio very negatively.
- He doesn‘t develop very much.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So, since it‘s only half a season way at this point, would you guys sign Brahim Diaz in summer?

+ Finding number 10s that fit into a modern set up isn‘t easy, CDK and Adli couldn‘t outperform him so far.

and some against him:
- inconsistent as fuck
- His loan fee was a good investmen‘t, signing him might tilt that price/performance ratio very negatively.
Brahim is gone. We got him for 3 years for peanuts. He proved to be a reliable rotation option, but he is not good enough and will likely never be to be a starter. No way in hell we spend 25 m for a player of this type.

BobbySwizz

Primavera
Reaction score

and some against him:
- inconsistent as fuck

I wouldn't consider signing Brahim, unless there's a significant discount and his wages are low. I think he is good for chemistry but, as your mentioned, he is wildly inconsistent which I believe has a lot to do with him being easily overpowered because of his size. He's not a bad bench option to have in the squad for depth though.

I imagine that if we sign Auoar he could essentially take Brahim's spot in the squad

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Brahim is gone. We got him for 3 years for peanuts. He proved to be a reliable rotation option, but he is not good enough and will likely never be to be a starter. No way in hell we spend 25 m for a player of this type.
Obviously not for 25m, but imo it‘s realistic that Real will offer 5-10m discount.

BobbySwizz

Primavera
Reaction score
I wonder if we are still in on Valeri from Cremonese for backup LB. It seems as if his contract ends this summer so he'll be free and good for the CL lists

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yes - for 12-15 Brahim is fine.
Anything more and we look other places as we also can play some CM there as well in a pinch.

Get a creative RW would be my preference and a Brahim decision can be made late if the price is right.

Caladan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka, Pato,

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Pioli pre-match conference:

Some words on Vialli: “We faced each other many times, I marked him often. 2023 didn’t start well, we are losing a champion of sport and life for all the values he has always transmitted. A generous, correct, tenacious, coherent person. A strong sadness, I feel like giving our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. It was a lot of stuff.”

On Roma: “A strong, well-structured and complete team. They combine good play in the build-up with physicality. A team that beat Inter and that we will respect a lot. We’ll be back at San Siro after 50 days and we will play with enthusiasm and energy.”

A medical report and De Ketelaere’s condition: “Tomorrow we will be the same as in Salerno, I hope to recover someone for the Coppa Italia match. Charles is fine and ready from a physical and mental point of view. I rely heavily on him.”

On not being able to kill the games: “We can do better, we know how important it is to unblock games, we are among the teams that score the most at the start of the match, I still think it is important to continue creating many goal chances. For the quality of my players, you have to score a few more goals.”

On Giroud working overtime: “He’s doing very well mentally and physically. In the immediate future, I don’t see any difficulties. The next 8 weeks will be demanding, there will be a need for ready players and I’m seeing positive attitudes from my players. We’ll face the next stages with concentration but always with attention to the next one.”

Do you believe in the comeback? “I don’t think that much can be changed in one match, we’re not there to count the points behind Napoli. To win the Scudetto, we have to claim a lot of points, we have to raise our level.”

Is there a timeline for Maignan? “We don’t have timelines, we’re going with the evaluations that the staff are making. I can’t say today if it will be in 2-3-4-5 weeks. Mike has all our support and is very eager, but he knows that we have to respect the timing because the muscle hasn’t responded as it should have.”

On Vasquez: “I spoke to him this morning. Nice presence, and a nice personality. He hasn’t trained for five days being on the road, today he only did a small part of the session. We’ll see in the next few days and then we’ll see for the next matches how his condition will be and what will my choices be.”

On Vranckx from start: “The possibility exists in every single game. We pick up after the break, I think giving continuity is the right choice. He and Thiaw are two guys with quality and availability, with particular characteristics and they’re ready to play.”

On the right-hand side: “Davide is a very strong player and I’ve never had any doubts. An intelligent and clean player in the game, we can get out of pressing better, he gives us more solutions. Whoever plays has his own characteristics, the important thing is to maintain balance and game concepts. Davide knows how to stay on and off the pitch, he knows how to attack, he knows how to play diagonally: he’s complete.”

On Leao’s renewal: “It’s a very hot period because he has to keep playing well (laughs). For the renewal, you have to ask other people. We don’t talk about the contract with the boy, we talk about the pitch, we talk about tomorrow’s match. He knows he has to continue like this, he has the ability to be decisive in all matches.”

On Ibrahimovic: “Ibra will be back next week as was foreseen in his work schedule and as was foreseen with the surgeon who did the surgery. Then from there, we will see how his recovery will go and when he will be able to play again.”

What does Leao need to become a champion? “Playing all the matches as he played in Salerno. He played an intense, complete match with quality and an attitude that allowed him to stay in the match for all 95 minutes, with the ball and without the ball.”

Tonali’s warning: “I talk to him every day, but not about yellow cards, but to better prepare for tomorrow’s match.”

On Kjaer: “Kjaer had a World Cup with some problems but not with a specific injury, but his condition is improving. I think that he will be back with us soon.”

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Why would they do that? They are not desperate for cash to get rid of him for a low fee.
I don‘t think that they want to keep him in the squad or that there are really buyers offering more than 20m, I could be wrong though. Also if it is between us and a third club Brahim might pressure a little bit and take a few millions off.

omer486

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Why would they do that? They are not desperate for cash to get rid of him for a low fee.

Brahim is not going to get any minutes in Real. They don't even use an AM and he's not Real level. They would sell him for how much they can. That could be around 15-20 mil. Maybe 12 mil if he only agrees to a transfer to Millan.

I say it's better to get someone like Luka Sucic for 20 mil who can play AM and CM, is good at passing and at long distance shooting. Xavi Simons is also doing quite well at PSV and looks interesting.

Last edited:

BobbySwizz

Primavera
Reaction score
Brahim is not going to get any minutes in Real. They don't even use an AM and he's not Real level. They would sell him for how much they can. That could be around 15-20 mil. Maybe 12 mil if only agrees to a transfer to Millan.

I say it's better to get someone like Luka Sucic for 20 mil who can play AM and CM, is good at passing and at long distance shooting. Xavi Simons is also doing quite well at PSV and looks interesting.
I love the thought of snatching up Sucic. I think he could fit into our system pretty easily. I hoped we would have tried to get him in the summer before we switched to focus on CDK. I imagine he could be like what we imagined with Szobo when we were on his trail

Xavi Simons looks good too

ForzaMilan2

Milan fan since the 60's
Reaction score
Fav. Players

and some against him:
- inconsistent as fuck
IDK. He may make a good sub, but we need someone better as a starter. At some point we need to start improving quality.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Depressing. Mike in particular, the uncertainty is cause for concern. I kind of see why we are after GKs, we need someone better than Tata.
I thought the Rico deal would have picked up more momentum now. I'm eager to replace Tata.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Brahim is not going to get any minutes in Real. They don't even use an AM and he's not Real level. They would sell him for how much they can. That could be around 15-20 mil. Maybe 12 mil if only agrees to a transfer to Millan.

That‘s not too far from Adli‘s profile, just saying.
Overall it probably depends on if we put the balance player on RW or CAM, with someone like Saele we can afford a more attacking CAM.

Rossonero81

The Little Red Rooster
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giusy Meloni

By me and rightfully so. Thank you. It is ludicrous to suggest Bennacer should ideally be first sub in a couple of years while he's our most consistent performer and is leading the R&B best player of 22-23 ranking. Why discuss a replacement for one of the best players in the squad when we have much more serious problems? We need to talk about strikers (competitor for Giroud), right wingers, defensive midfielders and central defenders. That's why I am amazed by the recent love for Saele in this place as it is clear that he's bench material at best. We need a good RW. A position that has been neglected for a very long time.

Rossonero81

The Little Red Rooster
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giusy Meloni
I love the thought of snatching up Sucic. I think he could fit into our system pretty easily. I hoped we would have tried to get him in the summer before we switched to focus on CDK. I imagine he could be like what we imagined with Szobo when we were on his trail

Xavi Simons looks good too

Too raw for us at the moment, but he's developing nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule