The Rumour Commode XXXIX: A Cardinal Sin

Do you think Leao will renew?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Again, hyper fixation on individual players is silly. It’s a part of talent scouting, you sometimes miss on players. Nobody is saying Enzo, botman, whoever wouldn’t be valuable here. But there will be other players. Leao, Theo, Tonali, tomori(really most of the team honestly) was at one point just a target in the same way Enzo was. You have to look at the trend over time and judge on if you get more hits than misses.

And if you think this club has a problem signing players, or that we get more misses than hits, I don’t know what to tell you. The club that remade its entire roster in 2.5 years has a problem signing players? Seriously?

Again, we should hope Maldini gets more freedom so he doesn’t have to choose between talented players we sign. That’s a sensible take. But trying to use like 2 or 3 players as an example of Milan being bad at evaluating talent is just wrong. That’s the kind of rushed thinking that makes clubs like Chelsea sell a Salah or De Bruyne before they should.

ForzaMilan2

Milan fan since the 60's
Reaction score
Fav. Players
When I was young, Rivera. Many more since then.
But it absolutely applies in this case. This isn't James Rodrigues. The kid is doing exceptionally well in the Portuguese League, Championship League and was the Best Young Player at the World Cup.

I don't get the excuses used to minimize the fact that the scouting and management lost a player to Benfica and that player turned out to be one of the best in the world.
Of course MMM are not perfect and have made some mistakes. Enzo appears to be one of them (though we do not know what actually happened, why he chose Benfica). However, their overall track record has been quite good, which is probably why there is an obsessive amount of posts on the relative small number of mistakes (some of you have a compulsive need to complain about something, there isn't that much to complain about, so you fixate on Enzo).

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You never want to wish ill on others but i've got my kit out:

voodoo_doll_s9ruzv.jpg

stevan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Of course MMM are not perfect and have made some mistakes. Enzo appears to be one of them (though we do not know what actually happened, why he chose Benfica). However, their overall track record has been quite good, which is probably why there is an obsessive amount of posts on the relative small number of mistakes (some of you have a compulsive need to complain about something, there isn't that much to complain about, so fixate on Enzo).

When the team backed out over Enzo's price, he went to Benfica. It's as simple as that.

The track record is definitely positive, specially when you realize how many players were replaced. But the problem is that after winning the league, they were supposed to build up on that team and make is stronger. And when you look at who the targets were and who was signed, you realize just how much of a colossal failure the summer transfer market was.

The team won the league and got new owners and yet virtually none of the new signings have showed anything special while Botman and Enzo, players we were after, are playing phenomenally.

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
Again, hyper fixation on individual players is silly. It’s a part of talent scouting, you sometimes miss on players. Nobody is saying Enzo, botman, whoever wouldn’t be valuable here.
people ridiculed the botman signing during the earlier stage of the summer once it turned out not to be likely, saying we have kalulu-tomori partnership that worked last season so we're good on the CB part

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
When the team backed out over Enzo's price, he went to Benfica. It's as simple as that.

The track record is definitely positive, specially when you realize how many players were replaced. But the problem is that after winning the league, they were supposed to build up on that team and make is stronger. And when you look at who the targets were and who was signed, you realize just how much of a colossal failure the summer transfer market was.

The team won the league and got new owners and yet virtually none of the new signings have showed anything special while Botman and Enzo, players we were after, are playing phenomenally.
I think Maldini is taking a much longer view than most fans. He's okay with missing a summer if it means he signs on for a long term plan that ends up with Milan as a dominant European force again. I don't think Maldini is expecting to win the title every season (yet). For whatever reason, we didn't spend in the summer. His contract was delayed, the closing happened after the window closed, whatever happened definitely affected the targets we wanted. If it happens again next summer, we riot. But I think they can be given some slack for this past summer because of the unexpected sale of the club. I don't think Elliott were planning on selling so early and these things take time.

omer486

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Again, hyper fixation on individual players is silly. It’s a part of talent scouting, you sometimes miss on players. Nobody is saying Enzo, botman, whoever wouldn’t be valuable here. But there will be other players. Leao, Theo, Tonali, tomori(really most of the team honestly) was at one point just a target in the same way Enzo was. You have to look at the trend over time and judge on if you get more hits than misses.

And if you think this club has a problem signing players, or that we get more misses than hits, I don’t know what to tell you. The club that remade its entire roster in 2.5 years has a problem signing players? Seriously?

Again, we should hope Maldini gets more freedom so he doesn’t have to choose between talented players we sign. That’s a sensible take. But trying to use like 2 or 3 players as an example of Milan being bad at evaluating talent is just wrong. That’s the kind of rushed thinking that makes clubs like Chelsea sell a Salah or De Bruyne before they should.

Milan are good at evaluating talent. With another 30 mil to spend, Maldini would have signed Enzo, Botman, along with CDK. Owners only let them spend 35 mil net.

ForzaMilan2

Milan fan since the 60's
Reaction score
Fav. Players

The blame mostly goes to Elliott (and perhaps RedBird) who should have made more funds available this summer. With the sale going on it is kind of understandable, but it was very disappointing nevertheless.

As for this summer's transfers, I think the jury is still out (well, possibly except Origi). The fact that young players need time to integrate is normal, the ones that adapt quickly are the exception, not the norm. By your logic, Leao and Tonali and Kalulu should all be considered failures, because they did not perform phenomenally in their first 3 months. Also, the attack was seen as a bigger problem than our DMs (it still is), which is probably why priority was given to CDK.

With limited funds, it is understandable that MMM have to go for unproven players. I really hope that once revenues increase and losses are further reduced, we will see a bigger budget made available for the mercato.

Last edited:

ForzaMilan2

Milan fan since the 60's
Reaction score
Fav. Players
people ridiculed the botman signing during the earlier stage of the summer once it turned out not to be likely, saying we have kalulu-tomori partnership that worked last season so we're good on the CB part
The Botman signing should have happened in the winter mercato (that is on Elliott). This summer, Botman became overpriced for what he was going to bring. Plus with limited funds, the attack was seen as a higher priority than getting another CB (which is a fair assessment).

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
NO CDK SLANDER SHALL BE TOLERATED
The kid just needs to be played upfront instead of the tree

Definitely going to be fan favorite

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Thiaw as that big defender I wanted might even be a better option as it would mean we usually play with Kalulu and Tomori. Those two against teams we dominate against are excellent, we can push really high and we rarely get pushed back enough where we are threatened aerially (assuming Maignan is between the sticks).

We only really need a bigger option against teams that will see way more of the ball than us, which is rare in Serie A. Spending so much on a Botman means we pretty much have to play him every game, and if his limitations force us to not play Piolismo the way we want to, then it might not justify the cost. Maybe Thiaw ends up being the better move in the long term, who knows.
Positivity brain defects in perfect harmony :proud: I agree.

SecondStar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with the commentator. The handball against Danilo yesterday wasn’t called because the referee said it was unintentional yet this clown Abisso awards a penalty for an identical situation against Vieira. Mafia league.

actrader10

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Valeri the same guy who in vae didnt call the smash on leao at atalanta. Napoli seem to have a hold on the refs for sure. I think the refs love them. They fall over like bitches looking for a foul or red or penalty. They can fuck off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule