Do you think Leao will renew?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
But ADM would be expensive af
His price is a bit difficult to estimate, in summer he would probably have went for 50m plus but now that he fell down the pecking order big time 30-40m might do it? I´ d pay 10-15m on top of what Roma asks for Zaniolo to get him.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
His price is a bit difficult to estimate, in summer he would probably have went for 50m plus but now that he fell down the pecking order big time 30-40m might do it? I´ d pay 10-15m on top of what Roma asks for Zaniolo to get him.
Newcastle doesnt really need to sell, long term contract..no way they're giving him away under 50 if you ask me

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Newcastle doesnt really need to sell, long term contract..no way they're giving him away under 50 if you ask me
Maybe they get a bit more pressure to sell now that they will most likely be in an international competition and UEFA FFP applies?

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
Maybe they get a bit more pressure to sell now that they will most likely be in an international competition and UEFA FFP applies?
But even if that is the case, why sell him under his real value?

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
But even if that is the case, why sell him under his real value?
Yeah what is his real value though, he isn't the most productive player and also not a NT player (France NT is difficult to make of course but still), something like 40m doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. But of course he is also someone they could easily upsell at even 70m or so on the back of a good spell given how PL works.

pippofan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rivera, Altafini, Maldini, Nesta, Baresi, Prati, Van Basten, Kaka`, Albertini, Gullit
You should take this same logic, and than apply it to the current management.

"With Giuntoli Napoli came CLOSE to winning the Scudetto". Well with Maldini, Milan WON the Scudetto. Than you mention making the CL and Europa League. Well hasn't Maldini's team so far? Let's not forget Giuntoli's Napoli teams have also finished 5th, 7th, etc. And again, NEVER 1st. If we are willing to drop Maldini after the club won the Scudetto and sits in 2nd place currently...what will we want to do with Giuntoli when we don't win anything (since he never has)?

For the record, I think he's a brilliant SD. If Maldini was to leave for whatever reason, he surely should be considered. But there is ZERO reason to forcefully replace Maldini with Giuntoli currently. It's like our memory as fans can only go back 6 months. 1 bad transfer market (can't even say that yet btw since it hasn't been a full season) and let's get rid of people. And replace them with the flavor of the month. When that fails, let's do it again 6 months after that. Spalletti is all of a sudden everyone's top guy. Did we forget his history? Again, I actually think he is great. But fans have such short memory.

With that being said, nothing lasts forever, and coaches/SDs can't survive on past glory. It really is "what have you done for me lately"....only that this 'lately' part should be longer than 6 months. There are times when things simply won't go well. Nobody should be safe from criticism and that includes Maldini. But if we apply the same criticism that Maldini and Pioli are receiving to other SDs/coaches that are mentioned as replacements...than we'll see that they are no better. Maybe in the last 6 months they have been, but overall, for the period of 2 and a half years (this is what I consider the Maldini and Pioli era)...than no.

It's really hard (and almost impossible in a competitive league) to win the title every year. Sometimes things just won't go well as I said. Injuries, signings not working out, bad transfer market (it happens), bad form, mental lapses, other teams simply being in better form and/or having better seasons, even luck can play a role, etc. But what's important for a club like Milan is to always be in the mix. Always be competitive and be up there..in other words, not fall into obscurity. More specifically for us, that means no CL. And if that happens, than heads need to roll. In normal circumstances, the first to go is the coach. The SD will have another chance to replace the coach, to touch up the team. If it happens again, than it's the SD's time to go.
This hasn't happened to Milan yet. We haven't even had a "bad" 6 months. In fact, we are where we were last year at this point. You could say this is bad as it shows no improvement/progression. And you wouldn't be wrong. But that doesn't mean that it's a "bad" season so far. It's just that Napoli is having a season like almost no other in history. Cudos to them. Doesn't mean we start firing people though.
My main point is that Giuntoli has been great for Napoli otherwise ADL wouldn't have kept him around this long. His contract is up and many clubs are after him but he'll probably stay at Napoli. I don't want Maldini to leave, he's done a tremendous job up until this last mercato and deserves to keep his job but we need to do better. I think they should give MMM a budget and let them have complete authority on how to spend it without interference from above. A scudettto and two CL qualifications are huge achievements that none of us expected prior to Maldini. Giuntoli has been at Napoli for 8 years and had to put up with ADL who I think now leaves him alone, so I favor him over Maldini mainly because of experience besides his success on the field, (except for the last two seasons Napoli has won more than us). His club is also healthy financially because they are very good at selling players at the right moment. Maldini may reach or surpass Giuntoli's level but don't think he's there yet and needs to kill it next mercato if given a decent budget.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
I know some people don't like Zaniolo's attitude but at least he has some confidence l. I'd rather have him demanding the ball rather than CDK who is currently just moping about....
Exactly...he has the physicality, technical skills and mentality of a top player. In other words, he always plays like HE's the best player on the pitch. The only reason he hasn't reached his potential so far is due to injuries, irregular minutes and the usual inconsistencies of a 23yo player. For 20-25m max it's a risk worth taking.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
There’s every chance Zaniolo could be worse than Messias and Saelamander… but what if…
That's literally IMPOSSIBLE (unless he's constantly injured and never plays a game for Milan :LOL: )

• Thumbs Up
Reactions: brk

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah what is his real value though, he isn't the most productive player and also not a NT player (France NT is difficult to make of course but still), something like 40m doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. But of course he is also someone they could easily upsell at even 70m or so on the back of a good spell given how PL works.
40 mil is still well over what Milan would be willing to dish out for Saint Maximin.
He’s primarily a right winger anyway so not sure he’d fit into the team.
BS rumour tbh.

Edit: he plays on left wing… we need a right winger… right?

Last edited:

BreadPitt

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomori, Nesta, Maldini,Tassotti, Silva, Seedorf, Baresi, Totti, *Abate*,
Exactly...he has the physicality, technical skills and mentality of a top player. In other words, he always plays like HE's the best player on the pitch. The only reason he hasn't reached his potential so far is due to injuries, irregular minutes and the usual inconsistencies of a 23yo player. For 20-25m max it's a risk worth taking.
Agreed all things considered I think it's a risk worth taking. Sounds like he wants to stay in Italy and right now we are the only team who currently fits his needs.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
40 mil is still well over what Milan would be willing to dish out for Saint Maximin.
He’s primarily a right winger anyway so not sure he’d fit into the team.
BS rumour tbh.
Wait....we don't need a RW?

Funny how we are linked to Saint Maximin again. Remember us passing on the chance to sign him before he went to Newcastle because he didnt have the right 'attitude'.

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
He behaves as if he is the best player on the field, but he participated in the same number of goals as Tata. :o

I don't like people who have an unjustified high opinion of themselves.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Manchester City would be willing to offer Joao Cancelo to AC Milan as part of a swap deal to sign Portugal forward Rafael Leao - according to reports.

The only tempting offer. Except our tactics would be a little wild, we would have Salad as a defensive winger and Cancelo as an attacking Full back :proud:
Doesnt Cancelo play on the left?

Why do we need to WC LBs?

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
It's not a question of where it comes from, but fairness with the rest of the squad.

Just checked and he's on 2.5m net right now with Roma. (lol)

That's exactly the same as Tonali with us now. They're the same age. Tonali was a star in a title winning side and renewed recently after winning the title. I highly doubt Maldini will offer Zaniolo more than what he's paying Tonali. At the very least he'll just keep him on the same wage he's got now. Giving him 3.5m net is crazy.
We gave Origi 3.5m net....and the dude played like 30 games in 6 years

BreadPitt

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomori, Nesta, Maldini,Tassotti, Silva, Seedorf, Baresi, Totti, *Abate*,

Funny how we are linked to Saint Maximin again. Remember us passing on the chance to sign him before he went to Newcastle because he didnt have the right 'attitude'.
Like some people are advocating for Zaniolo?

omer486

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My main point is that Giuntoli has been great for Napoli otherwise ADL wouldn't have kept him around this long. His contract is up and many clubs are after him but he'll probably stay at Napoli. I don't want Maldini to leave, he's done a tremendous job up until this last mercato and deserves to keep his job but we need to do better. I think they should give MMM a budget and let them have complete authority on how to spend it without interference from above. A scudettto and two CL qualifications are huge achievements that none of us expected prior to Maldini. Giuntoli has been at Napoli for 8 years and had to put up with ADL who I think now leaves him alone, so I favor him over Maldini mainly because of experience besides his success on the field, (except for the last two seasons Napoli has won more than us). His club is also healthy financially because they are very good at selling players at the right moment. Maldini may reach or surpass Giuntoli's level but don't think he's there yet and needs to kill it next mercato if given a decent budget.

If Giuntoli were to come, he would be come in place of Massara. Both are SDs. Maldini is like the CEO of the sporting area, this position they call technical director is specially made for Maldini.

That might be a pretty good arrangement, Maldini with Giuntoli SD. Or maybe they could give also Moncada more power if they think Massara is underperforming.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Daniele Longo saying Bakayoko and Zaniolo have the same agents, guess we just don't wanna deal with more than one agency in a day
Getting shot of Bakayoko will allow us to transfer his hefty salary (3m) to Zaniolo so the two transfers are linked.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
If Giuntoli were to come, he would be come in place of Massara. Both are SDs. Maldini is like the CEO of the sporting area, this position they call technical director is specially made for Maldini.

That might be a pretty good arrangement, Maldini with Giuntoli SD. Or maybe they could give also Moncada more power if they think Massara is underperforming.
Dont get this salivating over Giuntoli.

Working at Milan and working at Napoli are vastly different.

Giuntoli has nowhere near the level of restrictions that Maldini has to deal with.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score

Whoopsie 😅
meant LW obviously…

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Guys what's likely to happen with Leao and CDK if we sign Zaniolo?
Well play with 1.88cm Leao 1.92cm CDK and 1.90cm Zaniolo behind 1.94cm Oli G (n 1.91cm Hojlund next year since maldini watched him twice already)

They might be building an attack of giants who can all run at defenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule