The Rumour Commode XXXVI - Mission Accomplished Edition

Zaniolo al Milan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbySwizz

Beginner
Reaction score
I've been trying to reflect on my Milan fan journey which is kind of hard for me to fully pinpoint. I'm from Bermuda and growing up people were mostly Man United fans. I played football when I was younger briefly (it was kind of a rite of passage) until I was about 10 years old but was always better at playing baseball and basketball so stuck with that even though they weren't popular sports on the island. As far as football, my dad was never a consistent sports guy but tuned in for the World Cup. 2002 World Cup is my earliest memory of starting to watch football and there was/is a HUGE number of Brazil supporters in Bermuda. I would have been about 9 at the time and didn't have much knowledge about leagues and stuff but there are mostly EPL fans in Bermuda. I used to casually have some interest in Liverpool because a friend of mine was a Liverpool fan, and I had a knack for scoring with Emile Heskey on FIFA lol. There were and still is a solid number of Man City fans because our most popular footballer, Shaun Goater, played for City, so I also had some casual interest there.

Around that time, my dad bought me a Rivaldo Milan jersey and a Real Madrid jersey for my brother from a guy selling football jerseys on the side of the road lol. I just kind of started digging into Milan and trying to find out about the team after that. I wasn't privy to the 2003 Champions League and only really started to get into the club more in 2004 but didn't really have the opportunity to watch many league games on TV, so I mainly watched Champions League (with 2005 being my first shock as a Milan fan). Two of my friends were Milan fans in school and we endured hell trying to defend Milan in school after that loss. but otherwise, it was rarely any interest in Serie A (probably because of accessibility to watching). The Italian conglomerate in the squad led me to support Italy internationally and despite some of the glory, I found myself supporting underdogs more in international tournaments, like Ghana in 2010 lol. When we got KPB I was mad excited.

Those first teams from when I started really supporting definitely had me spoiled. I'm glad things didn't go horrible while I was still in high school or I would have gotten completely roasted lol. There definitely isn't much of a following of Serie A in Bermuda. There are some Milan fans and a few Juve fans. I live in Philadelphia right now and I haven't sought out other Milan fans. I find that I often stay to myself for the most part with watching my sports teams. I generally assume most Americans have little to no interest or knowledge of European football. It's hard to trust people that call it "soccer" :lol:

This is one of my favorite moments:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
toronto-canada-24th-july-2014-guinness-international-champions-cup-E5A5NB.jpg

this was peak banter for me...we got trashed by fucking olympiacos 3:0 :lol: imagine the backline of zaccardo - rami - bonera - albertazzi :lol:
who's the guy between pazzini and el sharawy? i've been thinking for like 2 minutes and can't remember who that is :lol:

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Likewise brother! Just Norwegian and English, sadly.

I want to learn italian so I can read news and listen to interviews without needing help.
He said three you said two.
One more language from likewise.

Rossonero81

The Magic Eagle
Reaction score
I'm on the East Coast. The country is gigantic, and you can live in the same city as someone and have a completely different experience, it all depends on your social circle. There are a lot of Latin fans, and I've seen several teams who use Milan kits in our league.

Serie A fans have been quiet, but they're there. I would echo @omer486 that in New York, Philly, and New Jersey, where there are Italian-Americans, there are a lot of Milan fans. DC has a big contingent, and I think the SempreMilan guys are from there if I'm not mistaken?

I don't really experience the "Serie A is bad" vibes from anyone. Maybe because the EPL fans who talk the most are Chelsea, Man Utd, and Arsenal fans and no one credits their CL win, lol, and they're now a "disgraced" club, because I've never met a City fan, not once. Liverpool fans are oddly respectful.

But I think the US market is still up-for-grabs. I think white fans are inclined towards to the EPL for unspoken "cultural bonds" between America and the EPL, and I think a lot of their comments about Real and Barca, or the Italian national team, reflect biases that they might have. However, I help out with coaches and the kids are way more focused on players than clubs, my nephew has a Chelsea shirt, a Milan shirt, a PSG shirt, kids tend to be more agnostic and really fixate on players.

I think the key to undeveloped markets like America's, for Serie A in general, but also Milan, is that you leap from good money to super money from casual fans, and you do that by winning, stars get young kids, and I would hit the Italian-American community hard to create a base of support. That Serie A is only starting now, is honestly, pitiful. If I was in charge of Serie A, I would start subsidizing English-language podcasts/youtubers about Serie A, and it'd probably be smart to create a "Serie A TV" channel where people can listen/watch debates about Serie A like they do with ESPN or FoxSports, you have to make sure there is content. Make sure there is controversy, because that's what builds brands, rivalries, reasons for people to tune in, they talk about this QB and his IG account, who wants a trade, this is what fuels interest in a league. You have big personalities in Serie A, you have Ibra, you have Mourinho, you had CR7, and you didn't take advantage.

I'd also say that the EPL has put themselves in a tough spot with American fans, because I think the EPL has pushed this "social justice" vibe and I imagine the EPL puts out stories to shit on Spain and Italy about racism, they take the knee, which gives nice liberal Americans a further incentive to watch the EPL. Chelsea with Abramovich and the dissection of what he's used the club for, then you have City being owned by Abu Dhabi, then you have Newcastle now owned by the Saudis, only Liverpool fans are happy because their team has Muslims and diversity and they don't spend stolen tax revenue, while Arsenal and Man Utd, who are just well run (economically) are shitty, so the EPL's biggest focus is on the fact that the money that fuels the league is mostly dirty. Not just as big clubs, but like... at Everton.

Again, if I'm President of Serie A USA, then I hit that point hard (not directly, but via journalists, like the EPL do it, because I don't want to scare away investment) and if Investcorp happens, I would say "they are just a fund, they aren't the sovereign wealth fund of a country." I would play up American ownership, and I'd create a program to get American talents into Serie A like those who went to Germany.

Damn, this is long. I really am retired though. I'm making an exception because people are being thoughtful so I want to respond in kind.

I want to visit the United States for the first time in my life next year. I've seen pretty much every country in Europe, but have never been in the promised land. I won't go for the big cities, but more for nature and the countryside. One of my biggest loves is American music. Their best export product in my opinion. The old stuff of course.

Thank you for writing extensively. It's appreciated.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 1.5: Kaká - Tier 2: Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Kjær, Ibrahimovic

Kasoka

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Shevchenko, Gattuso, Ambrosini
who's the guy between pazzini and el sharawy? i've been thinking for like 2 minutes and can't remember who that is :lol:

Didac Vila?

Edit: Yeah Saponara makes more sense

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
What i find funny is that all EPL match highlights on DAZN barely gets 600 K views. While Serie A channel always has 1 m views for the big teams always

Sometimes more. Milan gets the most views

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
What i find funny is that all EPL match highlights on DAZN barely gets 600 K views. While Serie A channel always has 1 m views for the big teams always

You find that funny ?

Kasoka

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Shevchenko, Gattuso, Ambrosini

DAZN highlights are probably geoblocked in more countries compared to the videos on Serie A's channel.

Swagotelli

Milan swag
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Nesta, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Inzaghi, Maldini, Gattuso

Donnarumma: 'Next year no competition with Navas, PSG will make choices. The mistake with Real? I don't feel guilty, the goal was not good ' Zzzz

Swagotelli

Milan swag
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Nesta, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Inzaghi, Maldini, Gattuso

DAZN doesn’t cover EPL or Serie A in all countries. In the US for example, CBS has Serie A and NBC has EPL.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Spurs killing arsenal😳 i still think arsenal will make the CL

DeNiro

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Bakaye Traore, Taye Taiwo, Djamel Mesbah, Michael Agazzi, red card collector Palleta, Caldara, Matri (that’s ‘Tevez’ in an alternate world), Cerci, Bertolacci, Bocchetti tier 1 shit Milan players… worst of the worst. I’m sure I left out some obscure players. :lol:
I’m forever grateful to Elliot for cleaning this almost decade of mess. Picking Maldini was the best thing he ever did.
plus constant, destro, torres lol....for me the most depressing season was when pippo/brocchi were managing. Pure depression and hopelessness.
Montella brought some hope, then the chinese fucked things up. What a shit show we've all been through

Status
Not open for further replies.