The Rumour Commode XXXVI - Mission Accomplished Edition

Zaniolo al Milan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Personally, I would pass on Florenzi as he won't get a look in @ RB next season with Calabria + Kalulu ahead of him plus we're 100% guaranteed to sign a starting RW. Therefore, his transfer fee + salary seem excessive for a player with his injury history who won't receive much playing time. Having said that, I WOULD redeem him if the plan is to offload both Salad + Messias as he'll be a much more useful alternative on the right flank.
What makes you think that Kalulu is in front of him at RB? Pioli preferred Florenzi so far.

Geralt666

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibra, Tonali, MM, Seedorf, Kaka, Capitano
Honestly it's not even that much of a stretch to make it happen as I'm sure that Sassuolo's CEO would happily accept Pobega on loan for a season plus separate 10m loan with option/obligation deals for Berardi + Scamacca.

Botman 30M
Sanches 15M
Berardi 10M
Scamacca 10M
Origi 0M
IL LESBO 0M

TOTAL 65M
Berrardi and Scamacca would be in the upward region of 50+million in an overall deal. Cannot see them coming for less than that.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
bro there is absolutely 0 chance we sign Dybala lol

And Berardi is about the furthest thing from an MMM signing
I agree that our chances of signing Dybala are pretty slim (given Marotta's interest) but I've assumed that there's no crazy spending spree so he's the best low budget option available.

Re Berardi - disagree. RW has been a problem for years and he has 3 seasons in a row of double digit returns and is a hard worker who would allow the likes of Calabria + Kalulu to bomb forwards. In other words, he has the opposite characteristics to Leao which would help to create balance.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
What makes you think that Kalulu is in front of him at RB? Pioli preferred Florenzi so far.
Nobody expected Kalulu to explode this season plus he's been busy covering for Kjaer @ CB.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The mentality needs to be developed for pressing and to do it the right way. I'm sure Dybala can press better than Brahim Dias. I mean he's available for free and if he is injured Adli gets his chance. Win-win situation for everyone. Berradi's stats speak for themselves. Plus Italian
Brahim works harder than Dybala, but, Brahim has the body of a surprisingly strong 12 year old, not a man, and since he doesn't want to learn how to pass, Brahim is useless outside of being an impact sub, sometimes.

I don't want to have to teach 28 year olds how to press or worry over Dybala's injury record. If I'm paying 6m a year for a player (especially without a tax discount), I expect them to perform.

Berardi's stats speak to his quality for a midtable side. He scored 4 goals against us in 2014, he's been around and no one has went after him. Fiorentina bid 15m for him last year. He's slow, gangly, and doesn't press--our team presses a lot. He doesn't fit what we do, at all.

The only attacking players from Italy I would take at Milan are Scamacca, Chiesa, and Cancellieri. If we need to improve our Italian players, we should do that where Italy still produces world class talent: in defense and midfield.

Swagotelli

Supah Leagah!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Nesta, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Inzaghi, Maldini, Gattuso
Milan 2021/2022
View attachment 4431

These are Calcio Finanza numbers. I'm using them to see our next season budget with the expected transfers to understand what sort of window we can expect. So our total player cost is around 130m last season. We've been on a very consistent reduction of our total player cost every year since Maldini took over. Now here's the fun part:

Milan 2022/2023
View attachment 4432

Here's what I did:
OUT: Romagnoli, Ibrahimovic, Kessie, Conti, Ballo Toure, D. Maldini, Castillejo, Caldara, Colombo, Hauge

IN: Botman, Florenzi, Parisi, Renato, Mahrez, Origi, Belotti

I'm not counting players that might stay on loan like Brahim (Calcio Finanza didn't count them either).

I'm also assuming we're renewing and raising the salaries of all the players in yellow.

So what does that do to the budget? It goes up by less than 4m. This is absolutely insane. I'm assuming we're spending 95.5m to buy the players we need and all this is included in the calculation as amortization. The total amortization on the books for next season will most likely go down, because we're releasing a lot of players, but also because we're extending quite a lot (which stretches out the amortization over the length of the new contract).

What this means is that we can get all these new players, give them reasonable wages, extend and raise the wages of our key players like Leao, and only have to increase our budget by what we just got from Frankfurt as a bonus for winning the EL.

Our total player cost as a percentage of our revenue (300m) is around 43%. Way, way below the 60% limit that the FFP mandates.

To have such a low percentage and still achieve our sporting success is absolutely unheard of. This is one of the greatest sports management achievements in history, and the great thing is that it's not going to be a short burst like Leicester, as Milan has a much higher ceiling, history and ability to retain our players if we need to. This is a foundation for long lasting, dynastic success.

#daPlan
We are projected to make ~50m loss this year. With player wages at 43% of revenue (usually the biggest cost line item), any insight into what’s causing this loss?

Kuroha

Fiamma Nera
Reaction score
Elliot #daPlan (1).png
Doesn't look very expensive.
And if we look at the average age...damn, we'll build a hella fucking dynasti with this.

Last edited:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
FTH4DHMWYAAivhV

That guy in the back is Pioli Jr.

I thought he left?

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Berrardi and Scamacca would be in the upward region of 50+million in an overall deal. Cannot see them coming for less than that.
I don't think that any club is willing to shell out big bucks for either player up front. Instead, the best Italian prospects tend to leave on onerous loan with option/obligation deals i.e. Tonali, Chiesa, Barella etc so I think that Sassuolo will follow suit. Also, loaning both players at once and lending them Pobega in return may lead to some additional savings.

patosheva

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Suprising myself i would say no to Dybala,Renato at that posostion is very good.
My dream would be Aurelius Tchouameni
him Tonali and renato with great rw is what would put us in top 8 teams in CL.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Nobody expected Kalulu to explode this season plus he's been busy covering for Kjaer @ CB.
He only exploded after being fielded at CB, during Calabrias injury Florenzi was chosen over him. Kalulu of course might improve his position in the RB history soon, but at the moment there is nothing suggesting that he is more than 3rd choice.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
The mentality needs to be developed for pressing and to do it the right way. I'm sure Dybala can press better than Brahim Dias. I mean he's available for free and if he is injured Adli gets his chance. Win-win situation for everyone. Berradi's stats speak for themselves. Plus Italian
How is dybala a win win situation? He's gonna cost you 14mil per season as he's not egible for the tax shit, there's gonna be a big agent comission, he's not a cam and will not fit there, his injury list from the past 2 seasons is insane..there's hardly any positives signing him

• Thumbs Up
Reactions: brk

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We are projected to make ~50m loss this year. With player wages at 43% of revenue (usually the biggest cost line item), any insight into what’s causing this loss?
Our revenue was absolute shit for years it’s only recently caught up, and our squad cost wasn’t always this low. Each season it’s dropped significantly, at one point it was one of the highest in Serie A even as we languished in mid table. Now revenues are rising as well as costs dropping, and I think they’re finally projecting a chance for profit next season. This year it’s going to be closer to -40m, maybe less if we win.

This twitter thread does a great job explaining last seasons budget deficit and why it was still so big. It's getting better, though, and in fact Elliott has stopped injecting capital all together. We're almost self sufficient, which in football outside PL and especially in Italy, is very rare.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think that any club is willing to shell out big bucks for either player up front. Instead, the best Italian prospects tend to leave on onerous loan with option/obligation deals i.e. Tonali, Chiesa, Barella etc so I think that Sassuolo will follow suit. Also, loaning both players at once and lending them Pobega in return may lead to some additional savings.
Why would we loan out Pobega now that he is Serie A proven, we are already short on homegrown, young Italians. Also he is tall, so it makes even sense in terms of squad building.
Dybala is a certified passenger and far too old to change. Berardi on the other hand isn't even a lazy player.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Our revenue was absolute shit for years it’s only recently caught up, and our squad cost wasn’t always this low. Each season it’s dropped significantly, at one point it was one of the highest in Serie A even as we languished in mid table. Now revenues are rising as well as costs dropping, and I think they’re finally projecting a chance for profit next season. This year it’s going to be closer to -40m, maybe less if we win.

This twitter thread does a great job explaining last seasons budget deficit and why it was still so big. It's getting better, though, and in fact Elliott has stopped injecting capital all together. We're almost self sufficient, which in football outside PL and especially in Italy, is very rare.

Brk, why do you talk about finances? It's not like it impacts the team.

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
Darwin is a big no no...it goes completely against MMM's transfer strategy.

However, I'm high on Scamacca too and believe that he could be the next BIG thing in Italian football i.e. Tonali, Bastoni, Barella, Chiesa, Zaniolo etc so don't want to miss out. Also, he seems like a carbon copy of Ibra (although inferior) plus he averages a goal/assist every 1.5 games in Serie A playing for midtable Sassuolo so just imagine what he could do with a better support system.

In fact, we're probably better off signing Berardi too instead of some young, flash, foreign winger who may take a couple of seasons to adjust to Serie A. Also, the defensive, hard working aspect of Berardi's game will help to create balance plus his Serie A stats for the past 3 seasons are phenomenal. There's also less chance of Scamacca or Berardi flopping if we sign both as they already know each other inside out (similar to the Helveg-Bierhoff double signing in 1998).
I agree. We’ve built a good base with undervalued/unknown talents, I think it’s time for a couple of guarantees in attack now.

As much as we hate Berardi and say he’s slow, not skilled etc, he’s literally putting up Messi level numbers. That can’t be ignored.

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
We arent even that hated by juve and inter. After reading their forums, to me it seems that most of them rather see us win the league than see the other team between them win it. It's like they dislike us for being direct rivals and for what we've accomplished in CL, but not much for anything else. Outside of italy, most teams actually want to see us back among the elites
Inter and Juventus both want to be Milan, in reality. But because its unlikely that they'll ever be able to conjure that magic we have in Europe they settle for comparing who's bigger in Italy. Milan fans don't really care about that, we're competing with Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern, Barca, etc... let the peasants fight it out for who's a bigger bully.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Why man? Why? Dybala doesn't work hard, doesn't press, is expensive, and isn't fast.

Berardi, also slow, also does not press, and does not provide defensive cover.

Scamacca though? I'll take that.
Dybala is the best low budget solution available IF we don't have funds to sign the likes of Olmo, Nkunku or De Ketelaere. Also, even though he's not the hardest worker, he's Serie A proven and guarantees goals/assists and opportunities and you only need to look at the recent Coppa Italia final to see how he created something out of nothing several times.

Re Berardi, his lack of speed is massively exaggerated but hasn't stopped him from registering 3 seasons in a row of double digit figures in Serie A plus he's been our bogey man for years. Also, I don't know where you get the impression that he's not a hard worker as according to Whoscored he has double/triple the number of tackles, interceptions and clearances than Leao in ADDITION to averaging a goal/assist a GAME this season.

Also, there's more chance of Scamacca thriving if we sign Berardi too who's his chief supplier at Sassuolo and knows him inside out.

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
Above is a a classic example of taking the piss.

If he came for 50m, folks would be ok? Yeah, folk will be over the moon buying a dude that has averaged like 10 games a season for 50m.

It was already a bad idea whem we got Giroud as Ibra's backup last summer (knowing full well dude was gonna end up starting more games than Ibra). But no, lets give the starting CF to a dude that is literally 6th choice at his club because his entire reputation is built of scoring clutch goals for a well stacked team.

Yep, not gonna be a trainwreck at all.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
You realize that even if we manage to not win the scudetto (Which we won't because its impossible to beat Inter 🤘) we'd have our highest point total and finish in a decade. A lot of tough talk from someone who has ALREADY BEEN PROVEN WRONG.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Why would we loan out Pobega now that he is Serie A proven, we are already short on homegrown, young Italians. Also he is tall, so it makes even sense in terms of squad building.

Dybala is a certified passenger and far too old to change. Berardi on the other hand isn't even a lazy player.
We don't HAVE to loan out Pobega...it's just an option to sweeten the deal although his playing time might be limited next season with Renato, Benny, Adli + Tonali all ahead of him so he's probably better off leaving on loan at this critical point in his career.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
Gibbs-White would be a really good find.
Maybe I'm wrong but he looks different to your typical number 10. More physical. And he'll probably get even bigger and stronger. It doesn't stop him being nimble.

Not sure if it's realistic as we'd already have Adli as the inexperienced guy who you'd think is going to be back up.
I actually think Gibbs-White would hit the ground running better than Adli.
I don’t think Adli is going to be a back up.
Of course with the way we rotate, I’m sure on the first few month it’ll be a gradual introduction (or maybe even not).

I know people are in love with their statement signing but It’s weird that so many consider his as a “young backup” or “the inexperienced AM who should be Behind an experienced AM”

What’s experience? age?
The kid has been playing full season top football for 2 seasons close 35 games (2200-2500 mins) each. Last one as captain. And with good contribution in a not so great team
The season before that, his first , he played half of that, age 18-19?
That’s a lot more top flight experience than Tonali when we got him. And he came in to play not as backup…we needed 1 more mid, and Maldini chose the young Tonali.
Just like we need an AM and Maldini chose Adli.
Tonali took a season to get over his shyness and has now blossomed. Personally, I don’t think Adli will have that mental block, probably because he’s been playing top flight football for longer…the French and French speaking player will make him feel comfortable right away even the rest of the squad and staff is awesome. he also mentally strong kid, so won’t be shy (scared) anyway…

Adli is a FULL signing. Coming in to fit a role, Not some kid we’re looking to groom like Kalulu was considered…of course given his young age we still have to “groom” him to reach his full potential. But as it is right now he has enough “experience” to take on his new role.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
You realize that even if we manage to not win the scudetto (Which we won't because its impossible to beat Inter ) we'd have our highest point total and finish in a decade. A lot of tough talk from someone who has ALREADY BEEN PROVEN WRONG.
Wtf you on about?

How does that change from the fact that what a piss poor record Giroud has had in front of goal?. Heck, if anything, we would have wrapped up the Scudetto much earlier had we had a more competent forward infront of goal.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
I don’t think Adli is going to be a back up.
Of course with the way we rotate, I’m sure on the first few month it’ll be a gradual introduction (or maybe even not).

I know people are in love with their statement signing but It’s weird that so many consider his as a “young backup” or “the inexperienced AM who should be Behind an experienced AM”

What’s experience? age?
The kid has been playing full season top football for 2 seasons close 35 games (2200-2500 mins) each. Last one as captain. And with good contribution in a not so great team
The season before that, his first , he played half of that, age 18-19?
That’s a lot more top flight experience than Tonali when we got him. And he came in to play not as backup…we needed 1 more mid, and Maldini chose the young Tonali.
Just like we need an AM and Maldini chose Adli.
Tonali took a season to get over his shyness and has now blossomed. Personally, I don’t think Adli will have that mental block, probably because he’s been playing top flight football for longer…the French and French speaking player will make him feel comfortable right away even the rest of the squad and staff is awesome. he also mentally strong kid, so won’t be shy (scared) anyway…

Adli is a FULL signing. Coming in to fit a role, Not some kid we’re looking to groom like Kalulu was considered…of course given his young age we still have to “groom” him to reach his full potential. But as it is right now he has enough “experience” to take on his new role.
I've said it a few times, we aren't Bologna..your expectations aren't fitting what we should demand. Even if we only finished top 4, we cannot be satisfied or expect a guy from a relegation team in France to immediately be able to walk into our squad. There's a higher chance of him having an average to weak season than one where he matches the goals/assists we'd expect. That being said, I want to see him develop and giving opportunities in favourable situations. (where he has the best chance of doing well, with less pressure).

Just to add, if he was as amazing as you think, Bordeaux wouldn't have left him riding the bench in the crucial end to the season.

My point isn't that he's young and therefore has to be back up. It's that he has to prove that he's worthy of our trust to be counted on. His numbers aren't good even in a weaker league..so how can I expect he will push on? He may. But I like some sort of assurances. If he impresses in his first season, sure then he can be counted on. I'd start Krunic ahead of him, until he proves he's better.

Swagotelli

Supah Leagah!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Nesta, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Inzaghi, Maldini, Gattuso

#Milan’s poor player trading is one reason they have struggled financially. In 5 years up to 2020, they only made €72m profit here, which is miles below Juventus €563m, Roma €372m and Napoli €325m. In fact, only sold one player for a profit higher than €20m in last 4 years. :cry:

This looks likely to continue with recent trend of players leaving clubs for free - but prob can benefit as well with more free deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule