The Rumour Commode XXXVI - Mission Accomplished Edition

Zaniolo al Milan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patosheva

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Isnt redbird the owner of New York Yankees? Dont the Yankees constantly have one of the highest payrools in baseball? Didnt redbird say they want to build in that style? So what the fuck is the problem?

I know there is a cultural difference when it comes to USA and European sports but I fully expect RedBird to invest.
no,they arent owners.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like Botman is not a priority now?

Yeah that interview only confirmed Origi. Everything else is up in the air.

The sale is so important. The budget, renewals from Maldini to the squad, transfer strategies, a lot rides on it. Really hope its finished soon. As i see it the maximum time frame should be one month, when Maldinis and Massaras contracts are up.

I would add that the interview also confirmed Rebic to a degree, and reinforced what most of us thought. We’re most likely not getting another striker past Origi.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Here's how I see it.

Maldini is aiming higher than what he thinks Elliott or the new owners will aim for. Maldini wants to challenge for and win the CL.

We always assumed that the new owners will renew Maldini no matter what, they'd be stupid not to. That's always been true.

What Maldini has done with this interview is to raise the stakes. He's basically saying "I'm the one who needs to be convinced to stay". He wants to know from Elliott or RedBird that they share the same ambitions. If they say the right things and guarantee him the funds to get the 3 players he wants and that they all share the same ambition to win, then we can carry on. If they sound less ambitious and talk about competing with the rest of the Serie A retards for the title every year, then he might walk away with his pride and a job well done, and his hint that Leao might want to leave too is another bit of pressure that the players want to raise the bar as well.

It's partly a bluff, i'm sure. He's using the insane amount of political will he's gained over the last three seasons to pressure the owners into raising the bar. He's doing it publicly and risking the consequences because that's the only way he can force the issue out in the light. They have to answer him now. They have to say yes, of course we agree with Maldini that Milan needs to challenge for the CL... If they renew him that means that they agree, and we can carry on with daPlan+. The other alternative is that Elliott or RedBird never cared about challenging, and the title was a pleasant but unplanned surprise, and all that mattered was CL qualification and the stadium. If that's the case, then Maldini walks. We'll know soon enough.

Maldini had this one opportunity before the closing to put immense pressure on RedBird (or Elliott) to declare their ambitions and to raise the bar. Had he stayed silent and signed the contract, then he's part of the team no matter what direction they take, and he has to toe the line. He's taking a big risk because if they have no intention of raising the bar then they'll make that clear to him and he won't be a part of Milan going forward and everything goes to shit.

I think what he's doing is risky but it's a calculated risk. He knows how important he is, for the players and for the fans. He has them all on his side. All he cares about is the sporting success of Milan and long term, sustained glory (as well as maximizing his contract and power, of course).

I didn't expect him to do this, I was hoping that this sort of thing was already ironed out and the management was clear about future strategy and direction. They might be, and Maldini is just playing his cards to make it all public before the new owners get a chance of changing the narrative, or maybe he's just frustrated that it's taking so long that his deals are getting delayed and agents are pressuring him to make a move or lose the deal.
Ye

I still dont believe Elliott really cared about winning the Scudetto and the fact that we did despite all the odds was a pleasant surprise to them.

There is a reason they didnt invest back in Jan when it was brutally obvious that we desperately needed reinforcements in attack and had a good chance to win the Scudetto. Maldini himself said he was given no budget in January in his interview.

So as much good has Elliott done for the club, none of it is truly altruistic. They are being lauded now because MMM and Pioli did a miraculous job with the resources that they were provided and managed to do the unthinkable.

And tbh, I really dont blame them either. They are a hedge fund, they dont care about winning titles. All they care about is making a good return on their investment which they have done. They came to possess the club purely due to getting a highly valued asset at a cut price deal.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So maldini doing a boban...

But i thought boban was the bad guy?

@Alo88?

This is not comparable to Bobans case. Not in terms of words used and context.

That being said I agree with brks post that it's very annoying things doesn't seem to have been ironed out already and Elliott seems to have a thing with not talking to his most important employees in such delicate and crucial phases.

It's unexpected indeed. I hope things will be sorted out soon enough. It'd be madness not to continue with MMM and to buy a club for almost 2B (1,8B it's rumored) only to keep it in the limbo of the best 6 domestic teams.

But we've experienced more than enough mad things with this club in order to not rest 100% assured this won't happen. We'll have to wait and see. But yes, I'm not exactly calm right now but sitting on the edge of my seat, impatiently waiting for the hopefully best outcome, just like the rest of you. It'd be a massive and insufferable letdown to loose Maldini just after winning the most beautiful Scudetto in our clubs history.

Last edited:

patosheva

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This is not comparable to Bobans case. Not in terms of words used and context.

That being said I agree with brks post that it's very annoying things doesn't seem to have been ironed out already and Elliott seems to have a thing with not talking to his most important employees in such delicate and crucial phases.

It's unexpected indeed. I hope things will be sorted out soon enough. It'd be madness not to continue with MMM and to buy a club for almost 2B (1,8B it's rumored) only to keep it in the limbo of the best 6 domestic teams.

But we've experienced more than enough mad things with this club in order to not rest 100% assured this won't happen. We'll have to wait and see. But yes, I'm not exactly calm right now bit sitting on the edge of my seat, impatiently waiting for the hopefully best outcome, just like the rest of you. It'd be a massive and insufferable letdown to loose Maldini just after winning the most beautiful Scudetto in our clubs history.
There will be no best outcome,THEIR GOL IS TO MAKE MONEY AND NOT MAKE US WIN THAT IS IT

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So most of you now agree that elliot and redshit now dont have anything wit winning scudeto and that investing in future with them going to be minimum,
all success is on capitano masara and oadre pioli .

If you were here in the last couple of months, you'd know that even the most enthusiastic supporters of da Plan supported the thesis that Elliotts big picture isn't about winning Scudetto.

But hey don't stop annoying us now, pls carry on...

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
After this inte. i tought you couldnt make more shit but again bravo to you ,made it sound like you know this all the time.
How? I've literally said I was surprised. I'm just trying to make sense of why he said it, why now, and what he might be trying to gain from it.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i believe alot of posters here disagree, they think because we won one time without investing it will continue to be he trend for years to come.
I don't care about the scudetto anymore, I want the CL. To get that we need to invest. Botman, Renato, Origi and a RW. That's what Maldini wants, and that's what he thinks will help us to challenge for the CL.

Who here wants us to just stay as we are?

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

The sale is so important. The budget, renewals from Maldini to the squad, transfer strategies, a lot rides on it. Really hope its finished soon. As i see it the maximum time frame should be one month, when Maldinis and Massaras contracts are up.

I would add that the interview also confirmed Rebic to a degree, and reinforced what most of us thought. We’re most likely not getting another striker past Origi.
I'm not sure it confirmed Rebic. I think Rebic is probably gone, to Wolfsburg most likely. Maldini mentioned him to lower expectations that we're getting another forward, probably to give him better negotiating leverage.

Ryo

Billy's Right Peg
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Billy, George, Marco, Paolo, Charles, Fik, Pierre, Mike & Rafa

Redbird's owners are already in Milan to sort out the purchase.
They've also been looking at the plots of land where we could build our Milan-only Stadium.

Pretty sure once they finalize the purchase of the 70% of Milan with Elliot, then everything will be set into motion.

As for the striker portion, he mentioned "Everything will be according to the budget"
Basically a *wink, wink, nudge, nudge "You new owners better have a budget for me to buy the players I need"* moment.

Paolo Maldini gave a very interesting and long interview to the microphones of La Gazzetta dello Sport as he discussed multiple topics.

Perhaps what caught the attention of many readers are his words about the renewal and not being called to the table even for simple discussions with club owners Elliott Management Corporation (full interview HERE).

Now, as reported by Corriere dello Sport, the American hedge fund have held talks in the last few hours with the former legendary captain of the red and black faithful in order to reach an agreement for a contract renewal. RedBird, for their part, appreciate Paolo Maldini’s work and his role should be confirmed with them as well in case the purchase of the club successfully goes through

If what @Hitchens mentioned to have happened after this interview is confirmed, I do believe that Maldini pretty much holds all the cards on the table right now relating to the sporting project.

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
Here's how I see it.

Maldini is aiming higher than what he thinks Elliott or the new owners will aim for. Maldini wants to challenge for and win the CL.

We always assumed that the new owners will renew Maldini no matter what, they'd be stupid not to. That's always been true.

What Maldini has done with this interview is to raise the stakes. He's basically saying "I'm the one who needs to be convinced to stay". He wants to know from Elliott or RedBird that they share the same ambitions. If they say the right things and guarantee him the funds to get the 3 players he wants and that they all share the same ambition to win, then we can carry on. If they sound less ambitious and talk about competing with the rest of the Serie A retards for the title every year, then he might walk away with his pride and a job well done, and his hint that Leao might want to leave too is another bit of pressure that the players want to raise the bar as well.

It's partly a bluff, i'm sure. He's using the insane amount of political will he's gained over the last three seasons to pressure the owners into raising the bar. He's doing it publicly and risking the consequences because that's the only way he can force the issue out in the light. They have to answer him now. They have to say yes, of course we agree with Maldini that Milan needs to challenge for the CL... If they renew him that means that they agree, and we can carry on with daPlan+. The other alternative is that Elliott or RedBird never cared about challenging, and the title was a pleasant but unplanned surprise, and all that mattered was CL qualification and the stadium. If that's the case, then Maldini walks. We'll know soon enough.

Maldini had this one opportunity before the closing to put immense pressure on RedBird (or Elliott) to declare their ambitions and to raise the bar. Had he stayed silent and signed the contract, then he's part of the team no matter what direction they take, and he has to toe the line. He's taking a big risk because if they have no intention of raising the bar then they'll make that clear to him and he won't be a part of Milan going forward and everything goes to shit.

I think what he's doing is risky but it's a calculated risk. He knows how important he is, for the players and for the fans. He has them all on his side. All he cares about is the sporting success of Milan and long term, sustained glory (as well as maximizing his contract and power, of course).

I didn't expect him to do this, I was hoping that this sort of thing was already ironed out and the management was clear about future strategy and direction. They might be, and Maldini is just playing his cards to make it all public before the new owners get a chance of changing the narrative, or maybe he's just frustrated that it's taking so long that his deals are getting delayed and agents are pressuring him to make a move or lose the deal.
LOVE the sounds of DaPlan +

I think it needs a better name though

If DaPlan was Dortmund, DaPlan + is Bayern

• Thumbs Up
Reactions: brk

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
So most of you now agree that elliot and redshit now dont have anything wit winning scudeto and that investing in future with them going to be minimum,
No one agrees. But after the interview we’ll find out pretty soon.

Maldini will probably sit down with them and if he doesn’t get the guarantees he needs, he walks out before June 30th.

Considering where we are, and how much RB paid for the club - it would be STUPID not to take the next step.

With another 2 years of sustained investment, we could win 8 scudetto in a row, at least 2 CL titles, anew stadium, and vastly improved sponsorships.

This can easy become a 3B+ value club in another 5-6 years if managed well. The platform is set, time for RB to give Maldini what he asked for

Ryo

Billy's Right Peg
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Billy, George, Marco, Paolo, Charles, Fik, Pierre, Mike & Rafa
Here's how I see it.

Maldini's interview pretty much confirms this point:

If he is the right man to open a cycle : “ He is certainly an important component. Then of course there must be the will of the club to open a cycle . Today Milan with a high-level strategic vision can go on to compete next year with the biggest ones. If, on the other hand, we chose a vision of maintenance, without investments, without an idea from Milan we would remain in limbo among the best six or seven teams in Italy to try to win back the Scudetto and qualify for the Champions League. This is why it is time for the owners, Elliott or the one that might arrive, to close the three-year period and understand what strategy they want for the future . With two or three major purchases and the consolidation of the players that we have we can compete for something bigger in the Champions “.

Had to go back to highlight this part since a bunch on the commoders seem to have either missed out on it, or misinterpreted it.
As veiled threats go, this is as obvious and thin as they come.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Where are brk.and that piguen redshit suporters
I'm right here, waiting patiently for the RedBird takeover to happen, and once that does is when Maldini and Massara's contracts will be renewed - under the new ownership. Both Elliot and RedBird have spoken about how they are wanting to keep them on. Maldini is just speaking out to let them know they better action it and give him a budget to begin the CL cycle now instead of in 2-3 years. Good on him. Bring in new players of quality, bring on contract renewals. We will succeed.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Sorry but that was a DUMB move by Maldini to openly criticise Elliott in the media - doesn't he remember what happened to Zvone re Rangnick?! After all, Elliott are on the verge of selling the club and therefore, it will be for the new owners to renew contracts etc. (just like Elliott fired Mirabellend + Fassone after taking over). Also, NOBODY is going to get rid of a management team who just won the Scudetto with the youngest/cheapest team in Europe especially when the leader is a club ICON :lol::fp:

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'd say I'm a rather positive minded character most of the times. When I was a child my mom used to tell me: "Worry when what you're worrying about actually takes place, not a minute before. There's enough time to worry afterwards while every second you worried beforehand is waisted precious lifetime."

I life by it and I think it's a way more joyfully way of living your life than constantly worrying, bitching, moaning and getting angry.

Let's hope the reports about takeover being imminent are true. Can't stand that takeover limbo. And then Redbird guys hopefully have some good reasons for Maldini to stay. Because as brk said: It's Maldini who has to be convinced to stay, not vice versa.

Logic says if Redbird would have wanted a club they can moneyball into the limbo of domestic Top 6 they could have gone for Udinese or Sassuolo in the first place, no need to spend such humongous amounts of money for Milan. I'll stick to that until proven otherwise, perfectly knowing that it is a scenario that can happen too, but one I won't start to worry about until it's actually happening.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
You forget the most important part...

Maldini spoke out multiple times against Berlusconi (banter era) and Yonghong Li's time at the helm and did not want to join. Elliot take over, they set out a vision that we all know was the medium-long term that Maldini wanted to be a part of. He is here because of them. RedBird will want to keep him on, him and Massara just built a Scudetto winning squad with little budget. Imagine what they could do with more money? Maldini is saying he wants to accelerate the project with 3 key players. Perhaps we only get 1-2, and we have to wait another year or two afterward, but in any case the project will go on. Whether next year or in two years, this path we are on will continue.

CanUNoTouch

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There are far too many to name past & present
Redbird will not want a fan revolve as soon as they take over if they don't reup Paolo and co.

Gennaro8

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Maldini said what is Important to do in the future. He didn't insult anyone. Elliott or RedBird know this, they know that team must be improved. Goal is championship again and good run in the Europe.

So what is the prolem?

I don't know why arre you so sure that new owners wont invest? Maybe not 200M+ but 120-150M is realistic

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Disappointing words re Botman as I REALLY wanted him here after learning that his mistakes haven't led to a single goal being conceded in the past 2 seasons in Ligue 1. However, Paolo usually works in secrecy as only Tonali, Giroud, Baka + Ibra have been the well publicised names we actually ended up signing whereas the rest have been a complete surprise. Therefore, there's already too much smoke regarding the names of Botman + Sanches and we'll probably end up signing neither. Also, Paolo's words about making '2-3 major purchases' could also impact these signings too e.g. Koulibaly, SMS etc.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ye

I still dont believe Elliott really cared about winning the Scudetto and the fact that we did despite all the odds was a pleasant surprise to them.

There is a reason they didnt invest back in Jan when it was brutally obvious that we desperately needed reinforcements in attack and had a good chance to win the Scudetto. Maldini himself said he was given no budget in January in his interview.

So as much good has Elliott done for the club, none of it is truly altruistic. They are being lauded now because MMM and Pioli did a miraculous job with the resources that they were provided and managed to do the unthinkable.

And tbh, I really dont blame them either. They are a hedge fund, they dont care about winning titles. All they care about is making a good return on their investment which they have done. They came to possess the club purely due to getting a highly valued asset at a cut price deal.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I think the freeze was imposed. I guess in a way, you could argue that they could have invested even if they knew they were about to sell the club... It seemed likely that we were getting Renato and that deal collapsed at the last moment because the funds weren't released. We also could have gotten Botman early because of the injuries. They didn't allow that and even though we still won, it was an unnecessary risk.

I agree that Elliott and RedBird probably don't care about winning titles for the sake of the glory. Winning titles is however a way to gain brand awareness, and sponsorships, and a lot of revenue. Fan passion means stadiums are full and buying lots of merch. Maldini wants to win for the glory, Elliott/Redbird want to win for the money. They both share the same goal for different reasons. The question Maldini is asking is how much do you want to risk to win. How much are you willing to spend. I need these three players now to challenge for the CL, will you allocate the funds in the budget for it, or do you want to risk not winning again?

Status
Not open for further replies.