The Rumour Commode XXXVII: Mercato Dyspnea

Next commode name? (can select several options, anonymous voting)

• The Final Meltdown

Votes: 64 53.3%
  • Next Week is our Week

Votes: 69 57.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Redeeming Messias and extending Giroud

larry-david-curb-your-enthusiasm.gif

it should be signing Ziyech and renewing Leao

stevan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Now you are lost down your own rabbit hole 🤣🤣🤣

I have very much been on the side of Milan spending much more and going for players like Julian Alvarez and Darwin - I said Di Maria would be a great move if we could get him.

But OK - whatever

Spending smart is for clubs like Arsenal. I want to spend lots. Outbid other teams.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
I agree with you fundamentally. Really.

But as I sat in the car today I thought, "brk is right on the money, and ROSSONERI7 as well, on most of the expectation adjustment." However, it dawned on me when I listened to the Romano podcast how very much this now also is a part of the sport. It isn't, but it is. Football is 24/7 now. The actual seasons and results is what matters, and our results is what we live by.

But the mercato has become a sport of its own. Luckily we have Paolo Maldini running it, and he's building smartly for continued growth. PL clubs are showcasing how you're able to be the toast of the town without actually delivering sporting results, but for us? It doesn't matter. We are in good hands. But we shouldn't laugh a the transfer market part of football, it's become a huge part of it and belongs in your best-of-the-forum-poster outlook.

I don't want to win the mercato, but I kinda do. In the meantime I think our windows are awesome, we've taken a hard decision on being smarter than everyone else.

still give you a star, even though you still wanna score mercato points. it's the main trophy for a lot of fans.
in year or 2 you'll get over it, since you're a reasonable, logical person...some will always go off about not signing blockbusters name even after we win CL...and i enjoy their frustration (i'm done explaining).

bonus: pic of the biggest ever mercato win!
192566.webp

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Me!!!!

Sometimes against Brk or Sam....last year v Curu

Mostly around spending / keeping players
I thought I was considered a part of the Sam/brk brain defect. Elated to see I'm not.

The "selling" part of the complainer brigade(@Wild @papaberlu) etc is annoying me because it's not rational to me. The easiness of claiming we sell badly(which is obviously the case), fails to take the taxing steps of understanding why it's happening. I think our bad selling is deserved, it's the consequence of having shit players no one wants. I can't think of us selling badly in the Maldini reign. The non-renewals is the same, I don't understand how anyone can produce a thinking argument saying it's our fault. Do you?

Longbowman

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Sheva, Nesta, Gattuso, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo, R9, Zizou, Nistelrooy, Etoo
I dunno what happened to Torres. His fall at Chelsea was... insane.
A bit like Sheva and Kaka'.. he was getting injured on a regular basis from 2008-09 season.. but when he was fit, he was scoring.. so people didn't notice how many games he were missing due to injuries.. he had a very serious knee injury in the end of 2009-10 season.. 2010-11 season beginning at Liverpool, i remember he was poor but Chelsea were stupid to still sign him for that money.. probably Liverpool knew his legs were gone already.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
But the mercato has become a sport of its own. Luckily we have Paolo Maldini running it, and he's building smartly for continued growth. PL clubs are showcasing how you're able to be the toast of the town without actually delivering sporting results, but for us? It doesn't matter. We are in good hands. But we shouldn't laugh a the transfer market part of football, it's become a huge part of it and belongs in your best-of-the-forum-poster outlook.
It's like how the NFL/NBA draft become the center of a lot of fans' attention.

The Patriots seldom win the draft. They seldom make huge splashes. Their entire ethos is that it's better to trade a player away a year early rather than a year late.

The Patriots are so good at this, that their draft approach is watched simply to see how they go against the grain, their coaches and management give very little information out--so there's a place in this male soap opera to not follow other teams' storylines.

I don't think we currently have the revenue to participate in this game in a way that is meaningful (like Real, City, etc) to be honest. I'm not sure if Maldini even has interest in it, I guess when Milan has a stadium and 500m in revenue, we'll find out. My theory is that management uses the hype around prices to ensure they can get value, while also taking advantage of this systemic mindset in acquiring players where others (in our bracket) would not think to look.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think this is true of Real Madrid. They use that strategy, openly, and unlike most of the teams who have attempted to emulate this model, they've been successful with it. That's because they have been and are a state-backed club. To their credit, they have used this backing to ensure they maximize the money of the casual fan (I'll come back to this).

However, we are not (on the cusp) of losing CDK to Leeds because of money, or because of poverty, but because of strategy. Leeds make around 50% less than we do (based on projections) and there might be a significant gap in TV revenues, but... in overall revenues, we make a lot more than them.

This is where/why I disagree with you. If CDK goes to Leeds, it won't be because of financial power, it will be due to strategy choice. When Elliott first came here, with Leonardo in charge, he spent big money. He wasted all of it. We cannot compete, financially, with Real, Bayern, Juve, Man Utd, etc. If you run things smart, you don't have to, that's the point. We are not in financial competition with Leeds or West Ham, we just choose not to pay what they pay for CDK (reportedly) or Vlasic.

Fans complain about all sorts of things, unless you're winning. Winning cures all. Our revenue is exploding because we're winning, fans aren't wringing their hands saying: "well, shit, if we don't get this CDK deal done... that's humiliating." Casuals is where the money is, and they care very little about statement signings. It gets some people in, for sure. No doubt, but, what gets you the increased revenue, the crazy sponsorships, and all that, so you can go big, is winning.

If we were trying to compete for Camavinga, sure, I'd get what you're saying. We're not though. This isn't about our comparative poverty to Real, because, again, we make more money than Leeds, have more money than Leeds, this is about what we think a player is worth. And quite frankly, I think even when our revenues push 400-500, I don't think we will be deviating from this model very much--much like Liverpool spend comparatively far less than others in their income bracket.
But the strategy we adopted is partly due to the hand dealt (uefa sanctions, not having a stadium, not having EPL tv deal). It’s not like we have EPL money but we just chose to be thrifty. Mistakes like Paqueta and Piatek cost us a lot more than Vlasic did for Everton.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
still give you a star, even though you still wanna score mercato points. it's the main trophy for a lot of fans.
in year or 2 you'll get over it, since you're a reasonable, logical person...some will always go off about not signing blockbusters name even after we win CL...and i enjoy their frustration (i'm done explaining).

bonus: pic of the biggest ever mercato win!
192566.webp
You do choose to talk down to me from your no-mercato-no-trouble persona, as if you're takes are isolated.

I'm a modern Milan mercato fan. Me trying to broaden the picture and acting like a little girl once a week doesn't change my preference: the very end of the mercato is to grow the team. As a major defender of last years summer window I'd thought you would've considered me something other than a headline hunter.

I'm wholesome bro. You couldn't even spin Bakayoko entering Casa Milan. But no one can match your reflections, I think I speak for many here when I say that I read many of your posts chuckling at how nicely you toy with subjects.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It's like how the NFL/NBA draft become the center of a lot of fans' attention.

The Patriots seldom win the draft. They seldom make huge splashes. Their entire ethos is that it's better to trade a player away a year early rather than a year late.

The Patriots are so good at this, that their draft approach is watched simply to see how they go against the grain, their coaches and management give very little information out--so there's a place in this male soap opera to not follow other teams' storylines.

I don't think we currently have the revenue to participate in this game in a way that is meaningful (like Real, City, etc) to be honest. I'm not sure if Maldini even has interest in it, I guess when Milan has a stadium and 500m in revenue, we'll find out. My theory is that management uses the hype around prices to ensure they can get value, while also taking advantage of this systemic mindset in acquiring players where others (in our bracket) would not think to look.
It's a useless game.

I'm simply putting forth non-partisan perspectives here, buddy.

• Star
Reactions: vB9

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
I thought I was considered a part of the Sam/brk brain defect. Elated to see I'm not.

The "selling" part of the complainer brigade(@Wild @papaberlu) etc is annoying me because it's not rational to me. The easiness of claiming we sell badly(which is obviously the case), fails to take the taxing steps of understanding why it's happening. I think our bad selling is deserved, it's the consequence of having shit players no one wants. I can't think of us selling badly in the Maldini reign. The non-renewals is the same, I don't understand how anyone can produce a thinking argument saying it's our fault. Do you?
Nope - in the heat of it it seemed like we were not doing the right thing but after playing things back there isn't much more that we could've done.

rossonero23

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, nesta, gattuso, seedorf
If we can't compete financially withwith bottom feeder EPL teams then how do we compete with bigger teams??
Maldini mentioned regular champions league football...but I'm not sure.

Kasoka

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Shevchenko, Gattuso, Ambrosini
Another season with with Messias and Saelemakers as RW. Contract until 2025 for Messias, contract until 2026 for Saele. Good luck getting rid of either anytime soon, but i know half the forum is just going to act like that's going to be a walk in the park. What a bummer.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nope - in the heat of it it seemed like we were not doing the right thing but after playing things back there isn't much more that we could've done.

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I’d love the big money spending and signings, but I still think this model can and will prove effective over time. It might not be immediate results obviously. But, to say this scudetto was extremely satisfying would be an understatement, though I loved it even more because it felt like the right way and wasn’t just purchased. It was a hell of a ride to get to this point.

yungeddy

Banned
Reaction score
If we can't compete financially withwith bottom feeder EPL teams then how do we compete with bigger teams??
Maldini mentioned regular champions league football...but I'm not sure.
After capitalism-era maybe we can compete with PL..after world has burned down

Until then..enjoy getting outbid by shamrock rovers

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Spending smart is for clubs like Arsenal. I want to spend lots. Outbid other teams.
I don't mind spending smart - I just want to be able to spend more

I don't want to entertain every reason why Scammaca may be a good player when looking for every reason why Darwin may flop.

I don't want to continue on with half players on the right for 4-5 years in hope that one day we may have someone competent.

If Milan is this big club that's coming to dominate CL then let's get players in that will achieve that ...and they don't need to be all 100 mill players but I don't expect them to be Messias Bakayoko and Giroud.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

You were but sometimes you have mini meltdowns and a little bit of negativity, which we obviously thrive off

Gennaro8

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Another season with with Messias and Saelemakers as RW. Contract until 2025 for Messias, contract until 2026 for Saele. Good luck getting rid of either anytime soon, but i know half the forum is just going to act like that's going to be a walk in the park. What a bummer.
RW and AMF are coming, with or without Messias and Sale. Everybody in the club know what we need, everybody in the world knows that. We need to stay calm. Me first, but I can't

stevan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't mind spending smart - I just want to be able to spend more

I don't want to entertain every reason why Scammaca may be a good player when looking for every reason why Darwin may flop.

I don't want to continue on with half players on the right for 4-5 years in hope that one day we may have someone competent.

If Milan is this big club that's coming to dominate CL then let's get players in that will achieve that ...and they don't need to be all 100 mill players but I don't expect them to be Messias Bakayoko and Giroud.

Cheap and smart signings won't work out most of the time. If it did, every club would be doing it.

I'm not saying we should be overpaying but loosing players over 10m is pathetic. This whole "it's a strategy" excuse is weird. We can value a player at any number but if there are other clubs involved then we actually need to spend money.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
05fe6400609ddad7a42500dd5bf2a27f.gif

Sounds like Hitch wants to fight.
That would be fighting over nothing. The reason I don't bother posting much stuff beyond a few sentences is that it would be repeating something @brk says.

Credit where credits due, he is a phenomenal contributor. As are you.

As I said I thought I was considered one of you guys, but turns out I'm not. Nothing worse than being a type :D

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
You do choose to talk down to me from your no-mercato-no-trouble persona, as if you're takes are isolated.

I'm a modern Milan mercato fan. Me trying to broaden the picture and acting like a little girl once a week doesn't change my preference: the very end of the mercato is to grow the team. As a major defender of last years summer window I'd thought you would've considered me something other than a headline hunter.

I'm wholesome bro. You couldn't even spin Bakayoko entering Casa Milan. But no one can match your reflections, I think I speak for many here when I say that I read many of your posts chuckling at how nicely you toy with subjects.
NEVER, is my intention to downtalk anyone. guess i gotta check myself.

i do think sometimes, you "play a role" by riling up the tantrum thowers by posting reports they feed on....trying to keep the place entertaining? probably.

i think i have a ADHD (think..because Africans don't go get diagnosed for such shits)... so my reflections and post could be all over the place sometimes...and some not even capturing accurately what i really want to say... but if it brings you chuckles. it served a purpose at least lol.

Love you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule